Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol - 2/25/03 - Group #4

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
This is a competition for being a singing star, a job that entails looking at the right camera at the right time in televised performances. If they can't handle that, they shouldn't be on the show.
I beg to differ. Did you see anyone staring at every single camera at the Grammy awards during performances? I didn't. (Eminem was too busy reading a Tele-Promp-Ter)

Professionals don't look into every camera they see. It's taboo. I am a television director and we do not tolerate it. It's ugly.
Old 02-26-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
While I think it's distasteful to see these wannabe's go off on Randy and Simon, another part of me finds it somewhat entertaining to see young people so out of touch with reality.
Old 02-26-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
The judges do somewhat affect how people vote. Of course, the inclusion of Jim last year was mainly because of a hatred of Simon. But even their comments could make an average viewer think someone sang beautifully when they were only decent. Of course, they aren't the only factors:

The reaction of the contestants to criticism is a major factor, at least to me, on whether I'll vote for them. If they give off a lot of attitude, like most of them did last night, it makes me believe that they have no shot, because they're not humble enough to learn from anyone. Justin from last year was smart enough to apologize for his outburst...

Editing, at least of the audition episodes, had a lot to do with it. That Hercules guy got in probably because people remembered him from the auditions. I have to believe that Kimberly Cauldwell was hurt in the voting not by her performance, but by the editing of that episode where it seemed like she froze out Julia.

The demographic that you appeal to. I have to believe that Nikki was carried last year at least partly because she appealed to a demographic that was far different from the other contestants. Justin was carried, I assume, largely by swooning teen girls. There are people who will vote for the marine because he's a marine. Of course, there are also people who won't vote for him because of that very fact.

And, oh yeah, talent too. Say what you will about Clarkson, but she was the best talent among the top 10, with Tamyra arguably being right up there with her.
Old 02-26-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What I find sort of interesting is that we may end up with more guys in the top 10 (last year, it think it was 5-5):

Ricky
Joshua
Corey
Ruben
Charles
(Clay - my guess)

And only 4 girls:

Julia
Kimberly Locke
Vanessa
(Kimberly Caldwell - my guess).

I don't see another girl moving ahead of Clay.
Old 02-26-03, 03:02 PM
Suspended

Man how in the world did that "rocker" and "helium voiced" chick get this far. Man they SUCKED! Also that girl who wants to be a diva, I cant wait to see her face when she is told bye bye tonight!
Old 02-26-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Worst group by far. That rocker guy cracks me up.... I'll bet his "rockin" isn't much to see either. What's up with those girls talking back so much? Just not very good.
Old 02-26-03, 05:26 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
I really expected someone to break out with, "Wha'eva' ... I do what I want!!!" It was like Jerry Springer in there.

das

I just got around to watching it and that was bad. The Juanita thing was hilarious, I can't believe she thought that song was a good idea. You'd think these morons would realize attacking the judges is not the way to get into the top 10.

Josh and Corey were probably the top 2 but that isn't saying much.
Old 02-26-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In a different venue, the rocker would probably do all right, but his vocal talent ain't made for piano accompanyment.
Old 02-26-03, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
hey, outta curiosity - did Kimberly from the first week make the wildcard show? didn't catch it.
Old 02-26-03, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by RichC2
hey, outta curiosity - did Kimberly from the first week make the wildcard show? didn't catch it.
yeah her and clay both made it along with others
Old 02-26-03, 08:11 PM

Wild Card Lineup:

Aliceyn Cooney (Non-Finalist)
Janine Falsone (Non-Finalist)
Olivia Mojica (Non-Finalist)
Carmen Rasmusen (Non-Finalist)
Kimberly Caldwell
Trenyce
Clay Aiken
Chip Days
Nasheka Siddall

7 girls and 2 guys.. geez. And what the hell is up with Hadas not coming back? I'm extremely disappointed..
Old 02-26-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Poor Patrick. They really put him through the ringer tonight, and he came away with nothing to show for it.

das
Old 02-26-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Who were the two that made it?
Old 02-26-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth outcastja •<HR SIZE=1>Who were the two that made it? <HR SIZE=1>

No surprises ... Corey and Josh.

das
Old 02-26-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mark my word, Clay Aiken is gonna win AI 2003.
Old 02-26-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

what I found suprising is how they allowed themselves to "look over people in previous rounds".
They are admitting their mistakes in not choosing wildcards from the 32 FINALISTS!!! Not enough talent.

But HOW IN THE HELL, did TWO people from last nights TERRIBLE show make it to the WILDCARDS!?!?!!

It's sad if Clay and Kimberly don't make the final 10, with what else has passed through!
Old 02-26-03, 10:37 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Unless they screw up Kimberly and Clay are locks for the final ten. The only one I see coming close is Trenyce.
Old 02-26-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aliceyn Cooney...
Old 02-26-03, 11:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
When Simon mentioned the big "twist" in the wildcard show, my wife predicted that they'll bring back Frenchie.
Old 02-27-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So, Joshua and Corey move on to the Top 10.

The Wildcard round next week is going to feature 5 from the remaining 24 (Clay, Kimberly Caldwell, Trenyce, Chip, and Nasheka), and then the judges are bringing back 4 "overlooked" contestants (Aliceyn Cooney, Carmen Rasmussen, Janine Falsone, and Olivia Mojica).

Since there are already 5 guys from the 8 going on to the final 10, it seems the judges went overboard in loading up 7 girls, and 2 guys for the Wildcard round. This doesn't bode well for Clay (I don't think Chip has a shot). I also don't think Nasheka has a shot. Kimberly is still the odds-on slam dunk to get into the top 10, but then you have the last one coming from the group of Aliceyn, Olivia, Janine, Trenyce, and Carmen.
Old 02-27-03, 09:35 AM

When Simon mentioned the big "twist" in the wildcard show, my wife predicted that they'll bring back Frenchie.
My fiancé and I thought the same thing. I hope that's it, but if it is, it doesn't bode well for Clay (Kim Caldwell has a spot locked up I think).
Old 02-27-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by zuffy
Mark my word, Clay Aiken is gonna win AI 2003.

I'm going to have to remember that. Sorry, but it's not happening. I think Josh the Marine has a big advantage over everyone right now, not that I'd vote for him.
Old 02-27-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Roto •<HR SIZE=1>
I'm going to have to remember that. Sorry, but it's not happening. I think Josh the Marine has a big advantage over everyone right now, not that I'd vote for him.
<HR SIZE=1>

You're not holding the fact that he couldn't even get 1st or 2nd from his own group or the fact that the competition is male-overloaded already are you, because that's ... well ... um ... ok ... that makes sense.

das
Old 02-27-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If I remember correctly, this season the audience picks one of the Wild Cards and the judges pick the other. So unless the audience picks Clay, I don't think the judges will pick him since Simon and Randy say he doesn't have the look.
Old 02-27-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew Sideshow Bob v 2.0 would make one of the spots. UGH! His voice is too high pitched. I don't know what the judges saw in him either.

The marine was a shoe-in. There were so many guys who sang that song, "I'll be."

I liked the black girl. She wasn't as expressive as she should have been but she definitely could sing. At least, she was brought back in as a wild card.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.