TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86

The thing is though he’s the one who started it and he must have had an idea that he’d get some backlash from comic fans and the media. He chose to attack a group for mourning the death of someone beloved to their community. There wasn’t really a reason for him to go after that group other than him not being a fan or understanding why adults like comic related media. It’s different than his normal political leanings and having a stance on a politician, event, or whatever. Also I would say if he wants it to stop this retort probably isn’t going to help matters.
His original blog post makes it clear that he thinks "the comic book thing" is a symptom of a larger problem in America that has led to the Trump presidency. Sort of an Idiocracy thing. Adults are expending too much time and energy on entertainment intended for children, which is keeping them from thinking about the important issues in our society like climate change and weed legalization.
Old 01-27-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Bill should have had a medical expert on that panel. He said some things that are just factually wrong (ear infections are not on the increase, they are dramatically decreased since the advent of pneumococcal vaccine, vaccines do not suppress the immune system). And his panel agreed that people should be vaccinated for Measles but kind of came off like you should pick and choose which ones are important. There should have been some doctor or scientist to explain to him that the science is sound. His argument that medical science is much less reliable than earth science is completely wrong. Yes medical treatments have changed over time. But so has earth science. We used to think it was fine to burn trash or dump it in the ocean as long as we didn’t littler. We used to think aerosols were okay until we didn’t. Fertilizer has changed many times over, so have weed killers. The basic tenants of science dictate that you learn from your data, refine and adapt. I am not saying skepticism is a bad thing, but vaccines are technical and important enough that if you want to discuss them at length with a panel, you should have somebody there who knows a lot about them rather than just folks who have opinions and feelings about the subject.
Old 01-27-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
He didn't attack them for mourning Stan Lee. He attacked them for the way they were mourning him. Stan's death got it's 3 minutes at the end of the nightly news as was appropriate. It's not like Stan and comics had a huge impact in forming out culture like Dylan, Beatles or Elvis.
I think that’s pretty debatable. Just because something isn’t important to you doesn’t mean it’s not still hugely culturally significant. Marvel has been a pretty big part of pop culture for ages, and especially with the films over the last twenty years or so (MCU and the prior films). Stan definitely helped popularize the brand. He was as popular for being the creator of so many iconic characters as the characters themselves.

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
His original blog post makes it clear that he thinks "the comic book thing" is a symptom of a larger problem in America that has led to the Trump presidency. Sort of an Idiocracy thing. Adults are expending too much time and energy on entertainment intended for children, which is keeping them from thinking about the important issues in our society like climate change and weed legalization.
Yes I know that and I think that his original blog post is pretty damn stupid too. I agree that some people can take their fandom too far, but to chalk that up to leading to the Trump presidency or other larger political issues I’d say is a stretch.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-27-19 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-27-19, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

He didn't attack them for mourning Stan Lee. He attacked them for the way they were mourning him. Stan's death got it's 3 minutes at the end of the nightly news as was appropriate. It's not like Stan and comics had a huge impact in forming out culture like Dylan, Beatles or Elvis.
You are severely mistaken. Not only did Stan had a great impact in forming our culture, but comics have done so too. Funny that you mention Elvis. Why? Because his attire was inspired by Captain Marvel Jr. The entire movie economy today has been dependent on comic book based movies. Stan's creations have produced billions of dollars to the economy. One of the biggest shows this past decade is the Walking Dead, which came from comic books and inspired the modern zombie craze. I can go and on about the cultural impact of comic books and Stan Lee in our culture, but this would take me months to complete.
Old 01-27-19, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Yes I know that and I think that his original blog post is pretty damn stupid too. I agree that some people can take their fandom too far, but to chalk that up to leading to the Trump presidency or other larger political issues I’d say is a stretch.
Nevertheless, my reply is a direct answer to the question you asked. Stupid or not, you asked why he did it when his general interest is politics.
Old 01-27-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nevertheless, my reply is a direct answer to the question you asked. Stupid or not, you asked why he did it when his general interest is politics.
Yeah, but in my view he took something that's really not political and skewed it that way to fit his narrative. I don't agree with what he's saying in general.
Old 01-27-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

When did the anti-vax episode air??
Old 01-27-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

It's not like Stan and comics had a huge impact in forming out culture like Dylan, Beatles or Elvis.
Or Kanye.

The mainstream isn’t the only source for inspiration and influence.

In that sense, you wouldn’t understand the impact that certain artists have had on my life.
Old 01-27-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
One of the biggest shows this past decade is the Walking Dead, which came from comic books and inspired the modern zombie craze..
Not quite. That show was born out of the zombie craze, it didn't create it. It has however definitely prolonged it.

Anyways, something can be of cultural importance without it being something to hold on to as adults. It is a bit fucking odd when grown men and women collect Funko's

Last edited by Gunde; 01-27-19 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-27-19, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
You are severely mistaken. Not only did Stan had a great impact in forming our culture, but comics have done so too. Funny that you mention Elvis. Why? Because his attire was inspired by Captain Marvel Jr. The entire movie economy today has been dependent on comic book based movies. Stan's creations have produced billions of dollars to the economy. One of the biggest shows this past decade is the Walking Dead, which came from comic books and inspired the modern zombie craze. I can go and on about the cultural impact of comic books and Stan Lee in our culture, but this would take me months to complete.
You could say the same about disaster movies in 1970s. Why not celebrate Irwin Allen the same.
"I became a firefighter after seeing Towering Inferno as a kid."
Old 01-27-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True or not, the context for the segment was that people/media won't let him drop it. The whole thing may have been off your radar months later, but according to Maher it was still being brought up to him everyday.
Exactly.
It might not have been the worst thing for him to address it by saying, "It was months ago. If you haven't let it go, you need to, I'm moving on." But I think he really wanted to explain that he was not attacking Stan Lee.
He doesn't ordinarily back down from a fight.

Originally Posted by dhmac
. The flu shot is one of the least effective vaccines - usually less than 50% - and I think is the only one that requires getting a new shot annually. Compare that to pretty much all other vaccines that require just 1 or 2 shots and maybe a booster decades later and are typically from 85% to 100% effective and the flu shot is the runt of the litter, at least until the "Universal Flu Shot" is finally available. (Personally speaking, though, I get a flu shot each year because I think some protection is better than none, but I know a lot of people who aren't anti-vaxxers but never bother getting the flu shot.)
I'm not sure where you get those numbers regarding flu shots, but I can tell you I have been getting yearly flu shots for 30 years and during that time I haven't once had the flu.
Old 01-27-19, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Maybe it’s the AZ weather. But I haven’t had a flu shot (maybe once when I was a teen) and never had the flu in 15 or 20 years.
Old 01-27-19, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could say the same about disaster movies in 1970s. Why not celebrate Irwin Allen the same.
"I became a firefighter after seeing Towering Inferno as a kid."
Difference obviously being that while Irwin Allen was known for disaster films he never really reached mainstream celebrity status or was a recognizable figure. Stan Lee was a well known figure in comics and pop culture for decades. Also the Marvel characters are much more tied into the lexicon of our society. People are going to continue to recognize the Marvel characters years from now, but most aren’t likely to remember some old disaster films from the seventies (not saying those are bad films but it’s true).

Last edited by Mike86; 01-27-19 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-27-19, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
When did the anti-vax episode air??
It’s kind of slippery; Maher isn’t a hardcore antivaxxer, but he seems to be really sympathetic to the cause. And when it comes to things like medicine and health, Maher seems to buy into a lot of woo.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Bill_Maher#On_medicine

https://gizmodo.com/neil-degrasse-ty...nce-1780648740

https://vaxopedia.org/2016/10/15/bil...r-on-vaccines/

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/fiv...-it-yet-again/

Old 01-28-19, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Difference obviously being that while Irwin Allen was known for disaster films he never really reached mainstream celebrity status or was a recognizable figure. Stan Lee was a well known figure in comics and pop culture for decades. Also the Marvel characters are much more tied into the lexicon of our society. People are going to continue to recognize the Marvel characters years from now, but most aren’t likely to remember some old disaster films from the seventies (not saying those are bad films but it’s true).
I'd wager that 90% of the population wouldn't know Stan Lee from his name. Show them his picture and, "Oh yeah. That old guy in the superhero movies." Stan was a well known figure in comics, which is a sub culture. Comics are like a secret club and those who read them are in on the secret.
As huge as Game of Thrones is, less than 1% of the population knew the books existed and had ever read one. Those who had been reading them before the tv series were in on something that everybody else was left out on. Comics are like that.
Old 01-28-19, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd wager that 90% of the population wouldn't know Stan Lee from his name. Show them his picture and, "Oh yeah. That old guy in the superhero movies." Stan was a well known figure in comics, which is a sub culture. Comics are like a secret club and those who read them are in on the secret.
As huge as Game of Thrones is, less than 1% of the population knew the books existed and had ever read one. Those who had been reading them before the tv series were in on something that everybody else was left out on. Comics are like that.
Stan had been appearing in the Marvel films for close to the last two decades. People awaited his cameos. He definitely had notoriety and I'm fairly certain a lot of people, including casual viewers started to notice him and caught on to who he was eventually. I also wouldn't necessarily call comics a secret club anymore. The people that read them maybe is still a smaller subset, but a lot more people in general are aware of them or at the least their characters.

I would say the Game of Thrones comparison is different in that it only was a series of four books when the series started. Not everyone is as apt to reading large fantasy novels, and especially ones where the author takes years and years to write and still isn't even finished with them. A lot different when compared to something like Marvel that's been around a lot longer and was more in the public eye even before gaining popularity with the films with the comics, cartoons, toys/merchandise, etc.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-28-19 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-28-19, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stan had been appearing in the Marvel films for close to the last two decades. People awaited his cameos. He definitely had notoriety and I'm fairly certain a lot of people, including casual viewers started to notice him and caught on to who he was eventually. I also wouldn't necessarily call comics a secret club anymore. The people that read them maybe is still a smaller subset, but a lot more people in general are aware of them or at the least their characters.
Yes the comics and characters are more widely known, but that doesn't mean they are as important to the general public as they are to the sub culture.
If a single guy had invented Trix, Alpha-Bits, Cocoa Puffs, Captain Crunch, Fruit Loops and Lucky Charms and died today, people would think about it minute and then never think about it again. That's what comics mean to the general population. It is in error to apply Stan's importance to the sub culture to the entire population.
Maher is wrong in not recognizing Stan's importance to the subculture, and right in that most people don't give a shit.
Old 01-28-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes the comics and characters are more widely known, but that doesn't mean they are as important to the general public as they are to the sub culture.
If a single guy had invented Trix, Alpha-Bits, Cocoa Puffs, Captain Crunch, Fruit Loops and Lucky Charms and died today, people would think about it minute and then never think about it again. That's what comics mean to the general population. It is in error to apply Stan's importance to the sub culture to the entire population.
Maher is wrong in not recognizing Stan's importance to the subculture, and right in that most people don't give a shit.
I guess we’re going to have to agree to disagree on this. I think you’re way off base and are discrediting Stan a lot more than he deserves. I think there’s a lot more people who recognize who he was and attribute him as an important pop culture figure than you do. I also think your cereal character analogy is pretty silly but whatever.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-28-19 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-28-19, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Maher is gonna Maher. I've always viewed him as a prick who says shit to get attention. I'm 40, married, and I read comics. He is of that generation that looks upon comics as trash. So, fuck him
Old 01-28-19, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also think your cereal character analogy is pretty silly but whatever.
That's the point. To most people one cultural icon is no more important than another. They aren't invested in it. Marvel movies are no more important to them than Mission Impossible, Jurassic Park or Alien. Everything's equal reduced to either good movie/bad movie.
William Shatner dying is equal to Barbara Eden dying, or Gilligan because they are not Star Trek fans.

Old 01-28-19, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the point. To most people one cultural icon is no more important than another. They aren't invested in it. Marvel movies are no more important to them than Mission Impossible, Jurassic Park or Alien. Everything's equal reduced to either good movie/bad movie.
William Shatner dying is equal to Barbara Eden dying, or Gilligan because they are not Star Trek fans.
The key difference is that Stan Lee is largely associated with Marvel and that's a huge multimedia/merchandising brand. To one group of people it might just be films, but to other groups its much more than just that when taking into account comics and everything else. I'd wager a good chunk of casual viewers knew who he was off his film cameos alone and probably could name him, and obviously the more diehard fans know who he was. The Marvel films are huge too. It isn't like they're some small flash in the pan. They're ingrained into pop culture forever at this point and make gobs of money for the film industry as well as merchandise tie-ins and stuff. Now Stan wasn't at the forefront of the films, but his characters made them possible and I think a good number of people realize that.

I don't think your other examples really match Stan or Marvel other than maybe the Mission: Impossible franchise due to Tom Cruise being a big star, but even then that's only one thing (films) versus Marvel's various output. The Jurassic Park/World films while popular money makers aren't really associated with one star necessarily (Pratt is just the current guy), and as much as I love Star Trek its much more niche than Marvel and has never had a big mainstream appeal.

The closest icon that I can think of is maybe George Lucas as Star Wars is a huge brand with the films and has superceded just those with shows, video games, toys, and other merchandise. Even he I wouldn't say was ever as spotlighted as Stan Lee though, and oftentimes when he was it was in a more negative light.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-28-19 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-28-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Neil Gaiman said it best: "More people cared about Stan Lee’s death than care about Bill Maher alive."
Old 01-28-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

I'm with Bill on this! Adults should not be into comic book based movies. They should only be into serious stuff, like this:

Old 01-28-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Or acting like a dumb twenty something who thinks it’s cool to talk about pot and smoke it any chance he gets.
Old 01-28-19, 02:02 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Or acting like a dumb twenty something who thinks it’s cool to talk about pot and smoke it any chance he gets.
Don't you know he's doing it for medicinal reasons?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.