Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Old 10-06-12, 09:07 PM
  #1576  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 4,352
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'm really looking forward to next week's show, which includes Ben Affleck and Ann Coulter. I just hope both of them are on the panel.
I saw those two were on the roster and hoped for the same thing.
Old 10-06-12, 10:24 PM
  #1577  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Obviously Bill thinks he's more reasonable or he wouldn't have had him there.
I don't think that's oibvious at all. Bill has people on for all kinds of reasons -- including people he thinks are completely unreasonable. He's in the entertainment business and he's not above doing things for ratings. He doesn't bring on Ann Coulter to be fair and balanced. He brings her on because he likes her (look, intelligence, etc.) and he likes that she's provocative (people who tune in to yell at her still tune in).

Though I wouldn't have used the lawyer quote. Lawyers do lie about their clients whenever they're on the defense.
Sure. But that's the official position and I wanted it read.

I don't know, I'm far from a fan of anyone who when they get caught doing something inappropriate such as that just going "He's gay, he was abused, he's going into rehab, pity him" type stuff.
If they've already done the deed, what'd work for you?

I'm no fan of his actions, but I also have developed a little bit of a thick skin when dealing with certain personal failures. The guy's just talking, not managing my money (or family). If he has something intelligent to say, I'd like to hear it. To deny him the right to tell me something I may not already know seems to be hurting myself just to make sure I'm sufficiently punishing him (seemingly forever).

But the fact that he was there certainly means more people have a better sense of his life then and now then I do.
*shrug* I think it's valid to say, "Based on who he is (was?), I have no interest in what he has to say." I was just giving an alternate viewpoint because you took it further in essentially suggesting Bill shouldn't have had him on the show.
Old 10-07-12, 03:23 AM
  #1578  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,987
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by MikahC
I don't think that's oibvious at all. Bill has people on for all kinds of reasons -- including people he thinks are completely unreasonable. He's in the entertainment business and he's not above doing things for ratings. He doesn't bring on Ann Coulter to be fair and balanced. He brings her on because he likes her (look, intelligence, etc.) and he likes that she's provocative (people who tune in to yell at her still tune in).



Sure. But that's the official position and I wanted it read.



If they've already done the deed, what'd work for you?

I'm no fan of his actions, but I also have developed a little bit of a thick skin when dealing with certain personal failures. The guy's just talking, not managing my money (or family). If he has something intelligent to say, I'd like to hear it. To deny him the right to tell me something I may not already know seems to be hurting myself just to make sure I'm sufficiently punishing him (seemingly forever).



*shrug* I think it's valid to say, "Based on who he is (was?), I have no interest in what he has to say." I was just giving an alternate viewpoint because you took it further in essentially suggesting Bill shouldn't have had him on the show.
Oh I have no problem with your view at all. In fact my last line was meant more to say that he obviously does bring some value to the discussion and what's past is past and move on.

Course I'm not saying I'd agree with it but I get it. Sides, if John Edwards was scheduled as I guest I'd be repeating the same thing I'm saying about Foley about him.

But when it comes to the idea of punishment as you said it, I mean I'll admit when there are people who commit acts of this nature I wouldn't ever have them on TV again and let them just fade into obscurity. But controversy sells and again, he had something to say and said it well so they had him on.
Old 10-07-12, 05:54 AM
  #1579  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,580
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Interesting to hear the affirmative action debate in which Kerry Washington...after spouting lines & lines of nonsense about "different types of intelligence"...couldn't rebut Will Kane's question about whether all means of measuring academic potential should be thrown out? Did Washington actually attend college, and if so, did she notice that certain classes attract people of like intelligence and inclinations? And that groups hanging out in college tend to resemble high school cliques rather collections of 'diverse' individuals?

And that the best Maher could come up with was to mention that Bush was a Harvard legacy...totally ignoring the point that Harvard (and other universities) do exactly what our politicians do...adopt policies to raise loads of cash.

As Kane pointed out, bringing up another wrong policy (although some might argue that accepting legacies is a necessary evil to increase funding from alumni, which is the entire point) is no rebuttal to the wrongness of discriminating on the basis of skin color. It's just an example of what Maher often criticizes from others...bringing up a distraction in order to avoid addressing the topic.

Washington seemed better informed than most moronic actors, but she kept getting in deeper poop the longer she talked. Her characteristics for increasing "diversity" included such considerations as "geography". Wow...wonder how many Hollywood actors are from the Deep South (especially without having to affect major changes in their accents)? And she certainly didn't seem to mind the lack of diversity on university sports teams...guess those athletes get enough exposure to other races during their class time, which we all know is where they spend the bulk of their college experience.

And there wasn't any discussion about the practice of discriminating against some minorities such as Asian-Americans by requiring higher scores in order to obtain admission, which is an allegation made by some of Asian descent. Maybe she doesn't think that they are 'of color'.

I'm sure that all of the college graduates, including some posters here, insist upon living in neighborhoods that are integrated with folks of different races, economic incomes, etc. That's why most college graduates live in neighborhoods that have half-million dollar homes existing beside mobile homes. It's the college experience that has inspired them to embrace the virtues of "diversity" and the desire to expose their kids to that concept on a daily basis.

And I'm sure it's why Bill Maher...who thinks so highly of the value of diversity...actively seeks out religious employees.

Last edited by creekdipper; 10-07-12 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-07-12, 06:12 AM
  #1580  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,580
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

The funniest part of the night was when Maher said absent-mindedly (without a touch of irony), "I swear to God...."

Although the opening "Real Time Moment" in which Maher was yelling at Ann Coulter (along with Michael Racist Dyson) and refusing to let her finish her statement.

Not that Maher EVER has interrupted or yelled at guests, remember.

Maher was correct in stating that he couldn't get Luntz on the mat...Luntz went toe-to-toe with Maher on one-liners and ignored Maher's trying to sidetrack Luntz's points by interrupting Luntz's more serious points with attempts to ridicule assertions such as the idea that some people in focus groups burst into tears when interviewed (which actually made 1 per center Maher seem very small & callous for mocking the pain & frustrations of the "little people"). Maher couldn't lay a glove on Luntz...and Luntz cleverly exposed the liberal bias of the audience with his polling question asking the audience whom they would vote for (sounded like 98% BHO vs. 2% WMR...not exactly representative of an almost evenly divided American public).

If WMR had given a debate performance similar to BHO, the entire night & monologue would have devoted to ridiculing WMR. Maher obviously had to spend some time on the issue & couldn't deny the truth of what happened (even while repeatedly ridiculing WMR)...but he just HAD to bring up Dyson's racist assertion that BHO was holding back due to the Fear of a Black Planet defense....the idea that BHO couldn't afford to come across as the "angry black man" (calling gun owners and religious people bigots is okay as long as you don't sound angry when saying it).

When all else fails...flip the race card (even thought the panel wouldn't touch it).

Gotta love the moronic audience...who once again showed their partisan blinders when they support or disapprove of a point until Maher takes an opposing view (after which they immediately switch allegiances to match Maher's view). They need to add a few more goats to balance out the sheep.
Old 10-07-12, 02:00 PM
  #1581  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,039
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by creekdipper
The funniest part of the night was when Maher said absent-mindedly (without a touch of irony), "I swear to God...."

Although the opening "Real Time Moment" in which Maher was yelling at Ann Coulter (along with Michael Racist Dyson) and refusing to let her finish her statement.

Not that Maher EVER has interrupted or yelled at guests, remember.

Maher was correct in stating that he couldn't get Luntz on the mat...Luntz went toe-to-toe with Maher on one-liners and ignored Maher's trying to sidetrack Luntz's points by interrupting Luntz's more serious points with attempts to ridicule assertions such as the idea that some people in focus groups burst into tears when interviewed (which actually made 1 per center Maher seem very small & callous for mocking the pain & frustrations of the "little people"). Maher couldn't lay a glove on Luntz...and Luntz cleverly exposed the liberal bias of the audience with his polling question asking the audience whom they would vote for (sounded like 98% BHO vs. 2% WMR...not exactly representative of an almost evenly divided American public).

If WMR had given a debate performance similar to BHO, the entire night & monologue would have devoted to ridiculing WMR. Maher obviously had to spend some time on the issue & couldn't deny the truth of what happened (even while repeatedly ridiculing WMR)...but he just HAD to bring up Dyson's racist assertion that BHO was holding back due to the Fear of a Black Planet defense....the idea that BHO couldn't afford to come across as the "angry black man" (calling gun owners and religious people bigots is okay as long as you don't sound angry when saying it).

When all else fails...flip the race card (even thought the panel wouldn't touch it).

Gotta love the moronic audience...who once again showed their partisan blinders when they support or disapprove of a point until Maher takes an opposing view (after which they immediately switch allegiances to match Maher's view). They need to add a few more goats to balance out the sheep.
Gotta love this. Michael Dyson is a racist and Ann Coulter isn't. Let me guess because he's pro-black and that just shouldn't be happening in our society.

Anyway, dude why do you continue to watch the show. Every week you type out these novels complaining about stuff on the show. Just stop watching
Old 10-07-12, 03:41 PM
  #1582  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,114
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Although the opening "Real Time Moment" in which Maher was yelling at Ann Coulter (along with Michael Racist Dyson) and refusing to let her finish her statement.
Do you have any other examples of Michael Dyson being racist? Because I'm not seeing it from your description.

but he just HAD to bring up Dyson's racist assertion that BHO was holding back due to the Fear of a Black Planet defense....the idea that BHO couldn't afford to come across as the "angry black man"
From the way you describe it, it doesn't sound like a racist assertion. But that does seem ridiculous to say he was holding back because he didn't want to perpetuate the "angry black man" stereotype. I remember watching one of the debates between Obama and McCain and Obama came across much better than McCain. He didn't come off as being angry or overly aggressive. He just did a better job debating.
Old 10-07-12, 05:49 PM
  #1583  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,580
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

I've heard Michael Eric Dyson speak (on television) on numerous occasions/venues over the years, and he always seems to be unable to view any topic without seeing inherent racism. He also claims to be an ordained Baptist minister (for over 30 years), yet he seems to be unfamiliar with the Bible or chooses to put his own interpretation on scriptures that don't jibe with his views (for instance, in his views regarding homosexuality). Dyson claims that the Bible has been used to "condemn blacks and women"...without offering any specific verses to buttress his ridiculous spoutings.

IMHO, Dyson uses speed-talk to cover a lot of pseudo-intellectual fluff that has little factual basis. And, yes, he did use the 'can't-look-like-angry-black-man' defense for BHO's lackluster debate effort...which is entirely consistent with Dyson's seeing everything through the lens of race.

As for Dyson being "pro-black", his absurd assertions don't do his race any favors. It just makes people who are sympathetic to the cause of racial equality and fairness tired of the Boy Who Cried Wolf routine (and, yes, Dyson would find that analogy to be racist...Don't call me 'Boy' !).
Old 10-07-12, 05:55 PM
  #1584  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,580
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by bootsy

Anyway, dude why do you continue to watch the show. Every week you type out these novels complaining about stuff on the show. Just stop watching

Just fact-checking. I thought you liberals liked fact-checkers.

And why would you criticize someone who is actually discussing what occurred during the show? The last several pages have been mostly devoted to discussing the merits/deficiencies of various religions or the pedophile/non-pedophile status of Mark Foley. Not much commentary on what was actually said during the broadcast. If this thread isn't about making comments regarding the show, then perhaps it should be retitled to "Comments about topics brought up on Real Time").

There are a number of posters who complain about O'Reilly, Hannity, Van Sustern, etc. yet appear to watch their shows (how else would they be able to criticize the Fox News people?). I imagine liberals watch Fox in order to rant & have their views confirmed in the same way that conservatives occasionally tune in to MSNBC to do the same.

Don't you ever watch shows whose hosts have views different from your own? I thought that was a main criticism of many citizens...that they only get their news from one source or from those with whom they always agree. I don't always agree with Limbaugh or the Fox celebs, but I agree with them more than the vast host of liberal views (including the 'major network' anchors). I might occasionally agree with a liberal guest more than conservative, and I do like to watch the occasions in which real conservatives (unlike BoyToy Foley) get to engage liberals...such as Frank Luntz eating Maher's lunch.

And, by the way, I thought that Maher did improve in one regard...he didn't seem to feel the need to prove how "hep" he is by constantly sprinkling profanity into the conversation, although it was still there from time to time. Is it a liberal thing or a comedian thing that they somehow feel that potty talk is funnier than intelligent conversation? I've never understood that (since graduating from junior high, after which the potty mouths just seemed immature).

Last edited by creekdipper; 10-07-12 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-07-12, 06:16 PM
  #1585  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
dolphinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,056
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Oh my G-d, he's still going strong.
Old 10-07-12, 06:23 PM
  #1586  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Kerry Washington was awesome. That's pretty much my only take away.
Old 10-07-12, 06:57 PM
  #1587  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,580
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Oh my G-d, he's still going strong.
Get over it, already...Ozzy's done for good with the game. He was still an awesome player but made a bonehead move giving up the idol.
Old 10-07-12, 10:35 PM
  #1588  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,039
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Kerry Washington was awesome. That's pretty much my only take away.
Yeah she was. I thought she was just another pretty face but the mind kicked in and that got things jumpstarted if you know what I mean.
Old 10-07-12, 10:52 PM
  #1589  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
actionjackson29's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
Posts: 1,260
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Just fact-checking. I thought you liberals liked fact-checkers.

And why would you criticize someone who is actually discussing what occurred during the show? The last several pages have been mostly devoted to discussing the merits/deficiencies of various religions or the pedophile/non-pedophile status of Mark Foley. Not much commentary on what was actually said during the broadcast. If this thread isn't about making comments regarding the show, then perhaps it should be retitled to "Comments about topics brought up on Real Time").

There are a number of posters who complain about O'Reilly, Hannity, Van Sustern, etc. yet appear to watch their shows (how else would they be able to criticize the Fox News people?). I imagine liberals watch Fox in order to rant & have their views confirmed in the same way that conservatives occasionally tune in to MSNBC to do the same.

Don't you ever watch shows whose hosts have views different from your own? I thought that was a main criticism of many citizens...that they only get their news from one source or from those with whom they always agree. I don't always agree with Limbaugh or the Fox celebs, but I agree with them more than the vast host of liberal views (including the 'major network' anchors). I might occasionally agree with a liberal guest more than conservative, and I do like to watch the occasions in which real conservatives (unlike BoyToy Foley) get to engage liberals...such as Frank Luntz eating Maher's lunch.

And, by the way, I thought that Maher did improve in one regard...he didn't seem to feel the need to prove how "hep" he is by constantly sprinkling profanity into the conversation, although it was still there from time to time. Is it a liberal thing or a comedian thing that they somehow feel that potty talk is funnier than intelligent conversation? I've never understood that (since graduating from junior high, after which the potty mouths just seemed immature).
You mean opinion checking right?
Old 10-07-12, 11:21 PM
  #1590  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Dyson claims that the Bible has been used to "condemn blacks and women"...without offering any specific verses to buttress his ridiculous spoutings.
Saying the bible condemns blacks and women is a very different statement from saying people have used the bible to condemn blacks and women. I did a quick google search and came up with this comment (not from MED).

racist White Americans used the Bible to justify racism by saying Black people were descendants of Ham, and therefore part of the cursed tribe doomed to slavery. Which is just proof that the Bible can be used to justify anything people want.
Are you saying this hasn't been done? And if he has been done, why would MED's statement be incorrect? I can see why you'd disagree with him and even not like him, but I happen to have some exposure to him and he's no pseudo anything. He's not going to lie about being ordained -- not that being ordained is a particularly difficult thing. He's also been a columnist, a radio talk show host, and a professor at both DePaul and Georgetown. He graduated with a PhD from Princeton. He's also received 3 NAACP image awards. If you know all that and conclude he's a "nothing" guy, that reflects on you a lot more than it does him.
Old 10-09-12, 09:00 PM
  #1591  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Friday:

The roundtable guests will be actor-director Ben Affleck, whose new movie is “Argo”; Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif.; and Gov. Brian Schweitzer, D-Mont.

The interview guests will be Sheila Bair, former chair of the U.S. Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and author Ann Coulter
Old 10-09-12, 09:13 PM
  #1592  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,804
Received 1,174 Likes on 915 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

I saw that Ann Coulter was going to be a guest on this week's show, should be a lively one.
Old 10-09-12, 09:50 PM
  #1593  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,422
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
She trying to hawk her new book so she might just be the interviewee.
All that Ann Coulter ever (really) does is hawk her books.
Old 10-09-12, 10:25 PM
  #1594  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 382
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Affleck vs. Coulter will be entertaining. He'll destroy her.
Old 10-10-12, 12:14 AM
  #1595  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Ben Affleck. Yay.
Old 10-10-12, 05:33 AM
  #1596  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,159
Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Friday:
Hell yeah, should be a great show. I like all the panel guests and Coulter will be great if she's the interview guest that joins the panel halfway through the show.


Can't wait to see Argo. Affleck is apparently 3-for-3 as a director.
Old 10-10-12, 07:25 AM
  #1597  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,436
Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by georgec
Affleck vs. Coulter will be entertaining. He'll destroy her.
Oh yeah, two giants of the political debate. Affleck is just another liberal idiot actor, and Coulter is just another right wing wacko bomb thrower.
Old 10-10-12, 08:49 AM
  #1598  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

As someone who has watched the show for years, Affleck has always been articulate and passionate in his arguments and far from being "another liberal idiot actor". So that generalization is just completely wrong.
Old 10-10-12, 09:03 AM
  #1599  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Plus he was the bomb in Phantoms, yo.
Old 10-10-12, 12:00 PM
  #1600  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

You know, as much as I like to remain open to slang, I completely missed where "yo" went from being equivalent to "Hey," as in, "Hey, come here," becoming "Yo! Come here," to ... well, I'm not quite sure yet what it means at the end of a sentence. I certainly don't want to appear uncool to my (grown) kids, so I'm going to have to get on the ball, but as of this moment, all I think when I hear someone end a sentence with "yo," is, "He should lose the gift of speech for a full day."

People, adjust your expectations. If you expect anyone to shut up Ann Coulter, you'll be disappointed. She will not acknowledge any point counter to her own. She's "better" at that than even Bill, who will sometimes at least tacitly acknowledge he's been outpointed.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.