Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-04, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bill Maher is so amazingly clever. He has a way of totally stripping an issue down to its bare bowns and describing it in a hilariously funny way. I really admire him.

I don't think he said this on his show, but he was on Larry King recently. They were talking about Howard Dean and Maher had the perfect summation of Dean and how voters viewed him. He said something like: "Howard Dean is like that fancy massage chair at Sharper Image. It brings people into the store, and they all want to sit in it. But at the end of the day, no one ever buys one."

That is so true.
Old 02-10-04, 11:30 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Love this show - I kept wanting to start a thread on it but figured it would just get moved to 'Other' because of the politics.

Kobe Teeth is a hoot.
Old 07-30-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Real Time with Bill Maher is back tonight!

"This week, Bill Maher welcomes filmmaker Michael Moore, Ralph Nader, Gov. Bill Owens, Rep. David Dreir, and former Canadian Prime Minister Kim Campbell. Plus, Andre 3000 from Outkast."
Old 07-30-04, 07:37 PM

Old 07-30-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I forgot to say that it starts at 11 pm ET.
Old 07-30-04, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news! I almost forgot. Looks to be a fun cast of guests as well.
Old 07-30-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great show... Nader just got taken down quite nicely by everyone on the panel except the Republican (Imagine that...) The Simpson picture was cruel to Nader, but still...

Great to have this back, and an unusually great cast of players tonight.
Old 07-30-04, 11:01 PM

The guy from Outkast looked totally clueless as to how to answer any of the questions he was asked.
Old 07-30-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is it just me or did Maher look a little more balding and a little chubbier in the cheek area?

Of course, we all age, it just seemed a little more than normal.

Good show though. I've missed it.
Old 07-30-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

to the Canadian Prime Minister and her comments to Ralph Nader.
Old 07-31-04, 12:40 AM

The senator seemed a little pissed at the end. When they all shake hands and whatnot after "new rules" he was nowhere to be seen.
Old 07-31-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What was said?
Old 07-31-04, 01:53 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by CRM114
to the Canadian Prime Minister and her comments to Ralph Nader.
The Canadian Prime Minister is a guy :P
Old 07-31-04, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

She's the former Prime Minister or whatever. I was surprised that Andre Benjamin was clueless as well.

I've followed his career for 10 years and he's the last musician I would expect to be that out of it.

This was a war between Moore and David Dreir. The blood almost boiled over the top.

The show ran almost a full hour rather than the usual 45 mins or so.

It was funny and not unexpected when Dreir started to criticize F/911 and then admitted he'd never even seen it.

I noticed that too about Dreir not being there when the show ended after New Rules.

I don't really know what to make of Michael Moore and Bill Maher on their hands and knees (literally) begging Ralph Nader to drop out of the race.....
Old 07-31-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey

It was funny and not unexpected when Dreir started to criticize F/911 and then admitted he'd never even seen it.

You know, I thought everything was civil up until that point.

Then Dreir looked like an complete ass when he started criticizing F/911. He lost all credibility.

I particularly like his defending of Bush doing the "7 minutes" and his speechless reaction when Mahr asked him if Clinton had done the same would he have defended him so vigorously.

It was a good show.
Old 07-31-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Alien Redrum

Then Dreir looked like an complete ass when he started criticizing F/911. He lost all credibility.

I particularly like his defending of Bush doing the "7 minutes" and his speechless reaction when Mahr asked him if Clinton had done the same would he have defended him so vigorously.

It was a good show.
Yeah I hear ya, to say I'm for Bush even though that was a major idiotic thing to do is one thing. I'm all for sticking with what you believe in, but this guy actually said repeatedly that sitting there for 5 to 7 minutes was basically the right thing to do.

Amazing.
Old 07-31-04, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Alien Redrum

Moore was civil up to that point? I didn't have a problem with what he was saying; the way he said it was pretty harsh though. It didn't help that Dreir was the only conservative on the panel and that the whole audience was ravenously for Moore, heh. It was pretty sad that Maher had to step in and help him.
Old 07-31-04, 03:37 PM

i usually enjoy maher's show when his panel is balanced to give points of view from both sides and is a civil, intelligent discussion.

but last nights show was just a bush hating liberal orgy. when the panel consists of 2 liberals and one conservative, maher generally tries to argue the opposing viewpoint, even if they are not his own, but last night we didn't even get that. I felt like Drier was being ganged up on and the audience wasn't giving him any respect, something that Maher had to remind them to do at one point.

that being said, i felt like Drier was seriously underprepared and probably didn't know what he was getting himself into. his arguments were weak and he looked like a complete ass when he criticized F9/11 then admitted to not even seeing it. i mean there is plenty of stuff in that movie that he could have disputed Moore on, but he couldn't because he didn't even see the damn thing. i just wish they had someone who was better equipt to argue the conservative viewpoint. it would have been a much more entertaining and informative show if that was the case.
Old 07-31-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,128 Posts
Maher has said that he has a difficult time getting "conservatives" on his show because he doesn't give them a free pass and holds their feet to the fire.

These guys are used to getting handjobs by people like Hannity and Limbaugh, so they aren't prepared to handle someone who won't blindly take the bullshit they spew.
Old 07-31-04, 08:08 PM

What's weird and probably the source of Maher's finding it hard to get people to come on is that Bill Maher, while much more liberal than not, is extremely fair and level headed. If a conservative is right and has a point, he will concede and sometimes, although unfortunately not always, he will call liberals and everyone if they say something untrue or make a bad analogy.

But, his audience is completely NOT like this. They are the Michael Moore liberal crowd where anything bad about Bush and conservative is applauded and anything against is booed/laughed. I am surprised that there are not more libertarians like Maher in the crowd. I like Maher because he is not partisan at all. Wish he attracted more people like that I hate seeing anyone get away with crappy logic, liberal or conservative or neither.
Old 07-31-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,128 Posts
Originally posted by Verbal Gorilla
What's weird and probably the source of Maher's finding it hard to get people to come on is that Bill Maher, while much more liberal than not, is extremely fair and level headed. If a conservative is right and has a point, he will concede and sometimes, although unfortunately not always, he will call liberals and everyone if they say something untrue or make a bad analogy.

But, his audience is completely NOT like this. They are the Michael Moore liberal crowd where anything bad about Bush and conservative is applauded and anything against is booed/laughed. I am surprised that there are not more libertarians like Maher in the crowd. I like Maher because he is not partisan at all. Wish he attracted more people like that I hate seeing anyone get away with crappy logic, liberal or conservative or neither.
Yeah, that's the thing I like about Maher. He does tend to swing somewhere between liberal and libertarian, but he's generally not overly partisan.

As for his audience, it shouldn't be surprising that it's generally liberal. I think Maher himself is too liberal for most ideological libertarians -- more of a Frank Zappa libertarian -- and I think most conservatives only prefer to have their own worldview validated and would rather avoid serious debate, so they stick with people like Hannity and the talk radio crowd.
Old 08-01-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Maher has said that he has a difficult time getting "conservatives" on his show because he doesn't give them a free pass and holds their feet to the fire.

These guys are used to getting handjobs by people like Hannity and Limbaugh, so they aren't prepared to handle someone who won't blindly take the bullshit they spew.
YEAH...because no conservative has ever been on GMA, Today, Nightline, CNN, MSNBC, World News Tonight, CBS Evening News, NBC News, Russert, Stephanopolous, Hardball, Crossfire,......!

What annoys me about the RTWB Maher listings is you never know whose on the panels and who's in the interview or the satelite thingy.
Old 08-01-04, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
What annoys me about the RTWB Maher listings is you never know whose on the panels and who's in the interview or the satelite thingy.
Yeah, that's bothered me since the first season. For example, with Moore having been in Boston for the DNC all week, I was absolutely sure he'd be the satellite guest for the week. Would be nice if they could clarify the guide listings instead of leaving them as jumbled as they have been.
Old 08-01-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've seen Moore on Bill's show a few times and he is not someone who monopolizes the conversation. He's fairly reticent to speak sometimes. Dreir has been on before and he shouldn't have been surprised by anything. Of the 3 panelists, he spoke the most. Other than Bill bringing up the 7 minutes, Moore really didn't bring up his film. Dreir was clearly there with some prepared questions to try and whack Moore by going after the film and he was destroyed by doing so and having not even seen the film. What a tool. I thought maybe Dreir left because of all the expletives in Bill's new rules and closing comments. Fake outrage. They've had on the conservative guy who really went after Clinton, something Barr, and everytime Bill said pu**y or c*ock or f*uck, Barr was laughing hysterically and making up his own jokes. I couldn't believe this was the guy who couldn't handle the President getting a BJ.

Whether you like Moore or you don't, I don't see why so many people think he should have let that guy's comments about his nephew or something being in Iraq. My only two 1st cousins (dad's sister's children) haven't been a part of my life in 20 years. They could both be there and I wouldn't know it. The question was would you let your own children go or are any of them there, if Moore let's people talk about all their exetended relatives who have served, it doesn't answer the question and deflates the whole point he's trying to make.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 08-01-04 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-01-04, 06:17 AM

One thing I didn't like about the senator is how he came on there with the intent of trying to destroy the Dems and Moore.

I believe the first thing he said was asking why Moore didn't speak at the democratic convention... nevermind that while Moore is liberal, he is no democrat (having voted for Nader) and even this election didn't support Kerry until after the primaries (having supported Clark- the more conservative democrat- in the primaries)

He just wanted to attack Moore, and looked like an A-hole doing it... which wasn't surprising.

I really like this show... much better than watching Sean Hannity picking on Jeaneane Garofalo and equating liberals with terrorists on the Fox News Channel

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.