Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-21, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

You're doing a hell of a lot of personal projection on QT there. Shoshanna did less projection in Inglorious Basterds.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-30-21)
Old 06-28-21, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
You're doing a hell of a lot of personal projection on QT there. Shoshanna did less projection in Inglorious Basterds.
I'm just giving my opinion from what he has said over the years as I linked an article where he essentially taking Scorsese's back on this issue. It's a message board and my opinion (speculating) as everyone does the same here.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...corsese-marvel

Last edited by mcnabb; 06-28-21 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-28-21, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

For those interested, there's a MUCH BETTER new interview with QT on this week's WTF Podcast (Marc Maron's).
The following 3 users liked this post by Shannon Nutt:
Cellar Door (06-28-21), Crocker Jarmen (06-29-21), John Pannozzi (06-30-21)
Old 06-29-21, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

S.Nutt - Thanks for the 'heads-up' about today's WTF podcast. Will definitely be listening to it. Also, just received the kindle version of OUATIH and am ready to dive head first into reading that. Good times entertainment!
The following 2 users liked this post by Jack Straw:
John Pannozzi (06-30-21), Shannon Nutt (07-02-21)
Old 06-29-21, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Speaking of retirement, I have always been a huge fan of Maher, but at this point I think he is hanging around too long. Maybe he wants to get to 2023 so he can say he was on TV for 30 years. The show needs a major dose of re-energizing post-pandemic because right now it is mostly a bore.
Old 06-29-21, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Speaking of retirement, I have always been a huge fan of Maher, but at this point I think he is hanging around too long. Maybe he wants to get to 2023 so he can say he was on TV for 30 years. The show needs a major dose of re-energizing post-pandemic because right now it is mostly a bore.
I disagree as Maher is a healthy voice in this partisan era of Late Night and Cable TV shows. Atleast Maher actually calls out his own party every once in a while unlike the partisans like Colbert, Kimmel, etc. I wish there were Republican hosts who actually did the same, as the last thing I want to listen to on Cable News or Late Night is someone spewing talking points to a bunch of sheep who agree with them. Maher is the only late night host who takes on woke/cancel culture, as those people are the worst on both sides of the aisle.
Old 06-30-21, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I disagree as Maher is a healthy voice in this partisan era of Late Night and Cable TV shows. Atleast Maher actually calls out his own party every once in a while unlike the partisans like Colbert, Kimmel, etc. I wish there were Republican hosts who actually did the same, as the last thing I want to listen to on Cable News or Late Night is someone spewing talking points to a bunch of sheep who agree with them. Maher is the only late night host who takes on woke/cancel culture, as those people are the worst on both sides of the aisle.
Those are the most annoying people, but racists are a tiny bit worse. Actually harming people, actual violence is not less bad than making Sharon Osbourne disappear.
John Pannozzi (06-30-21)
Old 06-30-21, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't disagree with what you are saying about Bill's POV, but I notice you don't have anything to say about the TV show, especially the panel, being interesting. Maher can call out liberals and criticize cancelers all he wants, but if the show isn't entertaining, he's failing. He still calls himself a comedian first, right?
John Pannozzi (06-30-21)
Old 06-30-21, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't disagree with what you are saying about Bill's POV, but I notice you don't have anything to say about the TV show, especially the panel, being interesting. Maher can call out liberals and criticize cancelers all he wants, but if the show isn't entertaining, he's failing. He still calls himself a comedian first, right?
I think his show has suffered (the panel part) from the tribalism in our country. Someone can correct me, but I'm pretty sure he has trouble get guests on the right anymore (except certain one's who are more extreme/crazy like Ann Coulter who make a living being crazy). So his panel has become the weakest part of his show and Cable news in general these days, simply because you have a bunch of people on the same end of the spectrum bitching about how evil the other side is. The days of Crossfire and Capital Gang-type cable news shows are dead (which is sad).

I enjoy Maher's monologues, his first guest is usually an interesting interview because it's 1 on 1, and his new rules have been the best part of his show for 20 years. But I wouldn't argue the panel part is the weakest now, simply because we live in a world now where one side dominates every show according to ideology. Heck, look at DVDTalk political forum, there are only a handful of Trump voters like me, as there is no dialogue in those threads and no different than Cable News these days.
Old 06-30-21, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I don't want to turn this into the Politics Forum, and I will state upfront that I will not follow-up in any way on this comment: The reason there is (almost) no dialogue with hardcore Trump supporters is because it is ultimately impossible to have a rational conversation with an irrational individual.
John Pannozzi (06-30-21)
Old 06-30-21, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I don't want to turn this into the Politics Forum, and I will state upfront that I will not follow-up in any way on this comment: The reason there is (almost) no dialogue with hardcore Trump supporters is because it is ultimately impossible to have a rational conversation with an irrational individual.
To state something as bold as that and then say 'not follow up' is alittle strange to me because it's relevant to the Bill Maher show and everything that goes on in American Politics today. If you honestly feel that you cannot have a rational conversation with me because I supported Trump, I honestly don't know what to say.

Just for the record, I voted for Trump (so you can call me a hardcore supporter) but I feel Biden is doing a good job as President. If I were polled today, I would say yes to approve if they asked me if I approved/disapproved his job so far. I feel that he has governed pretty moderately and I honestly think the Progressives are going to be the one's who ultimately don't show up in 2024 (as long as Trump is not the nominee again). Biden is essentially triangulating like Clinton did to co-op Establishment Democrats, Independents and Moderate Republicans if he runs in 2024.

I want to apologize if I gave you a rationale answer as a Trump voter.
Old 06-30-21, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I think your right. The conservatives who are on the panel aren't Trump voters and the few Trump supporters he had on the show just promoted Trumps lies. You could disagree with a McCain, Bush or Romney supporter and of course some of them just repeated the party line, but with most of them you could have a rational conversation, those are the same conservatives who come to his panel, but Michael Steele or Steve Schmidt don't speak for the Republicans of today and so you have no discussion.

I would call Maher obsolete, but he should find a way to make the middle part of his show more entertaining again.
John Pannozzi (06-30-21)
Old 06-30-21, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just for the record, I voted for Trump (so you can call me a hardcore supporter) but I feel Biden is doing a good job as President.
You don't understand the meaning of the word hardcore.

Last edited by Count Dooku; 06-30-21 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-30-21, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You don't understand the meaning of the word hardcore.
I know what you are talking about and they exist on both sides. Try arguing with a hardcore Bernie supporter? A hardcore Pro-life supporter? A hardcore BLM supporter? A hardcore 2nd Amendment supporter? A hardcore feminist? You can't argue with these people because they are dug in. That's why the cable shows and even Bill Maher invite them on because it makes the other side look ever more crazy to you and me. "Look at this person, now all of the 70 million people who voted for Trump are just as crazy!!!!" That's their business model and it is finally coming back to bite them in the ass because people like you and me are fed up with it. I don't want to watch a show with hardcore partisans because you know what answer you get before the show starts.

Back in the day when I used to watch a show like David Brinkley Sunday Morning on ABC, his panel was Cokie Roberts, George Will and Sam Donaldson. You know why? Because they had to appeal to a mass audience so they couldn't invite any crazies from the left or right on or they would lose those people to Meet the Press. Now these shows go out of their way to find the crazies on the left and right because they are entertaining to the choir they are preaching to.

So I'm not disagreeing with your premise, but I thought you were insuating that 70 million people who voted for Trump were crazy and you couldn't have a dialogue with (maybe you do feel this way). Bill Maher, CNN, FoxNews and the other shows specifically invite the crazies on from the other side (or the Never-Trumpers) because it furthers their narrative at what they are pushing. That's why I fled to podcasts like Saagar/Krystal Ball, The Hill, Joe Rogan, etc because they try to avoid the cable news crap you see today.

Last edited by mcnabb; 06-30-21 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-30-21, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lists are interesting things. Today, I can make a list of my five favorite movies, and next year, that list might be different.

In June 2021, everybody who believes that there was widespread voter fraud in the 2020 presidential, and that Trump was denied his rightful second term in office by nefarious means is on my list of the mentally unbalanced.
They are irrational individuals who are existing in a world that is divorced from reality. None of those people should be on TV talking about politics or current events in any capacity. They probably shouldn't even be doing weather forecasts.
It is not a matter of them being hardcore in their beliefs like a pro-life or a pro-choice activist, it is because their hardcore belief is a belief in something absolutely untrue. The foundation of their belief is an adherence to the irrational. The opinions of delusional people have no value in the marketplace of ideas.

You want to know one very obvious and incredibly meaningful difference between BLM supporters and believers of "The Big Lie?"
It's that black lives actually do matter.
George Floyd was murdered by a police officer.
An innocent woman named Breanna Taylor was shot and killed by police who raided her home based on a false premise.
A white police officer shot Jacob Blake seven times in the back because he thought Blake had a knife.
Those are real things that happened.

Say whatever you want about BLM protesters, but what they are angry about real things that have happened.
The same is not true about hardcore Trump supporters. They are angry about a delusion that is only true in their own minds.

I guess you can say I followed up when I said I wouldn't. Not again, I promise.
John Pannozzi (06-30-21)
Old 06-30-21, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
For those interested, there's a MUCH BETTER new interview with QT on this week's WTF Podcast (Marc Maron's).
He was also just on Joe Rogan's podcast, I'm halfway through it and find it really interesting as well (but I have been a big QT fan for near 30 years now), it runs nearly three hours. Now that's an interview.
Shannon Nutt (07-02-21)
Old 06-30-21, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

He does a two hour one on The Big Picture, which is a movie podcast from The Ringer that I listen to regularly. It's very good and detailed.

QT is hawking the hell out of this weird little paperback. If it gets him out there, I'm all for it, but what a strange publicity tour.
Shannon Nutt (07-02-21)
Old 06-30-21, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

We've kinda devolved into QT talk, and I've mentioned this before, but the best QT "interview" is his audio commentary on Hot Fuzz; he doesn't say shit about Hot Fuzz, he and Edgar Wright spend 2 hours bullshitting about movies.
Old 06-30-21, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff
We've kinda devolved into QT talk, and I've mentioned this before, but the best QT "interview" is his audio commentary on Hot Fuzz; he doesn't say shit about Hot Fuzz, he and Edgar Wright spend 2 hours bullshitting about movies.
Just goes to prove that when Maher can book an entertaining guest that isn't there to grind a political agenda, engagement with the show increases significantly.
Old 07-01-21, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Just goes to prove that when Maher can book an entertaining guest that isn't there to grind a political agenda, engagement with the show increases significantly.
Well, it IS a political show, booking Tarantino was an outlier.

I don't expect to see Dave Grohl on Meet the Press, ya know?
Old 07-01-21, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff
Well, it IS a political show, booking Tarantino was an outlier.

I don't expect to see Dave Grohl on Meet the Press, ya know?
And Real Time isn't on CNN or MSNBC.

Going back to the Politically Incorrect days, the point of the show was to present an entertaining discussion of all kinds of topics. Celebrity guests weren't experts, they were just people with opinions. Dave Grohl would be a great Real Time guest. Right now, there are so many people doing podcasts that don't want to shut up, Maher should be able to book more guests that aren't beltway hacks. I'm not asking him to turn the show into The Tonight Show, but Maher is still a comedian by profession, not a journalist. It's one hour a week. I just want that one hour to be more entertaining to watch.
Old 07-05-21, 08:50 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm just giving my opinion from what he has said over the years as I linked an article where he essentially taking Scorsese's back on this issue. It's a message board and my opinion (speculating) as everyone does the same here.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...corsese-marvel
Mind you, Tarantino has also said:

"I’ve been reading comic books since I was a kid, and I’ve had my own Marvel Universe obsessions for years," he said to Vulture. "So I don’t really have a problem with the whole superhero thing right now, except I wish I didn’t have to wait until my 50s for this to be the dominant genre. Back in the ’80s, when movies sucked — I saw more movies then than I’d ever seen in my life, and the Hollywood bottom-line product was the worst it had been since the ’50s — that would have been a great time."
Old 07-06-21, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Going back to the Politically Incorrect days, the point of the show was to present an entertaining discussion of all kinds of topics. Celebrity guests weren't experts, they were just people with opinions. Dave Grohl would be a great Real Time guest. Right now, there are so many people doing podcasts that don't want to shut up, Maher should be able to book more guests that aren't beltway hacks. I'm not asking him to turn the show into The Tonight Show, but Maher is still a comedian by profession, not a journalist. It's one hour a week. I just want that one hour to be more entertaining to watch.
A little late to this, but I completely agree. He has had on some of the biggest barnacles of the beltway this season, it's been an absolute bore to get through. Can he just not get anyone else? Give me drunk Affleck vs Harris round 2! THAT would be must see.
John Pannozzi (07-07-21)
Old 08-07-21, 12:47 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

As I watch this week’s episode and Bill opines about trans issues (which he clearly knows nothing about), I wonder why he’s still on? He seems so out of touch. Who’s sits in his audience?

Ugh. Ben Shapiro is on his panel. I’m out.
Old 08-07-21, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Shapiro made an ass out of himself.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.