Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 02-18

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Apparently in Sunnydale, when a girl commits suicide in one of your spare bedrooms, its perfectly acceptable to order your younger sister to cut her down and then you bury her in your backyard without any legal ramifications whatsoever.

Kind of like when your cat dies.
Old 02-19-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by writteninstars
My take on her turning down the demon power is rooted in season 6. Back then she was really afraid she had "come back wrong". It disturbed her to no end. I think the idea that she would be so much the demon scared her. It is not something she has ever wanted. That alone made it character-consistent to me.

That was my take too. I found it character consistent. Her theme throughout the entire series has been that she will not give up her humanity at any price. To have taken the demon's power would have been a corruption for the character.

I liked the episode, things happened, it moved along the plot, Spike beat off a demon then grew a pair. What more can you ask for?
Old 02-19-03, 07:44 AM
razorbackfan

Woah dude. That thing and the other thing. Woah.
Old 02-19-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i took it that she felt it was 'raping' her.....what with the impregnation comment. can't say i blame her.

it might haved killed her..or increased her power.
Old 02-19-03, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Jlbkwrm
Spike apparently needed to be de-chipped so that, when Wood finally gets around to trying to kill him, he won't die. I do give Wood credit for trying to verify the First's claim, instead of just taking it as truth.
OK, maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I'm not following this line. Could you explain the first part? (I understand the part about Wood being sure to verify that Spike killed his Mother.)
Old 02-19-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Chopper
OK, maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I'm not following this line. Could you explain the first part? (I understand the part about Wood being sure to verify that Spike killed his Mother.)
I think he means that if Spike still had the chip he wouldn't really be able to fight Wood. Therefore, Wood could kick his ass since Spike wouldn't be able to fight back without the chip causing him great pain. Wood would have an easier time killing him. Since the chip is gone, Spike can fight back now.

At least that's what I think Jlbkwrm meant. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-19-03, 10:17 AM
Banned

First and foremost, KENNEDY MUST DIE!!!! She is so annoying, who does she think she is calling the other girls 'maggot' and telling Buffy she is out of line. She is sooooo annoying. Die Kennedy DIE!!!

phew, it feels good to rant.

AS far as the episode, It was OK not great. Im not too thrilled about the Demon raping the slayer bit, it kind of kills the mystery of the slayer. It just seems wrong.....
Old 02-19-03, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by renaldow
That was my take too. I found it character consistent. Her theme throughout the entire series has been that she will not give up her humanity at any price. To have taken the demon's power would have been a corruption for the character.

I liked the episode, things happened, it moved along the plot, Spike beat off a demon then grew a pair. What more can you ask for?
that is what I thought about Buffy as well....in her speech she was telling people to stop holding back and use what they naturally have inside of them.....I don't see an inconsistency at all...
Old 02-19-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by razorbackfan
Woah dude. That thing and the other thing. Woah.
And then that one thing? Dude...
Old 02-19-03, 12:30 PM
Banned

I dont mind Buffys speeches. I think its a way of saying shes gotten pass the dulldrums of not knowing what she wants in Season Six. Shes taking charge, one of the reasons Giles decided to leave, so she would take charge of her life and quit depending on him.

As far as refusing the power, I dont think she wanted to be part demon and who can blame her but they're in a heap of trouble with all those Uber Vamps wanting to come up.
Again, Andrew has some great lines and hes winning me over. Hated him and the Nerds of Doom last season.

I agree about Kennedy and her behavior. What right even if she was trying to take charge, did she have in calling that girl a maggot?

I also agree with the other post that said, why on earth did they bury her in the backyard?
Old 02-19-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts
I am joining the kill Kennedy bandwagon. She needs to get her @$$ kicked by Buffy and then decide who is the most powerful. We all know now what happened to the disappearing Chloe. This must be one of the episodes that ASH wasn't signed on to do. He doesn't like to work full-time anymore.
Old 02-19-03, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by lwhy?
I am joining the kill Kennedy bandwagon. She needs to get her @$$ kicked by Buffy and then decide who is the most powerful. We all know now what happened to the disappearing Chloe. This must be one of the episodes that ASH wasn't signed on to do. He doesn't like to work full-time anymore.
actually I believe he is working on another series full time over in England....the whole reason he left Buffy was to spend more time with his family across the pond....
Old 02-19-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts
Originally posted by Nathan Gervais
actually I believe he is working on another series full time over in England....the whole reason he left Buffy was to spend more time with his family across the pond....
Yeah he did want to spend more time with his family. There was an article about this in a magazine I glanced through at a grocery store. I'm not sure if he works full-time on another series though.
Old 02-19-03, 01:00 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw the Kennedy 'maggot' thing as a reference to 'Full Metal Jacket' - esp. because the same girl later kills herself.

I thought the demon that came through was a bit like the Uruk-hai (sp?) with the white markings, so the ending was appropriate.

The plot is moving along and the characters remain interesting, thats all I ask.
Old 02-19-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I didn't get the impression that Chloe and Annabelle were buried in the back yard. I'll have to watch again, but it looked like somewhere in the forest. All trees and no house. And she just carried the shovel back with her.
Old 02-19-03, 01:23 PM

I agree with the rest who do not like Kennedy. I don't like it for two reasons...the first is that I feel they are trying to force this relationship with Kennedy and Willow, because what Willow and Tara had before was great (as in storyline). And then I also don't like it that this chick can just come and and try to take control of a group that has been through so much together and people just except it.

I do wonder though if The First is going to kill Kennedy and that is going to make Willow go bad again, and then her a long with Buffy take on and defeat the first.
Old 02-19-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I dig Kennedy and her ballsy attitude, but she is going to be seriously put in her place when my dear Faith arrives
Old 02-19-03, 01:48 PM
razorbackfan

Originally posted by renaldow
And then that one thing? Dude...
Yeah, first it was like the first thing, then that last thing. Woah.
Old 02-19-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by 12thmonkey
I dig Kennedy and her ballsy attitude, but she is going to be seriously put in her place when my dear Faith arrives
Old 02-19-03, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Ghym
I think he means that if Spike still had the chip he wouldn't really be able to fight Wood. Therefore, Wood could kick his ass since Spike wouldn't be able to fight back without the chip causing him great pain. Wood would have an easier time killing him. Since the chip is gone, Spike can fight back now.

At least that's what I think Jlbkwrm meant. Correct me if I'm wrong.
OK, now I get it. I was thinking that "he wouldn't die" implied some form of immortality, not the ability to fight back.

I wonder if this would also allow Spike to end up killing Wood...
Old 02-19-03, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by Chopper
I wonder if this would also allow Spike to end up killing Wood...
It would, but I think the whole point is that Spike will choose not to. Who has the power and how they choose to wield it seems to be the theme for this season, imo.

~wis
Old 02-19-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally posted by razorbackfan
Yeah, first it was like the first thing, then that last thing. Woah.

Dude! You're so totally right on the first thing.
Old 02-19-03, 03:01 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
I just watched it. I thought it was pretty good. It had some of the funniest writing in a while for the show. The Anya and Spike scene was funny. The whole exchnge between Andrew, Buffy, and Wood was hilarious. Xander even had some good lines again. "When instructions get cryptic someone gets hurt...usually me"

I was happy to see Kennedy was able to see Willow with magic. She's been pushing Willow really hard to use it and maybe now will rethink it since Kennedy looked shaken up with what Willow did to her.

Next weels episode looks great.
Old 02-19-03, 04:02 PM
razorbackfan

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Dude! You're so totally right on the first thing.
But the last thing...WOAH!
Old 02-19-03, 09:36 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by rennervision
Apparently in Sunnydale, when a girl commits suicide in one of your spare bedrooms, its perfectly acceptable to order your younger sister to cut her down and then you bury her in your backyard without any legal ramifications whatsoever.

Kind of like when your cat dies.
I see, and how, exactly, do you propose Buffy to explain not only that there are teenage girls from all over the world living in her house without adult supervision and without going to school, but also that one of them DIED while in her house without adult supervision and not going to school?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.