Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Need help deciding Satelite TV options!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by tasha99
Just wanted to say thankyou to everyone who helped. I switched to LA service, so now I get both Fox and the WB (no more downloading of Angel and Buffy. I hope they air DS9 down there.)
Since you live in Oregon but "moved" to LA, you are only getting the LA channels on the nationwide satellite beam (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, WB and an independant I think). Anyone, anywhere in the country could "move" to LA and get these.

HOWEVER, LA's UPN and 15+ other local channels are also on Directv, but are on a spot beam satellite and are only available to "movers" who actually live within 300 or so miles of LA. If you "moved" to a Portland address, UPN and any other Portland locals (independant, Telemundo, PAX, etc.) would be included with the major networks.

If having LA is better for you, great. If you want UPN added as well, try Portland (tp 28) or maybe Seattle (tp 18).

Last edited by NC-36; 02-17-03 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-17-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts
Well . . . dagnamit. You're right, I don't get UPN (so no Buffy). I'm not sure I want to move again, and besides, I used my brother's address (I'm more comfortable with him knowing it than picking some random fast food address--for all I know someone else already chose that address.) But UPN here has DS9 . . . Maybe I should try to switch again (I could wait a few days and then tell them I'm not moving to LA afterall.)

tasha
Old 02-17-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

pricing is set to increase on satelite services.

Next month DirecTV base packages will increase $1-$2 except for total choice plus with locals which is currentrly $39.99

if you start your contract before then you will have your rate protected for the next year on your basic package

premium services will increae $0 for only 1 movie package, $1 for two and $2 for three

networks out of la and ny will also increase from $1.17 to$1.50 a piece

select choice will lose tnt, trio and sci fi for those who still have it

total choice premier is going up $4 from $81.99 to $85.99. total choice premier with locals is going up $2 from $85.99 to $87.99
Old 02-18-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But UPN here has DS9 . . .
...which we don't have in L.A.
Old 02-18-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well . . . dagnamit. You're right, I don't get UPN (so no Buffy). I'm not sure I want to move again, and besides, I used my brother's address (I'm more comfortable with him knowing it than picking some random fast food address--for all I know someone else already chose that address.) But UPN here has DS9 . . . Maybe I should try to switch again (I could wait a few days and then tell them I'm not moving to LA afterall.)

tasha
Don't worry about it. Directv CS reps are hip to this "moving" business (nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more ). I've read of people "moving" a dozen times in a month, sampling different cities until they decided which they like best.
Old 02-18-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whew. Well I switched to Portland using a fast food restaurant. It took three calls--1st time I didn't know the county of my new address (not as silly as it sounds--it turns out Portland is in many counties). Second time I had the tv policewoman. She didn't actually switch my service, so I had to call back (and the third rep was really helpful.)

The second rep said some things that concern me though. I gave them my cell phone number, and she said I would have to attach the receivers to a land based phone line and call them back with that number. She said if I didn't, I could be billed for the full $39.99 for each receiver rather than 39.99 for one and the $4.99 mirroring fee for the other. Is that true? Both are hooked in now, but duh--they're at my old Eugene phone number since I didn't really move. Anyone know anything about this? Sure, I want to watch Buffy, but for that price, I'd be better off getting basic cable with my satellite dish.

tasha
Old 02-19-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The second rep said some things that concern me though. I gave them my cell phone number, and she said I would have to attach the receivers to a land based phone line and call them back with that number. She said if I didn't, I could be billed for the full $39.99 for each receiver rather than 39.99 for one and the $4.99 mirroring fee for the other. Is that true?
Yes, that is true. Go ahead and hook them up to the telephone line and tell DirectTV your real telephone number, I doubt they will cross check the address with the areacode.

The reason for this is that they want to make sure that the two receivers are in the same house. Otherwise, you could sign up for a bunch of packages and have a mirrored receiver, you could mail me your mirrored receiver and we could split the cost of the bill.

Your options are to:
1. Pay $40 per receiver (not a good idea);
2. Hook both up to the telephone, tell DirectTV, and hope they don't realize that your area code and address don't match up, and hopefully pay $40 / month;
3. Don't have a mirrored receiver (and only pay $35 / month), but then all of your TVs would have to be on the same satellite signal at any given time; or
4. Pay DirectTV $35/month, and either have lifeline cable for ~ $12 / month or an antenna on your roof for free (after equipment cost). Then you could have one TV watching the satellite, and the other TV watching cable or a show from the antenna.
Old 02-19-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Heat
Otherwise, you could sign up for a bunch of packages and have a mirrored receiver, you could mail me your mirrored receiver and we could split the cost of the bill.
I guess the same doesn't hold true for DishNet, because I know somebody who did this very thing....and no, it was not me.....
Old 02-19-03, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess that makes sense. I'm going to see if I can do that on their website rather than call them. Thanks everyone,

tasha
Old 02-20-03, 08:01 AM

It's not impossible to get waivers for Dish Network. I have 3 of them currently obtained over the years for FOX, NBC and CBS (ABC is a pain and will never ever comply here). I was just reading at DBSTalk that my city gets locals today (bout dang time). Although this sounds cool, I've always preferred the NY and LA distant network stations to the local "we use enormous long message banners, channel logos and show you the temperature/weather icons as much as possible". I have a feeling Dish Network will do a city audit and start eliminating the folks like me that have waivers and switching us to the new offered locals. Personally I like the distant network stations I receive now. What's a good strategy to keep them? My wife won't let me be dishonest and 'move'.
Old 02-20-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BenCJedi
It's not impossible to get waivers for Dish Network. I have 3 of them currently obtained over the years for FOX, NBC and CBS (ABC is a pain and will never ever comply here). I was just reading at DBSTalk that my city gets locals today (bout dang time). Although this sounds cool, I've always preferred the NY and LA distant network stations to the local "we use enormous long message banners, channel logos and show you the temperature/weather icons as much as possible". I have a feeling Dish Network will do a city audit and start eliminating the folks like me that have waivers and switching us to the new offered locals. Personally I like the distant network stations I receive now. What's a good strategy to keep them? My wife won't let me be dishonest and 'move'.
Just keep them. You can even add your own locals and keep everything.

The qualification process for locals is different from distants. Locals are given out based on your physical address, while distants use a combination of physical address, terrain maps & waivers.

If you have been granted waivers they remain in effect until you change your address and adding your newly-accessible locals will not cause any conflicts. I've had Directv's NY/LA feeds since '95, added Greensboro locals in Dec. 2001 and now enjoy all 3 cities
Old 02-20-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW you can also add your locals online if you want to avoid speaking with a CSR.
Old 02-25-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

tasha99

Would you please email me on where you download Buffy. I missed last nights episode.
Old 02-26-03, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bcolon--ygm