Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Need help deciding Satelite TV options!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-03, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth Wizdar •<HR SIZE=1>I’ve heard this term before. ‘splain, please? <HR SIZE=1>

"Mirror" is just a term they came up with. It's the same as your digital cable. You have one receiver per output signal, and each receiver gets the same set of channels. With a lot of digital cable (if not all), you pay an extra monthly fee for each extra receiver (I think because you're "renting" it). With DirecTV, you pay a "mirroring fee" to mirror the signal to the extra receiver (which you actually own). It's the same thing, just with a different name. The way the DirecTV pricing structure works, I pay for my programming package on my primary receiver. Then I pay a $5 fee for each extra receiver that I "mirror" that package too.

das
Old 02-12-03, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tasha99
Are you serious? Has anyone else successfully done this? Basically, I'd like to try, but I'm afraid they'll say no soup for me and flag my account with badness. If it's worked for others, maybe I'll get my nerve up . . .

tasha
Plenty of people talk about it on the DirecTV portion of the Tivo boards.
Old 02-12-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
Then I pay a $5 fee for each extra receiver that I "mirror" that package too.
A digital code that allows your second receiver (or your first, for that matter) to process the received signal and output only those channels you’ve paid for, yes? Thanks, das.

Hey, just out of curiosity, can you program a receiver to change channels at a given time?
Old 02-12-03, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Wizdar •<HR SIZE=1>Hey, just out of curiosity, can you program a receiver to change channels at a given time? <HR SIZE=1>

I can't speak for all receivers, but all those that I have owned can do that, and many output IR codes to control VCRs, so you can record shows at a specified without setting both your VCR and the receiver.

das
Old 02-12-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts
Well, I'm going to try this moving thing.

Then I won't have to download Buffy anymore (UPN is just snow where I live). I've never found WB on my DirectTV lineup. Do they offer that (am I being dense and passing it by? I'd love to stop downloading Angel too--Tivo is so much easier and doesn't hog my phone line for days at a time.)

tasha
Old 02-12-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

w00t! I'm in. Making the call today.

No, really! I'm gonna do it. [Wizdar struggles to suppress the AT&T-implanted anti-cancellation device throbbing almost audibly at the base of his skull…]

tasha, good luck!
Old 02-12-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Wizdar •<HR SIZE=1>No, really! I'm gonna do it. [Wizdar struggles to suppress the AT&T-implanted anti-cancellation device throbbing almost audibly at the base of his skull…]<HR SIZE=1>

Now that you've finally seen the light, you'll want these until your eyes adjust.

das
Old 02-12-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, I saw the light a long time ago. It’s this damn_chip in my head…
Old 02-12-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I'm going to try this moving thing.

Then I won't have to download Buffy anymore (UPN is just snow where I live). I've never found WB on my DirectTV lineup. Do they offer that (am I being dense and passing it by? I'd love to stop downloading Angel too--Tivo is so much easier and doesn't hog my phone line for days at a time.)

tasha
Unlike DishNet, DirecTV doesn't have a SuperStation package. When you move, pick a city that not only gives you the best signal strength, but also one that lists WB and UPN channels. In other words, stick to the biggest city you can, which doesn't necessarily mean the one that's closest with locals.
Old 02-12-03, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and if you're not confident enough in your phone abilities to 'move', go to their website and click on the "contact us". Then send them an email under the drop-down subject of "other". Once the service address is changed (remember, this is the only one you want changed, not the billing), you can update to locals yourself from the site.

I heard it works.
Old 02-12-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be doing the "moving" technique when we get into our new house. I'm even keeping lifeline cable for my cable modem and it still comes out cheaper using DirecTV rather than digital cable.
Old 02-12-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
NC-36 -- Yep, thanks... I'm a regular on the TiVo webforum, so I know all the options... I'm likely to go that way, if and when I make the plunge...

(I haven't done so yet only for a variety of lame reasons: I rent out a couple rooms in my house, and the analog cable split is an easy/convenient free perk for the tenants... I'm concerned about the initial outlay costs for a good, flexible setup... I'm groaning at the hassle of selling/shipping my modded standalone TiVo to help pay for it all...)

If Outlet becomes a reality this year, that'll probably the catalyst to make me finally change over...
Old 02-12-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by adamblast
If Outlet becomes a reality this year, that'll probably the catalyst to make me finally change over...
What is Outlet?
Old 02-12-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by BigDave
What is Outlet?
Sorry; just a channel I'm interested in... MTV & Showtime have announced plans for a jointly-owned channel focused primarily toward gay folks... It was slated for mid-year, but I haven't heard much about it since last November...
Old 02-12-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by adamblast
Sorry; just a channel I'm interested in... MTV & Showtime have announced plans for a jointly-owned channel focused primarily toward gay folks... It was slated for mid-year, but I haven't heard much about it since last November...
Ah, gotcha. I thought it was something related to Tivo technology that I hadn't heard about.
Old 02-16-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Could someone post a link to the Tivo webforum? I'm trying to figure out how to do this moving thing (I looked at the link for signal strengths posted way above, and couldn't figure what any of it was about.)

I live in Eugene, OR (so if anyone has done this from here, let me know what city you used; otherwise I'll try to figure out what to do from the Tivo site.)

thanks,

tasha
Old 02-16-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

www.tivocommunity.com also try www.dbstalk.com. Tivocommunity is mostly for tivo-related talk and has some directv-related talk. DBStalk has a lot of Dish and Directv talk on it. There are also some dealers on dbstalk who can help you with figuring out what you want and where to get the best price.
Old 02-16-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Could someone post a link to the Tivo webforum? I'm trying to figure out how to do this moving thing (I looked at the link for signal strengths posted way above, and couldn't figure what any of it was about.)

I live in Eugene, OR (so if anyone has done this from here, let me know what city you used; otherwise I'll try to figure out what to do from the Tivo site.)

thanks,

tasha
Looks like you're less than 2 hours from Portland, correct? Portland is on transponder 28. If you check the signal strength on your receiver for this transponder, and it's fairly strong (meaning, say, at least 80 or more), then that would be a good place to move to.
Old 02-16-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks so much, Chew9. One more question though--how do I check the signal strength for 28? I clicked on my remote all around the menu for installation and setup, and couldn't find anything about transponders. Sorry to be so dense but if you know what it's under, and it's not too much trouble, please let me know.

And thanks for the links, huzefa. I'll try checking them out for info too.

tasha
Old 02-16-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those of you who are getting snow (or a bad signal) from your antenna, are you using a good antenna? Not a rinky-dink thing that sits on your TV, or a UHF antenna when you have VHF stations, etc. Where I live I get all of the locals (except for CBS) extremely clear, so I don't pay an extra $5 or $6 to get the signal through the satellite.

As an added bonus, I now have a second signal source into my TVs (one being the satellite, the second being the antenna), thus when my wife is watching something on satellite on one TV, I can be watching something from the antenna on the other TV.
Old 02-17-03, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks so much, Chew9. One more question though--how do I check the signal strength for 28? I clicked on my remote all around the menu for installation and setup, and couldn't find anything about transponders. Sorry to be so dense but if you know what it's under, and it's not too much trouble, please let me know.

And thanks for the links, huzefa. I'll try checking them out for info too.

tasha
Based on a previous post, it looks like you have a TiVo? If so, here are instructions for the DirecTiVo receiver to check transponders:

1) Go to Messages & Setup
2) Recorder & Phone Setup
3) Satellite Dish Setup
4) Test Signal Strength
5) Up Arrow to highlight the Transponder #s
6) Left/Right Arrow to move the numbers to each transponder.

If you have a standalone TiVo with a DirecTV receiver, I don't know the exact steps. Try to find something that talks about testing the signal strength under the menus. Hopefully the above gives you enough ideas where to go.

Good Luck!
Old 02-17-03, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by NC-36
Have you ever heard of "moving" ?

"Moving" involves having a service address located in a city (LA ? San Diego ? San Francisco ?) which has the locals you want while having a (different) mailing address that ensures you get your bill on time every month. No need for waivers, no muss, no fuss.

You can find out which cities are available where you are by checking transponders 4, 12, 18, 20, 26 & 28 in the setup menus on a nearby Directv receiver, then cross referencing with this chart -

http://www.tivofan.com/directv/channels.html

SF is on tp 12 & 20, Sacramento on tp 4, LA on tp 18 & 28, and SD on tp 18. Go with the one that gives you the highest signal strength readings.

Then get an address in that city to use as your "new" location, one not already occupied by a Directv or Dish Network subscriber. Cable-subscribing family or friends in your chosen city who can be let in on what you're doing are the best. Fast food joints, parking lots, and other unlikely dish locations are also good.

When you have your system installed, let the guy install it and call in to Directv with your real address, not your "fake" address. After he installs it, checks that its working properly and leaves, call Directv back and have your SERVICE address changed to the new address you're "moving" to, but tell them to leave the BILLING address alone. Tell them to add the locals to the programming you already have. Before hanging up, make sure the locals you want are showing on your TV.

If you want to double-check your account to make sure your addresses are correct, go to your online account page. If your billing address has been changed by the CS rep to where you "moved" to, just change it back to your real address yourself.

Cast off the shackles of cable TV tyranny ! Go get that DirecTiVo now !
Why wouldn't it work if they are not the same service? I have Directv, my brother has Dish. I couldn't have my service address changed to his address and get the broadcast networks clear from my Directv receiver?
Old 02-17-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Woo hoo! I figured it out (it's on "point dish" on the installation section--on the direct tv receiver itself rather than the tivo since I have a stand alone.)

Surprisingly, I get both 18 and 28 pretty good. Would an Orange County address work for that do you think? I don't know anyone in Portland, but I'd guess my brother down there would ghost an address for me.

Thanks so much!

tasha

Edit: Yup, I checked and Orange County is on the L.A. Lineup.

Last edited by tasha99; 02-17-03 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-17-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just wanted to say thankyou to everyone who helped. I switched to LA service, so now I get both Fox and the WB (no more downloading of Angel and Buffy. I hope they air DS9 down there.)
Old 02-17-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mike1977
Why wouldn't it work if they are not the same service? I have Directv, my brother has Dish. I couldn't have my service address changed to his address and get the broadcast networks clear from my Directv receiver?
It'll work fine as long as neither subscriber ever switches to the other service while at that address

If one of you were to get a better deal to switch to the other service, having the same address would cause problems. This would be compounded if total strangers who switched found out that someone on the other service was using their address to "move" to. That's why I recommend cable subscribers you know, or addresses which likely have no customer of any kind.

Last edited by NC-36; 02-17-03 at 07:55 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.