Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

'Disturbing' Jacko Unmasked in British Documentary

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-03, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Disturbing' Jacko Unmasked in British Documentary

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ple_jackson_dc

Mon Feb 3, 7:19 AM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters/Variety Music to My Yahoo!

By Paul Majendie

LONDON (Reuters) - Michael Jackson (news) is a "disturbing individual" with a love of multi-million-dollar shopping sprees and a desire to live forever, according to a journalist granted unrivalled access to the pop star.

Martin Bashir, who spent eight months making a documentary on the normally reclusive singer, said 44-year-old Jackson truly is the Peter Pan of pop who is obsessed by the idea of childhood being frozen in time.

Plastic surgery, child abuse allegations and his father's cruelty all feature in a warts-and-all British television documentary being aired in Britain Monday evening.

The ITV program is the result of the unprecedented access Jackson granted Bashir, famed for a historic interview with the late Princess Diana in which she confessed to being unfaithful to Prince Charles.

Bashir revealed snippets from it during the weekend in an article for the Sunday Times newspaper, while the television company -- which is expected to sell the show worldwide -- is guarding the secrets ahead of Monday's screening.

Jackson, said Bashir, thinks nothing of spending a fortune on shopping sprees and is surrounded by an entourage who would never dream of telling him that to dangle his baby from a hotel balcony is ludicrous and dangerous.

He went with Jackson on a shopping trip to Las Vegas in which the star spent $6 million without once glancing at any price tags.

"It was more like a multi-national corporation buying furniture for all its worldwide premises," Bashir said. "He is a disturbing individual whose financial power enables him to do what he wants."

The singer's Neverland ranch "is populated by more statues of Peter Pan than people. Jackson is obsessed by the notion of frozen childhood," he wrote.

He paints a portrait of a superstar cocooned from reality since childhood. "How many 12-year-olds receive royalty checks of $200,000?" Bashir asked.

Bashir arrived at Jackson's Berlin hotel last November just 30 minutes after he had dangled his youngest child from the balcony to show fans below.

"Not one of his entourage was prepared to tell him that what he had done was ludicrous and dangerous," Bashir said.

Jackson spoke openly of his childhood in the Jackson Five and told how his father would choreograph the brothers for shows.

"He practiced us with a belt in his hand," Jackson told Bashir. "I remember hearing my mother scream, 'Joe, you gonna kill him, you're gonna kill him."' Jackson was just 7 years old at the time.

But Jackson was far more reticent when Bashir raised the issue of plastic surgery, asking about rumors that he had implants in his cheeks, a dimple put in his chin, his lips altered and his nose re-constructed.

Each time, Jackson's response was the same: "Oh, please ..." Then he exclaimed: "It's stupid."

Jackson was accused in 1993 by one of his young friends of sexual abuse, although no charges were ever brought.

In May the following year he married Lisa Marie Presley (news), in what was widely interpreted as an attempt to rebuild his image but the union collapsed 19 months later.

Bashir asks Jackson about the allegations and writes: "Our relationship almost collapsed at this point."

"He hangs all his being on the fact that ... he has never been found guilty of any form of child abuse."

Jackson also revealed to Bashir that he was thinking of re-releasing "Thriller," his most successful album, and even re-shooting the famous video for the title song.

The reporter was full of admiration for Jackson's musical genius but kept being brought up short by the superstar's surreal outlook on life.

Jackson even confessed that he did not want to be buried, telling Bashir: "I would like to live forever."

This should be interesting!

Chris
Old 02-03-03, 12:07 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I can't wait. MJ is a one-man freak show.
Old 02-03-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
They are taking his face off?
Old 02-03-03, 12:43 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When is this showing on ABC??
Old 02-03-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by jlatham
When is this showing on ABC??
ABC, NBC to Air Dueling Michael Jackson Specials
Fri Jan 31, 1:40 PM ET

By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A tantalizing choice for television viewers during the February rating "sweeps" -- dangling babies or dwindling noses.

Weeks after NBC announced plans for a special "Dateline" edition on singer Michael Jackson's famously altered face, ABC said it will air a Jackson documentary from a British journalist who was with the Gloved One when he held his infant son outside an open hotel window in Berlin.

ABC's documentary, "Living with Michael Jackson," will be telecast Feb. 7 as a two-hour edition of news magazine "20/20," four days after it airs in Britain. Its showing would upstage NBC by 10 days.

NBC has scheduled its "Dateline" special, titled "Michael Jackson Unmasked," for Feb. 17, but network sources said executives at the General Electric Co. -owned broadcaster were thinking about moving up their broadcast.

"This is something we announced a long time ago," one NBC insider said. "To us it seems like a case of playing catch-up on the part of ABC."

A source at ABC, a unit of Walt Disney Co., said the timing of the "20/20" special was more about following the British air date as soon as possible than undermining a rival.

ABC reportedly paid between $4 million and $5 million for U.S. broadcast rights to the "Living with Michael" documentary from British journalist Martin Bashir, outbidding NBC and other competitors in a deal brokered by Granada International.

ABC and NBC, which produced its own special, each stressed the differences between their dueling Jackson events.

GLIMPSES OF NEVERLAND

The ABC documentary consists of exclusive interviews Bashir conducted with Jackson while spending the past eight months in the performer's company. He includes footage of the reclusive star with his children and behind-the-scenes glimpses of life at Jackson's Neverland Ranch in California.

Bashir, who interviewed Princess Diana for the BBC in 1995, was with Jackson in his Berlin hotel room in November when the singer shocked the world by dangling his baby son out of the window for onlookers below to see.

An ABC News spokesman said the interview includes Jackson responding to questions about his plastic surgeries and past allegations of child molestation.

While NBC Entertainment President Jeff Zucker initially touted the upcoming "Dateline" edition as a one-hour special "on Michael Jackson's face," network officials have said their piece would be broader than that, tracing Jackson's life and career as well as the transformation of his looks.

It includes interviews with several people who have been close to Jackson, including a plastic surgeon who treated him.

The performer ignited worldwide speculation about his face when he was photographed and shown on television during a rare courtroom appearance in November that left many with the impression that he had undergone one "nose-job" too many.

Although Jackson no longer remains the "King of Pop" he once was in the record business, he still makes for good TV.

CBS drew strong ratings with a Jackson concert special in 2001, and his last two American TV interviews, in 1993 and again in 1995 after his marriage to Lisa Marie Presley, were highly watched events on ABC.
Old 02-03-03, 01:03 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
You mean ABC is competing with NBC? I'm outraged!
Old 02-03-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

all you UK residents will have to keep us posted after the show tonight! cant wait to see this myself!!

never been too fond of him as an entertainer but HE sure does make for much entertainment! FREAKSHOWS COMING TO A SET NEAR YOU!
Old 02-04-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
so anyone from the Isles watch this tonight? Should we bother on this side of the pond?
Old 02-04-03, 02:12 AM

I didn't see a lot of it, but what I caught was amazing and horrifying at the same time.
He makes his children wear Venetian type costume masks when going out, but seems totally oblivious to their needs.
There was one scene I caught with all of them going to the zoo. About a 100 paprazzi were bearing down on them, and only Martin Bashir protecting the boy stopped serious injuries (his boy Prince was poked in the eye).
BTW, I'm no genetics expert, but it seems really weird that a black guy's son has blond straight hair.

At one point Michael insisted on feeding his latest baby, the poor mite had a scarf draped over it's face during the feeding, which was pointless as it was Chiffon and you could see straight through.
Won't all these masks and draperies warp them. or give them more of a complex than just being MJ's children?

Probably the most disturbing bit was when he talked about the children invited to the Ranch. A 12 year old boy was there and MJ held his hand as though he were a toddler.
MJ then talked about how he shared his bed with these children, transferring resposibility to them and claiming that it's they who insist on sharing his bed.
Martin tried to point out that it was inapprpriate, but MJ just insisted that "sharing your bed is the most loving thing you can do" !!!
Old 02-04-03, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In all seriousness what responsible parent would let their child go to Neverland Ranch? Even if Jacko isn't a degenerate pervert, I doubt that he is much of a positive presence in the life of a young child. Then again, maybe he is. What do I know?
Old 02-04-03, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bandoman
I can't wait. MJ is a one-man freak show.
well said!.

He's like a human car wreck..Tragic and intriguing to watch at the same time
Old 02-04-03, 04:43 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
INTERROGATOR
My main man. Tell me something, OK? What is problem with Michael Jackson?

TROY
What do you mean?

INTERROGATOR
The King of Pop. 'I'm bad, I'm bad, you know it --'

TROY
Yeah, Michael Jackson.

INTERROGATOR
He is fahking the small boys, man.

TROY
What are you talking about?

INTERROGATOR

He come to Egypt with the small boys. I see picture in newspaper, always he is with the small boys in the hotel window. Hello with the white glove. I am King of Pop in my hotel with the small boys. No girls. Just the boys.

TROY
He likes kids.

INTERROGATOR
Yeah, he like to fahk them up the ass.
Old 02-04-03, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

when your best friends are Elizabeth Taylor & Liza Manelli that pretty much says it all..

It`s like the mental patients in Cuckoo`s Nest
Old 02-04-03, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He does it for publicity. I am not saying that he is not seriously screwed up, but being a freak keeps his name in the news. He is thrilled to have so much attention on him now because of this doc, as well as the NBC story. What other hasbeen still generates that much attention?

Remember when the Enquirer had pictures of him sleeping in some sort of hydrogen chamber which was supposed to lead to a longer life? They ran it on the cover, and had a big write up about it. Later they admitted that Jackson had leaked the pictures to them himself.

Say what you want about his personal life, but he definitely had (if not still has) musical talent, and he is one hell of a marketing genius. (except for the child molestation allegations that is!)
Old 02-04-03, 10:51 AM

UPDATE - Granada thrills with 15 mln Jackson viewers

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030204/media_granada_3.html

Tuesday February 4, 10:25 am ET

(Adds viewing figure comparisons, paragraph 5)

LONDON, Feb 4 (Reuters) - British broadcaster Granada said its "Living with Michael Jackson" documentary netted an average of 14 million viewers on Monday, around double the usual UK viewer figures for entertainment programmes.

The 90-minute documentary, consisting of exclusive interviews conducted by British journalist Martin Bashir during the eight months he spent with the reclusive star, peaked at 15 million viewers, giving it 54 percent of the TV audience, a spokesman told Reuters on Tuesday. This easily secures the documentary a place in the week's ten most-viewed programmes, usually dominated by soap operas such as Granada's Coronation Street and EastEnders, made by publicly-funded broadcaster BBC .

In the latest data compiled by Broadcast magazine, Coronation Street topped the index for the week ending January 12 with 14.8 million viewers.

Last year's most viewed TV programme in Britain was the Christmas special of comedy drama "Only Fools and Horses", which notched up audience figures of 17.4 million.

Granada has already sold the Jackson documentary, which includes footage of the singer with his children and behind-the-scenes glimpses of life at Jackson's Neverland Ranch in California, to U.S. channel ABC (NYSEIS - News).

ABC reportedly paid between $4 million and $5 million for the U.S. broadcast rights to the programme, outbidding NBC and other rivals in a deal brokered by Granada's programme distribution company, Granada International.

A spokeswoman for Granada International declined to comment on how much ABC paid for the rights.

But she said Granada was in negotiations with a number of TV companies in other countries, and had already sold the Australian rights to Channel 7.

"There has been a huge amount of interest around the world in it," she said.

This will probably end up being # 1 in the U.S., also. I'm always amazed by how young kids are still attracted to him, even though he reached his musical peak long before they were born.

Chris
Old 02-04-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by movieking
He does it for publicity. I am not saying that he is not seriously screwed up, but being a freak keeps his name in the news. He is thrilled to have so much attention on him now because of this doc, as well as the NBC story. What other hasbeen still generates that much attention?

Remember when the Enquirer had pictures of him sleeping in some sort of hydrogen chamber which was supposed to lead to a longer life? They ran it on the cover, and had a big write up about it. Later they admitted that Jackson had leaked the pictures to them himself.

Say what you want about his personal life, but he definitely had (if not still has) musical talent, and he is one hell of a marketing genius. (except for the child molestation allegations that is!)
well said!

I agree nobody can dispute he's been one of the most prolific entertainers the last 30 years or so but it seems we spend more time talking about his weirdness these days as oppose to his music..

He reminds me of the "fat" Evlis towards the end of his life when he basically became a caricature of himself. Everybody talked about how fat and ugly he became and the music became secondary..

It's obvious with Mikey his music career is basically over people
just tune in to watch the endless freak show!

I wonder if Bubbles The Chimp and Emmanuel Lewis are available??
Old 02-06-03, 11:07 AM

The madness continues, an English woman who'se father personally knows MJ has decided after seeing the documentary to take her son to the US to meet MJ and stay at the Neverland Ranch.

She says her father thinks MJ is a kind, person and wants to give her son the opportunity to have some wonderful experiences????

Words fail me, but it just shows there are unstable people everywhere.
Old 02-06-03, 11:42 AM

Jackson Says He Shared Bed With Culkin Children

http://www.nbc4.tv/entertainment/196...202062003&ts=H

Lawyer Wants Pop Star Investigated For Actions

POSTED: 8:45 p.m. EST February 5, 2003
UPDATED: 9:17 p.m. EST February 5, 2003

"Home Alone" star Maccaulay Culkin and other children have shared a bed with pop star Michael Jackson at his Neverland Ranch in the past, and California lawyer Gloria Allred wants something done about it.

According to Reuters News Service, Allred -- who called for the state which California Department of Social Services to investigate Jackson after his recent baby-dangling incident in Germany -- now wants an investigation of the self-proclaimed "King of Pop" because of his recent bed-sharing revelations.

In a much-hyped British documentary set to air on American television Thursday, the 44-year-old pop star told interviewer Martin Bashir that he has opened his bed to Culkin, his brother Kieran and their sisters, as well as a 12-year-old cancer patient only identified as Gavin.

"Why can't you share your bed? The most loving thing to do, is to share your bed with someone," Jackson responded to Bashir, when the journalist asked whether his actions were appropriate. According to Reuters, Jackson told Bashir his actions were "very right," and "very loving," because love is what the "world needs now."

Jackson also insisted to Bashir that this sort of devotion to young children was not sexual.

Allred represented a 13-year-old boy who accused Jackson of molestation in 1993. No charges were filed in that case, which was brought to an end with a multi-million-dollar settlement.

Allred is now calling Child Welfare Services in Santa Barbara County -- where Neverland Ranch is located -- to interview the parents of Gavin and any other child that has been in Jackson's bedroom without them.

Citing confidentiality clauses, a Child Welfare Services spokesman declined to comment on Allred's request, Reuters reported. Similarly, the Santa Barbara District Attorney's Office didn't comment as to whether or not it would get involved.

Jackson has three children of his own -- 5-year-old son Prince Michael I, 4-year-old daughter Paris, and infant Prince Michael II. He had the first two children during his marriage to Debbie Rowe, and the mother of the third child is unknown.

Variety reports that over 15 million people tuned into see the documentary on British television Monday night, which was 5 million more than expected.

I wish someone would dispose of Gloria Allred! Whenever she gets her face on t.v. and tries to make it sound like she wants justice, it just sickens me. All she wants is the fame and the fortune. Whenever it's a high profile case, she is there, self righteously demanding justice.

Maybe Michael Jackson should be investigated, but I would rather have another attorney, who isn't looking to become famous, see that there is an investigation.

Chris
Old 02-06-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Jackson: TV Documentary Betrayed Trust

LONDON (AP) - Michael Jackson said Thursday a TV documentary about him was unfair and he felt "more betrayed than perhaps ever before'' by the program, in which the King of Pop revealed he sometimes lets children sleep in his bed.

In a statement issued by his London representative, Jackson said British journalist Martin Bashir broke the trust placed in him.

Bashir spent eight months making the 90-minute program, which will be shown in the United States at 8 p.m. EST Thursday on ABC's "20/20.''

"I trusted Martin Bashir to come into my life and that of my family because I wanted the truth to be told,'' Jackson said in the statement, released by his London representative Stephen Lock.

"Martin Bashir persuaded me to trust him, that his would be an honest and fair portrayal of my life and told me that he was 'the man that turned Diana's life around.'''

Bashir is well known for an interview with Princess Diana, during which she admitted being unfaithful to Prince Charles.

"Today I feel more betrayed than perhaps ever before; that someone who had got to know my children, my staff and me, whom I let into my heart and told the truth, could then sacrifice the trust I placed in him and produce this terrible and unfair program,'' Jackson said.

"Everyone who knows me will know the truth which is that my children come first in my life and that I would never harm any child.''

No one was available for comment Thursday morning at Granada, the TV company which made the documentary.

Jackson said he had received many messages of support from fans in Britain since the documentary was aired on Monday night.

But Britain's tabloid press pounced on the man they call "Wacko Jacko.'' The Sun said the ``shocking confession'' Jackson sometimes slept in the same bed with children would end Jackson's career, while the Daily Express said Jackson "faces a wave of revulsion.''

In 1993, Jackson - who says he identifies with Peter Pan and lives on a ranch called Neverland - was accused of molesting a boy who had stayed at his home. He denied the allegations, and no charges were filed.

When Bashir asked Jackson about his friendships with children, Jackson said: "I have slept in a bed with many children,'' including actor Macaulay Culkin and his brother Kieran.

"When you say `bed,' you're thinking sexual,'' Jackson said. "It's not sexual, we're going to sleep. I tuck them in. ... It's very charming, it's very sweet.''

The singer has a 5-year-old son, Prince Michael I, and 4-year-old daughter, Paris, born during his marriage to nurse Debbie Rowe, which ended in 1999. He also has an infant son, Prince Michael II, whose mother has not been identified.
Old 02-06-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Jackson Says He Shared Bed With Culkin Children

Originally posted by mrpayroll
I wish someone would dispose of Gloria Allred! Whenever she gets her face on t.v. and tries to make it sound like she wants justice, it just sickens me. All she wants is the fame and the fortune. Whenever it's a high profile case, she is there, self righteously demanding justice.
And it's a shame too... There was a time in the late 70's/early 80's when she was a brilliant and respectable analyst/speaker for the left on most issues... I once thought she and George Will were the two best "off-the-cuff" roundtable debaters on TV...

Then her initial TV career cooled off and she got desperate, tripling the amount of makeup she wears and becoming the self-parody she's been for the past decade or more...

Last edited by adamblast; 02-06-03 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-06-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

People just need to leave the guy alone and let him live his life.
Old 02-06-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd like to ignore him, but he keeps grabbing my attention by getting accused of child molestation, accepting nonexistant awards, and dangling babies off of balconies.
Old 02-06-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ironically, Emmanuel Lewis will be on TV at the same time (in LA) on "The Surreal Life" (WB Channel).
Old 02-06-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by edytwinky
People just need to leave the guy alone and let him live his life.
Unfortunatley he brings this negative attention on himself by doing the things he does!...

Perfect example was in Germany we all remember the dangling baby incident but if that wasn't bad enough he then has the audicity to take his children to to the zoo (nothing wrong with that) and parade them around like monkeys at the circus wearing strange clothes and covering thier faces in a vail..what's up with that???....

Most celebrities DO NOT treat there children like that (Joan Crawford not withstanding)...thank god!!

I can only imagine with those poor kids must be saying to themselves!.."I can't believe this freak is my father!!"
Old 02-06-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
These kids are going to have some SERIOUS issues when they grow up...if not sooner.

""Martin Bashir persuaded me to trust him, that his would be an honest and fair portrayal of my life and told me that he was 'the man that turned Diana's life around.'''

"Today I feel more betrayed than perhaps ever before; that someone who had got to know my children, my staff and me, whom I let into my heart and told the truth, could then sacrifice the trust I placed in him and produce this terrible and unfair program,'' Jackson said.
"
EARTH to Jacko: Unless there's some SERIOUS editing being done, it's all YOU baby. After seeing a clip of Bashir asking Michael about the plastic surgery and having MJ flatly deny he had any work done, I don't believe one word out of that slit he calls a mouth.

But, i'll save any further comments until I watch it tonite...

Having said all this, I do agree with DigIt. It's obvious what talent he used to have where music was concerned has disappeared...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.