Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol - Final 32 Selection - 01/29/03

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
American Idol - Final 32 Selection - 01/29/03

Damn it ... damn it ... damn it ... DAMN IT!!!

I didn't want to get caught up in this again, but I have to admit there's some real talent in this group. While they hid a lot of it from us in the early episodes, I really think this group is much stronger and significantly more diverse than last year's crop. I guess a bunch of people sitting at home during last season realized they were more talented than some of the jokers who got to perform in the later rounds.

Anyway, I was thrilled to see everyone I wanted to make it actually make it except my man Danny Rodriguez. I knew he had no chance, and he really let me down by forgetting the lyrics to his song, but he saved it with a little "My Way" going out the door. This competition needs some crooners like him, but it's just not to be.

Other than that, though, they are definitely placing talent over image this time around and putting it in our hands. The American public is pretty suckekekeke, so I'm sure we'll screw it up, but it's still nice that they're giving these kids a chance. Frenchie and Kimberly brought the house down, and they took them both. They got Ricky "Hercules" Smith, Vanessa the pink haired lady, all 3 tons of Rueben from the ATL, Patrick the rocker (also from the ATL), and the geeky white guy with a black man's voice. Not the same boy band junk we were subjected to last year.

Looks like they're going to stretch this thing out forever doing it 8 x 4 instead of 10 x 3 like last year. Hopefully turds like Jim and A.J. won't slip through this time.

Ugh ... I should have known better than to watch this again this season.

das
Old 01-30-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I laughed when that one girl fell on the floor and burst into tears when she was cut. It's wrong to laugh, but it was so over-the-top and silly, and it wasn't as if they judges had just sentanced them all to death.

Kimberly Caldwell - one of those girls who disagreed with their group, she has a really nice voice, but she's so irritating. It's be a disappointment if somebody with her type of personality moved to the Top 10, but she does have talent.

Frenchy and the other Kimberly were probably the highlights from the auditions: I couldn't believe so many people forgot the lyrics. The songs wern't that difficult, and it was embarassing. Hercules was also good.

Those guys who left to go party: did they all get cut? I think the window washer and the cocky black dude got cut, but I think the other who tried to woo Paula made it. Am I correct? I hope not - those really deserved to get cut.

Now I'm totally hooked on the show again. Argh. Yet another guilty pleasure.
Old 01-30-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Tonight's episode was sadly entertaining. Young and stupid is one way to look at it. The little drama that played out between Julia and Kimberly (stout blonde) was pretty juvenile.

I do look forward to Julia's wardrobe in the future. She looks older than the allowable 24 though.

The "duet" by Frenchie and the other Kimberly was pretty good, but they will face some "cosmetic" issues, but both can sing up a storm.

Can't believe they let go Rodriguez dude, he'd be entertaining, while keeping the new Sideshow Bob for AI 2003.

The waitress who's good at nothing had a decent voice, I wanna hear more of it.

"Hercules" still cracks me up, even when he was doing his Michael Jackson routine.

It was cruel that they made Paula give the bad news to the last 16 of the 3 groups.
Old 01-30-03, 12:23 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Marcus Curtis You knew he was going to get cut when they kept showing clips of him talking about how great he was.

I thought Frenchie and the other Kimberly were great. I have a feeling Simon is going to lobby against them big time because of how they look.

The highlight for me was when they did the first cut of the night. When that one girl started to celebrate after they told her to step forward into the front row and then said the front row was cut

Last edited by MrX; 01-30-03 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-30-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by freedexter
I laughed when that one girl fell on the floor and burst into tears when she was cut. It's wrong to laugh, but it was so over-the-top and silly, and it wasn't as if they judges had just sentanced them all to death.
That is so wrong! I actually watched that part several times so I could see the exact moment when her dreams were shattered. Poor Paula was broken up delivering the ax.

Originally posted by freedexter

Those guys who left to go party: did they all get cut? I think the window washer and the cocky black dude got cut, but I think the other who tried to woo Paula made it. Am I correct? I hope not - those really deserved to get cut.
Yes, I think the frizzy head made it through while the other two were cut.

Good to see that big fella made it. He's got a fantastic voice.

Goodbye, crooner. I didn't think he had more than just imitating Sinatra anyway.

Funniest visual of the night: Seeing Metallica Boy singing Seal. . He's not going any further.

Frenchie will make it into the top ten.

Honk!
Old 01-30-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the boy-band looking party-boy made it into the final 32 as well. I think the only one to get cut was the black guy in the ugly white hat.
Old 01-30-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth El Scorcho •<HR SIZE=1>I think the boy-band looking party-boy made it into the final 32 as well. I think the only one to get cut was the black guy in the ugly white hat. <HR SIZE=1>

Nah, he didn't make it ... just Frizzy Head.

das
Old 01-30-03, 01:12 AM
Suspended

Re: American Idol - Final 32 Selection - 01/29/03

Originally posted by das Monkey
Patrick the rocker (also from the ATL)
I just think its hilarious that this fool is being labeled a "rocker"
Old 01-30-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

patrick aka the rocker seen like a rob zombie to me.

base on simon judgment, image and talent go hand in hand, i think kimberly and frechie will get cut, base on their image.
Old 01-30-03, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe they let that Justin 2003 wannabe into the next round. What a frickin' high pitch voice!

Let's be real though. The judges shouldn't have let most of these people get this far. If they didn't have to have 32 people, most of the singers should have gotten the ax a long time ago. Most of them are just mediocre at best. Soon enough, we're going to hear Simon criticize a lot of them for sounding too karaoke. And that's the truth. No sense of prolonging the eventual agony and TRUTH that most of them just don't have the talent.
Old 01-30-03, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Tonight's episode was sadly entertaining. Young and stupid is one way to look at it. The little drama that played out between Julia and Kimberly (stout blonde) was pretty juvenile.

I didn't see it as a drama between them. More like Kimberly's true colors coming through. And so early in the show/competition. Julia sat in the lobby of the hotel for hours waiting for those other three girls to finish their dinner. Then decided to call it a night at one point. I don't blame her for not going to the scheduled rehearsal the next morning. And Kimberly takes an attitude with her !? Not once did Julia react inappropriately during any of this. It was Kimberly who acted like a bitch (and a diva). Clearly she sees Julia as a real threat. Which is nonsense. They both have fantastic voices. But because of the way Kimberly behaved, I now can't stand the girl and hope she loses. And I ***loved*** the way Julia's sister read her the riot act. Bravo!
Old 01-30-03, 07:22 AM

Man on a side note, anyone catch the Simone interview on Conan where he got judged as a guest? It got replayed this morning. Man I love that "For me to poop on" dog... he was hillarious criticizing Simone.. "Go get yourself a lawyer and sue Supercuts!"

I also didn't see myself getting into the show so much, but it's been pretty entertaining.. The two kids that bit the bait and went out to party were the smart ones... They didn't have much a chance anyway, so might as well shine in the spotlight and party it up in Hollywood.. Too bad all they seemed to hook up with were skanky lookin' weight-challenged girls. Guess after one Zima and some smoozin' all the models go home before midnight.

@ Charlie Goose.. I also found myself rewindin a few times and grinning as some of their premature delight snapped into disbelief and finally horror when the cuts were made. Man we're bad...
Old 01-30-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If it wasn't drama, Fox would not have filled up some of the 90 minutes with that "episode".

KC (Kimberly Caldwell) reminds me a little of a stouter version of Leanne Rimes in terms of looks, but she's got a lesser voice than Leanne in terms of quality.

For some reason the waitress is the one that reminds me of Kelly from last season.

How long is AI2003 going to last? 16 weeks?
Old 01-30-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
If it wasn't drama, Fox would not have filled up some of the 90 minutes with that "episode".

KC (Kimberly Caldwell) reminds me a little of a stouter version of Leanne Rimes in terms of looks, but she's got a lesser voice than Leanne in terms of quality.

For some reason the waitress is the one that reminds me of Kelly from last season.

How long is AI2003 going to last? 16 weeks?
Good call on the KC look-a-like Patman. I kept thinking of a young Loretta Swit everytime I saw her.
Old 01-30-03, 08:19 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
What a bunch of crybabies. Boo hoo hoo. They got a free trip to Los Angeles, got put up in a hotel, and got to perform on television. Suck it up.

My favorite moment of the night: the Rocker dude comes up and hugs Paula Abdul, telling her what a fan he is of her music. Yeah, right.
Old 01-30-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I'm just glad the big black guy made it in. Us big boys gotta represent....
Old 01-30-03, 08:51 AM

Simon on Conan

"They should change the name of the show from American Idol to British ****"
Old 01-30-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: American Idol - Final 32 Selection - 01/29/03

• Quoth MJKTool •<HR SIZE=1>I just think its hilarious that this fool is being labeled a "rocker" <HR SIZE=1>

Yeah, I think the term "rocker" on the show is used for anyone who's not a pu$$y teen idol.

das
Old 01-30-03, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I already miss the Tie-dyed Cowboy.
Old 01-30-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Question: Was the guy who lost his cool outside to the small black kid the same guy who went out drinking? Sorry, can't remember. Either way, that guy's a punk and should have been booted for his attitude alone. And oh, what a big tough guy he is threatening someone half his size. Now that made me laugh.

Last edited by Daytripper; 01-30-03 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-30-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, he's the same guy, and he's gone. While he was a complete jerk, that Marcus kid was almost as bad. All his fake enthusiasm and kiss-ass sense of entitlement went right out the window when he wasn't handed what he thought he deserved. He'll tell you whatever you want to hear with a smile on his face as long as he gets his way, but once things go a different direction, he shows his true colors. People like that are almost as bad as the bullies who pick on them. His "I didn't go out partying speech" was an obvious attempt to undermine the other contestants couched in an insincere "apology." While he shouldn't have threatened bodily harm, I can understand why the drinker dude got pissed off.

das
Old 01-30-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
First group of 8:

I predict the Adams guy and the blonde in lower right
Old 01-30-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
Yeah, he's the same guy, and he's gone. While he was a complete jerk, that Marcus kid was almost as bad. All his fake enthusiasm and kiss-ass sense of entitlement went right out the window when he wasn't handed what he thought he deserved. He'll tell you whatever you want to hear with a smile on his face as long as he gets his way, but once things go a different direction, he shows his true colors. People like that are almost as bad as the bullies who pick on them. His "I didn't go out partying speech" was an obvious attempt to undermine the other contestants couched in an insincere "apology." While he shouldn't have threatened bodily harm, I can understand why the drinker dude got pissed off.

das
Oh, I completely agree that Marcus was a shameless kiss ass. But the drinker dude's macho response was pathetic. Did he actually ask Marcus if he wanted a piece of him? Again, can't remember. I was laughing too hard (embarrassed for him). I mean, challenging the likes of Marcus? Please.
Old 01-30-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it was a "step up, bitch" ... "joo wanna piece of me" encounter. I'm sure Marcus egged him on with some holier-than-thou nonsense, but the kid was out of control. Beating up Marcus would prove ... um ... that you're not a 7 year old girl. Strike that ... that you're not a 3 year old girl.

das
Old 01-30-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by GuessWho
First group of 8:

I predict the Adams guy and the blonde in lower right
I agree with the Adams dude, but the blonde is the one who was quite the bitch last night, so the public may hold that against her, regardless of how well she does or hot smoking hot she is.

Honk!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.