1.41%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Your favorite Buffy season and why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-03, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your favorite Buffy season and why?

We had this discussion in the DVD Talk area but it was more of a matter of which season people most wanted to own. Since three seasons are already out the results were a tad skewed.

I've only recently really gotten into the show so I'm interested in hearing which season people like best and why. My choice so far is season 3. Seems like almost every episode in 3 is a home run.

Discuss!
Old 01-12-03, 03:40 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts
Season 5

"The Body" was great episode and it proved even more how stupid people who vote for emmys are.

Glory was a great big bad and hot to.

It's up their with season 2 as having the best ending of any season.

It had one of my favorite scenes less talked about scenes of any season
Spoiler:
Where Buffy leaves Ben on the ground because she can't bring herself to kill him eventhough she knows Glory will return, then Giles comes and finished the job
Old 01-12-03, 10:53 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Season 5 by far. I am a little biased though because I started watching the show at the begining of season 5 and before I got to watch the previous seasons, I had some things spoiled for me.

The Body and The Gift are not only my 2 favorite episodes of Buffy, but they're my 2 favorite episodes of any drama ever. I love comic books and I think Buffy has done a better job of recreating a comic book feel than any other TV show or movie. I really like all the continuity and developing subplots in comics and season 5 of Buffy did those apects better than anything else I've seen outside the comic medium. Every episode in season 5 seemed to build up to the finale, except the Dracula episode which I still don't understand it's significance. Another thing is I'm sometimes disappointed in the overall look of the show, but I never was during season 5. When Buffy went to UPN, it's budget was supposed to triple, but most of season 6 and 7 has been just plain ugly in my opinion. The production value on the Gift seems so much better than any of the other episodes. It almost seems as if Joss has just given all that extra money to Angel instead.

Season 3 was great because as you said every episode was really good. My only problem with the season was that there wasn't a single episode that stood out. I was especially disappointed by Graduation considering that my favorite episode from season 1, 2, and 4 and my second favorite episode from season 5 was the season finale.
Old 01-13-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I, on the other hand, loved 'Graduation' and will have to vote for Season 3. The way they ended seasons 2 and 5 were so incredibly powerful that it's difficult to pass them up, but 3 was the strongest season from start to finish in my mind. There were so many great storylines between Faith and Angel, and I loved the Mayor's character. It also gave us 'Earshot' and 'The Wish'. While I think the best episodes of the whole series (e.g. 'The Body') lie in other seasons, I think 3 is my favorite overall season.

das
Old 01-13-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This was hard for me. As much as people didn't like Seasons 4 & 5 as much, there were many good eps. Although I thought 5 was better than 4. But Season 4 did give us Hush and The I in Team. Both stand out eps to me. But, overall Seasons 2 and 3 stand out the most. I voted for Season 2, because that's where it really all starts to come together and show you what type of a stand out show this will be. I loved What's My Line? 1 & 2 and Suprise and Innocence really hit home for me. Passion was amazing and then ending with Becoming 1 & 2. Wow!
Old 01-13-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

While she has some other stand-out moments, I think the 'Becoming' arc and final scenes are where I first realized that SMG wasn't just some pretty teen but an incredibly talented actress. Since then, she's never gotten the credit she deserves, and I'm hoping when she leaves the show she can find roles to showcase that talent. Marrying the Jr. and making stupid teen films doesn't help create a good image to get those roles, though.

das
Old 01-13-03, 02:09 PM
Banned

Curious. I thought that season 6 (evil Willow) was a fan fave. No votes for it yet?
Old 01-13-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The other night I watched a Buffy rerun that must have been from the first or second season and noticed the whole tone of the show has really changed in the past couple seasons. It seems the earlier shows were a bit more 'fun' and had lots of sarcastic wit and one liners. The show the past couple of seasons has gotten really weighted down in seriousness and isn't the lighthearted fun it used to be. I think I definitely preferred the tone of the show in the earlier years.
Old 01-13-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Season 6 is my least favorite season. I thought that was the general feeling around here. The story telling was too uneven and seemed confusing and the whole "Willow was addicted to magic thing" sucked the big one. That was so very lame it's not even funny. It had some good eps, but my least fav season by far.

I think for me it's 2, 3, 5, 4, 1, 7(so far) and 6. Depending on the outcome of season 7, it could change in the rankings because it's had some really stellar eps.
Old 01-13-03, 03:55 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally posted by Surf Monkey
Curious. I thought that season 6 (evil Willow) was a fan fave. No votes for it yet?

If by fan fave you mean 90% of Buffy fans were planning to kill Joss Whedon last year for it then yes.
Old 01-13-03, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by MrX

If by fan fave you mean 90% of Buffy fans were planning to kill Joss Whedon last year for it then yes.
Hey, I dunno. If you say fans didn't like it then I'll take your word for it. Looks like no one is voting for it so it seems that my non scientific poll backs up your statement.

Last edited by Surf Monkey; 01-13-03 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts
I picked three because it was the season that had every supportiung character who was ever truly anyone in the series were around. Anya, Cordy, Faith, Giles, Angel, they were all present for that time period.
Old 01-14-03, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like them all but season 1 stands out for me....could be because Im watching it right now. (i got season 3 the day it came out...but im watching 1 and 2 again before i start 3)
Old 01-14-03, 08:03 PM
Banned

Season 1 actually has a couple of really good eps. The music sure is lame though.
Old 01-15-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Season 2 without a doubt for me. I love the whole Buffy/Angel relationship and we also got Spike and Dru.
Old 01-15-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
*I* voted for Season 6 if anyone is wondering.

Season 6 of "Buffy" is "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Deep Space Nine" of the entire series. Its darker, more original, more insightful, and faaaaar more daring than the series has ever been before.

*The truly stand-out episodes--

"Once More With Feeling"--Whatever compliments this brilliant episode has gotten has already been said.

"Villians"/"Two To Go"/"Grave" (Dark Willow Trilogy)--The story that really got me hooked into "Buffy". Pretty powerful stuff. A story with twists, turns, and wrenching drama.

*The Geek Trio (aka The Trio/The Troika/The Nerd Herd) A truly inspired concept for the show that gave this dark season much needed comic relief. Their comical (but ultimately tragic) pecking order; their own personality dynamics; and their clever pop culture references that put the Scoobies to shame. And in a brilliant, unexpected twist, their actions that would lead to the *REAL* big bad of the season.

*The whole theme of growing up and accepting change: Giles leaves. Anya and Xander break up; Anya becomes a vengeance demon; Willow overcoming addiction; Buffy coming to grips with returning to her mortal existence; and Spike coping with being neither man nor monster.

In the end, when all is said and done with the series; Season 6 will be seen as the season that gave the show a lot more depth and truly the dramatic linchpin of the series. Mark my words...

Last edited by PatD; 01-15-03 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-15-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Normally I like the darker themes, the deeper stories. However, the pandering after-school special way some of the episodes were handled was enough to yank me out of caring for the season despite its clear strengths. In concept, it was incredibly daring; in execution, I think it fell woefully short. Years of character development was ignored to push stories along, and the Willow as a crackwhore angle was so poorly done. I really wish we could have seen the same concept with more Joss involvement. I've often said that it felt like all the pieces were there ... they just weren't put together properly. I liked that they tried to darken it up and provide some real difficult growth and conflict ... I just wish they could have done it better.

das
Old 01-15-03, 03:24 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with a lot of what das said. Season 6 really pissed me off because I really loved it for the first month or so. Of course at the same time there were aspects that I hated. "All the Way" is imo the single worst episode in the entire 7 seasons of Buffy. "Flooded", an episode that nobody ever mentions is my second favorite episode of the season after OMWF. "Flooded" is the only episode where I think they got everything right that season (I really dislike the ending to OMWF). The thing I loved the most about those early episodes of season 6 was that they were some of the most thought-provoking shows I've ever seen. They dealt with the afterlife, depression, and change, plus what was up with all the shirts with numbers on them. It seemed like such a clue to something.

After Tabula Rasa, though, the only thing that I loved and thought was really well-done was Buffy and Spike's relationship. I think my favorite moment was when they were upstairs in the Bronze and he came up behind her. Spike seemed so incredibly evil in that scene.

As for some of the things Pat D has said, the whole series is about growing up. Sure, being taken from Heaven and brought back to life is the most traumatic event in Buffy's life, but I think Buffy had to grow up a lot more at other times. How about when she had to kill her one true love in season 2 or in season 3 when she came back and her mom and friends felt betrayed and abandoned by her? What about finding out that your sister isn't really your sister, but the key to hell, and then your mom dying and being the only person who can take care of your sister in everyday life and against the forces of evil? Sure the supporting characters may have faced more growing up in season 6 than ever before, but I felt all their arcs were handled poorly whereas Buffy's story arc have always been handled excellently.

As for the nerds, there was so much potential for humor, but I felt they really blew it. I actually think Andrew has been funnier this season by himself than all three of them were last season.

Personally, I believe everybody should vote for season 5 since it was the only season of Buffy that didn't get any Emmy nominations and it included 2 of the best hours ever on TV ("The Body" and "The Gift"). I feel like I should be campaigning for season 5. I went on a little rant in another thread about the atrocity of the Emmy's 2 years ago and I just can't seem to let that go.
Old 01-15-03, 03:44 PM

I think Season 3 is my favorite...after that there has been some stuff i really like, but the as a whole nothing has really gelled properly.

I'm not even sure if i'm going to buy any of the seasons after 3...maybe 5.
Old 01-15-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

, nny

I've often said that in their simplest forms, Buffy is about growth and Angel is about redemption. Since day one, the entire premise of the show has been finding yourself in a crazy f'd up world. Whether it's a town infested with evil or just another small town high school. Once they graduated, the same themes apply, just across a different landscape. So I don't look at Season 6 as any more about growth than the rest of the show; it just was a darker and more painful time for some of the characters.

In fact, I think the reason I love Season 3 so much is how the parallel between attending high school and fighting the Hellmouth takes center stage. Two of my favorite moments are 1)Buffy's speech to Jonathan in 'Earshot' where she points out that nobody cares about his pain because they're too busy coping with their own regardless of social status or outward appearance and 2) Oz noting at the end of 'Graduation Day II' that they survived ... not the Mayor's ascension ... high school.

I also think that the 7 episode run from 'Dopplegangland' through 'Graduation Day I & II' is the show's longest stretch of great episodes. There's really not a dud in there, and it builds to a great finale. I know some consider 'The Prom' to be cheesy, but I really like it and love the graduation scenes where all these students, from jock to nerd to princess, stand together to fight the common enemy. And the Angel scenes are just heart-breaking.

"Fire bad ... tree pretty."

das
Old 01-16-03, 07:13 PM
Banned

Really great discussion everyone! Now I'm psyched for the rest of the series to come out on DVD. Even seasons 4, 6 and 7!
Old 01-16-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Season 3 is probably the best

I think in terms of consistently good storytelling, Season 3 was probably the best.

Too bad Season 3 got caught up in the fallout of the Columbine High School massacre, though.
Old 01-16-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm gonna have to say season one since its the only one i watched.
Old 01-17-03, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jeraden
The other night I watched a Buffy rerun that must have been from the first or second season and noticed the whole tone of the show has really changed in the past couple seasons. It seems the earlier shows were a bit more 'fun' and had lots of sarcastic wit and one liners. The show the past couple of seasons has gotten really weighted down in seriousness and isn't the lighthearted fun it used to be. I think I definitely preferred the tone of the show in the earlier years.
I noticed the same thing...I started watching Season One, again just recently and I noticed lots of funny quotes...seems like now everything is gloom and doom, before maybe stuff was serious...but everybody seemed to be a lot happier.
Old 01-17-03, 04:05 PM
Banned

Season 2. Do you ever remember another show ( I dont) that a major character went from good to bad (Angel) and wasnt redeemed by the end of the episode? Do you ever remember a major character actually killing another one?
This is why Season 2 stood out. It kept the surprises coming and they didnt hit the rest button at the end like on Voyager and Enterprise. There were repercusions and major events that changed the characters forever.

The worst...my vote...Season 6! The Empire Strikes Back of Buffy? No, maybe Return of the Jedi but the characters were "Going through the Motions" and the storytelling was really messy.
Insightful? Darker in a Soap Opera sort of way and the Troika were the worst executed villans ever on Buffy.
Buffy working at a fast food joint and kicking the crap out of Spike ever episode was not entertaining to me. It was like my favorite characters were stuck in a show that wasnt theres with writers that were copying notes from someone else.

This season I have to say it has made a welcome comeback.
I do hope they end it while on top though!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.