Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC)

Old 01-26-03, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
!@#$ stupid WSYX. Running local news at midnight when nobody cares and the network has been promoting a new show for days!!! Dumb moves like this is that station has always been #3 in Columbus.

Guess I should have expected it though. A few months ago there Sunday evening news was all the stories from the day before. Only the weather and Sports was new. Lame.

edited to add: I went to their home page to see if I could e-mail someone about this. According to them, Both the Reds & Indians will be playing Thursday, and it should be 70 degrees. They also have the 2001 concert listings for Polaris ampitheater up.

Last edited by Judge Smails; 01-26-03 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-26-03, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best thing ABC could have done.. Shown the show LIVE in both the EAST and the WEST.
Old 01-26-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Jesus...it's about damn time!! 12:39 am officially....

Nice touch with the Ted Koppel intro
Old 01-26-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth cineman •<HR SIZE=1>My local station is running the idiot "local sports" show after the news (let's hear what the rednecks think about the SooperBowl yeeee-haaawww), then She Spies and Relic Hunter, instead of Jimmy Kimmel Live.

Could they suck more?
<HR SIZE=1>

Same damn thing here. This **** pisses me off to no end. Our ABC affiliate is achieving new levels of suck tonight, ****ing up the HD broadcast and now this. Like I give a **** what some dumbass local news guy thinks about the Super Bowl.

Yet another reason I endorse bootlegging.

das
Old 01-26-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This show looks excellent. Jimmy Kimmel is a lot funnier than I thought he was.
Old 01-26-03, 11:42 PM

WSYX believes Seinfeld reruns, which are at least the 5th time of the day they are re-airing will draw higher ratings than Jimmy Kimmel Live and so they aren't bothering to show it ever. West Virginia can't see it either as they think Entertainment Tonight will have better ratings. I don't know what ABC was thinking with this show especially if the majority of the country won't be airing it. Go to the Jimmy Kimmel Live site on abc.com and check out the message boards, Buffalo, Tulsa, CT, Columbus, WV and a whole slew of cities aren't even showing this program. What a waste of money to advertise and then have some idiot program director not let an entire city of a million people watch a new show.
Old 01-26-03, 11:45 PM

I thought Adam Corolla was supposed to be the "guest host" for the first week. I KNOW I heard him talking about it on Love Line and I could have swore I saw a commercial for it in the past few weeks. Not that Snoop Dogg guest hosting is a bad thing, he just seems to be so cheezy recently.
Old 01-26-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
I've enjoyed the first 15 minutes so far...
Old 01-26-03, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Snoop Dogg flipping the screen = interesting

ABC censors failing to fully censor Snoop Dogg = priceless.
Old 01-26-03, 11:55 PM

Add DC to the areas not getting this show. I think this is stupid and ABC should step in and do something with so many stations not airing a national program.
Old 01-26-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so far I'm loving this show

them testing what words they can and can't say is funny (been done before but still great)
Old 01-27-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Borst
so far I'm loving this show

them testing what words they can and can't say is funny (been done before but still great)
I'm surprised they're allowed to say 'cock'.
Old 01-27-03, 12:03 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
I wonder if Snoop is going to make it through the week? The ABC censors are a little slow tonight.
Old 01-27-03, 12:19 AM

george clooney looked like he wanted to get out of there a lot of the time. standing between one really scary and one weird guy doesn't sit with him well. thought it was funny to hear clooney got snoop to drink again.
Old 01-27-03, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought it's been pretty lame so far. Maybe it's just opening show jitters. He starts out by doing a bit on Scwartzeneggers accent, ohhhh, that's fresh material. The stuff with snoop was entertaining enough, but not funny. The interview with Clooney was forgettable and the Sapp interview was almost painful to watch.

The most entertaining thing was watching the ABC censors fail miserably to censor Snoop.
Old 01-27-03, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, Kimmel was not the most riveting host. At least Letterman/Leno/Conan usally have something that makes me laugh, but I felt Jimmy was weak.

Warren Sapp was just a bad guest.

Shame on ABC for cutting Coldplay off during "Yellow". I like that song, and I was into that performance. Oh well, I guess that repeat of "The Practice" can't wait...
Old 01-27-03, 12:35 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
I thought it was good for a first show. I'll keep watching for now.

The producers were probably having a heart attack between Snoops constant raising of the middle finger, Clooney and Jimmy talking about what words they could say,and going live to Gruden and him not being there.

I think he picked the perfect guest to open up with. Clooney and him worked well together during the interview, and Clooneys face when he was sitting between Snoop and Sapp was funny.

And what a great show when the audience is throwing up because they've drank to much
Old 01-27-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by monkeyboy
I thought it's been pretty lame so far. Maybe it's just opening show jitters. He starts out by doing a bit on Scwartzeneggers accent, ohhhh, that's fresh material. The stuff with snoop was entertaining enough, but not funny. The interview with Clooney was forgettable and the Sapp interview was almost painful to watch.

The most entertaining thing was watching the ABC censors fail miserably to censor Snoop.
Originally posted by freedexter
Yeah, Kimmel was not the most riveting host. At least Letterman/Leno/Conan usally have something that makes me laugh, but I felt Jimmy was weak.

Warren Sapp was just a bad guest.

Shame on ABC for cutting Coldplay off during "Yellow". I like that song, and I was into that performance. Oh well, I guess that repeat of "The Practice" can't wait...
Gotta agree with 95% of these sentiments. Granted, the show had a pretty broad spectrum of the industry, but I don't necessarily think a...umm...droll? mellow? like Coldplay helped maintain the "party" vibe goin' on...
Old 01-27-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
I really enjoyed 'The Chevy Chase Show', er, uh...Jimmy Kimmel.

But seriously, I think it's gonna get better with time. It's live television after-all, something the other guys obviously don't have to worry about.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen him teamed up with Adam Corolla again, maybe as a permanent sidekick ala Andy Richter. But the idea of having a different co-host every week isn't half bad, and who better than Snoop Dog to kick it off?

Last edited by Chad; 01-27-03 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-27-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't think the show was great, but it has potential. I like Jimmy Kimmel a lot, and I think once he gets used to the program, he'll really take off. Well, at least I think the potential is there.

But this show just seemed somewhat uncomfortable and a little off. Like they weren't sure exactly what they were doing. But I think that'll go away with time.
Old 01-27-03, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I like Jimmy Kimmel. Liked him since I heard him as Jimmy the sports guy on Keavin and bean. I look forward to the show, though I have to wonder why they didn't put him on the 11:30 time span. I would watch him over Leno anyday (letterman on the other hand.. nah now that I think about it, I only care about conan at night) So ABC should have had the guts to go for the throat and put him against the other two.

He has some funny ideas for sketches from his past work, So I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do in the spot light.
Old 01-27-03, 01:53 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Interesting first show - I'll blame most of the misfires on the fact that its live.

At first I thought that Snoop was going to be there permanently - but they say there's going to be a different co-host every week. That should be interesting at least.
Old 01-27-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Decent. I'll check it out again, if only because I hate Leno, and feel that Letterman ain't what he used to be.
Old 01-27-03, 11:08 AM
Banned

Stupid ABC.

I got Alias, News, then Entertainment Tonight .. never got Kimmel.
Old 01-27-03, 12:14 PM

DC and seven other ABC stations under the same ownership group did not get Kimmel - not because they think that the syndies running there now get better ratings, but because the Mouse is controlling much of the ad revenue during Kimmel, rather than the affiliates controlling (more of) the ad revenue during the syndicated programing.

I shake my fist at both of you.

RS

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.