Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
It's true. He's apologized and everything:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...sion_kimmel_dc
What else is true is that Detriot HAS BURNED THEIR CITY after winning a major sporting event (1984). What total wankers live in that city.

It gets so bad there in the future that they are taken over by an evil corporation (OCP) and have to rely on cyborg policemen to protect their city from Mr. Foreman.
Old 06-11-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 675 Likes on 546 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
It's true. He's apologized and everything:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...sion_kimmel_dc

"What I said about Pistons fans during halftime last night was a joke, nothing more. If I offended anyone I am sorry. Clearly over the past 10 years, we in L.A. have taken a commanding lead in post-game riots. If the Lakers win, I hope to overturn my own car."

Old 06-11-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What pansies. The guy is a comedian, and Detroit has so many ways to make fun of it, its not funny
Old 06-11-04, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by DVD Josh
What else is true is that Detriot HAS BURNED THEIR CITY after winning a major sporting event (1984). What total wankers live in that city.

It gets so bad there in the future that they are taken over by an evil corporation (OCP) and have to rely on cyborg policemen to protect their city from Mr. Foreman.
Just Detroit? Please...so-called "fans" across the country have caused millions of dollars in damage in the past 20 years "celebrating" championships. Hell, even UCONN fans went apeshit after the recent basketball titles. Let's not narrow this down to just Detroit, it happens all over.

Brett
Old 06-11-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Brett44
Just Detroit? Please...so-called "fans" across the country have caused millions of dollars in damage in the past 20 years "celebrating" championships. Hell, even UCONN fans went apeshit after the recent basketball titles. Let's not narrow this down to just Detroit, it happens all over.

Brett

True, but Detroit is probably most well-known for it.
Old 06-11-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
he made the comment during the half time show during tuesdays game
Old 06-11-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVD Josh
Actually that is NOT true. There is a famous photo of some drunk fatass Tiger fan in a shirt two sizes too small standing in front of a burning car. But in reality, the burning and "rioting" or whatever anyone wants to call it was limited to a few city blocks around Tiger Stadium and was certainly not even in the top 10 of worse US championship celebrations of the last 20 - 30 years. Since then Detroit has celebrated 5 championships (6 if you count the two people smoking victory cigars in the parking lot after the Shock won the WNBA championship last year) without incident. I repeat - without incident. Meanwhile the list of OTHER cities that have had celebrations get out of hand since 1984 is probably in the 30's by now (including several repeat offenders like LA and Chicago).

What it boils down to is that Detroit deservedly gets a bad rap about many things, but this one is so much more myth than actual fact. You would think an alleged comedian like Kimmel would be funnier than dredging up a 20-year dead horse and beating it again, especially when it's without merit.

Having said all that, ABC's overreaction was SO not warranted. Those are the times we live in these days.
Old 06-11-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i don't think anyone gave a shit about the shock winning the wnba championship, so thats why there was no rioting
Old 06-11-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Rypro 525
i don't think anyone gave a shit about the shock winning the wnba championship, so thats why there was no rioting

I'm amazed there were 2 people smoking victory cigars. I hope they were El Productos or something because that seems to be a waste of a good cigar.
Old 06-11-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Daryl
Actually that is NOT true. There is a famous photo of some drunk fatass Tiger fan in a shirt two sizes too small standing in front of a burning car. But in reality, the burning and "rioting" or whatever anyone wants to call it was limited to a few city blocks around Tiger Stadium and was certainly not even in the top 10 of worse US championship celebrations of the last 20 - 30 years. Since then Detroit has celebrated 5 championships (6 if you count the two people smoking victory cigars in the parking lot after the Shock won the WNBA championship last year) without incident. I repeat - without incident. Meanwhile the list of OTHER cities that have had celebrations get out of hand since 1984 is probably in the 30's by now (including several repeat offenders like LA and Chicago).

What it boils down to is that Detroit deservedly gets a bad rap about many things, but this one is so much more myth than actual fact. You would think an alleged comedian like Kimmel would be funnier than dredging up a 20-year dead horse and beating it again, especially when it's without merit.

Having said all that, ABC's overreaction was SO not warranted. Those are the times we live in these days.

I could have sworn that there riots (where 6 or 7 people died) in Detroit after the Pistons won in 1990.
Old 06-11-04, 11:35 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't see Kimmel's original comment, but I wonder if he was maybe being sarcastic since, to me, LA is more famous for rioting.
Old 06-11-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Sorry, it was my ill-fated attempt to mix in some humor.

Originally posted by Red Dog
I could have sworn that there riots (where 6 or 7 people died) in Detroit after the Pistons won in 1990.
I don't believe so. That celebration was pretty weak - partly because Detroit won it in 2500 miles away in Portland

Last edited by Daryl; 06-11-04 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-11-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess we Houston folks really aren't that fanatical about our sports teams. When the Rockets won their first title in 1994(which was also the first major sports championship in our city's history), I think one car got damaged from someone jumping on it.

That accounted for all the property damage and injuries sustained during the post-championship celebration. And believe me, it's not like there weren't hundreds of thousands of people partying in the streets. I guess we're too polite down here to start burning things when our teams do well.
Old 06-11-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Daryl

I think it's a problem if you have to mention how many times a Detroit team has won a championship WITHOUT burning down the city
Old 06-13-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know something, when a team wins a championship there's a riot in alot of these cities. Even in a place like Montreal. But the Yankees win 4 out of 5 World Series and New York is still standing.
Old 06-14-04, 02:11 PM

I'm from Michigan and near Detroit (about 30 miles away). While the sports fans in Detroit do get out of hand, it's not nearly as bad as cities like East Lansing or Ann Arbor that have the the colleges MSU & UofM. Those cities get trashed even if the teams LOSE. Mostly due to the out-of-control teenagers and their wonderful controlled alcohol intake.

Unfortunately, sports overall seem to be associated with beer. Excessive amounts of beer. These incidents are always started by drunk people and all the drunk people DON'T live in detroit.

They live in L.A.
Old 06-14-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Judremy

Unfortunately, sports overall seem to be associated with beer. Excessive amounts of beer. These incidents are always started by drunk people and all the drunk people DON'T live in detroit.

They live in Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, Royal Oak, Grosse Pointe, and Ferndale
Fixed.
Old 06-14-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I thought was dumb about Jimmy Kimmel's comments is that the Pistons don't even play in Detroit. He should know that they'd burn down Auburn Hills instead.

Actually I hope the Palace stays intact, since I'm looking forward to seeing Prince there on Sunday.
Old 06-15-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 246 Posts
Someone should start up a pool -- guess how many people will be killed in the riots in Detroit if the Pistons win the title.
Old 06-15-04, 03:20 PM

City that riots over their sports teams the most....BOSTON!
Old 04-16-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jimmy Kimmel Live looking to hire a new TV Watcher

Apply Here

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - ABC late-night television host Jimmy Kimmel is looking to hire a new professional couch potato.

One of the four staffers he pays to watch TV all day and gather humorous clips for his opening monologue each night is leaving the "Jimmy Kimmel Live" show, so the comedian is launching a nationwide search for a replacement.

The job pays about $500 or $600 a week, "and that's still more than they deserve, honestly," he said in an interview with Reuters on Friday.

A college education and personal hygiene are not necessarily required for the job, he joked. Qualifications include little more than the possession of a thumb and an offbeat sense of humor.

But the job does entail the risk of "a sharp increase in the percentage of body fat," Kimmel added.

Kimmel planned to announce the unusual job opening on his show Friday, and applicants were directed to seek details on the network Web site, ABC.com.
Old 11-01-05, 10:29 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Catch Jimmy Kimmel last night (Halloween)?

This was about the funniest Jimmy Kimmel I've seen...Mike Tyson was a guest and dressed as a vampire. He is more insane than ever, wow. I couldn't believe some of the things he would say. Kimmel should win an Emmy for not laughing in his face.

And the house band was funny as well - they were all old wrestlers (Macho Man, Hogan, Iron Sheik, Hot Rod, Sgt. Slaughter).
Old 11-01-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Tyson singing the hook to Monster Mash was quite hilarious, plus that down syndrome like tilting back and forth while doing it.
Old 11-02-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,175 Likes on 848 Posts
This was about the funniest Jimmy Kimmel I've seen
which means it was almost as funny as a typical Conan

Last edited by Count Dooku; 11-02-05 at 03:16 AM.
Old 11-02-05, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I caught the last 20 minutes or so after I got home from work. I missed Tyson's interview, but saw the hilarious Monster Mash performance.

I had SportsCenter on in the background as I was reading this thread and, ironically, at the end of the show they had a clip of the performance. So if anyone missed it last nignt, you may want to check out any of the countless SC reruns in the morning to catch a clip of it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.