Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What's up with SNL "borrowing" jokes from Conan?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-04-02, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mentioned this before.

A couple of weeks ago on SNL (the one that McCain hosted), they made a joke on Weekend Update about Hussein. "Not only did Hussein win 100% of the vote, but he also won 'Iraqi Idol'." They they had a sound clip of "Saddam" singing "A Moment Like This." Well a few nights earlier, Conan did the EXACT same joke. And even had "Saddam" singing that song. Coincidentally, John McCain was a guest that night.

Then, this past SNL (with Eric McWill&Grace as host) did a sketch about "Jackass: The Musical." And once again, a few nights earlier, Conan made a joke about a hypothetical "Jackass: The Musical."

What gives? Can it really just be a coincidence? I know Conan and SNL share a few writers (including Robert Smigel). Heck, they're even in the same building.
Old 11-04-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because

Conan=funny

SNL=Not funny

Understand?
Old 11-04-02, 01:02 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe they figure the audience for the two shows is not too common. Lorne Micheals is a producer on Conan, so he probably 'owns' the Conan material.
Old 11-04-02, 01:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mopower
Because

Conan=funny

SNL=Not funny

Understand?
B-I-N-G-O
Old 11-04-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: What's up with SNL "borrowing" jokes from Conan?

Originally posted by neale
I mentioned this before.

Then, this past SNL (with Eric McWill&Grace as host) did a sketch about "Jackass: The Musical." And once again, a few nights earlier, Conan made a joke about a hypothetical "Jackass: The Musical."

What gives? Can it really just be a coincidence? I know Conan and SNL share a few writers (including Robert Smigel). Heck, they're even in the same building.
I thought it was deja vu all over again. I saw that and caught the end SNL and was like I thought I have seen this before. Thanks for reminding me!
Old 11-04-02, 10:49 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Letterman did that too!

Conan in the previous night said,"On Thursday, Ryder wore a see-through dress during her trial. And yeah yeah, we can see that the tag is still on her panties."

Letterman the night after said,"Ryder wore a very white blouse and that many people were actually able to see-through. And, we can see that tag was still on it."

Go figure!!
Old 11-04-02, 11:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Bust
B-I-N-G-O
I get all misty thinking about that little dog. :tear:
Old 11-05-02, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
taped in the same building.. maybe the writers are eating lunch together?
Old 11-05-02, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll go with MrN's answer. Obviously they aren't stealing material because the people on Conan's show would spot that right away. The shows are closely related.
Old 11-10-02, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It happened again tonight!!! Nia Vardalos was the host.

On Conan , the joke went like this:

Red Lobster has announced that they are opening a new restaurant in Times Square. This means that there is now one more place in Times Square where you can go to get crabs.

On SNL, Tina Fey told the exact same joke.
Old 11-10-02, 11:38 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Both Conan and SNL are overseen by Lorne Michaels (I only noticed this based on a Lorne Michaels joke Conan made on one of his shows). Also, I think Robert Smiegel works on both shows (Triumph on Conan, the cartoons on SNL, & probably does writing on both), and I'm not sure what kind of overlap there is for the other writers.

Also, in the recent Amy Poelher interview on Conan, I was surprised that she did skits on Conan's showing before moving over to SNL.

Lots of crossover between the two.
Old 11-10-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by greydt

Also, in the recent Amy Poelher interview on Conan, I was surprised that she did skits on Conan's showing before moving over to SNL.
Yeah, she was most famous for her role as Andy's little sister.
Old 11-10-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by greydt

Lots of crossover between the two.
Yup. Conan used to write for SNL. Tina Fey and Conan are extremely good friends. Both the shows are taped in the same building. The hosts for SNL will usually come on Conan the same week they are on SNL.

I personally don't think this has anything to do with stealing jokes or even being uncreative. It is just reusing good jokes on what might be a different audience. Not all that different from a comedian who travels around and tells the same jokes in different venues.
Old 11-12-02, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
It's all fine and dandy that they are friends, but at least give some originality for the viewers.
Old 11-12-02, 08:50 AM

I don't know if this popped up on the other thread, but did anyone notice how in both Friends and Scrubs they used the "I peed a little" joke to explain how funny something was?
Old 11-12-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
They (writers for both shows) all probably eat in the same cafeteria and bounce stuff off of each other.

The fact that Conan's jokes are first is simply a timing issue. If a news event happens on Monday, Conan can joke about it on Tuesday... SNL has to wait till the weekend (even if it was their joke first, you see it 2nd)
Old 11-12-02, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by doughelm
I don't know if this popped up on the other thread, but did anyone notice how in both Friends and Scrubs they used the "I peed a little" joke to explain how funny something was?
I just saw this same line on Yes Dear after Greg was attacked by a raccoon.