Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

New Doctor Who series soon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-02, 01:37 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Doctor Who series soon?

Found these tidbits about the return of Doctor Who to the BBC. . . .

From the Daily Mirror:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews...l&siteid=50143

Dr Who is set to make a sensational comeback on BBC1.

The sci-fi series, which ran for 26 years until being axed in 1989, could return as early as next year. Bosses are already in talks over which actor could be the ninth Doctor. And BBC1 chief Lorraine Heggessey said the show was likely to re-occupy its original slot.

She said: "Discussions are going on at the moment but they are in the very early stages. "There is an awful lot to sort out, including copyright and so on, but, yes it could be coming back. "And tea-time on Saturdays would seem an appropriate place."

The show launched in 1963 - the day after Kennedy's assassination - with William Hartnell as the original Time Lord. The doctor's Tardis spaceship has since been home to Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann.

From BBC.com:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/news/02091801.shtml

BBC1 chief Lorraine Heggessey revealed yesterday that the Beeb is in the very early stages of a planned TV revival for Doctor Who.
"Doctor Who was a fantastic series, and I think we should be looking at ways to reinvent it," she told Simon Mayo on his Radio Five Live show yesterday.

"There is an awful lot to sort out, including copyright and so on, but, yes it could be coming back." "Discussions are going on at the moment," she added, "but they are in the very early stages."
Mayo joked that the show should return to its Saturday night teatime slot, followed by The Generation Game and The Black and White Minstrel Show. Why not pair it with the revamped Basil Brush, we say?
Old 10-09-02, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Wans't there a recent rumor that Giles from Buffy was in talks to be the next doctor?
Old 10-09-02, 07:59 PM
Banned

How are they going to regenerate Paul McGann(the current 8th Doctor?) It would be nice to see it back on the air.Heck I've been reading my novels, watching the series(On DVD and video) since 1989! Would this series be just like the old serials? Also how are they going to introduce this to non-Whovians? Is there also talks of a big screen movie too? Check out my email address(it's Doctor Who related!)
Old 10-16-02, 01:55 PM
Suspended

Well, the most recient news comes to us from a UK news/rumor site:

The UK gossip website Popbitch posted information on October 15 with rumors of a new Doctor Who TV movie. Said the report: "I suppose you all know that Tim Spall is in final talks to be the new Doctor Who? New TV movie scheduled 8.00pm BBC 1 on 23 Nov 2003, script ready-ish, pre-prod designs done, Elstree booked out for July 03, CGI being farmed, but production in-house." The reference is to actor Timothy Spall, who was Oscar nominated for his role in Mike Leigh's "Secrets and Lies" and has starred in numerous films including "Topsy-Turvy," "Vanilla Sky" and "Chicken Run". (You may remember him from his "Red Dwarf" appearance as the VR machine attendant in the episode "Back To Reality." At the moment, we merely report the report itself... there are many indications that this is likely untrue, but we'll keep this in public view for now.
Old 10-16-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Until the cameras roll, don't get too excited. This type of news gets reported all the time, yet nothing happens. Hopefully it will pan out, but they need to commit to at least a few TV movies!

I really didn't think the last BBC/FOX movie was that bad. Yes, it was a bit too Americanized, but I liked the fact that they brought back McCoy to pass the torch.
Old 10-16-02, 03:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Has there been any other thing else with the eighth doctor (Paul McGann) that made-for-TV thing with Eric Roberts?

I heard the remake is going to cater to a hip, more urban crowd. It'll be called "Dr. Hoops."
Old 10-16-02, 09:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
Has there been any other thing else with the eighth doctor (Paul McGann) that made-for-TV thing with Eric Roberts?

I heard the remake is going to cater to a hip, more urban crowd. It'll be called "Dr. Hoops."
I have not heard a peep until I saw this thread here. The way you named the remake had me . Of course I 'm a Whovian with a sense of humor I guess!
Old 10-17-02, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
A revival? Not entirely impossible, but I'm not holding my breath. Not pessimistic; just learned from too many pass hoaxes and rumors.

But yes, it would be nice to have some new Who for the 40th anniversary year. In the meantime, I'll be re-watching my tapes.
Old 10-17-02, 02:34 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Groucho
Well, it's not quite the same thing as the TV show, but Big Finish Productions has been doing audio play episodes of Doctor Who. They've managed to get Peter, Colin, Sylvester and Paul (plus a boat load of companions and bad guys) to come in and do the series. Even more surprising - they're rather well done.
Old 10-17-02, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

These rumors go out all the time. But around anniversary years it gets ones hopes up. I would love a new Who series with a good lead, a good idea for a new Doctor characterization, but I am a little apprehensive how they would approach it.

If it were a regular series, in this day and age, they couldn’t do it like the old series and have a more serialized twenty-two minute (half hour) show. It would have to be the normal 44 (or hour) long show, and that failed once already. Part of the charm of the show is the half hour cliff hangers.

I kinda' like the idea of doing little one-shot movies, maybe two or three a year, that would be neat. If they could get co-funding with some US channel (that would help with the budget and widen the distribution), I bet it could work.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 10-17-02 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-17-02, 03:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<small>
Originally posted by Slumbering Fist
I kinda' like the idea of doing little one-shot movies, maybe two or three a year, that would be neat. If they could get co-funding with some US channel (that would help with the budget and widen the distribution), I bet it could work.
</small>The film was OK but I think that it was the US money that caused the fooling around with the Who mythos.

I don't like it when outsiders decide they can do that. Enlarge, expand, explain by all means but don't take liberties.

Just my NSHO
Old 10-18-02, 01:00 AM
Banned

They Americanized the TV movie too much. I didnt like it.
The Doctor kissing the companion?
The horrible chase scene?
If they are going to do it like this, I dont want to see it.
Old 10-18-02, 02:03 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by cooper2000
The Doctor kissing the companion?
See, I didnt see it as the Doctor finally getting some nookie. It was more of a "Damn, I suddenly figured out who I am, I cheated death, and I'm really happy to be alive" kiss.

The horrible chase scene?
No worse that any chase scene out of the Third Doctor's seasons. Planet of Spiders? Day of the Daleks? This is the same thing, only much faster.
Old 10-18-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really enjoyed the tv movie. I've got it on tape somewhere, need to find it.
Old 10-19-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I didn’t think the Fox movie was terrible, but it wasn’t great either. I think the good, the promise, outweighed the stumbles... There is no reason Who cannot be modernized somewhat, mucked with to bring it up to speed, as long as the heart, the chaos, the pulp fun of the series is left in tact.

I disagree with US moneys being a downfall really. If anything, it has been the BBC that has been the most antagonistic towards Who. Throughout its run, especially near the end with the last two Doctors, the higher ups at the BBC and even Who’s main producer were openly ashamed of the show and looked down upon it. What it needs is a structure of creative support, finding people with a passion for producing the show, something it lacked when it was canned.
Old 09-25-03, 08:52 PM
Suspended

Doctor Who - back on the air!

From Outpost Gallfrey:

In what is sure to cause a great debate as to its veracity, Friday morning's London Daily Telegraph newspaper features a headline article entitled Doctor Who ready to come out of the Tardis for Saturday TV series by Tom Leonard, Media Editor, which states that Doctor Who will finally be coming back to television as a series (though a limited one). Outpost Gallifrey has received a few emails over the past week hinting that something "was soon to be announced," and we were just alerted that the article is now online on the Telegraph, with a similar article to run on Friday morning in the Guardian newspaper. Furthermore, author Mark Campbell ("Pocket Essentials: Doctor Who") has been asked to appear on a Welsh radio news programme on Friday morning to comment on the "return" of the show.

The article says that "in a move that heralds the most eagerly anticipated comeback in television history, BBC1 said yesterday that it is developing a new series of the sci-fi classic." But, says the article, "in a development that may alarm purists, the new series is being written by Russell T Davies, the creator of Queer As Folk, the controversial Channel 4 drama about gay life in Manchester, and Bob and Rose, an ITV drama about a homosexual man falling for a straight woman. Although Davies says he wants to 'introduce the character to a modern audience', Lorraine Heggessey, the controller of BBC1, insisted yesterday that she did not expect a gay Doctor Who." Heggessey apparently notes that Davies was chosen because of his knowledge of Doctor Who and experience in television. (We would point out that Davies has written for Doctor Who before, as author of the Virgin New Adventures novel "Damaged Goods".) It will also be limited, at this time, to one six-part series.

Heggessey also apparently says in the article that it is "too early to say which of the Doctor's most famous enemies, who include the Cybermen, the Master and the Sea Devils, would return, but insiders said it was unthinkable that the Daleks would not be trundling back into action." Casting has not been undertaken at press time but the article mentions Richard E. Grant, Paul McGann and Alan Davies as possible choices. Heggessey then discusses the rights issues. "Worldwide has now agreed," she says, "that, as they haven't made the film and I've been waiting for two years, it's only right that BBC1 should have a crack at making a series." The series is not likely be broadcast before 2005. Says Davies: "The new series will be fun, exciting, contemporary and scary."

The editor of Outpost Gallifrey wishes to emphasize that we are merely reprinting the report from the Daily Telegraph and any factual errors are theirs, not ours; the article can be read online by clicking here (you have to register, but it's free). While this might come as a shocking development, considering its run in respectable newspapers we have every confidence that there is at least some truth in the report. And if it is true, Doctor Who fans have cause for celebration. Outpost Gallifrey will keep you updated on any and all developments on this breaking story.

Update 0245 GMT: The Irish Examiner has picked up the story with new quotes from Mal Young, BBC controller of continuing drama series. "It’s time to crank up the Tardis and find out what lies in store for the Doctor," says Young. "We’re thrilled to have a writer of Russell’s calibre to take us on this journey. However we’re a the very early stages of development and further details including casting will not be available for some time." We've also received reports from folks online that Sky News Radio Overnight has reported the story but it's not yet on their web service.
Old 09-25-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
As a very devoted fan for 20 years, all I can say is

This better be true.

I knew the day would come.

Last edited by Autotelik; 09-25-03 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-25-03, 10:50 PM
Suspended

Well, there's a news story on the BBC Webpage now - so that's as official as it gets, I'm betting.
Old 09-26-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We're certainly considering it to be official and true. Hooray!
Old 09-26-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh. My. God. This is incredible. This is the happiest TV moment of my life.
Old 09-26-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Keep your eyes on the Outpost Gallifrey news page for developments: http://www.doctorwhonews.com

And if interested in discussing it in depth (other than here), there's already a sizeable thread on the OG forum: http://pub113.ezboard.com/bthedoctorwhoforum
(It's in "the series" section)
Old 09-26-03, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

YES!!!! (with all due respect to the Star Trek, Farscape, Buffy and Babylon 5 fans out there) The greatest sci fi TV series of all time, EVER, is finally back!!!! I can't wait!!

(I hope it's Paul McGann)
Old 09-26-03, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool!
Old 09-26-03, 10:58 AM

Problem is, we'll probably never get to see this in the United States.
Old 09-26-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Spooky
Problem is, we'll probably never get to see this in the United States.
I think BBCAmerica is a pretty good bet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.