Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

9/19/02--Survivor: Thailand

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-02, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
9/19/02--Survivor: Thailand

Well, I have to say, I think I'm going to like this group.

I wasn't surprised that
Spoiler:
old buddy John got the boot because of his attitude--still I don't think it was the best decision. They need his strength right now against the other team. Though I don't know how the other team will ever make it given their dissention.

I sure would have wanted to be the team with the shelter vs. the water on this one.

Your thoughts? Who do you think is next?

I think it'll be
Spoiler:
Robb if they're smart!
Old 09-19-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's too early for me to begin speculating on who will win it all. I'll think about it over this week, but I do forecast that this will be a good season. Last year the groups just seemed dull (to me) from the beginning. I was actually pretty excited this evening.

Thailand is an AWESOME location. It was really cool that they picked their own teams. Looks like there are enough good looking girls that I won't loose interest too fast .
Old 09-19-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good show !
I really missed watching it.

I didn't like the way they picked the teams.
If you get someone stupid, like Jan, you're screwed.

Everyone was praying that they didn't get on her team.
She was picking all the older people first.
Didn't she ever watch Survivor ?
Doesn't she know there are a lot of physical challenges and the younger people are better at it ?

Jake had the right idea, pick the young athletic type.

Then Jan and her stupid tribe members vote of John for who knows why !
What are they thinking ?
Your team is already behind in strength, so why vote off a man and keep a woman who isn't good at the physical or mental challenges ?

I hope they don't miz up the teams halfway through again.
I really hate that.
It's unfair to punish one team who is winning by working together and reward one team that isn't.

Can't wait until next Thursday !

Old 09-19-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This season is looking interesting already. Can you believe that skateboard guy? What a frickin dumbass. And who brings a skateboard as a luxury item?

Certainly the "old group" has a disadvantage in physical competitions, but the "young group" would be stupid to underestimate them. They are probably stronger than they look with a few exceptions. Plus, let's not forget that they were kicking the young'ens asses before Ghandia messed up. They had that competition won.

And finally a contestant from Arkansas! And a nude one at that.
Old 09-19-02, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bringing the skateboard as a luxury item is a waste of a luxury item. I guess it's just his way of showing everyone that he's a "skater." Whatever that means.
Old 09-19-02, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

great show already!

Well, I wasn't suprised they voted off John, I remember the weak team last year did the unthinkable and voted off the strongest guy last year(the airforce pilor or seal can't recall). They continued to follow that trend, since so many were lazy etc. and in the end, the lazy girl one it all. I gave up when that goat rancher got voted off, because it was all people who didn't deserve to win after that point. Pure luck.

That skateboardier is gonna have to build a skatepark or something, they'll get that done before the shelter .

I couldn't believe the young team was losing the race until that girl screwed up at the end for the older group. Must be lack of food, that was making em so slow.. Don't see that young group ever holding up though, fighting already and no shelter 2 days in.

This series looks excellant, and has me looking forward to devoting my full attention after bb ends next week.

ps. Way to early to even begin to guess who wins, but that NY city cop has to be a heavy favorite. How you gonna vote NYPD off... in todays times. Did you see everybody clapping and stuff for him, good for him, he deserves the love. Plus he looks to be in great shape etc. I'm putting my money on him.
Old 09-19-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very interesting. I had sort of slacked off in the past seasons, and but I'm interested again. I think the thrill of watching is kinda of faded though, I remember enjoying it more.

I'll still probably watch, but I'm hoping for something more, or at least some more new twists. I have faith in Mark Burnett(?).
Old 09-19-02, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
SOMEONE SHOOT ROBB.

Jesus christ what a moron.

Yeah, your boat is going through the water BACKWARDS and it is faster?! Are there really people this stupid out there? He's also a pretentious prick. I hate people like him.

John got screwed because he tried to take a leadership role immediately. That'll get you voted off every single time.

Here's to hoping that Robb gets dragged off the island by a guerilla Thai army.
Old 09-19-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Gotta love a Survivor series that immediately starts out with a chick getting nekkid!

And they did do a good job of putting some fine looking females in the cast as well
Old 09-20-02, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
I watched some of Survivor 1 (including the final ep) and haven't watched since.

Since getting a TiVo I decided to go for it.

I'm going to LOVE this!!

I SO wanted it to be men against women. I agreed that the women would kick the guys' hineys - women are better at group-type things

When bartender-dude says "She's very comfortable with her sexuality" after one of the women bares it all... yeah what you're REALLY saying is "Ta-tas!!"

"Retards" Not a good way to bond... cranky much?

Anyone saw the unflattering butt shot of someone as they were climbing?

I think they sent the wrong person in for someone who needed brains. She seems more like the brawny type.

It's funny how Chung Joy was bragging that the other team was so old and the other team just CREAMED them speed-wise. Guess they needed the food after all.

I've never seen a more self-centered group of people as in Chung Joy.

So now the first to show leadership gets booted off?

"John, you're first." Kind of prophetic.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 09-20-02 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-20-02, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Boot check out my sig
Old 09-20-02, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

erin has nice pair of rack like Sarah from survivor #4. Robb the skatter dude is simaliar to Father Rob or sean from Survivor#4. if you dont find any food, how da hell they going to have the energy for the IM Challenge, it requires some strenght.
Old 09-20-02, 05:33 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Struz
She was picking all the older people first.
Didn't she ever watch Survivor? Doesn't she know there are a lot of physical challenges and the younger people are better at it ?

Jake had the right idea, pick the young athletic type.
It takes me a couple episodes to remember who is on what team, but wasn't the "young" team the one that is already arguing intensely? The show isn't all about being athletic; it's about getting along socially. I give points to Jan for going with older people who know how to get along and do things like row a boat in the right direction, than with the young inexperienced ones.
Old 09-20-02, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jim in Cincy
It takes me a couple episodes to remember who is on what team, but wasn't the "young" team the one that is already arguing intensely? The show isn't all about being athletic; it's about getting along socially. I give points to Jan for going with older people who know how to get along and do things like row a boat in the right direction, than with the young inexperienced ones.
The young team already beat the old team in the 1st challenge (which wasn't that physical) and the old team voted off their best member, John.

Here is John's bio:

John enjoys scuba diving, spear fishing, deer hunting (gun and bow and arrow), playing guitar and writing country songs. He's been to 39 of the United States, Jamaica, Mexico, Canada and mission trips to the jungles of the Mosquito Coast in Honduras and Nicaragua. He is most proud of completing the Los Angeles Marathon after only three months of training. He is also proud of recently transforming his body in only twelve weeks through the Body-For-Life challenge. In his spare time, he coaches his children in little league basketball.
Old 09-20-02, 07:36 AM
Banned

The young team already beat the old team in the 1st challenge (which wasn't that physical) and the old team voted off their best member, John.
So the ultimate winner will be based on how they compete in the challenges?? Challenges that are based on athletic ability?? I must have watched a different Survivor in the past. I thought it ultimately comes down to socialization skills.....
Old 09-20-02, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jim in Cincy
So the ultimate winner will be based on how they compete in the challenges?? Challenges that are based on athletic ability?? I must have watched a different Survivor in the past. I thought it ultimately comes down to socialization skills.....
I have watched every episode of every Survivor.
If one team dominates the other they keep all there members and the losing team doesn't.
Then when the teams merge the stronger team has more members and votes off the few members from the weaker team.

Once it gets down to one tribe a survivor who excels in athleticism
can dominate and aviod being voted off.

Kelly did it in Survivor 1.
Colby did it on Survivor 2.
Ethan did it in Survivor 3.

I never said the ultimate winner is based how they compete in challenges.

The fact is physical strength and co-ordination is a huge part of succeeding at Survivor.
Old 09-20-02, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The irony is that the older team was winning in all the physical aspects of the first challenge and lost it when "know it all" girl screwed up the mental portion. Never trust someone who says, "women can multitask better, cope with pain better, and are more emotionally stable than men" with a mental challenge. She clearly thinks very highly of herself ... people like that often choke when in the spotlight.

In any case, the winners have been a fat man, an old lady, a young athlete, and youngish but not athletic lady. Physical strength is just a piece of the puzzle, and there's nothing wrong with going for more mature tribe members. In the end, this show has always been more about mental resolve and intelligent use of energy than raw physical prowess. While having strong people on your team is certainly helpful, the team that works the best together is going to win the most challenges. It's worked that way on all 4 iterations of the show, and it works that way in real life.

das
Old 09-20-02, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
In any case, the winners have been a fat man, an old lady, a young athlete, and youngish but not athletic lady.
das
Kelly deserved to win Survivor 1.
Do you remember Greg's pick a number game to pick the winner ?
His vote gave Richard the win.

Colby had Survivor 2 won but gave the million $ to Tina.

Ethan won Survivor 3.

So for 3 out of 4 shows the athelete really should have won.
Old 09-20-02, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I should have won a lot of things in my life. Same with everyone else on this planet.

Had Greg's pick a number game gone the other way, would you insist Richard should have won? And had Colby NOT picked Tina, would there have been a backlash?

Could have won and should have won are quite different.

das
Old 09-20-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Before we go counting out the old group for physical challenges, let's not forget that they have much better shelter and food sources. When those monsoons start coming in, these things, especially the shelter, are going to become KEY. I think they might really shift the power to the "weaker" group.

I also agree that getting along and working together is going to make the old group a stronger team. The young group is already dividing with dissension. That could hurt them immensely in the coming weeks.

They are so cocky. I can't wait to see them fall apart. And I can almost guarantee you, they will.
Old 09-20-02, 08:52 AM
Banned

The fact is physical strength and co-ordination is a huge part of succeeding at Survivor.
I agree totally. But it's not an athletic show. It factors in just like a bunch of other stuff.
Old 09-20-02, 09:01 AM
Banned

The irony is that the older team was winning in all the physical aspects of the first challenge and lost it when "know it all" girl screwed up the mental portion. das
Very true. Shoots Struz's theory right out of the water.

In the end, this show has always been more about mental resolve and intelligent use of energy than raw physical prowess. While having strong people on your team is certainly helpful, the team that works the best together is going to win the most challenges. It's worked that way on all 4 iterations of the show, and it works that way in real life. Das
Amen brother!!!
Old 09-20-02, 09:02 AM
Banned

Could have won and should have won are quite different. das
Beat me to it.
Old 09-20-02, 09:16 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gotta love the Golf Club as a luxury item......
Old 09-20-02, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I wasn't surprised that John was booted. Anyone who takes a leadership role early on is going to be on the radar. Plus someone who is potentially very religious (which I assume a pastor would be) could easily rub me the wrong way.

I know I'm rooting for the young tribe just so Erin sticks out and around for a long time. She is Jugs 2.

I thought is was hysterical when the one guy said that Ghandia was neither physical strong nor mentally strong so what was the point of keeping her around. I am surprised that they could not figure that she wasn't very intelligent before they assigned her to the puzzle task. That is usually something you pick up on within minutes or hours of meeting a new person.

Overall, a good episode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.