TVLand to show 20 episodes of Soap!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-09-02, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ripped from ronsch at avsforum.com

http://www.tvland.com/marathon/TVLBi...ule_soap.jhtml

Starting this Friday, Sept 13, 2002 at 8 pm.

But I think that it's ridiculous that they are not starting with the very 1st episode. The 1st year was the best year by far. After that they started the stupid alien story, Dutch becomes domesticated, etc.

Hopefully the ratings will be good enough that they start showing the series regularly from the 1st episode and in order. It would be great if they were to release the series on DVD!

By the way, I don't think any comedy series "pushed the envelope" as much as they did, with regards to sex, lifestyles and basically just outrageous storylines. I guarantee you that if the networks tried to put on a show like that today, it would never make it on the air (just like All in the Family).

I was really surprised that the series was not more popular than it was. But by the last season, the writing had become stupid and I wasn't too sad that it was cancelled, except that they could have tied up the loose ends in a T.V. movie the next season.

Chris
Old 09-09-02, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, I don't think any comedy series "pushed the envelope" as much as they did, with regards to sex, lifestyles and basically just outrageous storylines.
I agree. Jody (Billy Crystal) was the first gay character I can recall on any television show.

Great show. I was going to post about this marathon but you beat me to it.
Old 09-13-02, 03:14 AM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking forward to the marathon later today and thought the thread deserved a bump up as a reminder to others.
Old 09-13-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I loved Soap.
Old 09-14-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The show is quite funny. But can someone explain what was skipped over, particularly this stuff about the invisible man?

Thanks

dg7
Old 09-14-02, 04:59 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

You might want to check out the brief episode synopsis guide here:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/8163//soap.htm

as the marathon started around episode 24 (I believe)
Old 09-14-02, 06:20 PM

Damn it! I promised myself I wasn't going to watch this marathon because they didn't start with the 1st episode. But I turned it on just to catch a couple of minutes and I have now watched about 8 episodes with about 8 more TIVO'd.

So many of those jokes that they do are timeless and still fresh. The only thing that gives away the period in time is the godawful clothing and hair styles that they had back then. I was 16 at the time, so I dressed and looked just like them.

I really hope that they start the Fri/Sat night showings with the 1st episode and continue in order. And I hope that the ratings are so good, that they expand the showings and then decide to release DVD sets of each season. It would be great if it included outakes and behind the scene stories.

It's incredible to think that one person, Susan Harris, was the creator of the show. She must have been a looney in real life. It's too bad, I just looked her up on imdb.com and she really hasn't done too much since the 80's.

Do you know who I think were the funniest and most underated characters in the series? Chuck & Bob! Every time I look at them, I just can't stop laughing. They really needed to be on the show more than they were. Oh well back to watching..... SOAP!

Chris
Old 09-16-02, 09:23 AM
Banned

I loved this show when I was a teen. I wish it had been more popular. It was a show before its time. I didnt know they were reruning it but was turning the channel the other night and caught a few episodes.
The episode I caught was in the second season. I am guessing they didnt start in Season 1?
Still really good.
Old 09-16-02, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mrpayroll
Damn it! I promised myself I wasn't going to watch this marathon because they didn't start with the 1st episode. But I turned it on just to catch a couple of minutes and I have now watched about 8 episodes with about 8 more TIVO'd.
I'm in the same boat as you. I ended up recording the whole thing on my ReplayTv and now I'm watching all of them.

I only have 7 more episodes to go.