Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Tell me why I should buy Babylon 5 on DVD.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-02, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a show that I have never even seen a single second of.

I hear good things about it but what makes it such a great show that I would want to own it on DVD?
Old 09-06-02, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the speech:

You've seen me post. You have a pretty good idea of what things I like and dislike, where you and I agree and disagree. You know I watch just about every show on television, so I'm not one of those people that proclaims the only show I watch as the best on television. I could give you countless reasons, from the fact that it is the best arc in television history (I realize how bold that statement is, but I'll make it) to some of the most interesting and dynamic characters ever portrayed in American television. I could compare the story's scope to Lord of the Rings (from which jms draws much inpiration), and I could compare the dynamic character development to Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. I could go on ... and on ... and on ... but I won't. I will only say this ...

Trust me.

das

P.S. Once you make the mental decision to purchase it (you should have done that already), stop reading threads about it. You want a completely fresh experience watching this show. In attempts to convince you to purchase it, people may give away important plot points, and I honestly cannot think of another show where it is so important to not have things spoiled for you (not even Buffy).

Last edited by das Monkey; 09-06-02 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-06-02, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Here's the speech:

You've seen me post. You have a pretty good idea of what things I like and dislike, where you and I agree and disagree. You know I watch just about every show on television, so I'm not one of those people that proclaims the only show I watch as the best on television. I could give you countless reasons, from the fact that it is the best arc in television history (I realize how bold that statement is, but I'll make it) to some of the most interesting and dynamic characters ever portrayed in American television. I could compare the story's scope to Lord of the Rings (from which jms draws much inpiration), and I could compare the dynamic character development to Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. I could go on ... and on ... and on ... but I won't. I will only say this ...

Trust me.

das

P.S. Once you make the mental decision to purchase it (you should have done that already), stop reading threads about it. You want a completely fresh experience watching this show. In attempts to convince you to purchase it, people may give away important plot points, and I honestly cannot think of another show where it is so important to not have things spoiled for you (not even Buffy).

We pretty much have the same tastes in shows so that's good enough for me. I have never heard or read a single thing on what it's about so it will be brand new to me.

Thanks das

p.s. How many seasons was it on for?
Old 09-06-02, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because even after watching every single episode of "Scarecrow and Mrs. King" you STILL need more Boxlietner.

Actually my love watched the show and loved it.
Go rent it.
mini
Old 09-06-02, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth palebluedot •<HR SIZE=1>We pretty much have the same tastes in shows so that's good enough for me. I have never heard or read a single thing on what it's about so it will be brand new to me.

Thanks das

<HR SIZE=1>

No problem.

It was on for 5 seasons and has a very interesting (and frustrating) history, as WB expected it to immediately be as popular as Star Trek (an impossible goal) and then treated it like crap when it wasn't. Ironically, the lack of support from WB strengthened the bond between the cast and crew like no show I've ever seen, and their love for the show and their work and each other bleeds into the series elevating it to an even higher level of quality.

The only thing to keep in mind (which scares some people): the first season is mostly character development, and some find it to be a little slow, and to be fair some of the stories are a bit lame. But, hell, there are some really lame Buffy episodes too. It's the price you must pay if you want to develop compelling characters over a 22 episode television series set within an epic arc, and the payoff is more than worth it. So, as a viewer, you will have to show some patience with some of the episodes. There will be some moments (very early on) when you wonder what the hell that crazy Monkey was smoking, but there will be many more moments where you pat yourself on the back for sticking with it.

I wish I could go back and watch it again "for the first time." I envy the journey on which you're about to embark.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 09-06-02 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-06-02, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
• Quoth palebluedot •<HR SIZE=1>We pretty much have the same tastes in shows so that's good enough for me. I have never heard or read a single thing on what it's about so it will be brand new to me.

Thanks das

<HR SIZE=1>

No problem.

It was on for 5 seasons and has a very interesting (and frustrating) history, as WB expected it to immediately be as popular as Star Trek (an impossible goal) and then treated it like crap when it wasn't. Ironically, the lack of support from WB strengthened the bond between the cast and crew like no show I've ever seen, and their love for the show and their work and each other bleeds into the series elevating it to an even higher level of quality.

The only thing to keep in mind (which scares some people): the first season is mostly character development, and some find it to be a little slow, and to be fair some of the stories are a bit lame. But, hell, there are some really lame Buffy episodes too. It's the price you must pay if you want to develop compelling characters over a 22 episode television series set within an epic arc, and the payoff is more than worth it. So, as a viewer, you will have to show some patience with some of the episodes. There will be some moments (very early on) when you wonder what the hell that crazy Monkey was smoking, but there will be many more moments where you pat yourself on the back for sticking with it.

I wish I could go back and watch it again "for the first time." I envy the journey on which you're about to embark.

das
I like slow character development so I this should be right up my alley. I don't think there has ever been a long running series that didn't have a few clunky episodes...even my beloved Seinfeld (although I could find something good in every episode ) so that doesn't worry me.

Thanks das I figured you would give me a non opinion viewpoint.
Old 09-06-02, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh trust us.

Just get past some of the hokiness of Season One.

Because long about the end of Season Two and all of Season Three, you'll be on your knees thanking us.

And when you get to that last episode - "Sleeping in Light" - the whole force of the story hits just like a sledgehammer.

Best. Final. Episode. Ever.

"What a beautiful afternoon for a drive."
Old 09-06-02, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
palebluedot:

As someone who recently completed watching babylon 5, let me try to describe the qualities about it that I feel make it different from other genre shows out there (excluding buffy which is very similar in many respects, think Star Trek).

1) There is one overall story arc that takes the first four years to unfold.
2) Said story arc includes a menace of truly galactic proportions (not the hokey menace of the week star trek galaxy threat)
3) This story arc allows for some of the deepest character development I've ever seen in an sf show. Characters change, leave, and new ones come into play throughout the series, not necessarily because of actor decisions but because that best suits the story being told.
4) The cliffhanger to season 3 is perhaps the finest moment on television ever, regardless of genre.
5) If you don't like science fiction stories, or sf shows in general...try it anyone...it transcends the genre that its pigeonholed into.

Hope that helps...don't think I'm giving away any real spoilers...only incentives to watch. The first half of season 1 has some pretty good shows thought it is mainly menace of the week types but by half way to 2/3 through the first season, elements of the primary story arc come into play and you WILL be glued to your seat.

Michael
Old 09-06-02, 11:10 PM

B5 is my favorite TV show ever (Buffy and Farscape being close seconds). The thing about B5, is that things happen early on that don't seem to matter, then end up being crucial 2 years later. I've heard that the whole show was plotted out on a 5 year plan from the beginning, making it the most consistant science fiction show I've seen, and making the story arcs on a much grander scale than anything else on TV. The characters are well developed, and the writing is awesome (for a while, I think they even had Harlan Ellison as a consultant). Season 1 isn't my favorite, but it's important to "get" the rest of the show. If you're going to buy only one science fiction TV show, I think Bablylon 5 would be the one to pick.

tasha
Old 09-06-02, 11:45 PM

Re: Tell me why I should buy Babylon 5 on DVD.

Originally posted by palebluedot
All that money is just going to burn a hole in your pocket anyway, and whoever finds it will probably just buy TNG box-sets with it.
Old 09-07-02, 12:45 AM

I love B5, i watched it religiously when it moved to tnt, and then sci-fi.. the ONLY thing i hated, of the whole series, even with season one being slow, was the actor who played jeffrey sinclair.. biggest over-actor IMO.. he nearly ruined it for me when i first started watching it, but garibaldi kept me going. He's a "real" actor (ie, he does stage shows and looks down on tv actors) so he tends to be way too dramatic and such.. but other than that, this is the best show ever made (IMHO).. even though lately Buffy's been moving up in my scale.
Old 09-07-02, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I really wish some of the posts above had spoiler text in them. The less you know, the better.

I'll only offer that you should pay attention to everything you see on B5. Almost always there's a nice pay-off for the attentive viewer, and you'll come back and thank us profusely for making you watch B5. It's the only show I have a complete run in the VHS format (and will be getting the DVD season sets). I started when TNT showed the whole B5 saga in a row, 5 days a week. I don't know what I'd do if I had to watch each episode one week at a time.

The next thing you'll know, you'll be hitting all the sci-fi convention circuits hoping to meet your favorite B5 stars, and that's only the beginning...
Old 09-07-02, 01:27 AM
Suspended

The reason you should buy it - high rewatchability factor. Once you get a season or two into the show, and the plot twists and turns start going down - go back and watch the show from the beginning. Suddenly thow-away lines start to make sense. Things that were glossed over in the background come to the fore and everything starts to click.

One of my favorite terms for the show was that it was Holographic film-making. At first glance you see the picture and everything is fine, but as you look deeper and change perspective slightly - the whole picture changes. It's still the same picture, but it's a whole new way of looking at it.
Old 09-07-02, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by Patman
I really wish some of the posts above had spoiler text in them. The less you know, the better.
Maybe I'm just insensitive, but I went back looking for spoilers and couldn't find any. Or if the general "great story arcs and characterization" things people have been saying are considered spoilers, sorry.

tasha
Old 09-07-02, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm referring to the build up to specific season finales, and whatnot. Grunter's and fiver's posts give too much away because they set up expectations. Just let PBD watch the shows and let him come to his own conclusions.
Old 09-07-02, 09:47 AM
Suspended

Hmmm, I dont know. "Darth Vader is Luke Skywalkers father" is a spoiler. Saying "The Empire Strikes Back is *MUCH* better than Star Wars" really isn't.

I wouldnt sweat about it - we've all said it's top shelf stuff that starts off slow. No big whoop, really.
Old 09-07-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for ruining Star Wars for someone!
Old 09-07-02, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by Patman
Thanks for ruining Star Wars for someone!
Old 09-07-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If i buy the first season of babylon 5 should I also buy Babylon 5: The Gathering/In the Beginning?
Old 09-07-02, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth ten41 •<HR SIZE=1>If i buy the first season of babylon 5 should I also buy Babylon 5: The Gathering/In the Beginning? <HR SIZE=1>

Yes. Buy 1st Season before watching 'The Gathering', because it kinda sucks but has some very important plot points and character introductions that you'll want under your belt. 'In the Beginning' is very good, but stay away from it until at least finished with Season 3, probably Season 4. It originally aired between seasons 4 and 5.

My recommended order of viewing:

'The Gathering'
Season 1: Signs and Portents
Season 2: The Coming of Shadows
Season 3: Point of No Return
Season 4: No Surrender, No Retreat
'Third Space' (mixed into Season 4 - I recommend between 'The Illusion of Truth' and 'Attonement' - or you can just wait until after Season 4)
'In the Beginning' (after Season 4)
Season 5: Wheel of Fire
'The River of Souls'
'A Call to Arms'

das
Old 09-07-02, 05:37 PM
Suspended

Might I be so bold to suggest that perhaps In the Beginning might be a good place to start. It's a vastly superior piece of work to the pilot.
Spoiler:
For the most part, it would spoil the revelation of Sinclair and the missing 24 hours. Beyond the catalist for the end of the Earth/Mimbari war, there isnt that much given away by the movie.

I would think that a stronger back story would be worth giving up a couple of plot points in season 1. But that's just me.
Old 09-07-02, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's a LOT more given away than just those points. People often suggest watching 'In the Beginning', because it is so good, but think about what happens in that telefilm. It's not just about plot points, but character development.

'Severed Dreams' is also vastly superior to 'The Gathering', but there's no reason to watch it until it's time.

I think 'In the Beginning' should be saved as a last resort for the skeptical viewer. If he watches 'The Gathering' and some first season episodes and feels ready to bail on the show, he can pop in 'In the Beginning' to tell him how stupid that decision would be. But I think the show plays better without all that knowledge, and the telefilm also plays better after growing with the characters for 4 seasons.

But that's just me.

das
Old 09-07-02, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll throw in my two cents and agree with everyone here - B5 is the best of tv, no holds barred. It is tied with Buffy as my all time favorite show, and I think everyone should watch it. I was lucky enough to see the first two seasons in one week, as I borrowed my friend's tapes. Very satisfying. And I was hooked by the end of the second episode. Seasons 3-5 were an excruciating wait - dragging it out week by week, how dare they? But talk about worth it.

That being said, I am in awe of those of you who can remember what happened when. It's all one gigantic story in my head, and I couldn't tell you what happened in season 1 vs. 4 vs. In the Beginning vs. any other movie/season. Your memories astound me. I wish mine was half as good. Hmmm....guess I'll just have to watch the whole thing all over again to refresh it, eh?
Old 09-08-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Really, "In the Beginning" should be avoided until at least after the third season.

It doesn't really give away any of the "big" picture, but will give away a few too many little things, like how certain characters/groups align. There are some plot points that should remain mysterious until they're revelaed during the course of the show, like which characters you should trust and which you shouldn't. A lot of this old hat to those who had seen the first four seasons before "In the Beginning" aired, and they wouldn't necessarily pick up on it at first, being so familiar with how things had shaken out.

That said, even if, upon viewing "The Gathering" and Season One, you find yourself a bit disappointed, stick with the show.

I will say this: There is much groundwork being laid in the first season, even if you don't notice it at first. There are things that just pop up out of the blue in the first season -- and then seemingly forgotten -- that will impact HARD in the following seasons. (Those who've seen this know what I'm talking about.) One of the central mysteries of the series is partially revealed in the first season and will be solved later in the series. Again, it will impact the series. There are conspiracies in motion, wars and rumors or wars, characters are carrying secrets and hiding their very souls, things are happening behind the scenes, secret things that viewer won't even understand until the next seasons unfold.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 09-08-02 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-08-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts
Well, actually, ITB gives away major mysteries that weren't solved until after the end of season one, as well as revealing information about a character's past that wasn't shown until season 4, and two characters' futures that's revealed in season 3...so, I'd wait to watch it until after season 4, as it fills in a lot of backstory.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.