Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dragon Con 2002 - quick thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-02, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
I'm loving this thread - it's the next best thing to going myself. Thanks, guys, and I can hardly wait to see pics!
Next year, you people really need to drag your asses down to the ATL and check it out. Unless you only have some obsessive interest in a single TV show, you'll find tons of **** to do. It really is an incredible Con.

Let's see ... I spoke with Timothy Zahn, attended a reading with Peter David, saw an interview and Q&A with Traci Lords, followed with a Q&A with JCB, Julia Nixon, Andreas Katsulas, Lisa Wilcox, and Carel Struycken, then Whose Line? with Biggs and Carter, an engaging hour with Lani Tupu, a few hours getting autographs touring the art show and shopping through the dealer's room, saw a kickass costume contest hosted by Nelson and Murphy from MST3K, followed by an even better costume constest in the main hallway, saw the Cruxshadows and Jefferson Starship in concert, danced and limboed in a drum circle, participated in a juggling contest, attended a 'Once More With Feeling' sing-a-long, saw a live-action Rocky Horror show, and jumped in on an impromptu rap session. And that was JUST SUNDAY! All the while making new and interesting friends.

I've been to some kickass conventions, but nothing compares to Dragon in variety, quality, and value. The only drawback is the crowds, which really aren't that bad so long as you plan your schedule. You have a year. Start saving!

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 09-03-02 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-03-02, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But das - it's Hot-lanta. And I've been melting in the heat wave we've been having in Northern California. (90's the last few days). I just don't think I could take it, even to see James Marsters (yum ).
Old 09-03-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Re: Dragon Con 2002 - quick thoughts

Originally posted by Patman

Virginia Hey's hour dealt with how she got into the business (started in the creative arts side, got approached to be a model, used that money to funnel it back into projects, music videos, etc, and the acting).

Did Hey say anything about working in "The Road Warrior". That'd be interesting to hear more about.

thanks,
Tuan Jim
Old 09-03-02, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Atlanta wasn't all that hot in late August, plus you spend most of it indoors, except to walk between hotels, but that's not a big deal.
Old 09-03-02, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Patman
Atlanta wasn't all that hot in late August, plus you spend most of it indoors, except to walk between hotels, but that's not a big deal.
Yeah, the weather was actually very cool for the weekend. Of course, as he said, it could have been 130 out there, and you wouldn't know it from the bowels of the two hotels. Why anyone would go outside (except to switch hotels, which can easily be done through air conditioned tunnels if desired) is beyond me.

das
Old 09-04-02, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Yeah, the weather was actually very cool for the weekend. Of course, as he said, it could have been 130 out there, and you wouldn't know it from the bowels of the two hotels. Why anyone would go outside (except to switch hotels, which can easily be done through air conditioned tunnels if desired) is beyond me.

das
So it's like Vegas?

But even so - I just think it would be rather pathetic for the travel-challenged (like me, who's never been anywhere east of Texas, with a couple of exceptions - Virginia and Quebec) to go to a state/city for the first time and never set foot outside. Not to mention sightseeing - I love architecture (the best part of the south, imo ) and historical landmarks. And there's just no way I'd do that in the deep south in summer. I'll need 65-75 degree weather as an average for that time of year before setting foot in another state, thank you. (though I can be convinced to go where it's cold)

And I can live vicariously through you guys - pics and stories, next best thing to going myself.
Old 09-04-02, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh well, we gave it our best shot!

But, you really can't really grasp the multi-facet-ness of Dragon Con from afar. It's just flat out insane from 9 p.m. into the wee hours of the morning.

More things I saw:

Deb Abbott and her pal Wendy's little short film of burgeoning lesbian volleyball players at the Xena - Girls Just wanna dress up panel. Deb's really big in dressing up (her Wonder Woman costume was really nice this year).

Saw the LotR trailer for The Two Towers, but for some reason it was subtitled in German (I think) and there are cleaner versions of the long trailer outwith the subtitles (which I've seen floating around the net). That panel went through the extras on the DVD and talked a bit about the whole LotR trilogy. That room was packed.

I saw the Star Wars Masquerade, which was a Star Wars costume only masquerade event. I think it was the first time for this event. There were some nice costumes, but a robeless Darth Maul brought the house down with his pose-down on stage.

I saw some really bad wrestling (out of shape wrestlers), some horrendous tag-team wrestling (one of the wrestling was a newbie who forgot to stomp on the mat so his punches had no impact, it was like watching wrestling with the sound turned off.

Then I got to see the main wrestling event: Midget Wrestling! Now that was funny stuff. Sure, they couldn't quite impart the same force and impact as the normal sized wrestlers, but they were having a lot of fun with the whole thing, and so was the crowd.

I saw Apollo Smile and Rockbot perform for a few songs. It was different to see Apollo back by a band because I was used to her just singing with a music track playing as she did her thing (moving around athletically, working her nun-chuks, etc.)

Met some comic book great: Julius Schwartz, Carmine Infantino, Russ Heath, and Nick Cardy. Peter David was there (but I wasn't able to attend any of his panels due to others things I wanted to see).

Judd Winnick (From The Real World - San Francisco - the season with Pedro, who passed away months after shooting the show 8 years ago). Judd now is in the comic book biz, getting good assignments.

James O'Barr was there (Creater of The Crow), so was Dave Stevens (The Rocketeer), Dave Mack (Kabuki). Mark Larsen (of Fastner and Larsen fame) was there. Rowena was there (she had some of her painting on display in the art exhibit with price tags of $25K and $30K for a couple of them, but they were really nice paintings (dragons and lasses).

Dan Brereton (horror genre comics writer/painter), guys from Gaijin Studios (Adam Hughes, Cully Hamner, Brian Stelfreeze, Georges Jeanty, and Karl Story) were there. Bob Burden (The Flaming Carrot and Mystery Men creator) and Joe Michael Linsner (Dawn creator) was there.
Old 09-04-02, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The great thing about Dragon is that I went non-stop for 4 days straight, catching only a few hours each night before waking and lining up for the next morning's events ... and I still missed countless happenings. I focus on TV/Movie, so I often miss many Comic/Artist events. I was unhappy that I missed the Apollo Smile/Rockbot stuff. Can't remember what I saw instead. Whatever it was, it was probably cool.

Rowena's artwork was incredible. I almost bought a print but decided against it at the last minute.

Forgot about Peter David. He really pissed some people off when he ragged on Enterprise for an hour in the "Enterprise: The Verdict" panel. I thought it was great. He basically said, "forget about continuity, forget about production issues that will be ironed out in future seasons, does this show entertain you? My answer ... NO!" Some fanboys were not too happy that he was ragging on the show, but his reasons were all perfectly valid, noting that Enterprise lacked most of the great morality-play and analysis of the human condition that made Star Trek the phenomenon it is today. It was great to see one of my favorite authors stand up and echo what I've been saying about Enterprise (and latter seasons of Voyager).

I missed the midget wrestling this year as I was watching Blair Bitch and then Fatal Kiss. Damn, that Jeff Rector guy really was full of himself. He advertized the film as starring Jeff Rector, Ted Raimi, and Carel Struyken. Talk about misleading. Raimi and Struyken had the least lines of anyone in the entire short. The gimick was that for $10, you could get an autograph and free copy of the video after the showing, but there were only 50 copies of the video. Everyone was pumped and filled Centennial II-III so they would be one of the lucky few to get the video. After seeing the video, however, no one seemed interested. Two days later, I saw Rector at his table, and he still had 10+ copies of the video left.

das
Old 09-04-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Fatal Kiss represented that lame exploitative type of "movie-making" that some of these predatory directors seem to want to keep alive in Hollywood. I was wincing while staring at Tane McClure's boobage. It was funny to see Forest Ackerman in a small cameo in that short movie.

I heard (from a few of the females in attendance) that Jeff Rector dude would hit on anyone with XX chromosomes.

Oh, and the key to seeing a lot of things going on at the same time is to move around from room to room. Some of the stuff, you can just tell will be a little lame, so you just move on to the next event going on at the same time.

Last edited by Patman; 09-04-02 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-04-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Patman •<HR SIZE=1>Oh, and the key to seeing a lot of things going on at the same time is to move around from room to room. Some of the stuff, you can just tell will be a little lame, so you just move on to the next event going on at the same time. <HR SIZE=1>

I could do that, but 95% of the events that I attend are worth sticking around for, so it's rarely an issue. Really, the only waste of time was the Rector thing, and that was worth it just so my friends and I can make fun of him for the next 15 years. Last year, the big mistake was attending the banquet. Other than that, I choose my panels pretty well, so I rarely have reason to leave and try something else.

das
Old 09-04-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It does drive me nuts when the programming has 4 things I want to see/attend at the same time! Grr!
Old 09-04-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Patman •<HR SIZE=1>It does drive me nuts when the programming has 4 things I want to see/attend at the same time! Grr! <HR SIZE=1>

Yeah, it's frustrating. I try to look at the big picture though and see who I think would probably return or who I've already seen. Like this year, I knew I better see Traci Lords and Linda Blair, because I likely won't get another chance. However, I skipped some Ted Raimi things, as I've seen him before, and he'll probably be back.

das
Old 09-04-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Which is why I skipped Peter David's panels. Since his wife is from Atlanta. Heh heh.
Old 09-04-02, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

For anyone reading this thread who may be interested (various crickets, I'm sure), Dragon*Con has started posting links to picture web sites. Of course, they won't be nearly as good or prolific as mine and the Patman's, but it will give you something to look at and drool over what you missed.

das
Old 09-04-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I really need to find a way to get a press badge...
Old 09-04-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Patman •<HR SIZE=1>I really need to find a way to get a press badge... <HR SIZE=1>

What extra access does that give you?

das
Old 09-04-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You get to go into the back areas before the Dawn and Masquerade contests. I saw some nice shots of the contestants from each contest posted on some of the webpages for DC2002 already.
Old 09-07-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've categorized, and renamed all the photos (except for the film photos that I have yet to scan). All that's left to do is write the webpages themselves. I've even created thumbnails as well. The initial cut will be around 1600 photos, over 80MB in size. I am having a hard time cutting out stuff.
Old 09-09-02, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've got 1/3 of the pages done. All that's left are the biggies: The Dawn Look-alike contest, the Masquerade, and all of the costume pix. Whew!

I've done the artists/celebs/misc/booths/wrestling pages today.
Old 09-09-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Patman •<HR SIZE=1>I've got 1/3 of the pages done. All that's left are the biggies: The Dawn Look-alike contest, the Masquerade, and all of the costume pix. Whew!

I've done the artists/celebs/misc/booths/wrestling pages today.
<HR SIZE=1>

Yeah, I'm about 1/3 done too.

Step 1) Unpack camera
Step 2) Develop film
Step 3) Scan and organize film

I'm done with Step 1.

das
Old 09-10-02, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Masquerade page is done, and the Dawn page is half done...
Old 09-10-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One more page and I'm done! I'll probably finish it up tomorrow morning...
Old 09-10-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One more page and I've started!!!

das

P.S. I look forward to seeing your pics.
Old 09-11-02, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Drum roll, please!

Here's my Dragon Con 2002 webpage.

Fair warning, there are 100s of thumbnails/page, so each page will take a while to load unless you have a fast connection to the internet.
Old 09-11-02, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Great job, Patman!!! Dawn and Masquerade didn't work for me. Of note, I am in some of your pictures ... like Where's Waldo, there's a dead giveaway it's me ... good luck figuring it out.

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.