Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol on FOX - Best show ever! (merged)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol on FOX - Best show ever! (merged)

Old 06-11-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American Idol on FOX - Best show ever!

Ok, maybe not, but there is something refreshing about the honesty of those judges. No gloss-over, no euphemisms, just brutal, brutal honesty. This is one entertaining program. I just can't get enough of watching young people's dreams come shattering down in a barrage of humiliation. Who else is watching this brilliant show?
Old 06-11-02, 08:33 PM

i can't , this show is hilarious!
Old 06-11-02, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: American Idol on FOX - Best show ever!

Originally posted by caiman
Ok, maybe not, but there is something refreshing about the honesty of those judges. No gloss-over, no euphemisms, just brutal, brutal honesty. This is one entertaining program. I just can't get enough of watching young people's dreams come shattering down in a barrage of humiliation. Who else is watching this brilliant show?
It was funny, yet sad at the same time. Who is that Simon guy anyway?
Old 06-11-02, 10:36 PM

Not too shabby - finally a "reality" show I can get behind: one that ridicules a large number of the people who will do anything for fame.

The only bad part, as I see it, is that they got rid of all the losers on this first show, so from here on out, it is only people that have shown that they have some level of talent, and as such, we aren't going to be seeing anywhere near the level of rude comments towards the contestants anymore!
Old 06-11-02, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Simon: did you take music lessons?
bad singer: a few
S: who taught you?
bs: ... (I forgot the name)
S: do you have a lawyer?
bs: no
S: get one and sue her

definately my favorite part
Old 06-11-02, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I normally wouldn't watch a show like this but I started watching waiting for another show to come on and I must say...this is some funny stuff.

Some of this HAS to be made up...I mean some of these kids are just sooooo bad...How about the guy from Dallas singing Silent Night...OMG it freakin killed me

Last edited by palebluedot; 06-12-02 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-12-02, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: American Idol on FOX - Best show ever!

Originally posted by the aftermath

It was funny, yet sad at the same time. Who is that Simon guy anyway?
They guy who hosted it over in England. Its called "Pop Stars" over there I believe, or "Pop Idols".

Paula Abdul is still easy on the eyes.
Old 06-12-02, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got finished watching it - very entertaining. The part I liked best was seeing a girl who cut cut at the workshop in PopStars and then didn't make it at Popstars 2 past the audition try a third series...American Idol. Her name is Alexandra, I think (she wore all white and her friend was the girl who the judges kept in suspense while they debated whether or not she was good enough...then let her come to hollywood). She made it past the first round, though, so we'll see. I'm excited to get to vote - something I wanted to do in PopStars 1 & 2.

Don't forget that the second episode is Wednesday the 12th (tonight).

I have to laugh - I just went to the message board on the american idol website and there were apparently a LOT of PopStars rejects people recognized. Some of them include:
Moi - got cut from PopStars 2 but made the Hollywood cut on American Idol - he's the only one besides the Alexandra girl that I remember from PopStars.

Tatiana on the message board said that Jackie, Vanessa, Alexandra, Tenia Taylor, Angela Peele, Nikki McGibbon and Lindsay all tried out for Idol and were on PopStars.

Last edited by WarriorPrincess; 06-12-02 at 03:36 AM.
Old 06-12-02, 08:31 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by hotaru_san
Simon: did you take music lessons?
bad singer: a few
S: who taught you?
bs: ... (I forgot the name)
S: do you have a lawyer?
bs: no
S: get one and sue her

definately my favorite part
That was the best part of the whole show.

Some of the people were just horrid. Like that girl singing Lady Marmalade. *shudder*
Old 06-12-02, 09:19 AM

You ARE the weakest link. Goodbye!
Old 06-12-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The problem I have with the show is their measuring stick for what qualifies as "star" power singing.

Why the hell did nearly every single singer who made it to the second round have that show-offy, quavering, sing-10-notes-in-a-lilting-octave-instead-of-just-one-clear-one, trashy R&B style voice?

I SERIOUSLY LOATHE THIS STYLE OF "SINGING". It totally smacks of amateur-ness.

And I can not wait till it falls out of fashion.

This series won't be as big as the U.K. version though. The hunger for the hermetically packaged pop star on this side of the pond has cooled considerably.

This is simply "Star Search" redux, minus the bellowing McMahon announcing, with a dash of "Surivor"-esque tribal council voting thrown in for flavor.
Old 06-12-02, 10:33 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I agree about a few of them. One of the wispy girls that made it sounded like she was singing on top a washing machine that was severly out of balance.
Old 06-12-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Vryce
I agree about a few of them. One of the wispy girls that made it sounded like she was singing on top a washing machine that was severly out of balance.
Abdul is indeed still very pretty. However, she's never really been a good singer. In fact, she's probably had more vocal enhancements than Britney in the studio. I'd like to see HER get up there and sing a song without any music or backup.
Old 06-12-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by grunter
The problem I have with the show is their measuring stick for what qualifies as "star" power singing.

Why the hell did nearly every single singer who made it to the second round have that show-offy, quavering, sing-10-notes-in-a-lilting-octave-instead-of-just-one-clear-one, trashy R&B style voice?

I SERIOUSLY LOATHE THIS STYLE OF "SINGING". It totally smacks of amateur-ness.

And I can not wait till it falls out of fashion.
You got that right... It's a pet peeve of mine, too, but I'm afraid we're fighting a losing battle.

A few well-placed improvs or adjustments can be fine in a song, if you know and respect the original tune. But most pop singers couldn't care less about the actual melody anymore. (And what they do to the national anthem is just sickening...) It's all about vocal gymnastics and show-offy crap. I think we can all thank Whitney Houston, the pioneer of power-trash-singing.

Last edited by adamblast; 06-12-02 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-12-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Keep this in mind, however. After the first episode they've weeded out all the singers they thought sucked. Now it's just a battle between one cookie cutter kid and another. This show is basically over.

Now, if they had a regular show of just round one auditions THAT would be funny!
Old 06-12-02, 01:27 PM

I loved last night's show. But like others have said, I don't expect to like any more, and probably won't watch.
I don't care about the contest, or finding an "idol" or anything like that.

It was just SO FUNNY to watch the rejects, and how bad they were and watch Simon make fun of them.

But now it's the "finalists" or supposedly good singers or whatever. WHO CARES? Nobody "blew me away".
If I want good music I listen to a cd.

What's funny is I'd probably watch a show of the rejects singing, or even have their cd of THEIR SONGS, before the "talented ones". Because the talented ones aren't that great, but the rejects WERE AMUSING, which is what made last night's show.

maybe I'm wrong.
Old 06-12-02, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Drat! I was looking forward to this show, but completely forgot it was on while I watched The Godfather for the 73rd time. I must remember to catch it tonight.

Honk!
Old 06-12-02, 04:43 PM

My favorite was definately that little skinny guy that tried to dance and sing like NSync. He looked about 15 years old. I thought it was a joke at first, as he was so shy, and pretty much just spoke the words to the song in a soft, quivering voice. Did he actually think he had a chance?
Old 06-12-02, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was a pretty mean show, but it was so entertaing that I forgot to watch "The Mole". Oops.
Old 06-12-02, 07:57 PM

The funniest part was that Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader who ran to hug the judges and then fell under the table.

We ran that back at least 5 times.

Gotta love PVR's.

Old 06-12-02, 08:57 PM

Spoiler:
Is it just me, or is it too obvious that the kid with the deaf parents is going to win.
Old 06-12-02, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Spoiler:
Is it just me, or is it too obvious that the kid with the deaf parents is going to win.
I hope your guess is wrong - I want
Spoiler:
Justin to win - the guy that made Paula Abdul get all teary-eyed. Hi singing made me teary-eyed, too, and I didn't even get to hear the whole song.

As to the "talent" in the group
Spoiler:
I thought only a handful of them had real vocal ability, including Justin, Jim - the guy with the deaf parents, Adriel - the guy that hit on Paula Abdul, Alexis - the seventeen year old girl with nerves, Ryan - girl, Christina, and Kelly. The rest I thought were fairly mediocre (a ton better than I could do, but I'm not putting myself on national tv saying I can sing. Again, Justin has by far the best voice, imo, a unique look (not a cookie-cutter type of guy) and a charisma that just cannot be taught - he has my vote.
Old 06-12-02, 09:22 PM

What was Paula Abdul's obsession with Michael Jackson? More than once she made reference to liking a contestant because they sang a Michael Jackson song and then there was the guy who impersonated him. I agreed with the British judge. Just because he could impersonate Michael Jackson didn't mean he was fit to be a popstar. I hope that guy gets cut tonight.
Old 06-12-02, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought that that Tamara girl (i think her last name is Gray) was by far the best female. That girl can belt it out.
Old 06-12-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What the hell was up with that one guy who kept hogging the screen all the time.
Spoiler:
He messed up Daydream Believer??!?!? WTF Cheer up sleepy Jean, Oh what can it *Be* ...and for some reason he kept on making it to the next rounds. He even forgot the lines to the first song they all had to sing.
I think he's there just to piss everyone off. And he wasn't a good singer either

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.