TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Coulter vs. Couric: Anyone see it?

Old 06-26-02, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Coulter vs. Couric: Anyone see it?

Anne Coulter was on the Today Show promoting her new book, and got blindsided by Katie Couric. Did anyone see it? The Drudge Report just has a blurb:

"Coulter declares 'slander' in Couric 'Today Show' show match"
Old 06-26-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't see it, but I'd pay good money to see Coulter bitch-slap Couric.

Come to think of it, I'd pay good money to see anyone bitch-slap Katie O'Couric.
Old 06-26-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ann "To the right of Attilla The Hun" Coulter is the one who needs the bitch-slap. She's revolting.
Old 06-26-02, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bardevious
Come to think of it, I'd pay good money to see anyone bitch-slap Katie O'Couric.

Old 06-26-02, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bardevious

same here
Old 06-26-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The interview can be seen in its entirety at the Today Show page: www.msnbc.com/news/TODAY_Front.asp

Very prickly discussion. Couric pretty much took the nutjob apart, although, amidst the slaughter, Coulter inadvertantly made a couple of good points, one being that political views are often summarily dismissed as radical by those opposing them, without giving them thought.
Of course she blamed that practice completely on liberals (a self-defeating assertion), whereas it goes pretty equally both ways.
Old 06-26-02, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Norm de Plume
Ann "To the right of Attilla The Hun" Coulter is the one who needs the bitch-slap. She's revolting.
Couric the lefty needs the bitch slap.
Old 06-26-02, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Coulter is an attractive little demon, but sorry right-wingers, she's an embarrassment to your cause, not a credit. If you look up 'ad hominem' in the current political dictionary, you'll find her creepy little smile looking back at you.
Old 06-26-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the video link, it was pretty entertaining to watch, I would have hoped for a more physical catfight, but...
Old 06-26-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Norm de Plume
Very prickly discussion. Couric pretty much took the nutjob apart, although, amidst the slaughter, Coulter inadvertantly made a couple of good points, one being that political views are often summarily dismissed as radical by those opposing them, without giving them thought.
Of course she blamed that practice completely on liberals (a self-defeating assertion), whereas it goes pretty equally both ways.

I know it's not popular, but I actually enjoy Couric's interviews, and I think she did an excellent job here. Coulter is precisely what she claims to be championing against: a misquoting, slandering, agenda-based, loud-mouth, windbag. Buried within her speeches, there are truths, but they are lost to her absurd belief that the conservatives are the only people interested in positive change, and that liberals are just out to slander and hate conservatives. That's about as stupid as the reverse assumption. There are nutbags and idiots on both sides of the spectrum, and to place blame on one just shows how ignorant you really are.

That being the premise, I think Couric handled the interview pretty well. She's interviewing someone who has misrepresented Couric in her book and now wants to use The Today Show as a platform to sell those tales. Couric tried to set the record straight on what she believed to be misrepresentations and was prepared with lengthy quotes (to avoid loss of context as best as possible), but when the subject got too far off course, she made sure to allow Coulter ample time to present her ideas and the point of her book, which essentially is that liberals are simply out to slander conservatives. Considering the absurdity of some of her ideas and the blatant attacks she's made on The Today Show, Katie Couric, and the "liberal media" at large, Couric gave her the platform to say what she had to say while still taking time to address what she believed was misrepresentation of other people's statements.

Coulter's not out to change the world. She just wants to slander liberals under the guise that it's only a response to them slandering her first. Whatever. Both sides sling crap at each other and cannot get anything accomplished because they're so busy hating the other side, they cannot see straight. The assertion that only one side is to blame is laughable.

das
Old 06-26-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow! I haven't seen sexual tension like that since David Frost interviewed Richard Nixon.
Old 06-26-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's a lot of leg!
Old 06-26-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, I just watched the interview...

IMHO, I feel that KC was incredibly unprofessional. She basically made AC's case (about the media) more than once. Not that I agree with AC's position, but KC just made some dumb errors. And the way she wouldn't let go of the part of the book that mentions her was rather childish. I'm surprised that anyone would think she handled the interview well. Whether you agree with AC or not, this was an interview to promote a book, not a "You said this, but I said that!" playground argument. I was impressed how professional she remianed throughout.

Here's the thing; I am not a fan of AC's beliefs, however I do respect her. She has her opinion (which she is entitled to as an American) and just becuase one may not agree with it doesn't mean she isn't intelligent and well prepared to defend her position. KC seemed like a kid whose feelings were hurt and thought, "I'll get her back by bringing her on the show."
Just mho.
Old 06-26-02, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by BoatDrinks
So, I just watched the interview...

IMHO, I feel that KC was incredibly unprofessional. She basically made AC's case (about the media) more than once. Not that I agree with AC's position, but KC just made some dumb errors. And the way she wouldn't let go of the part of the book that mentions her was rather childish. I'm surprised that anyone would think she handled the interview well. Whether you agree with AC or not, this was an interview to promote a book, not a "You said this, but I said that!" playground argument. I was impressed how professional she remianed throughout.

Here's the thing; I am not a fan of AC's beliefs, however I do respect her. She has her opinion (which she is entitled to as an American) and just becuase one may not agree with it doesn't mean she isn't intelligent and well prepared to defend her position. KC seemed like a kid whose feelings were hurt and thought, "I'll get her back by bringing her on the show."
Just mho.
I guess I'm of the belief that you can't dictate why you go on a TV show. Her book takes swipes at KC and The Today Show. I don't see how any journalist can have her on the show without addressing those issues. If AC wants to promote her book her way, buy some commercial time. If she wants to do it on NBC's dime to promote a book where she attacks the "liberal media" she needs to be ready for criticism. Considering that's the case, I think both women handled it fairly well. It was not a match made in heaven, and they made the best of it. AC knew exactly what she was doing. She didn't have to book The Today Show. To not expect a dialogue on the content of the book would be very naive, and while I think she's just another loud-mouth opportunist, she's certainly not naive.

das
Old 06-26-02, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by das Monkey

I guess I'm of the belief that you can't dictate why you go on a TV show. Her book takes swipes at KC and The Today Show. I don't see how any journalist can have her on the show without addressing those issues. If AC wants to promote her book her way, buy some commercial time. If she wants to do it on NBC's dime to promote a book where she attacks the "liberal media" she needs to be ready for criticism. Considering that's the case, I think both women handled it fairly well. It was not a match made in heaven, and they made the best of it. AC knew exactly what she was doing. She didn't have to book The Today Show. To not expect a dialogue on the content of the book would be very naive, and while I think she's just another loud-mouth opportunist, she's certainly not naive.

das
I find humour in the way conservatives -- the same ones who incessantly whine about the "liberal" media -- are nevertheless always courting the same media they constantly and publicly revile, for validation.

Anne Coulter is an obnoxious, anorexic idiot. She needs to stop writing books and **** off back to her sorority house.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 06-26-02 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-26-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Jepthah
Coulter is an attractive little demon, but sorry right-wingers, she's an embarrassment to your cause, not a credit. If you look up 'ad hominem' in the current political dictionary, you'll find her creepy little smile looking back at you.

Riiiiight...
Old 06-26-02, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm thinking a celebrated boxing match on Fox would be great between these two skinny chicks.
Old 06-26-02, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
Coulter is precisely what she claims to be championing against: a misquoting, slandering, agenda-based, loud-mouth, windbag. Buried within her speeches, there are truths, but they are lost to her absurd belief that the conservatives are the only people interested in positive change, and that liberals are just out to slander and hate conservatives. That's about as stupid as the reverse assumption.
Exactly, and it's a fact that Coulter is quite clearly blind to. I think Couric was greatly restrained, given the scurrilous characterization Coulter made of her in her ironically titled "Slander". Couric was calm and composed while Re-bot Coulter spewed her vitriol with her patented googly-eyed/perturbed smirk.

The fact remains, there are issues that will always be contentious, even fundamentally unreconcilable, regardless of the good will antithetical debaters sometimes have.
Old 06-27-02, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by William Fuld
Wow! I haven't seen sexual tension like that since David Frost interviewed Richard Nixon.
Old 06-27-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity," she proposed in a syndicated column about Muslim countries.
This is something AC said. I find that to be very scary. I wonder how she feels about any other religion in this country.
Old 06-27-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by elektra

This is something AC said. I find that to be very scary. I wonder how she feels about any other religion in this country.
The scariest part is that she really believes she's right

"I've never seen anything like the transforming effect of Christianity". What does this even mean?
Old 06-27-02, 01:23 PM

I don't know anything about this Ann Coulter woman, but she looks like Ally McBeal's sister. Attractive, my ass! (Not her ass, as she doesn't appear to have one).
Old 06-27-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

huzefa - I don't know either. I don't think I want to. It sounds zombie-ish to me. Talk about someone who hurts the christianity movement.
Old 06-27-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Wag The Frog
I don't know anything about this Ann Coulter woman, but she looks like Ally McBeal's sister. Attractive, my ass! (Not her ass, as she doesn't appear to have one).
I think you're looking at Katie Couric.

Ann Coulter is a total wack job. Of course, in that sound bite media circus that people like her claim to hate, she's a natural.
Old 06-27-02, 08:11 PM

Ann Coulter also thinks women shouldn't have the right to vote.

Of course, she excludes herself from that category.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.