TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"24" - 5/14 (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-02, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yelena and she speaks fluent Serbian?

Yelena Drazen?

She had to have been a sleeper, operating independent of Jamie so as not to compromise the other if caught.
Old 05-14-02, 10:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wait though... didn't in one of the eps Jack shoot Nina because the kidnappers wanted her dead? Or was that the first set of kidnappers, and maybe they didn't know about her?

I also have to admit I was duped. I still thought it was Mason up until the time he announced Palmer was alive and the Drazens didn't know about it. Speaking of which... kudos to the writers for not having Palmer cave in to his wife's plans

Last edited by nemein; 05-14-02 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-14-02, 10:18 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merged threads.
Originally posted by mrosen
Why the subject edit? I wouldn't consider this a spoiler thread as the episode hasn't aired yet. It's a postulation on what is going to happen.
As amazing as it may sound, some people manage to completely avoid promos for this show and others.

The rule of thumb: If it hasn't happened on the show yet, don't put it in the thread title, and put it in spoilers if you put it in a thread.
Old 05-14-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
west cost people dont know the mole yet (unless they peaked under the spoiler marks.
Then they should not look at the thread then. This is not the first time a thread like this has come up, and it says so right there in the forum faq.
Old 05-14-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nemein
Wait though... didn't in one of the eps Jack shoot Nina because the kidnappers wanted her dead? Or was that the first set of kidnappers, and maybe they didn't know about her?

I was thinking of this too, and the only way I can think of it is that Drazen knew Jack cared too much for Nina to actually cause her any harm.
Old 05-15-02, 12:08 AM

No. The Drazens had nothing to do with Jack shooting Nina. That was all Gaines. He had no idea what the Drazens were doing and would not know about Nina.
Old 05-15-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
west cost people dont know the mole yet (unless they peaked under the spoiler marks.
So, so true. Speaking for the west coast contingent, I unfortunately did look at this thread. When I first did, it was a speculation thread, and I (admittedly) naively expected it to remain that way until the show had aired. At least, friggin' spoiler tags could have been added. There is a [censored]gosh darn[/censored] time difference in this country people!!! As of now, huzefa, you have entered the exclusive distinction of being among the people that unknowingly spoiled the Usual Suspects, the Others and the Sixth Sense for me.

I was so hoping that your remarks in this thread were lies. More naiveity on my part, I know. When a thread is opened before a show airs, please remember this next time... Thank you.
Old 05-15-02, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that found this episode completely predictable? I predicted everything from the firing to the coffee pot/escape to it not being Mason to Nina.

I'm wondering if we went back and watched the first 22 episodes, how much wouldn't make sense with Nina being bad. I'd guess a lot, since they hadn't even planned the storyline out past the first 13 episodes much less written anything when those episodes were made.
Old 05-15-02, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Rogue588
Spoiler:

It really wouldn't have made sense for it to be Mason. He was already presented in a negative light when we first met him. It had to be someone that Jack REALLY TRUSTED.

Disappointing.
Originally posted by Nazgul

How is that disappointing?
Sorry I didn't have time to complete that thought Nazgul. [NYPD Blue was on ] I didn't mean the revelation was disappointing. I meant the show is disappointing. [Now, mind you, i'm totally comparing it with Alias.]

It seems to me the show "jumped the shark" after Gaines was killed. The writers seem to have had only the [first] half of the season plotted out and made up the rest as they went along. [Similar to what happened with Dark Angel this season.] With Alias it seemed that JJ & the others had a beginning AND an ending for the season. This doesn't seem to be the case with 24 & i'm starting to see it.
Old 05-15-02, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rogue588

Sorry I didn't have time to complete that thought Nazgul. [NYPD Blue was on ] I didn't mean the revelation was disappointing. I meant the show is disappointing. [Now, mind you, i'm totally comparing it with Alias.]

It seems to me the show "jumped the shark" after Gaines was killed. The writers seem to have had only the [first] half of the season plotted out and made up the rest as they went along. [Similar to what happened with Dark Angel this season.] With Alias it seemed that JJ & the others had a beginning AND an ending for the season. This doesn't seem to be the case with 24 & i'm starting to see it.
There is a reason that it seems this way...because it IS this way. Remember, the original contract with Fox was for only 13 of the 24 episodes. They had it so that at the end of the 13th episode, it could be an ending with most of the ends tied up just in case they didn't get an order for the remainder of the episodes. They hadn't written, filmed, or planned any of the last 11 episodes until Fox decided to buy the last 11 episodes (Does anyone remember when that happened? I'm thinking it was around episode 8 or so, but I can't remember for sure).

Once the contract was picked up, they had to write in a hurry and introduce more plot lines, and it shows. In hindsight, it might have been better if Fox had ended it after 13 episodes. Yeah we would have all been pissed at Fox, but the show was definitely at its peak at that point. Some of the stuff they've come up with since has been bad; amnesia, Stockholm Syndrome, Palmers wife getting the speech writer to try to seduce him, etc.

Oh well. The show as a whole has still been more entertaining than almost everything else on TV and I can't wait to see how it ends. Although I have my guesses...

Only guesses are contained below. I have no inside info.

Spoiler:

I'd be shocked if Mrs. Palmer doesn't die.

There will be a scene where someone will tell Jack that Nina is bad and that he will have to choose whether or not to believe him. There will be a long overdramatic pause while he thinks about it.

Tony will be involved in the final climax and possibly get wounded.

Nina is probably going to have an overly dramatic death, possibly either at the hands of Terri, or Jack will accidentally shoot her when trying to just bring her in without being harmed.

The last line will be something cheesy along the lines of "I'm going home. Its been a really long day." Followed by a shot of Jack, Terri, and Kim walking away from the camera.

Randy will eat Jiselle's melon again. Oh wait, thats the Chasing Amy finale instead.
Old 05-15-02, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So NOW what we can surmise is that Nina was informing the Drazens on Gaine's progress the entire time... which allowed them to pull the plug on Graine's plans by the middle of the show. Jamey was KILLED by Nina... it was not a suicide which never made sense. Nina was eliminating the only lead to Gaines in case Jamey blabbed and the trail was followed back to the second tier - the Drazens. I would have to now consider that Nina's relationship with Jack was also entirely part of the plan so that she could get better access to information that Jack had available to him. The question remaining is this... WHY did Richard Walsh tell Jack he could trust Jamey? MAYBE JAMEY WASN'T THE MOLE AT ALL BUT SET UP BY NINA!!!!!!

On another note, it is nice to see that after all the abductions that Kim Bauer is finally able to escape while being chased (she hasn't had much luck in the past ).

I am actually, finally looking forward to the final episode of this show. BRING IT ON, BABY!!!!!
Old 05-15-02, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

*yawn*

This episode was more predictable and cliche than the last few, and that's saying a lot. Did I hear them wrong, or wasn't the phone meeting supposed to take place at 10:45? They keep trying to set up all these "shocking" revelations, but it's become so silly. Like I said in a previous thread, if Kim is revealed to be an alien carrying Mulder's baby, I "wouldn't see it coming," but that doesn't make it interesting. Even as Yelena, Nina's a more likeable character than Terri. That scene between Jack and Terri was particularly bad, because I thought Keifer did a great job with the acting, and I still wasn't buying it. Terri's so unlikeable in every respect that his undying love for her was very difficult to buy. Oh well ... people seem to love this kind of stuff, so more power to them. For me, it just seems silly.

das
Old 05-15-02, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gdrlv

So, so true. Speaking for the west coast contingent, I unfortunately did look at this thread. When I first did, it was a speculation thread, and I (admittedly) naively expected it to remain that way until the show had aired. At least, friggin' spoiler tags could have been added. There is a [censored]gosh darn[/censored] time difference in this country people!!! As of now, huzefa, you have entered the exclusive distinction of being among the people that unknowingly spoiled the Usual Suspects, the Others and the Sixth Sense for me.

I was so hoping that your remarks in this thread were lies. More naiveity on my part, I know. When a thread is opened before a show airs, please remember this next time... Thank you.
I hope you're kidding. I had created a new thread, with the specific title of '24 5/12 (After the show) spoilers'. I think it should have been pretty obvious not to look in there if you hadn't seen the show. Then apparently some mod decided it was better to merge the speculative thread with the spoilers thread. THis is why I don't like threads created before the show airs. If you're going to create a speculative thread, don't call it '24 5/12' or whatever, call it 'what's going to happen next week on 24?'. Also re: the usual suspects, others, sixth sense..... you just gotta stop clicking on threads about movies you haven't seen.
Old 05-15-02, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, is next week a 2hr season finale?
Old 05-15-02, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by huzefa
Wouldn't they have to call the show 25 then
Old 05-15-02, 09:08 AM

Nope.. it's 1 hour according to TV Guide.. I wonder if they'll switch back to all events happening in real-time again though?
Old 05-15-02, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by rfduncan
So NOW what we can surmise is that Nina was informing the Drazens on Gaine's progress the entire time... which allowed them to pull the plug on Graine's plans by the middle of the show. Jamey was KILLED by Nina... it was not a suicide which never made sense.
Agreed.
MAYBE JAMEY WASN'T THE MOLE AT ALL BUT SET UP BY NINA!!!!!!
No-- we saw Jamey contacting Gaines on the cell phone/PDA thing; it's clear she was conspiring for cash.

I still think some of Nina's actions around noon can't be explained, unless she did turn on the Drazens for a bit when she thought they wanted her dead.

The coffeepot escape? Incredibly trite.
Old 05-15-02, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So Nina is really named Yelena. What relation is she of the Drazen clan? Another sister/lover? That she's the mole does stretch things a lot. Not too crazy about this sloppy writing tactic.

I was sort of rolling my eyes when Palmer was laying the trap for his assistant/speechwriter (she was incredibly stupid). It just seemed like something to fill up the time before we get to the final hour. I hope Palmer drops Lady McPalmer (somehow, someway). She's poison.

Oh well, one more hour...
Old 05-15-02, 10:57 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
I was sort of rolling my eyes when Palmer was laying the trap for his assistant/speechwriter (she was incredibly stupid
I couldn't understand why he actually met the assistant in the hotel room alone. What's to stop her from claiming that they had an affair anyway? Why didn't Palmer bring a witness, like his campaign manager?

Spoiler:
The previews for next week show Nina holding Terri against a wall with a gun to her head. Another hostage situation for Jack - it figures.

Regardless of its faults, I still love this show.
Old 05-15-02, 11:14 AM
Admin Emeritus

I hope you're kidding. I had created a new thread, with the specific title of '24 5/12 (After the show) spoilers'. I think it should have been pretty obvious not to look in there if you hadn't seen the show. Then apparently some mod decided it was better to merge the speculative thread with the spoilers thread. THis is why I don't like threads created before the show airs. If you're going to create a speculative thread, don't call it '24 5/12' or whatever, call it 'what's going to happen next week on 24?'. Also re: the usual suspects, others, sixth sense..... you just gotta stop clicking on threads about movies you haven't seen.
That mod would have been me. I didn't see the need to have two threads per episode (and possibly per TV show), and I still don't think I do. Just as West Coast people are asking that East Coasters keep in mind the time difference and post everything up until the West Coast air time in spoilers, I don't see why it wouldn't be just as easy for West Coasters to keep in mind the time difference, recognize that after the East Coast air time that people are going to want to discuss the show, and just avoid the thread for the next three hours.

I think if people just followed

- "if it hasn't happened on the show yet (and this includes promos of all sorts), then put it in spoilers" and
- "after air time, spoilers are unnecessary, so be aware that things may be spoiled when you open the thread,"

things would be a lot smoother.

I'll be thinking about having "pre" and "during & post" show threads, but I don't see the need. Check out the "24" Forums at Television Without Pity... they have episode threads that consistently hit 30-40+ pages per episode, and they manage with having one thread per episode. I'm not saying that we should do things based on what other sites do... I'm just saying that if they can manage such a huge amount of posts per episode with only one thread, we can probably get by with one 1-3 page thread per episode.

Last edited by Static Cling; 05-15-02 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-15-02, 11:34 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

What is the point of spoilers, the thread title already has 'spoilers' in it.
Amen! Hate those fool tags. And, again, those who wring their hands about "24" cliches ... YO! THAT'S THE WHOLE SHOW ... fiendishly manipulative spins on the time-honored gimicks of action/spy/cliffhanger serials. Enjoy!

Last edited by G. Noel Gross; 05-15-02 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-15-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Static Cling
I think if people just followed

- "if it hasn't happened on the show yet (and this includes promos of all sorts), then put it in spoilers" and
- "after air time, spoilers are unnecessary, so be aware that things may be spoiled when you open the thread,"

things would be a lot smoother.
I agree with almost everything you've said (and applaud your efforts to enforce spoiler rules), except "happen on the show yet" is relative. I don't want to clutter the forum with "speculation" threads, and frankly I'm not at interested in them to begin with (never understood why people want to talk about what they "think" will happen two hours before a show airs), but I see that others are, and if they want to speculate about a bunch of stuff, I'd rather they have a speculation thread to run wild with all their thoughts.

To me, the discussion for a show should be in a thread with the subject Show Title - Date [- Episode Name] ([] means optional). That way, no matter what coast you're on, what wacky tape-delay/PVR method you use, you know exactly what's going to be in that thread: discussion of that episode. Anything else -- news of time changes, speculation of possible events, pics of stars riding donkeys, whatever -- needs its own thread. I think it's fine for speculation for next week to reside in a current episode thread, but 6 days later people won't want to keep reading that thread, so I can appreciate the desire for a new one.

The problem that arises from your suggestion is that West Coasters/Tape Delayers (or worse, those in "off" timezones where it depends on the individual channel as to how many hours you're off from the norm) can't always be sure when the "speculation" phase is over for a thread and when it's no longer safe to enter that thread. They also miss out on three hours of possible speculation time, which seems unfair to them.

I don't know of a perfect solution to please everyone, but from spending quite a bit of time here, I can say without exception that the largest area of focus is discussion of specific episodes immediately after they air. While we do many things in here, including support of the Funk, bobble, episode discussion is the primary focus. As such, my suggestion would be to build the thread structure around that: individual episode discussion gets its own dated thread; teasers/promos for the next episode can exist in that thread in SPOILER form (the same applies for speculation based on such teasers/promos/foreknowledge); everything else, to ensure safety for the majority, should exist in its own thread (which would include pre-episode speculation).

I am a firm believer that if you don't want to know what happens in an episode, stay the hell out of the thread. I don't care what coast you're on or what wacky lifestyle you have (I PVR and delay everything myself), the responsibility is on you to avoid properly labelled threads. However, if dated threads also include speculation discussions before the shows air, it becomes difficult for non-East Coasters to know exactly when to stop reading the thread. Maybe I'm being oversensitive. Frankly, it doesn't concern me at all since I live on the East Coast and couldn't give a rat's ass about speculation threads, but since I fought so hard for teasers to get tagged, I figure I'll lend my support to those crazy Left-Coasters.

das
Old 05-15-02, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

when did jack and teri get it on. jack did not seemed surprised that she was pregnent even though we all know that she got pregnent from the rape early on, not from jack.
Old 05-15-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

HAHAHAHAH
Old 05-15-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

when did jack and teri get it on. jack did not seemed surprised that she was pregnent even though we all know that she got pregnent from the rape early on, not from jack.
Err are you serious? You do realize that the show is called 24 because its happening over a course of 24 hours for the characters?

Jack and Terri didn't have sex during the last 23 hours, but that is irrelevant. Eggs often aren't even fertilized in the first 23 hours after sex. Even if the egg is fertilized, you wouldn't pass a pregnancy test right away. The pregnancy happened long before the series started, not from the rape.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.