TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Er 5/9/02

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Er 5/9/02

"I don't want to go home, it's beautiful here."

Ever watch a show where your eyes stayed welled up with tears? Tonight's episode of ER did that to me as we get to see the last days of Mark Greene in Hawaii, the place of his youth where he stayed the longest (3 years). He takes his daughter Rachel with him.

Mark does his best to impart a bit of his family's history, who he was as a youth, how he resented his father's Navy career and outlook/politics on life. He teaches Rachel how to surf and even drive a stick shift. He confronts Rachel on her self-destructiveness in sneaking the intake of drugs, knowing his time is so very short. Trying to compress a lifetime of lessons on your teenage knowing you have but a handful of days is daunting, but Mark did his best. Mark recounts the early days of Rachel to Rachel who doesn't want to (or can't) remember those days. Mark recalls how Rachel would always let go of the helium filled balloons that Mark would bring her (much to the consternation of her mother).

Corday shows up after Mark collapses from a major seizure in Hawaii, she knows that Mark will die in Hawaii, and makes his last days as peaceful as possible. Mark asks her to write letters to his daughters for him since he can't write well enough anymore. She even manages to get through to Rachel, as Rachel finally goes to Mark and tells him that she remembers him singing "Over The Rainbow" to her as a child. Mark's last words to Rachel were "Be generous". Mark passes away, listening to Rachel's CD player playing an updated version of "Over The Rainbow".

The service was in Hawaii, with the rest of the ER crew showing up, even Benton and Cleo ( but no Clooney or Marguilies).

On the way back from the service, Rachel tells the limo driver to stop, she gets out, runs toward some balloons tied to a realty sign, un-ties one and releases it, a fitting metaphor for Mark Greene's spirit on his way to another place in the sky.

It was a nice fitting farewell to Mark Greene.
Old 05-09-02, 10:28 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was incredibly sad. It was an extreme struggle to hold back the tears during the last 15 minutes.

I don't know if I want to watch ER anymore after that episode.
Old 05-09-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That was the saddest thing I've seen in a while. I know the characters are fiction, but it was still very moving.
First the "breakfast club" episode, now this. This is shapping up to be one of ER's finest seasons.
Old 05-09-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

* Surprised that Clooney didn't show
* Thought they might show him writing the letter to the rest of the ER cast

I liked the episode...it was sad, but a pretty good ending. Kinda bummed that Rachel isn't staying in Chicago, but oh well.

I'm kinda excited for next week's episode mainly because they won't drag out his death anymore, but I'm also psyched for them to continue Carter's rise to the top.
Old 05-09-02, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I forgot that Greene got to say "$#!+" on "normal" broadcast TV. It has more impact that "Dammit" because at that stage in his illness, one syllable words are easier for him to yell.

Next week:
Spoiler:
Smallpox outbreak in the ER!

Last edited by Static Cling; 05-11-02 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-09-02, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oops.... somehow I ended up watching Episode 1 on Fox. I turned it on during the second Friends, then back to it during the second W&G and forgot to turn back! Damn... now I have to wait till reruns! Arghhhh
Old 05-10-02, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts
Yep, very sad episode.

I was surprised to hear Dr. Greene yell "s**t!" but I guess that's a word that the censors have been more lenient with in the last few years.

It was nice to see that Mark got to die in a truly beautiful place surrounded by his family...not a bad way to go if you ask me.

I was beginning to think they weren't going to have a funeral scene but luckily they pulled one out at the very end. It would have been nice to see Dr. Ross and Nurse Hathaway but I guess they were to busy living it up in Seattle.

So long Dr. Greene, the ER won't be the same without you

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 05-10-02 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-10-02, 12:12 AM

Very well done. I had problems holding back the tears in the last 15 minutes as well. I thought it was great he got to say **** on TV. It was appropriate for the mood/condition he was in. The ballon was a nice touch at the end. I too was surpised not to see Clooney or Julianna their. I thought they might of shown u. Oh well. It was a nice way to go.
Old 05-10-02, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ugh, It's been a while since I've teared up so much. I was doing fine until they started playing, "Somewhere over the rainbow." Very sad yet peaceful. Incredible writing, incredible acting.

Last edited by MonkeyG; 05-10-02 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-10-02, 01:32 AM

I didn't even try to hold back my tears. I was at a friend's house and she cried. I cried. We had Kleenex. It was a thing.

I did want to say that I noticed John Wells wrote and directed this episode and that meant a lot to me. That he would care enough about this character that he helped create to take over writing his departure to the great beyond.

When Rachel (a character I normally don't like) released the balloon, I just let it all go. I feel better now. It was a cathartic cry and a goodbye to a great television character.
Old 05-10-02, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 05-10-02, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
S*** was interesting, but NYPD Blue has been saying a**h*** for years

I think he did a great job of acting, especially the way he couldn't use his right side

Last edited by mikehunt; 05-10-02 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-10-02, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts
This episode was just aces. Beautiful. Except for one small kvetch...

The part that got me the most came early in the show, when Mark was telling Rachel about growing up, trying to be the best father he could in the short amount of time he knew he had left.

I was a bit troubled by the portrayal of Rachel. Her petulence seemed somewhat forced to introduce conflict where it wasn't really needed. A fault of the script rather than the actors. She knew her father was dying, and she wouldn't have pulled that crap. I was that age once, and you are capable of turning off the attitude when you have to. It did make for a nice moment at the end, when she told him she remembered the lullaby, though. It would've been better had the "attitude" not been so forced.
Old 05-10-02, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
they even got the guy that played Anspot or however it's spelled, and Michael Ironsides
Old 05-10-02, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by mikehunt
they even got the guy that played Anspot or however it's spelled, and Michael Ironsides
It's Anspaugh Too bad they couldn't get William H. Macy. His character and Greene always had a bond. Ah well. It was very nice to see the old faces and some not-so-old faces (Eriq LaSalle).
Old 05-10-02, 08:00 AM

I told my wife all week long that I was not going to watch this episode (though we've watched ER from the beginning). I hate shmaltzy, emotionally manipulative TV and the (relentless) promotion sure made it seem like that's what was coming.

But of course I did watch it. I think they can just go ahead and put Anthony Edwards' name on the Emmy right now. I was probably more affected than many, due to quite a few parallels to my own life (including having lived in Hawaii for several years when I was younger and currently having a 13 year old daughter) but even trying to be objective I think it was beautifully written and acted. I've gotten a little weepy at TV shows on a few occasions in the past but no show has ever made me bawl like I did last night. The song started me going and the balloon finished me. Wow.

Nice job, Patman, on the quote that starts this thread. That's the one that keeps echoing in my head.
Old 05-10-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
This episode was just aces. Beautiful. Except for one small kvetch...

The part that got me the most came early in the show, when Mark was telling Rachel about growing up, trying to be the best father he could in the short amount of time he knew he had left.

I was a bit troubled by the portrayal of Rachel. Her petulence seemed somewhat forced to introduce conflict where it wasn't really needed. A fault of the script rather than the actors. She knew her father was dying, and she wouldn't have pulled that crap. I was that age once, and you are capable of turning off the attitude when you have to. It did make for a nice moment at the end, when she told him she remembered the lullaby, though. It would've been better had the "attitude" not been so forced.
I thought the portrayal of Rachel was very true to her character. I think she was angry that her father was dying and to make her turn into this sweet, accepting child would have been wrong. Many people keep this type of attitude when someone they love is dying and end up not getting to make things right before the other person is gone, which is exactly why Elizabeth went and talked to her.
Old 05-10-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I cried. I'm such a wuss

Anyone know the arangement of Somewhere Over the Rainbow that Rachel recorded for Mark? I have to get it so I can be a wuss all the time. Thanks.
Old 05-10-02, 11:59 AM
Cool New Member

The arrangement by Rachel for Mark was a cover by the Hawaiian Artist IZ. It's available on this CD at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...052526-9867902]
Old 05-10-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by davivi23
The arrangement by Rachel for Mark was a cover by the Hawaiian Artist IZ. It's available on this CD at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...052526-9867902]
Israel Kamakawiwoole, aka IZ, was a big man with an incredible voice. The man was a cultural icon in Hawaii. When he died in 97? 98? The state lowered all it's flags to half-staff. "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is on the album "Facing Future"
Old 05-10-02, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by kvrdave
I cried. I'm such a wuss

Anyone know the arangement of Somewhere Over the Rainbow that Rachel recorded for Mark? I have to get it so I can be a wuss all the time. Thanks.
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole is the artist you want. He is, probably uncoincidentally, Hawaiian. This song has been in a ton of stuff recently but nothing as poignant as that episode of ER last night.
Old 05-10-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was also hoping that Doug and Carol would show up at the funeral. One of their twins was given Mark's mother's middle name. Very sad episode, or as the voice over described it "an episode of ER for you to cherish".

I guess I missed him yelling, "****!". When did that happen?

Honk!
Old 05-10-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks. I just listed to a bit at Amazon and almost started to cry, so you guys are stupid

I picked it up on half.com

Tough one to find elsewhere.

Last edited by kvrdave; 05-10-02 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-10-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I almost cried as well. It was the best episode of the season IMO. At first i wasn't going to watch it because i felt the death of Dr. Greene had been drawn out too long. But now i'm glad i did.
Old 05-10-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Charlie Goose

I guess I missed him yelling, "****!". When did that happen?
he was getting up in the morning or from a nap and he was trying to get out of the bed by himself. he ended up falling on the ground and he hit his hand on the ground and yelled it. i was suprised but i was glad they said it because anyone would've cussed at that point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.