TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

24 2/23

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
24 2/23

good show.

the whole palmer cheating story line seem inappropriate. they finally made kim not act like a loser but she's still annoying.

i guess most tv watchers want action every episode so the writers give it to them, it just seem implausible that much crap would happen. Jack should be dead by now, no sleep, hardly any food, emotional trauma, and now he gets beaten almost to death.
Old 04-23-02, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 24 2/23

Originally posted by Venusian
good show.

the whole palmer cheating story line seem inappropriate.
i totally agree. i can put up with the whole teri amnesia thing but the whole subplot of palmer and his speechwriter really seemed dumb and predictable to me. hopefully that will be the last we see of it.

i was kinda shocked that they offed lou diamond phillips, but he did ok with what they gave him, i guess.

i can't wait for the final three episodes. the promo was cut together really well to highten the tension form what looks to be a race to the finish.
Old 04-23-02, 09:38 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gotta disagree as I basically hated this episode.

The whole KIm jailhouse incident was so cliche and unrealistic. Bad girl certainly backed down quickly and did the "right thing" because Kimmy stood up to her and for her. Please !!!

Lou Diamond Phillips getting killed was very predictable; expecially since it was well publicized he would only appear in two episodes.

I saw Jack coming up with the "Your Brother Is Still Alive" to save his own neck thing a mile away.

The ending with Kim getting recaptured was just too much for me to buy. They plan to kill her so why take her captive? It would have been so much better if the cop driving the car turned around and killed Kim right then and there.

The Palmer/Speech writer infatuation was obvious the second he walked into the room. Guess the Show's Writers have run out of original storyline.

I was waiting for Teri to go into temporary amnesia mode again when Nina told her Jack had been captured.

Dennis Hopper's accent was pretty lame as well.

Overall I give this episode a C-

I'm still looking forward to the finale.
Old 04-23-02, 10:27 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by AJW
The ending with Kim getting recaptured was just too much for me to buy. They plan to kill her so why take her captive? It would have been so much better if the cop driving the car turned around and killed Kim right then and there.
I'm wondering if this is supposed to make us start wondering if there is another mole within CTU. Was it Nina that told Teri that they had found Kim? Who else knows that Kim was on the way to CTU? Or could there be a mole in the police department? The second option isn't as interesting, though, since we don't really know anyone in the PD.
Old 04-23-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well i was wondering what was going on because nina told teri that kim was on her way back buy it took about 10 more minutes for us to see the cop going to let kim out of holding. i wonder if it was just filler for getting thru the red tape or something else??? if there is not another mole, then maybe CTU could be bugged?
Old 04-23-02, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by AJW

ahh But wait.......................
Spoiler:
Its never really made clear who kidnaps Kim. For one they were wearing ski masks. And I would think that Drazen would want all of his forces concentrating on breaking his father out especially after the original plan went sour.
Old 04-23-02, 11:12 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those who missed it during the spoiler, there is no new episode of 24 next week. Fox is running a That 70's Show special instead.

Alias is also taking a week off :-(
Old 04-23-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i skipped out on the teaser, but i remember something about 70s show 100th episode...thats 2 hours long??
Old 04-23-02, 11:50 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Thrush

ahh But wait.......................
Spoiler:
Its never really made clear who kidnaps Kim. For one they were wearing ski masks. And I would think that Drazen would want all of his forces concentrating on breaking his father out especially after the original plan went sour.

Spoiler:
If I remember correctly, Jack was thrown into a red van/truck by Drazen at the end of this episode. A red van/truck hit the police car and kidnapped Kim. Drazen also told Jack his family would be joining him soon (when he was about to shoot him) so Jack's family is still part of his plan.

If it's not the same people, then that's a heck of a coincidence. I hope the writers surprise me.
Old 04-24-02, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I love how unrealistic TV can be and it's still fun to watch. That whole ending w/ Kim was funny as hell. I didn't see it coming, but how could they not throw in one last twist?
Old 04-24-02, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Spoiler:
for a second there i thought that the van that crashed into the police car was going to be the one that jack was being transported in. i thought it was a decent episode before that scene. ANOTHER kidnapping?!? oh well. and what was up with that horrible accent? was that victor drazen or count chocula?
Old 04-24-02, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
I thought it was an okay episode. Nowhere near as good as the previous hour. As long as they have abandoned the amnesia subplot (and as a doctor, let me assure you that movie-style amnesia is medically impossible), I'll be happy.
Poor Lou Diamond Phillips, shot down in a blaze of glory!

and yes, that is supposed to be a Young Guns II reference.
Old 04-24-02, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

HUGE POTENTIAL SPOILER

Spoiler:
Did anyone else see the preview for the next episode? Jack is holding a gun to a girl's head. 20 bucks says it's Victor Drazen's daughter.
Old 04-24-02, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by AJW
Because that is no fun in American TV Land! You have to have some sort of corny James Bond-ish scenario where Drazen will leave Jack and Kim along together tied up to some table while a laser beam comes up to cut them in half so they can somehow escape.

Originally posted by AJW
The Palmer/Speech writer infatuation was obvious the second he walked into the room. Guess the Show's Writers have run out of original storyline.
YIKES! Could anyone NOT see this a mile away - the only other black woman Palmer's been alone in a room with the whole show (and could her hair be any MORE Lewinski?). I thought it was funny how his line was written "I may not get up off this couch" - I took it to mean he'd pass out from exhaustion since he's been up almost as long as Jack.

Originally posted by AJW
I was waiting for Teri to go into temporary amnesia mode again when Nina told her Jack had been captured.
LOL! EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING! I was like "Is she going to be in amnesia-land for the next three hours again seeing as the last bout was so viewer-popular?"

Originally posted by AJW
Dennis Hopper's accent was pretty lame as well.
My GOD was it painful!

The entire re-capture Kim and Teri (she's gotta be next) is through the continuing drive that Victor wants equal revenge for Jack's mission (an eye for an eye). There is obviously still a mole of sorts at CTU - but who is it? All hints seem to point to Nina - but that is almost too obvious. Mason sees possible and after last night's SUPER delay trying to contact Chappelle, he seems to be more likely (he's like "Pull out - back away - pretend it never happened"). CTU would never have known Victor Drazen was alive to escape had Jack not gotten that far, and Chappelle has certainly been throwing up enough roadblocks to hinder him the whole way (plus Chappelle would have enough clout to help them find Jamie to be the mole AND install all the initial bugging devices that the first group used with CTU). The only question is - if the Drazen's have an in at CTU - why didn't they know Alexander was in custody?
Old 04-24-02, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
We all seem to agree on this episode. It was good, but...

1) The Palmer/speechwriter cliche was inappropriate--I don't buy it. Not on the same DAY as everything else.

2) Kim's kidnapping made me go "Geez! Again?!?!"

3) I agree with Monkeyboy: Dennis Hopper's accent was indeed too much like Count Chocula.

That said, this is is still the best series on television. But, man, they've used so much material, I don't EVER see how this could be made into a second season without repeating half the stuff.

P.S. Jack's wife is a total wreck. It's understandable, but honestly, with the tragedy she's suffered, I don't know how she'd hold up staying with her husband if he keeps his job at CTU. And anyone else notice her side isn't hurting anymore???
Old 04-24-02, 08:49 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
This episode was disappointing. Predictable and cliche. A major implausability with this episode, IMO, involved:

When the CTU SWAT team entered the underground holding facility and found that the sewer tunnel was wire bombed, why would they spend a half hour trying to disable it? Surely it empties out in the surroundings somewhere, as we see shortly thereafter. Also, if CTU has a map of all the hallways in the holding facility, couldn't there also be a map of the sewer tunnel? The helicopter could at least roam the surrounding area and look for a van mysteriously parked in the middle of nowhere!

Last edited by Geofferson; 04-24-02 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-24-02, 08:49 AM

While I agree with everyone else on much (Hopper's terrible accent, Kim getting kidnapped *again*) I'm fine with the Palmer/speechwriter cliche. He's tired, he just had a huge fight with his wife, he feels good about winning but can't unwind, etc. The cliche is that Palmer turns it all down.

I wasn't too keen on this episode, but it gave me one thing, and that's MORE MASON! Damn I love Xander Berkeley. I can't see him as a mole; he's just a smart but not-smart-enough bureaucrat.

Ever since the Gaines stuff wound down (actually, since the first assassination attempt at the power station) I've been a bit underwhelmed by the show. I still enjoy it, but now it's "good" whereas in the beginning it was off the charts. I don't think this is rosy remembrance, either. It's just disappointing that this whole thing is just about revenge-- boring. Then again, Fox is promising "3 hours you won't believe" so I'll keep tuning in.

Geofferson: agreed! And no need for spoiler tags on that.
Old 04-24-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's my question:

Obviously the DoD knew Victor Drazen was alive and had been taken prisoner. Why didn't Senator Palmer know this type of information? Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Yeah, Dennis Hopper's accent made me cringe upon every utterance from him.

I didn't think last night's episode was all that bad, I've sort of expected the crazy plot contrivances to be played up heavily to fill in a story that didn't need 24 hours to be told.

"Bring it on"

How far away is the prison holding cell from CTU or the police precinct? I can't believe it's Drazen people that took Kim at the end.

I found the Mason all pissed at Nina for hooking up with Jack and now Tony to have come out of the blue. Creating this "Mason being in lurve with Nina" subtext at the 20th hour is rather poor writing.

I did enjoy Mason squirming when he was dealing with Terri's concerns and calls Debbie to keep Terri out of his way.

Chappel is probably still pissed at Jack for getting Palmer to reinstate him, so letting Jack to be hung out to dry isn't too worrisome for him.

Will Jack's superior (the one who was killed early on) return from the grave in the next 3 episode?

Who is the mole in CTU? Mason is too obvious; Nina would be a painful choice to make her the mole, but she's a scorned woman, so it's possible; Tony's rescue of Terri just about eliminates him from being the mole; Chappel does have an axe to grind, but don't know if he'd be on the day-to-day ops for this particular day unless the events unfolded in such a manner as it has.
Old 04-24-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Weak.

Like I said last week, Hopper's "accent"? Um ... ok ...

Terri: I need to talk to Jack.
CTU: Jack's on a dangerous mission.
Terri: No, you don't understand. I need to talk to Jack. Now.
CTU: Um ... he's in the middle of a dangerous mission.
Terri: No, but see ... you don't understand. Even though I've been married to Jack for years and know full well the nature of his job, the fact that I'm a selfish and irritating (not to mention ugly) bitch, who should have been left for someone better like Nina, prevents me from acting in any manner that resembles reasonable. Look at my daughter, for God's sake! Now, I need to talk to Jack before the audience wants me to get killed.
CTU: Too bad, Terri ... the audience wanted you dead by hour 4.

And the ending? They've had some contrived developments on this show, but this rivals the amnesia story in the lame department.

I still enjoy watching it, but the writers have been phoning it in since the show was renewed around mid-season. I wouldn't put it past them to make Jack the mole by the 24th hour. We're at the point where the only characters I care about are Palmer, Jack, Nina, and Tony. And the writers will probably find some lame excuse to make one of them a mole ... or even an assassin ... or maybe Nina is Drazen's daughter ... or wife ... or a disguised clone. Mason's really not that bad either, but I wouldn't be upset if he took one for the team. Everyone else could be brutally murdered in the next 4 hours, and I wouldn't care. Not a good scenario when the audience tunes in hoping Terri will take a double-tap to the chest and forehead.

das
Old 04-24-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

well jack implied his whole mission was a scam cuz it was just to make the world think that drezan was dead so maybe palmer was duped too.

chappel can be the mole. anyoen else would have to explain their action. For example, why wouldn't nina say something when jack was about to shoot her if she was really the mole? bascially everyone has done something to prove they arent the mole
Old 04-24-02, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey guys, what exactly does "DoD" stand for in the show, and what is it in relation to CTU and the characters?
Old 04-24-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by PacMan2006
Hey guys, what exactly does "DoD" stand for in the show, and what is it in relation to CTU and the characters?
Department of Defense. It's the US Government department that oversees the operations of CTU.

das
Old 04-24-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by PacMan2006
DoD = Department of Defense

CTU = Counter Terrorist(ism) Unit

Since CTU is fictional, the relationship is kind of unclear (becuase of the hoops of "permission" and "authorization" that are vaguely mentioned throughout the storyline) - although some mention of terminating the CTU program is made in the beginning of the series as one of the intial threats Jack faces (keeping the kidnapping and assination plot a secret) it is also unclear who would end the program.

Perhaps CTU is really a hidden arm of Governor Tom Ridge's Office of Homeland Security. How'd THAT be for a season ender?

Last edited by rfduncan; 04-24-02 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-24-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by rfduncan
Perhaps CTU is really a hidden arm of Governor Tom Ridge's Office of Homeland Security. How'd THAT be for a season ender?
Everyone, we are now at Off-White Alert status.

das
Old 04-24-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When I think of Dennis Hopper in this show, I think back to the movie Speed where Keanu played the Jack character. "What do you do, Jack?"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.