TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Futurama 4/21

Old 04-21-02, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Futurama 4/21

OK, everyone has pretty much said my feelings in the Simpsons 4/21 thread, so I wanted to start one for Futurama.

So, what did everyone think of this week's episode.
I personally liked it, although not as good as some of the previous episodes this season.

I loved the setup however, Star Trek style plot, about Star Trek, making fun of Star Trek. Leela making out with Shatner = classic.

Also, there was some sadness with this episode. According to my Guide Plus, it was the season finale. If true, that makes what, 12 episodes, if that, this season? AND, this epsidoe did not look or feel like it was recently written. Almost as if it was one of those episodes Fox claims to have left over from other seasons.
Old 04-21-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Was this a new ep? I watch the show very sporadically for a number of reasons but tonight's show had me LMAO. I couldn't believe they got the balance of TOS regs to contribute voices. It was a hoot and there were lots of great semi-inside jokes. I wonder what Doohan was doing? I still liked "Welshy" though.
Old 04-21-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was great...

Nimoy's comment about the cardboard sets, melllvar living with his parents, the self-destruct code being so simple, and Shatner's "Let's get the hell out of here" comment. I love star trek, so I thought it was great.

I am sad that this is probably the end. Futurama is a great show, I'm really going to miss seeing it every week (and Fox has lost any chance it ever had at getting me to watch KotH, now I won't be turning the tv on until 8:00).
Old 04-21-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it was funny, did you catch waht the guy's tshirt said as he was jumping into the volcano?
Old 04-21-02, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else catch that quote that went something like "Another sci-fi show canceled before its time"... sly little shot at FOX, perhaps?
Old 04-22-02, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Anyone else catch that quote that went something like "Another sci-fi show canceled before its time"... sly little shot at FOX, perhaps?
That's what my wife and I were thinking. It seemed too perfectly placed.

I loved Welshy as well. He's nobody, dies early, and repeatedly. Poor guy.

Having young Shatner was a hoot as well. (or was that because of Melllvar's youth he gave them?)
Old 04-22-02, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This was a great episode, very very funny. The fights were funny as hell esp. Bender vs. Nimoy.

Hopefully (fingers crossed) there will be more of this show in the future.

Outer, i think it was a fairly recent one since when Melllvar hoisted up the convention sign it said " Trekfest 3002" or something like that.

Welshy had a red shirt and died.

Shatner had a ripped shirt.

Sadly, it was missing a "Dammit, Jim"

I'm glad i "get" the things about Star Trek (im not a ST fan myself), had i not known them the show wouldnt have been very as funny.
Old 04-22-02, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I laughed my arse off on this one. Great episode. Was even better then the simpsons. I got most of the jokes. Nice that they are appealling to both trekkies and Star Wars fans (with last week's 30% iron chef and this weeks episode) (never did get why there was a line between the two? or people made it an issue) but I loved it. great stuff

As for those of you who are worried about FUTURAMA's future. Worry not. Fox didn't renew it for next season simply because they have enough episodes to cover there hides till 2004. so renewel isn't an issue intill next summer at the very least. they only have 12 episodes per season because of the sports line up screwing up with the time zone. So they can afford to do this. so futurama is still going to be around, and I'm sure fox will renew when its up for renewel.

futurama is one show that keeps fox on the map still.
Old 04-22-02, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Great stuff. There were so many great Star Trek jokes with little winks to the fans of both shows and in-jokes within in-jokes. It was a non-stop romp. Great show.

das
Old 04-22-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by UAIOE
This was a great episode, very very funny. The fights were funny as hell esp. Bender vs. Nimoy.

Yeah, probably because DeForest has passed on -- I noticed Bones was "in" the episode but I don't think he had a single line, they probably felt it would be a bit disrespectful to have someone else dub his lines.
Old 04-22-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I don't watch Futurama anymore but I flipped by it and watched it. That was a hystercial episode. Great satire.
Old 04-22-02, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I bet you they asked Paramount for the usage of Deforest's voice and they said no. That or they asked for a ton of money.

So, where was Doohan?
Old 04-22-02, 10:46 AM

Not a big Star Trek fan, but I got some of the jokes. I liked that the "Star Trek Police" had lightsabers.

Also, the Star Trek Wars and the Star Wars Trek.

Oh, and you can't forget Shatner's song, that was hilarous.
Old 04-22-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by BabiG
Not a big Star Trek fan, but I got some of the jokes. I liked that the "Star Trek Police" had lightsabers.
thats actually the regular police from Futurama, one of the first few episodes had them walk in, "turn on" the light saber, and then start clubbing people over the head with em...with hilarious consequences
Old 04-22-02, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Eric F
I bet you they asked Paramount for the usage of Deforest's voice and they said no. That or they asked for a ton of money.

So, where was Doohan?
Um, Doohan's not well physically. Have you seen him tottering around the convention circuit lately? If I were to bet in a Star Trek "dead pool," Doohan's the next one to kick it.
Old 04-22-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by grunter
Um, Doohan's not well physically. Have you seen him tottering around the convention circuit lately? If I were to bet in a Star Trek "dead pool," Doohan's the next one to kick it.
Um, Doohan died like 3 years ago. That lifeless corpse they push around to conventions is like Sharon pimping Ozzy to the fans. I've seen Jimmy numerous times over the past few decades, and it's heartbreaking to see him in his current state. He's always lived for the fans and given everything he could to the convention circuit, but this is just too much. Luckily, his convention in late May is "supposedly" his final appearance ever. How he was able to father a child a few years back is beyond me (and likely beyond known medical science).

In all seriousness, it's gutwrenching to see him now, and I'll never forget how moving it was when he appeared at the 35th Anniversary Celebration. People had paid thousands of dollars to be at the greatest convention ever held, and when it came time for Jimmy to sign autographs, people got out of line by the hundreds, so he wouldn't have to sign very many. Doohan would have signed all day and all night, because that's the kind of guy he is. But no one asked him to do so. Despite what people say looking in from the outside, a real Star Trek convention is unlike anything you could imagine unless you've been to one. And seeing the love he wanted to share with the fans yet was physically unable to, and the respect the fans showed him in return was a very painful and beautiful experience.

I don't know how he's still alive today and don't expect him to be with us much longer.

das
Old 04-22-02, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by UAIOE
However, they did manage to throw in some "Bones" humor - when the virgins ( ) from the Trek religion were being thrown into the volcano, the guards said to each one "He's dead, Jim." Man, I had to rewind that one a couple of times!

Last edited by Professor Frink; 04-22-02 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-22-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone else notice at the beginning in the Fox thing where they mention the show that it was the finale? Was this the season or series finale?

Also, it wasn't bad, but not the best, but then again, I hated star trek
Old 04-22-02, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Feneant
Anyone else notice at the beginning in the Fox thing where they mention the show that it was the finale? Was this the season or series finale?
read the second paragraph of Jack's post
It's the season finale.
Old 04-22-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
So, since this season was only 12 episodes (even though they made much more) when they release the seasons on dvd - Will the release for this set be only these 12 episodes or will they release them in production order?
Old 04-22-02, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I laughed my arse off on this one. Great episode. Was even better then the simpsons. I got most of the jokes. Nice that they are appealling to both trekkies and Star Wars fans (with last week's 30% iron chef and this weeks episode) (never did get why there was a line between the two? or people made it an issue) but I loved it. great stuff

As for those of you who are worried about FUTURAMA's future. Worry not. Fox didn't renew it for next season simply because they have enough episodes to cover there hides till 2004. so renewel isn't an issue intill next summer at the very least. they only have 12 episodes per season because of the sports line up screwing up with the time zone. So they can afford to do this. so futurama is still going to be around, and I'm sure fox will renew when its up for renewel.

futurama is one show that keeps fox on the map still.
OK, I can not stay quiet here. I have been following the Futurama/FOX issue and the lack of renewal is VERY bad.

First off, the fact that they have so many "extra episodes" shows their lack of commitment to the series. Crappy timeslot, always preempted, lack of advertising, etc., etc.

Second, if you read the various online sources, the writers for Futurama, the ones who have made the show what it is, are out of jobs without a renewal. They have to move on, as they can not sit around and wait for Fox. They need money, they need to eat.

SO, where's that leave the show? Let's say its picked up next year, after Fox starts using up its extra episdoes.
But, where are the writers?
OH... new jobs. So, they can not come back.
Let's hire us some new guys then, keep it cheap though, would not want to waste too much of our precious money.

So, sure, the show may be back after next year. But, it is highly unlikely it will be back with the same strength as before, as quality writers are vital to its success... Simpsons?

I LOVE Futurama. I want it to remain good for at least another few years, but it seems Fox does not feel that way.
Old 04-22-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jimmy Doohan has been in and out of hospitals recently and has cancelled many convention appearances. I think it was even announced that he would no longer do them.

Matt
Old 04-22-02, 09:54 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I was just curious, I've never been to a convention even though I am a fan. I guess I'll have to go to one now.

I did just borrow the Trekkies DVD from the library. There was a scene with James Doohan talking about how he helped some girl who was reaching out to him through a serious depression. It was touching, probably the best moment of the film. It was nice to see some of the cast members genuinely greatfull for having the opportunity to reach so many people through the show.
Old 04-22-02, 10:51 PM
Needs to provide a working email

One of the best episodes ever.
Old 04-23-02, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by MvRojo
Jimmy Doohan has been in and out of hospitals recently and has cancelled many convention appearances. I think it was even announced that he would no longer do them.

Matt
He'll be appearing at one final convention.

das

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.