Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Turner Classic Movies question about editing

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-02, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Turner Classic Movies question about editing

How edited are films like Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid and Foul Play on TCM. I figure the old films are uncut, but I was just wondering how they handle the films from the late 70's and on that might have a swear word hear or there. Even the PG films sometimes have minor swearing. I was thinking about taping the letterbox version of Dead Men when it's shown, but if there is a lot of editing I won't bother.

Last edited by darkside; 04-14-02 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-14-02, 06:11 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know, and this not be of any help, but I've noticed mild things that were cut or "muted" on other Turner stations are left intact on TCM. (Like Jaws, Poltergeist, Back to the Future). My guess is it's on a case by case process.
Old 04-14-02, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all movies on tcm are uncut
heard the "s" word on jaws and bttf
somebody told me on another forum that blue lagoon has all of the bad stuff in it
Old 04-15-02, 07:24 PM

Last night The Bad News Bears were on and every word was left in. Sh*t and B.S, and the racial "slurs" were all left alone, and they're used quite often. Looks like Rypro 525 is right.
Old 04-15-02, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. Looks like I will have to pick up some Super VHS tapes, because there is a lot of stuff I like on this station.
Old 04-16-02, 01:02 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the record, TCM is great - uncut and classy. AMC on the other hand does edit and I think they even have commercial breaks now.
Old 04-16-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
TCM changed its policy about a year or so ago. I've recently seen uncut broadcasts of "American Graffiti" and "Ed Wood" on TCM.
Old 04-16-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

TCM changed its policy about a year or so ago. I've recently seen uncut broadcasts of "American Graffiti" and "Ed Wood" on TCM.
What was the original policy
Old 04-16-02, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by MrN
For the record, TCM is great - uncut and classy. AMC on the other hand does edit and I think they even have commercial breaks now.
As much as I hate Turner and anything he's associated with, I've got to give him credit on TCM. Along with the uncut, letterbox format-TCM doesn't seem to use the word "classic" as loosely as AMC.
Old 04-16-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

AMC has these as "classics" [list=1][*]Desperatly Seeking Susan a maddona movie[*]Death Hunt[*]Barbrosa[*]Dreamscape[/list=1]
Well then again, tcm will show the first austin powers movie, very funny imo, but many people hate this movie
Old 04-16-02, 05:36 PM
MrN

Originally posted by Damfino

I've been watching TCM for about 3 years now and the movies have always been uncut - can anyone else verify this?
Old 04-17-02, 05:40 AM

I know TCM claims to show uncut films, but keep an eye out the next time they show Midnight Cowboy, and it will be pretty obvious that they do, in fact, show toned-down versions of some films.

I don't know too much about the history of Midnight Cowboy, perhaps this is in fact the director's preferred version, but they blurred out some nudity, did a pretty bad job of replacing some swear words, and abruptly cut out of some scenes which were getting racy.

My hunch is that they censor films on a case by case basis, and since Midnight Cowboy was at one point an X rated film, I guess this was one they had to use a tamer version of.

I was pretty disappointed.
- Mike
Old 04-17-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally posted by MrN

I've been watching TCM for about 3 years now and the movies have always been uncut - can anyone else verify this?
I think the policy had been inconsistent up until recently. I can remember seeing profanity in subtitles of foreign films while English movies were still had muffled or substituted words.

Mike is correct about "Midnight Cowboy", but I don't think they've shown that movie for over a year, so it will be interesting to see how they treat it next time.
Old 04-17-02, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Last night they showed 'The In-Laws' with all the "sh*t"s in tact. It was on at 2AM and I think that has a lot to do with the cut/uncut nature; past certian hours I think there is a lot of leeway. In know they can get away with language and some gore, but nudity is always a no-no. When they show stuff like 'The Hospital', 'Network', and 'Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia' the nudity is always "zoomed".
Old 04-17-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

, but nudity is always a no-no
Well not exactly, there are quick flashes of nudity in the graduite. also some in Papion, and the blue lagoon.
Old 04-21-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by MrN
.................AMC on the other hand does edit and I think they even have commercial breaks now.
Sad but true
Old 05-04-02, 05:46 AM

True, the Graduate does contain several quick flashes of nudity, however, the original theatrical cut of the Graduate showed Mrs. Robinson in a flesh-toned body suit. No nudity was actually showed, simply implied.

I believe TCM shows the body suit version, however I don't have a tape verify that.

Not to be too obsene, but Mrs. Robinson's tan-lines certainly contrast with her more tanned areas, so it is pretty obvious which version is the body suit and which version is the truly nude cut.

By the way, have you guys noticed how much better the Graduate gets over time. It seems to speak more to me on a yearly basis.

- Mike
Old 05-04-02, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mike
True, the Graduate does contain several quick flashes of nudity, however, the original theatrical cut of the Graduate showed Mrs. Robinson in a flesh-toned body suit. No nudity was actually showed, simply implied.

I believe TCM shows the body suit version, however I don't have a tape verify that.

Not to be too obsene, but Mrs. Robinson's tan-lines certainly contrast with her more tanned areas, so it is pretty obvious which version is the body suit and which version is the truly nude cut.

By the way, have you guys noticed how much better the Graduate gets over time. It seems to speak more to me on a yearly basis.

- Mike
what version of the graduite is on the dvd?
Old 05-06-02, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by Pac-Rat

As much as I hate Turner and anything he's associated with, I've got to give him credit on TCM. Along with the uncut, letterbox format-TCM doesn't seem to use the word "classic" as loosely as AMC.
This seems like one of the few cable channels not being operated by trained chimps these days, but I wouldn't give Turner much credit here, as I doubt he's had anything to do with this channel for years now. I still remember his horrific colorization crap many years ago. Thank god that terrible practice was dumped.
Old 05-06-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

are there any truely bad movies that this network has shown. What do they mostly cut out if any thing. Can we say the f word on tcm.
Old 05-07-02, 02:12 AM
MrN

Originally posted by Rypro 525
are there any truely bad movies that this network has shown. What do they mostly cut out if any thing. Can we say the f word on tcm.
I've seen a couple of 'questionable' classics on TCM. But then, I guess if the film is old enough its bound to have some fans or just historical significance.

I don't think they cut out anything. Period. I watched the Woody Allen doc. this past weekend and heard some rough language. The F-Word I think among them.

All I know is, I finally watched The Magnificient Ambersons today for the first time. Thanks TCM!
Old 05-07-02, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

well, they played the first austin powers movie.