Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 2/26 [spoilers inside--some on next weeks show too]

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-02, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
If you don't watch previews, fine. That's your deal. But to say that others have to cater to your watching habits borders on "ME ME ME ME ME!!!" and it gets to be where it's truly a pain to compose a post and then have to sit there and wonder "Well, what should I spoilerize in this post?" I say you run the risk of stumbing over preview discussion of any given episode of a show if you click on the episode's thread, and that's just part of the package. If it bothers you, well, that's the price you pay for wanting to discuss your show with other fans.

Now that being said, I'm okay with blasting someone who posts spoiler from a "reliable" source of material that is not OUT THERE, and does not apply the SPOILER tags to that bit of info. I'm cool with that. That is stuff I try not to do. But that's as far in the middle as I'm going to take it. If I want to discuss the previews and speculate, to me, that parts of the anticipation of a new episode, and it should be fair game and not have to be spoilerize for the vocal few who have this insane amount of will power that allows them to change the channel or turn off the TV when the previews come up.
Old 02-28-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya know what? There's just too many people here with the "I am the center of the universe and to hell with everybody else" attitude. Way too much juvenile whining. And no respect for other members of the forum.

There are at least a couple of forums here where this crap would not be tolerated.

I've been posting for almost a year and can honestly say (and have done so on many occasions) that I don’t know a single one of you well enough to form an opinion about who you are as a person one way or another. (Yes, that includes you, Mike.)

I’m starting to form those opinions from just a couple of threads and it bothers me.

See ya.
Old 02-28-02, 05:19 PM

The problem with discussing the previews that immediately follow a show ...
What's more, the talk about
Spoiler:
the wedding
was in the show itself. While they were in the Bronze, Xander, Anya, Will and Dawn all made numerous remarks that
Spoiler:
the wedding
was in one week. I avoid spoilers like the plague, but I think some members here are taking heat for no reason on this one.
Old 02-28-02, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't watch previews, fine. That's your deal. But to say that others have to cater to your watching habits borders on "ME ME ME ME ME!!!" and it gets to be where it's truly a pain to compose a post and then have to sit there and wonder "Well, what should I spoilerize in this post?"
The difference is quite simple: for you to adapt to us, you type SPOILER. For us to adapt to you, we have to leave the forum. I'd rather not leave the forum, and I certainly don't want to be "that guy" who threatens to leave when things don't go his way. Because 1) I don't want to leave ... and 2) no one would care if I did leave, so what good would the threat be?

If this is the way everyone wants it, then I guess the rest of us will just have to adapt. I'm not unreasonable. Maybe we can have our own thread for non-teaser discussion (like the Sci-Fi B5 thread and the regular B5 thread). Or maybe, if it's such a big deal to everyone, I can just not read the Buffy threads. I know to avoid the 24 threads, so I guess I could do the same with Buffy. It's not the optimum solution, but if that's the way everyone wants it, then I'll just have to adapt.

Whatever the case, a policy needs to be established. If teasers are a spoiler, I will freely roam the threads. If teasers are part of the episode, I will have to just adapt to that. A moderator or someone else needs to just make an executive decision, and then we all need to respect that. I think the best solution for all parties is to make the teasers be considered a spoiler. But I'm obviously in the minority. Oh well.

das
Old 02-28-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by das Monkey

The difference is quite simple: for you to adapt to us, you type SPOILER. For us to adapt to you, we have to leave the forum. I'd rather not leave the forum, and I certainly don't want to be "that guy" who threatens to leave when things don't go his way. Because 1) I don't want to leave ... and 2) no one would care if I did leave, so what good would the threat be?

If this is the way everyone wants it, then I guess the rest of us will just have to adapt. I'm not unreasonable. Maybe we can have our own thread for non-teaser discussion (like the Sci-Fi B5 thread and the regular B5 thread). Or maybe, if it's such a big deal to everyone, I can just not read the Buffy threads. I know to avoid the 24 threads, so I guess I could do the same with Buffy. It's not the optimum solution, but if that's the way everyone wants it, then I'll just have to adapt.

Whatever the case, a policy needs to be established. If teasers are a spoiler, I will freely roam the threads. If teasers are part of the episode, I will have to just adapt to that. A moderator or someone else needs to just make an executive decision, and then we all need to respect that. I think the best solution for all parties is to make the teasers be considered a spoiler. But I'm obviously in the minority. Oh well.
I have no problem with independent commercials being considered spoilers, but chalk me up for one in the "teasers attached to the end of the episode aren't spoilers" category. Just because somebody decides to stop watching the full presentation 2 minutes early doesn't mean the preview shouldn't be fair game.
Old 02-28-02, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I agree the preview is fair game. I watch every preview because I want to see what is coming. Problem is many shows have not perfected the preview. X-Files early on was great at perfecting previews. It would show you things and make you think one way and then when you saw the episode it would be a totally different way.

Maybe they need to be better at doing previews. 24 does give a bit away in their previews but it should be open for discussion nonetheless. Same thing goes with the HBO series. I usually use spoiler tags but I don't see why a preview can't be open for discussion.
Old 02-28-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
I have no problem with independent commercials being considered spoilers, but chalk me up for one in the "teasers attached to the end of the episode aren't spoilers" category. Just because somebody decides to stop watching the full presentation 2 minutes early doesn't mean the preview shouldn't be fair game.
Except that the teasers aren't part of the presentation. They're made by the network and intended to attract viewers. Sometimes they're incredibly misleading, and sometimes they spoil the entire episode (see Enterprise). This isn't every week, of course, but enough that it's really pointless to watch them and COULD do more harm than good. I'm going to watch Buffy the next week regardless of what the teaser says, so it's logical for me to skip them. Even if only one out of every hundred is a spoiler, it's worth it to me to skip them. But as I said in the sticky thread, the teasers don't bother me as much as the knowledge that they DO bother some other members to an extreme level. I miss the posters we've lost, and I don't want to lose any more, so I completely support the idea of warning us before talking about the teaser. But if that's an isolated viewpoint, I'll adapt.

das
Old 02-28-02, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Except that the teasers aren't part of the presentation. They're made by the network and intended to attract viewers. Sometimes they're incredibly misleading, and sometimes they spoil the entire episode (see Enterprise). This isn't every week, of course, but enough that it's really pointless to watch them and COULD do more harm than good. I'm going to watch Buffy the next week regardless of what the teaser says, so it's logical for me to skip them. Even if only one out of every hundred is a spoiler, it's worth it to me to skip them. But as I said in the sticky thread, the teasers don't bother me as much as the knowledge that they DO bother some other members to an extreme level. I miss the posters we've lost, and I don't want to lose any more, so I completely support the idea of warning us before talking about the teaser. But if that's an isolated viewpoint, I'll adapt.
I understand your point, but I do disagree with you on several points:
1. We disagree on the teasers being part of the presentation: I think they are. You don't. Fine. In my opinion, when I go to a movie and see the trailers at the beginning (that weren't made by the film crew), I still consider that part of the presentation. I look forward to those, and that's part of why I pay for that ticket. Same here; every week, I purposefully look for the Buffy teasers, because I enjoy them. Sometimes I enjoy seeing how sneaky they can be in making the teasers completely obscure what actually happens in the upcoming episode.

2. If the teaser can spoil the whole episode, that really says something about how lame the episode is to be totally ruined by a 30-second promo. I don't see that as detrimental, because it lets me know "Hey, the upcoming episode is a one trick pony. Let's not get our hopes up too much about it."

3. The "driving members off" notion: Patman provides as much content in the Buffy discussions, if not more, than any two other members here. He got jumped on this time for a spoiler. If I remember, he's been jumped on before (I'm too lazy to search). I'm sorry, but it's counter-productive to apply a standard that will discourage a content rich member to spare the feelings of a few other members who are denying themselves of the information by their own will.

I'd agree that there should be a standard whether the attached previews should be considered part of the episode. I vote that they should be, but I'll follow the rules, whichever way they're decided. It won't affect me much; I don't tend to post much in the TV Forum simply because of the spoiler debates. It's not worth getting anybody stirred up because I didn't guess correctly what's a spoiler and what's not a spoiler. Having to sit there and constantly second guess yourself ruins the fun.

Edit: I just read the sticky thread on the subject (that's one of the things about sticky threads... they're ubiquitous, so you don't always notice them). If the official policy is "previews are spoilers" as it seems, then that's the standard to use, I guess. I diasgree, but those are the rules.

Last edited by CaptainMarvel, Esq.; 02-28-02 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-28-02, 06:30 PM
Uber Member

Based on the responses in this thread, I've decided to put this up to members.

You might want to continue this discussion in the new poll thread:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=188149
Old 02-28-02, 09:44 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

And now back to the show....

I finally got to watch this and I was pretty impressed. Looks like we have closure on Riley so he doesn't have Angel-like status. And it looks like the Buffy/Spike thing finally got dealt with. That really did linger a little too long, like doublemeat odor.

I was just reading the short interview in the new Maxim with Joss and he talks about why guys should be watching the show - the hot women, the adventure. I think both have been lacking this year. For one thing, no 'big bad' means no weekly confrontation. The main thing that held previous seasons together was the strategy and the raising of the stakes (no, not the pointy stakes) with every episode. But now, there's no urgency. And all the women are whiny - every single one. Sigh!

What was I saying - yeah, this episode I think is yet another get-back-on-track effort but of course we wish it wasn't. And with next episode, hopefully things will get moving. The season is almost over and I wish something would happen.

I liked the Sam character but yeah, she really couldn't act. Liked the tribble-geek-ST reference. Ok, on to next week.
Old 02-28-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched Jay & Silent Bob last night, which was cool since the first time I saw it (at the theatre) it was in my pre-Buffy fan phase.

Pretty cool seeing Faith & Riley.

But poor Marc Blucas! In the commentary track, no one could remember his name. In fact , they spent 5 minutes wondering what his name was. They all commented how nice he was to work with.

I think that about sums up Riley: nice, dependable, but ultimately forgettable.

Last edited by Jadzia; 03-01-02 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-28-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If anyone cares, Blucas will be in "We Were Soldiers" which is opening tomorrow at theaters.
Old 02-28-02, 11:38 PM
Banned

If anyone cares, Blucas will be in "We Were Soldiers" which is opening tomorrow at theaters.
Spoilers for We Were Soldiers and Blucas

Spoiler:
Yes, all of Blucas's fans will be pleased that he has zero lines in flick and dies as soon as the action starts 30 minutes in.
Old 02-28-02, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was good comparied to the rest of this season and the past two years...
Old 03-01-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think you're probably right about the show sucking. If it didn't suck so much, we wouldn't have so much free time to bitch about this other stuff.

das
Yep.

As far as previews are concerned... Its kinda' funny. I'd say a good, what?, 90% of the posters agree Buffy stinks or at the least is at an all time low point,... but God forbid someone spoil that its the wedding episode next week?!?... It's like, '"I think Buffy stinks this season, and I'll probably think the next episode sucks, but dont tell me beforehand in what context it will suck!"... Strange, to me. I don't recall when Buffy was going good, if someone said, "By the preview it looks like Riley and Buffy may break up next week?" anyone even batted an eye or started calling for people to get kicked off or threatended to never read Buffy posts agian. Much less, I dont remember such a squabble in the days before spoiler tags.
Old 03-01-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Slumbering Fist
or started calling for people to get kicked off
I hope that's not happening. We may all have different opinions, and some of us may get pretty upset when we read something we didn't want to know, but I don't think there was any malice involved and I hope no one is harboring ill will towards other forum members over this.

das
Old 03-01-02, 03:00 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by Slumbering Fist
...or started calling for people to get kicked off or threatended ...
For what it's worth, I mentioned this because we have had a member in the past who posted spoilers for the first season of Survivor just to ruin the show for people. This person put the name of the winner in a couple of thread titles. That's the kind of action I'm talking about. Purposely and maliciously trying to ruin a show for everyone. Sometimes this stuff can get to actionable levels.

Please don't think that I've seen anything here in the past week that has made me even entertain the thought that anyone here should be suspended, much less banned as related to spoilers.

-David