DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Buffy 2/26 [spoilers inside--some on next weeks show too] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/187404-buffy-2-26-%5Bspoilers-inside-some-next-weeks-show-too%5D.html)

Slumbering Fist 02-26-02 03:26 PM

Buffy 2/26- Or: The Return of the Wonderbread eating, Milk drinking, Boy Scout, Riley

Just thought I'd get the thread going as a reminder...

How sad is it that Buffy has been so bland lately that I'm actually looking forward to, of all things, The Return of Riley to inject some much needed flavor into the show?

Fingers crossed. Hopes (slightly) High.

das Monkey 02-26-02 03:44 PM

God ... I'm not even going to f'ing complain this time. No respect for anyone around here.

AgtFox 02-26-02 04:09 PM

"Backstreet (Riley)'s back...All Right!" (sung to the Backstreet Boys song) ;)

Seriously, this show needs a SERIOUS kick in the pants. I've talked about it before, but the musical was the last really great episode of this series. That was a LONG time ago (November?), we need some results from this show or it truly has jumped the shark! Please get this derailed show back on track...please!!!

palebluedot 02-26-02 04:12 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
God ... I'm not even going to f'ing complain this time. No respect for anyone around here.
I know.....WTF!

Thanks for the spoil that I had no idea about!

AgtFox 02-26-02 04:14 PM

Yes, at least I put spoilers in when I knew the character was coming this week in another thread. Oh well, they've been advertising the hell out of it so the only people that wouldn't know are the people that haven't seen the ads for it on their local UPN affiliate.

Jadzia 02-26-02 04:19 PM

This "spoiler" is also in the episode description on ReplayTv, Tivo, and I would assume TV Guide, so in all fairness to the original poster, it's not exactly a secret revelation.

das Monkey 02-26-02 04:20 PM

Originally posted by AgtFox
Yeah, I avoid UPN ads and <I>24</I> ads (among others), since they frequently give away WAY more info than the fan wants to know. Those ads are made to attract the general masses who don't care about a show enough to watch it week-to-week: they need some motivation to tune in. They don't care if they ruin the episode for the fans, cuz we'll tune in anyway. <I>24</I> is the worst by far. I don't even read the <I>24</I> threads anymore, because invariably someone in here will start talking about what he saw in the promo that gives away major information about the next episode.

das

das Monkey 02-26-02 04:23 PM

Originally posted by Jadzia
This "spoiler" is also in the episode description on ReplayTv, Tivo, and I would assume TV Guide, so in all fairness to the original poster, it's not exactly a secret revelation.
It's still a spoiler. Just because the a-holes promoting the show don't respect their viewers doesn't mean we shouldn't try to respect each other in here. It's a lot harder to forget something you've read than to simply type SPOILER.

das

P.S. Nothing against you, <B>Fist</B> ... just arguing the point that just because the media may have spoiled it doesn't mean we should do the same.

RolloTomasi 02-26-02 07:32 PM

Sigh...Buffy used to be my Number One Favorite Show on Television. Now it's not even in the top five. For God's sakes, even Smallville is actually getting interesting.

One comment for now - can Buffy even fight anymore? She, the Slayer got thrown back by the demon at least three times, while Sam, a normal person, kicked that monster's ass single-handedly. Maybe it's something in the Doublemeat? -confused-

--

Ok, my patience is really starting to wear thin for this show. No matter what anyone says, this show is hurting for lack of Joss-involvement. None of the episodes feel paced correctly anymore, they're getting bogged down on inconsequential details, and zipping through what should be interesting (and things that can be classified as such are becoming few and far in between). Frankly, this episode was boring, which is especially obvious, and a marker of the show's decline, when Riley (for God's sakes, he was called Captain Cardboard) is the most interesting character of an episode.

This show is taking a new direction, and I don't like it. The show's getting a lot more dreary and mundane, which is not something an escapist horror-fantasy show should be shooting for. The characters are increasingly becoming one-dimensional, just hitting the same note over and over. There doesn't seem to be any cohesiveness to the season arc - what is it, more than half-way over? It's moving slow as molasses, and less fun.

One other thing - did this episode seem cheaply made? The driving scenes seems like they were shot with HD-Video or something. And that airlift at the end - that just looked horrible. They should have done it right, or not at all.

If next week's episode isn't any good, this show will be beyond the point of no return (no, I'm not mentioning that aquatic phrase)

dolphinboy 02-26-02 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Jadzia

I agree. Some people make a really big deal out of something that isn't life or death and I sure think the thread starter was just excited about the new show and getting a discussion started about something most everyone knew about anyway.

I don't see that that's a bad thing.

Snake Plissken 02-26-02 09:45 PM

From watching this episode I can say four things:

1) Can this season get anymore depressing?

2) This season is going nowhere and is a waste of time.

3) Everyone should be watching ANGEL instead.

4) Riley's wife is HOT! I would've dumped Buffy too for her. WTG Agent Finn!

Blade 02-26-02 10:11 PM

Originally posted by dolphinboy
I don't see that that's a bad thing.
People come here to talk and enjoy themselves. It's fine, and in fact, encouraged, to become very excited about something and then sharing it with the other members on this board.

But posting spoilers in thread titles is just unacceptable and grounds for being banned if you keep doing it after being warned.

Slumbering Fist,

I'm guessing that this was an honest mistake. Please try to use more caution in the future. The members here are in several different time zones and everyone doesn't get to see the show at the same time.

Thanks.

spainlinx0 02-26-02 10:18 PM

I forgot to tape this unfortunately which is just my damn luck. Any websites I can get this from? I only have Morpheus and Winmx to download videos and they always take forever. Anyone want to tell me a better and quicker way other than Newsgroups?

Snake Plissken 02-26-02 10:25 PM

Here are TV Guide's descriptions for the next TWO episodes of Buffy! SPOILERS OF COURSE!!!

Episode: Hell's Bells
Air date: March 5th
Spoiler:
On the day of his wedding to Anya, Xander (Nicholas Brendon) gets cold feet about their prospective life together when an odd stranger offers him a glimpse into the future. D'Hoffryn: Andy Umberger. Anya: Emma Caulfield. Clem: James C. Leary. Hallie: Kali Rocha. Giles: Anthony Stewart Head. Mr. Harris: Casey Sander. Mrs. Harris: Lee Garlington. Buffy: Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Episode: Normal Again
Air date: March 12th
Spoiler:
A demon doses Buffy with a powerful chemical that causes her to hallucinate, convincing the Slayer her parents are alive and Dawn never existed. Joyce Summers: Kristine Sutherland. Hank Summers: Dean Butler. Andrew: Tom Lenk. Jonathan: Danny Strong. Warren: Adam Busch. Giles: Anthony Stewart Head. Buffy: Sarah Michelle Gellar. Willow: Alyson Hannigan.

Wizdar 02-26-02 11:25 PM

Do we REALLY need TV Guide listings here?

Ya know, maybe we should consider closing this thread and starting over. Just a suggestion.

btlives 02-26-02 11:50 PM

starting over. Just a suggestion.

Naah..Header has been corrected.

Lot of tension on the tv forum tonite. Maybe some of it
flowing over from the trade forum......Anyways.

Couple of cool jokes on buffy's hair and being dead.
Episode moved along pretty well. And for a change
Dawn was for fairly quiet. This ep seemed to have
a fairly dark feel to feel to it. Wardrobe, time of day
and just the general mood the characters.

Not one of this seasons best efforts, but it was not terrible.
Though next week looks alot more interesting.

cooper2000 02-27-02 12:24 AM

I am not going to jump on the I hate Riley Bandwagon. I liked him and was sorry to see him go in the first place.
The show was pretty good but I am starting to think that it has jumped the shark. Did you see next weeks preview? Looks really horrible.
I just cant take seeing Buffy, my favorite slayer working at a Burger joint and to see how low everyone has become. This show used to use life to mirror what was going on with these character, ie: Highschool but this has become more dreary that thirtysomething or Once and Again.
Get back to what made thd show good and what is making Angel more watchable. Fun but not at the expense of making the characters look stupid.
Lets see more Monsters, More character growth all in the context of Sunnydale not real Life.
This season has been abysmal to the point that I dont even like the character of Buffy.
It's just really been a let down all season. Its half way over. Time to get to some good stuff. Unfortunately, I dont think thats going to be happening.

das Monkey 02-27-02 02:16 AM

Originally posted by Blade
Slumbering Fist,

I'm guessing that this was an honest mistake.

I'm sure it was too. I don't want people to get in trouble, and I don't want to get into arguments over it. I just don't want to be spoiled. I know some consider that to be overly sensitive about a stupid TV show, but I think it's a fair request.

Anyway, now that the episode has aired ...

It seemed to have the makings of a good episode, even though it felt like it sucked. I like the idea of Riley returning for some closure and being somewhat of a catalyst for the turning point in Buffy's life. I really like Buffy treating Spike like a man when she ends the relationship. But still, it just didn't feel right.

I can't believe they wrote this line:

"I became addicted to magic, you know, like addicts do."

Someone call the Writer's Guild ... we've got a winner!

I'm not even sure if I can tell what's good and what's not about this show anymore. The pain of watching it suck from week to week clouds my judgment. Was this episode good? I think it was better than the last few episodes. But is that really saying much?

There's nothing more heartbreaking than watching a great show slowly descend to average ... and below.

das

iawiaw 02-27-02 03:20 AM

Well, I actually did like Riley from the old days. It's strange listening to Riley talking to Buffy as they're walking down the street looking for the demon. No wonder Buffy laughed. His adventures sounded soooo outrageous. Helllllo?! This is the hellmouth for goodness sake! This is what the Buffyverse has become - normal and boring! How long has it been that Buffy actually kill some demons, vampires, werewolves ....? It's soooo refreshing seeing the good old days of kick ass actions again, be it so brief. And the sad part is that it looked so out of place in the show.

The show has become an As The Buffy Turns soap! Everyone is so darn depressing. At least Dawn is more normal in this one.

Well, I hope that Buffy is really ending the Spikefest for good! Bye, William! 8-)

This is just sad seeing the degeneration of Buffy. Bring back Angel!

Jlbkwrm 02-27-02 03:31 AM

I think the quality decline in the show can be blamed on a change in the behind-the-scenes philosophy.

In one of the earlier seasons, Joss was quoted as calling Buffy "My So Called Life" with monsters. This season, Marti Noxon was quoted as calling Buffy "Party of Five" with monsters.

This episode... It was allright. I'm not particularly moved one way or another. For some reason, it reminded me of Checkpoint, but without the big revelation at the end.

Of course, I'm endlessly pissed at the writers for making me actually applaud Riley during his "Spike the Amoral" speech.

The Spike/Buffy breakup was too anticlimactic for my taste. I'm glad Buffy dumped him, because it's good for her, but the way they played it seemed way too much like set up for a later "healthy" relationship.

I did, however, love the preview for next week. Mostly because:

Spoiler:
The bridesmaid dresses are hideous. So, if the episode itself is terrible, I will at least have intentionally bad clothing to mock.

RandyM 02-27-02 04:45 AM

No, I don't think this season is as good as previous seasons, but it's far from terrible. I also think it's meant to be somewhat depressing, from the Slayer humiliations with Doublemeat & Spike, and the Tara/Willow estrangement. Things can't be Happy Happy Fun Time in Sunnydale all the time. There's 6 or 7 more episodes this year, and it looks like things will start to be more upbeat.

And spoiler wise, unless you're better with a remote control than I am, you knew before the show started Riley was coming back since the "Previously on..." was all him, which is why I really like the fact that the DVDs don't include them.

bmarquardt 02-27-02 05:09 AM

Who be Sam?

Was Sam played by Ivana Milicevic, aka "Missy" from HBO's Mind of the Married Man?

Patman 02-27-02 05:39 AM

OMG! I came away so relieved that Buffy is back! She's got some of her mojo back, and she's back to booting vampires and demons! I thought it was a good move to have Riley keep reinforcing into Buffy that she's a force of nature, not just a potential Double Meat Palace employee of the month.

I swear it was like a huge piece of fog was lifted off the Buffy franchise tonight. I can't express how frikkin' happy I am with this episode (and I was dreading the re-appearance of Riley beforehand).

Also, setting up Riley as having got over Buffy (taking over a year) and marrying him off frees Buffy as well because it's now an avenue that's not available to her, but she now knows that she's better without Spike than with him.

Damn glad it was Riley who kept driving home the point that Spike is just a love-sick demon who, left to his own devices, does evil things because that's implicit in his nature. That Buffy accepts that evil part of him now gives her more perspective of their "relationship". When she ends the relationship (finally, we hope!) and calls him "William" it sent shivers down my spine. Why does Buffy have to dress like a hottie when she's giving Spike his walking papers? :) That's just mean!

Hee hee, having Riley refer to Buffy as a hottie was a hoot as well. ("Love the hair").

It makes some sort of sense that Sam is attractive to Riley while not quite crushing his manhood because Buffy would always have that physical power advantage over him, and Riley's just not wired to be happy with a person like that for his mate/wife.

That was a good save on Sam's part to tell Willow that she wsa strong enough to say no to the magic arts. It reinforces the idea that Buffy's pals are also quite extraordinary, while being non-self-conscious of their resolve and will.

Best line of the night: "What a bitch!" (Here I think Willow was being supportive of Buffy and facetious all in one breath, nice piece of setup and writing).

Xander and Anya's wedding planning blues was played up for some much welcomed relief in the episode, and their wedding does appear to be a hoot. Does Spike bring Helfrek with him the wedding? :)

cooper2000 02-27-02 09:29 AM

I wish I could say the fog has lifted off the doldrums of the show but it has not.
The show was never all "Happy" like Happy Days and I dont think anyone wanted it to be, but the show has sunken to a low with the characters and what they are doing. The writing is not up to par, hense the ol Happy Days moment when Fonz....Jumped The Shark on the show.

Did Riley even think to say sorry about Buffys Mom????

Hmmm..

Wizdar 02-27-02 09:48 AM

Originally posted by bmarquardt
Was Sam played by Ivana Milicevic, aka "Missy" from HBO's Mind of the Married Man?
Yep.

I’m not keeping score or anything, but I’m surprised to be agreeing with Patman, especially since we seem to be in the minority. I loved this one. (Does it make up for an abysmal season, no. But I digress.) Dawn was starting to give me the hot, until Sam showed up. Grrrrrr! Whip me, beat me, take away my charge cards, baby!!

This episode has the lighthearted nature of Buffy of olde, not the brooding, constipated stuff we’ve been subjected to this season.

I thought the scene between Sam and Willow was very touching. Few people will take the time, after unintentionally “stepping in it”, to try to set things right. That kind of encouragement is important to someone in recovery.

One can only hope that the funk the show has been is reflective of Buffy’s personal funk (as in, done on purpose). One can hope that both are at an end?

My choice for best line of the show: “I’ve seen enough of your dead body for one night, thanks.” Haven’t we all! :lol:

Note to Xander: cut down on the cheezy poofs, porker!