Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

24 - 2/26

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
24 - 2/26

Anyone seen it yet? I know it's on only tomorrow, but I can't wait to comment on it:

(DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN THE 2/26 EPISODE!!!)

Spoiler:

So they all manage to escape from the camp and Jack kills Gaines. Since we are halfway through the show the "second shooter" is brought in to keep the show going. This is so far a non-spectacular development. We knew that the big guys had a contingency plan, but I expected something more than just "bring in another assassin from Yugoslavia". And right on that day too, not in advance... I guess they didn't really take into account how much a transatlantic flight really takes...

Still I am looking forward to more interesting things to come out of this.

Also, for the first time, I liked the Palmer story. His attempt to go clean fails and he finally seems to realize what powers are involved. He decides to become a president as the only way to nail these guys. He is still naive in believing that, but at least he is less naive than before.

Overall, although it may have dropped some of the intensity with this half-way conclusion, 24 remains my favourite TV show of this year.

Last edited by Gandalf; 02-26-02 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-25-02, 10:55 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where'd you get all this stuff?
Old 02-25-02, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

must fight urge to double click....hopefully I can be strong until tomorrow night
Old 02-26-02, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
Where'd you get all this stuff?
I just watched the episode :P

Copenhagen: Good attitude! Be strong!
Old 02-26-02, 08:09 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Gandalf

I just watched the episode :P
Oh.

Wish I would've known that before I scrolled... figured you were just commenting on the ep preview from the last show.
Old 02-26-02, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling

Oh.

Wish I would've known that before I scrolled... figured you were just commenting on the ep preview from the last show.
Oops. Sorry! Indeed I didn't make it too clear that there was a true spoiler in there. Edited now.
Old 02-26-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a couple of problems, rick found a bus stop in the middle of nowhere? and noone noticed the blood on him?

also, the real time kinda got thrown out the window. they see a helicopter and jack shoots gaines. then we see the whole thing with palmer and a commercial, come back and the copter is just landing and jack is looking at gaines' blood? seems like time moved slow

other than that, great episode. looks like they are wrapping up a story line and starting another.

also from the preview for next week
Spoiler:
looks like whoever guessed the pains were from rape, might be right. i thought that'd be too gruesome for primetime tv, but guess not
Old 02-26-02, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh how I love this show! It has me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Truly one of the best shows ever, and this particular episode didn't disappoint me at all - in fact, the tension just keeps getting ratcheted up a notch each week, which is what I was hoping they would do. I am one of the few who was hooked (tension and all) from the first episode on - none of the episodes have been disappointing to me. They just keep getting better and better.
Old 02-26-02, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yup, like everyone else, i think this is an absolutely great show. while i did think that this episode was a tad slow after last week, it was a good chance to 'catch our breath' to get ready for the race to the finish, which should be outstanding. does anyone else think that rick will somehow turn up to help jack in a time of great need later on? jack's statement about redeeming yourself comes to mind. anyway, many good things happening, can't wait for more.
Old 02-26-02, 09:42 PM

Another very good episode. They really have pretty much thrown out the real time aspect, but it really doesn't matter much..

It really would have been stretching things, but a small part of me hoped the chopper was going to abduct all of them.

Question- I can't recal the airplane chick Mandy showing up anywhere since they killed her girlfriend. Am I forgetting something? You would think she'll figure in the equation again later.
Old 02-26-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The end of the A-Team violence was tonight. Smoking bodies in the van explosion aftermath and Gaines taking a bullet after Jack smokes the Asian guy(from Die Hard, I'm happy he still finds work). What happened to the guy that drove Jack into the compound? I must have missed it.
Old 02-26-02, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by J-Dubya
The end of the A-Team violence was tonight. Smoking bodies in the van explosion aftermath and Gaines taking a bullet after Jack smokes the Asian guy(from Die Hard, I'm happy he still finds work). What happened to the guy that drove Jack into the compound? I must have missed it.
gaines hit him with the gun for being stupid. he was supposed to circle around and shoot jack while gaines distracted him. dont know what actually happened to him
Old 02-26-02, 10:34 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Venusian

gaines hit him with the gun for being stupid. he was supposed to circle around and shoot jack while gaines distracted him. dont know what actually happened to him
I must have missed that part too. The last I saw of "Alan York" he was indeed circling behind Jack. When he heard the helicopter approaching, he looked up at the sky, stopped and doubled back. I thought he decided then and there to screw Gaines and just take off to save himself.

I must be getting senile but I have no recollection of Gaines hitting him with a gun?
Old 02-26-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by AJW

I must have missed that part too. The last I saw of "Alan York" he was indeed circling behind Jack. When he heard the helicopter approaching, he looked up at the sky, stopped and doubled back. I thought he decided then and there to screw Gaines and just take off to save himself.

I must be getting senile but I have no recollection of Gaines hitting him with a gun?
gaines hit him with a gun before. right at teh start of the episode after the van explodes and they go into the woods looking for them
Old 02-26-02, 10:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Venusian

We don't know what happens to him other than he hears the copter and exits stage left ...

I also thought it was a good epsiode but thought it had a few problems that I found distracting.

(1) Let's see the van takes off with the family reunited just before the bad guys pull up. The bad guys go in the building look around and find the body and then radio for the gate to be on the lookout. Then they get back in their jeep and head for the gate. Next thing we know the jeep is right in back of the van and they start shooting. Did the Van just drive in circles for a while on the happy circle road? Whatever happens it appears that they at least went away from real time rules they are suppose to be following as the bad guys get to the gate in a matter of seconds.

(2) Jack listens in on their radios and determines that they can get away because of the position of the bad guys. Obviously he is wrong as bad guys make up ground and just happen to take the high ground at the one spot the Bauer's are trying to cross? Even if they use vehicles to make up time to get to that area of the compound, wouldn't the Bauers hear the vehicles. Ever been on a dirt road? How far does the sound travel of an approaching vehicle,? How about the dust? I know, I know. Minor points but they are distracting.

(3) Speaking of dust. Did anyone else notice that after the van left and the bad guys pulled up the dust was still in the air? Bad guys must have not been very aware.

Finally, the overused shot of the week was when the girls were lost and trying to get their bearings. I need to replay it but I think the Bauer woman turned in circles at least 10 times in that scene and several times the cameras did 360 degree shots around them (on top of that). Way over done to the point of being comical.

Last edited by ctyankee; 02-26-02 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-26-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember reading that Fox's original order for 24 was for 13 episodes (they ordered the last 11 after a few episodes had aired). Anyone get the idea that the producers were hedging their bets in case Fox didn't pick the show up for the rest of the season? It seemed that several major story lines wrapped up in this episode. In fact, had it been neccessary, Palmer could have confessed the entire thing to the DA and ended that story line as well.

Last edited by madcougar; 02-26-02 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-26-02, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,452 Likes on 988 Posts
Originally posted by madcougar
I remember reading that Fox's original order for 24 was for 13 episodes (they ordered the last 11 after a few episodes had aired). Anyone get the idea that the producers were hedging their bets in case Fox didn't pick the show up for the rest of the season? It seemed that several major story lines wrapped up in this episode. In fact, had it been neccessary, Palmer could have confessed the entire thing to the DA and ended that story line as well.
yeah, I kind of noticed that as well. it was sort of a semi-resolution to 2 of the larger plot points.
Old 02-26-02, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I definitely noticed this... although they really didn't rap the Palmer story (technically the main plot - the assassination) at all, just the kidnapping of the Wife and Daughter. Of course, since this has been far and away the best story, it's certainly noteworthy to have it wrapped up.

Anyhoo, there's plenty to work with for the last 11... I'm looking forward to every one of them.
Old 02-27-02, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

while the real time aspect of this show was one of the key things about it at the beginning, i can overlook the mistakes because the rest of this is really good.
Old 02-27-02, 08:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Good observation. As mentioned by others this did wrap up some stuff including a mini-conclusion for Senator Palmer - he chooses the White House and protects his son.

Let's face it they could have also brought in the actors for a cleaner more definite finish (if this episode was already in the can) and they could have knocked out the info on the new shooter etc.

What would be really interesting to know is whether this episode was in the can before they got the green light for new episodes. Anyone know?

In a previous post, I had complained about the overuse of camera tricks during the scene where the girls were lost. I rewatched the scene this morning.

This is a 50 second scene which starts with Teri getting one of her side pains (probably from dealing this daughter, I know I would) and ends with 12:12:03 clock cut to commercial.

There are 19 cuts in that 50 second scene (that's a cut every 2.6 seconds). There are 18 instances when we see one of the girls from their front switched to back or their back switched to front (sometimes just turning sometimes not). While they are trying to give the feeling of confusion, of being lost and of action - they just take it to overkill mode. This on top of 24's use of varying camera angels and depth within the same scene as well as using mobile cameras to move right around them. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. It is just a matter of time before someone does a parody of this.

Good news. Hopefully, this allows Kimberly to get into another set of clothes. I'm so tired of seeing that out of shape she-cow in that "let's get boys to notice us" outfit.
Old 02-27-02, 08:25 AM

Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts
I was impressed with last night's episode. But what I want to know is where the second guy in the woods go (the false dad, I forgot his name). Also, when is Dennis Hopper gonna show up? I was hoping he would be the second assassin.
Old 02-27-02, 08:32 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by ctyankee
Good news. Hopefully, this allows Kimberly to get into another set of clothes. I'm so tired of seeing that out of shape she-cow in that "let's get boys to notice us" outfit.
I can't believe you think Elisa/Eliza Cuthbert looks out of shape. I think she looks fine. I take it you're a Kate Moss fan?
Old 02-27-02, 08:55 AM
Banned

I was bothered by the rescue team. Was it only one helicopter? Was it their only mission to rescue the family? Were they simply going to leave all those bad guys hanging around with guns? And why didn't they come to Gaines' rescue? Did they all chicken out?
Old 02-27-02, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 289 Likes on 170 Posts
Elisha Cuthbert looks pretty good to me. I'd much rather see her then the skinny skanks on "Friends," to pick the obvious examples.

Last edited by dstrauss; 02-28-02 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-27-02, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
If someone could explain

Spoiler:
what was said to Palmer re: Palmer's son and the Feragamo (sp??) murder? I missed what appeared to be a pretty important piece of dialogue there

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.