Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise 2/13/02

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-02, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Alcohol would make them feel warmer. I think he just said "it'll warm you up" which is a fairly common statement when it comes to alcohol. I don't think it was meant to be a scientific fact.

The potatos was really lame. I hope they put valve sealant on the leaks anyway.

As far as blowing the engines. Yes, they would continue on that course. The explosion altered their trajectory, and they would have no way to correct it. I think that's what he meant by "dead in the water"...unable to change course or do anything but drift along.
Old 02-15-02, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After the funeral for my brother, Goober, I will be holding interviews for jobs at my factory. The only real requirement is that you live in the real world and not in the Star Trek world. Good pay. Short hours. No real business objective. Come and join our wonderful family.

das

This offer is not valid for French Canadians.
Old 02-15-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by draven-x
As far as blowing the engines. Yes, they would continue on that course. The explosion altered their trajectory, and they would have no way to correct it. I think that's what he meant by "dead in the water"...unable to change course or do anything but drift along.
The explosion might have altered their trajectory, but not necessarily. The explosion (shock wave) could have actually increased their speed slightly. But you and Thrush are correct that, unless acted upon by another force they would continue on their (not too) merry way.

"Dead in the water" does in fact mean stopped. Just remember these writers aren't being paid for being smart...
Old 02-15-02, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Good pay. Short hours. No real business objective.
No future...

P4, 2Ghz, 21" flat screen, DVD+RW, T2 maybe?

I ain't working with WinXP! Just so you know...

Old 02-15-02, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

From Dictionary.com

dead in the water:

Unable to function or move: The crippled ship was dead in the water. With no leadership, the project was dead in the water.

To get REALLY technical, a crippled boat still moves with the water. They just have no control.
Old 02-15-02, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Has there ever been been an openly gay character in Star Trek? I didn't watch much of DS9 or VOY so I wonder if they ever addressed it.
Another reason why Berman and Braga suck.

Most of my favorite shows have no gay characters. No biggie. It's not like I want a quota. (And I can't stand plenty of shows that do have gay characters, like W&G...)

But in 21+ seasons of new Trek, they've managed to avoid the issue like it's the plague. No casual jokes. No couples in the background. No subtle references that even a minor character might be different.

For all we know, this is one of those things that they've "cured" along with poverty and war. Evidentally, there's no sign of us in the "wonderful future" they've envisioned...

Last edited by adamblast; 02-15-02 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-15-02, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wait a minute! Hold the phone! I forgot about alternate-reality-evil-bisexual-dominatrix Kira!

Last edited by adamblast; 02-15-02 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-15-02, 01:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Wizdar
Somebody mentioned a coupla threads ago about the music. It's sounding pretty good these days*.

[tootin’myownhorn] [/tootin’myownhorn]
Old 02-15-02, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by draven-x
To get REALLY technical, a crippled boat still moves with the water. They just have no control.
I didn't want to get REALLY technical.

If YOU want to get REALLY technical, you could take into account the occasional atom floating around, which will slow them down, alter their course, and any gravitational influences...

Kudama, if I remember correctly ( ), this was the Caves of Denial episode. I noticed the incidental music had a good sound and seemed to fit the location and action (lotsa primal bass and drums).

Last ep there was the "flavor" of ST background music, but no recognizable theme.

Haven't mentioned it before because I've been too busy bitching about other things.
Old 02-15-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Wizdar vs Numanoid part deux

”A finger could easily stop that leak without damage.” Nope nope nope. Not only is the statement wrong, but your supporting example (as many you’ve tried the last time we butted heads) is inappropriate and doesn’t address the actual danger. I’ll leave it at that waiting for your rebuttal. Just realize that I’m talking about real world physics here as that’s the subject matter.
I'm curious about the details here. Assuming the shuttle is pressurized at about 1 atm (14.7 psi), you're telling me that the pressure exerted on a "microscopic" hole by the internal atmosphere would be enough to significantly damage a finger? Maybe a bruise, but I think even that might be stretching it.
Old 02-15-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't want to get REALLY technical.

If YOU want to get REALLY technical, you could take into account the occasional atom floating around, which will slow them down, alter their course, and any gravitational influences...
I just meant that if you are objecting to the phrase "dead in the water", the technical definition means "unable to function or move" - the definitely fit the "unable to function" part, and they certainly couldn't move under their own power.
Old 02-15-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Duran, size matters. If the hole was “microscopic”, they shouldn’t have been able to find it visually. Depending on the size of the hole you could be right. (Think “hickey”) But the significant phrase here is “without damage.” I’ve played with Numanoid before and it’s necessary to pick nits to the extreme in order to keep up.

Also, the pressure inside the shuttle is important, but not to my point and looking at that factor will lead you in the wrong direction, like the 200-pound foot example.

I’d explain further, but I’m hoping that Numanoid will weigh in on the issue first

draven-x I agree. Although you have still contradicted yourself in your statement (unable to move is unable to move), but I agree with your meaning.
Old 02-15-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Duran, size matters. If the hole was “microscopic”, they shouldn’t have been able to find it visually. Depending on the size of the hole you could be right. (Think “hickey”) But the significant phrase here is “without damage.” I’ve played with Numanoid before and it’s necessary to pick nits to the extreme in order to keep up.

Also, the pressure inside the shuttle is important, but not to my point and looking at that factor will lead you in the wrong direction, like the 200-pound foot example.
I agree that size matters, but they had to use the escaping gas to locate the hole, which I think would work whether the hole was microscopic or not. It's not like they saw the holes without any assistance. As a matter of fact, they may have never saw the holes - they just saw where the gas was escaping. I'm still not sold on any damage - we're talking about a mighty small hole here. Even if it was visible (say 1/8"?), I think it would only causing bruising.

Now the other argument is whether mashed potatoes would have successfully plugged the hole long enough for them to get the sealant. Now if they used my roommate's mashed potatoes, than definitely not. Mine, possibly.
Old 02-15-02, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK Wizdar, I don't remember what our past discussions were about, but I fail to see you prove anything that I've said as incorrect. Ok, I'll give you 1/2 a point for forced versus blown, but when the wind is moving briskly past you, do you remark, "Gee, the wind is really being forced today?" I think not. The wind (air) is blowing, from a high-pressure area to a lower pressure area, just like the shuttle example. And talk about semantics!! Geesh, I said a finger could stop that leak without damage...I don't consider a blood-blister (or hickey) damage, in the grand scheme of things. The original comment by mikehunt stated "majorly messed up"...I don't think so. Ok, my standing on the finger was a poor analogy, and I knew it, but I hadn't eaten that day. How about this...ever put the crevice tool from your operating Hoover against your skin (and I don't really want to know where)? Did your flesh turn into spaghetti? Yeah, that's what I thought. Could congealed Starfleet ration "mashed potatoes" seal the hole, at least temporarily? Since neither you nor I know what congealed Starfleet ration "mashed potatoes" are made of or are like, we'll have to say yes, since we've seen it done.

Also, I agree that to an engineer (or anyone else except Wizdar, for that matter ), "dead in the water" would mean no control of the craft, not lack of forward momentum.

And as far as your little quiz goes...you lost me at purge valve, condensation and lube oil. I sit in front of a computer all day, arguing with anonymous personalities over Star Trek minutia, I don't know from purge valves.

Your ball.
Old 02-15-02, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
and her implied lesbian lover, Ezri

Originally posted by adamblast
Wait a minute! Hold the phone! I forgot about alternate-reality-evil-bisexual-dominatrix Kira!
Old 02-15-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
And talk about semantics!! Geesh, I said a finger could stop that leak without damage...I don't consider a blood-blister (or hickey) damage, in the grand scheme of things.
I thought "semantics" was the name of the game. "Blown" vs "sucked."

My bad.

If ya didn't wanna play, you coulda just said so.

So, in your Hoover example, does the Hoover suck, or does your skin blow?

Just wondering...
Old 02-15-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"I didn't know this was physically possible, but this both sucks AND blows" - Bart Simpson
Old 02-15-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just wondering...

das
Old 02-15-02, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If ya didn't wanna play, you coulda just said so.
I thought I WAS playing.
Old 02-15-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
I thought I WAS playing.
I always enjoy a good discussion. But you tend to modify the rules as we go along. As anybody who's exchanged posts with me can tell you, I have the attention span the length of my **** in a snowstorm.

But, anyway.

das, thanks! I needed that.
Old 02-15-02, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

das, thanks! I needed that.
Any time ... so long as you realize I'm laughing at you and not with you.

das

Old 02-15-02, 07:12 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here we go again...

Oh wait, I already said that..

And for the record (you can check the threads from the start) I've always liked the opening theme music!

-BT

Stinky
You smiled!!