Old 02-14-02, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
T'Pol wet dream. Very nice.
Old 02-14-02, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Slumbering Fist
Besides, I like Malcom (bad drunk acting aside) and he's a good loner/outsider Trek figure.
There ain't a British actor what can do a good drunk act.

And Fo-OSter Bro-OKS was The Best.

Somebody mentioned a coupla threads ago about the music. It's sounding pretty good these days*. I just hope they don't fall into the "theme" music stuff like they over did in Voyager (especially the "action/battle" music).

*My wife knows not to get in the way of the remote (mute) when the opening theme plays

Last edited by Wizdar; 02-14-02 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-14-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Wizdar
There ain't a British actor what can do a good drunk act.
Except for Peter O'Toole and Richard Harris. They play great drunks... Oh wait... Forgot thats not an act.
Old 02-14-02, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Slumbering Fist
Except for Peter O'Toole
Forgot about him!

My Favorite Year.
Old 02-14-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
they saw the landing bay door, and saw the "01" portion of the registry number

Originally posted by dave955
I had some kind of cable hiccup toward the beginning, so I wanted to ask:
Spoiler:
what made the shuttlecraft crew think the ship rubble on the asteroid was Enterprise? was the whole point they saw this wreckage and just assumed it was Enterprise because Enterprise was supposed to be in the area? did they see the missing bay door on the asteroid?
i was a little confused the entire way because it wasn't clear to me how or why the crew reached the conclusion they had.
Old 02-14-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
the suliban are genetically engineered, so they might have skin thick/tough enough to handle vacuum
but the potatoes would have gotten sucked out too, and there's a good chance part of their finger would have, at the very least, been majorly messed up

Originally posted by grunter

And then to plug those leaks with stale mashed potatoes? "Enterprise" sure plays fast and loose with that depressurization stuff. Wasn't there a slow leak in some cargo bay just weeks ago? Not to mention the sky-diving Suliban.

Otherwise it was refreshingly non-Trek. I still think they're producing episodes "on the cheap." While there were no literal caves or flashlights this episode, generally all the "action" took place in the confined, frost-encrusted quarters of the shuttlepod - with an oil lamp briefly for lighting. The series' unofficial "theme" therefore continues . . .
Old 02-14-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

cool, thanks

mkehunt, I would have bet on a time thingie with the Suliban or somebody setting things straight. There is no truth in advertising when it comes to trailers/previews. [BTW, Yesterday’s Enterprise plays YET AGAIN Friday, in case you didn’t get my other message. ]

Old 02-14-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by mikehunt
they saw the landing bay door, and saw the "01" portion of the registry number

Interesting that an alien race would also be using Arabic numerology.
Old 02-14-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
Interesting that an alien race would also be using Arabic numerology.
a) It's the Universal Translator

or

b) mikehunt occasionally sees things that, umm, aren't really, umm, there, if ya knowwhadahmean...

Old 02-14-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

it was the door from the enterprise. I'll pop in the tape right now and check
Old 02-14-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

not the best quality (paused the tape and took a pic of the tv) but it shows the 01
from before the opening credits

http://community.webshots.com/storag...kAxJjff_fs.jpg

then later T'Pol and Archer take a work pod out to inspect the damage, Archer asks who is filling in for Trip, T'Pol tells him and he tells her to tell that person to have the engineering crew make a new launch bay door

I admit I'm crazy, but my craziness doesn't result in halucinations (yet)

Last edited by mikehunt; 02-14-02 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-14-02, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I admit I'm crazy, but my craziness doesn't result in halucinations (yet)
Give it time.

Good eye! Now you've got me curious. Was I just scratching my bawls at that time? You KNOW how much concentration that takes.

I take back all most of the mean things I've ever said about you...
Old 02-14-02, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

another great quote from the newsgroup

At least their in-flight movie wasn't "Star Trek V: Shatner's Wig Is God"
didn't the airlock have emergency space suits?
that would have given them a extra hour or more of oxygen
Old 02-14-02, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess this episode kills the rumor (hope by some) that Malcom is gay
Old 02-14-02, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Has there ever been been an openly gay character in Star Trek? I didn't watch much of DS9 or VOY so I wonder if they ever addressed it.
Old 02-14-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Naw. He just wanted N'Pol to call him Stinky.

The liquor brought out his true self. Didn't ya notice how he got mad when Tripp wouldn't snuggle any more?

[obligatory Seinfeld quote]
Old 02-14-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has there ever been been an openly gay character in Star Trek? I didn't watch much of DS9 or VOY so I wonder if they ever addressed it.
Bashir. I mean, really, who do they think they were fooling?

das

Seriously, the Bashir character was originally going to be gay.
Old 02-14-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think so, unless maybe some small guest character was
I think the "New Frontier" books (are they the ones with the Excalibur, Cmdr Shelby, and Robin Lefler from TNG?) have a gay character

Old 02-14-02, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think so, unless maybe some small guest character was
I think the "New Frontier" books (are they the ones with the Excalibur, Cmdr Shelby, and Robin Lefler from TNG?) have a gay character

I would hope the gay character was Lefler ... I'd buy those books ... ya know ... with pictures ...

das
Old 02-14-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jadzia Dax kissed a girl once once. And Ive always had my suspicions about Q.
Old 02-14-02, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Thrush
Jadzia Dax kissed a girl once once. And Ive always had my suspicions about Q.
Forgot about that scene with Jadzia, although since she's been both a man and a woman, and they could have done something with that.

Q?

There was one TNG (they've probably played it about 3 times ) where a Trill (I think) went from a guy to a girl and wanted to continue the fling with Dr. Crusher, but they totally put down the possibility of continuing the relationship.
Old 02-14-02, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There was one TNG (they've probably played it about 3 times ) where a Trill (I think) went from a guy to a girl and wanted to continue the fling with Dr. Crusher, but they totally put down the possibility of continuing the relationship.
Yeah, but that chick was butt ugly, so we don't really know what Crusher's motivations were on that one.

das
Old 02-14-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Thrush
Not only that but sealing a pressure leak with their fingers?! Thats right out of a loony tunes cartoon and just about as realistic. If you were dumb enough to try to cover an air leak in space with your finger you can kiss your finger goodbye at the very least. And alcohol cools your body temp not vise versa the feeling of warmth is is only imaginary. Otherwise a good episode.
Okay, you pseduo-scientist brainiacs:

#1 - Space does not suck. Those holes in the ship were what, about the size of a pinhead (caused by "micro"-black holes)? The loss of air results from the difference in pressure between the inside of the ship (relatively high) versus outside (pretty close to zero). The air is blown out of the ship, not sucked. A finger could easily stop that leak without damage. Try this, put your finger over a small hole in a board, have your 200-pound friend stand on your finger. Would your finger be forced through the hole? No. And 200 pounds of friend is way more than the pressure being exerted by the few cubic meters of air in the shuttlepod.

#2 - When did they say that alcohol would raise their temp? In fact, they pretty much avoided drinking it until they were certain they were doomed, and by then who cares if the warmth is illusory or not?

#3 - On the hair growing after dying business, I think it's refreshing that people in the future will still be victimized by old wive's tales, as they are today. Also, remembering Trek history, the Earth had only recently recovered from WWIII (The Eugenic Wars), so it's very likely that a lot of knowledge has been lost. Besides, you're talking about an Engineer (and a rather "down-home" kind of guy, at that) commenting on medical issues. Seems entirely plausible to me.
Old 02-15-02, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid

Okay, you pseduo-scientist brainiacs:

#1 - Space does not suck. Those holes in the ship were what, about the size of a pinhead (caused by "micro"-black holes)? The loss of air results from the difference in pressure between the inside of the ship (relatively high) versus outside (pretty close to zero). The air is blown out of the ship, not sucked. A finger could easily stop that leak without damage. Try this, put your finger over a small hole in a board, have your 200-pound friend stand on your finger. Would your finger be forced through the hole? No. And 200 pounds of friend is way more than the pressure being exerted by the few cubic meters of air in the shuttlepod.

#2 - When did they say that alcohol would raise their temp? In fact, they pretty much avoided drinking it until they were certain they were doomed, and by then who cares if the warmth is illusory or not?

#3 - On the hair growing after dying business, I think it's refreshing that people in the future will still be victimized by old wive's tales, as they are today. Also, remembering Trek history, the Earth had only recently recovered from WWIII (The Eugenic Wars), so it's very likely that a lot of knowledge has been lost. Besides, you're talking about an Engineer (and a rather "down-home" kind of guy, at that) commenting on medical issues. Seems entirely plausible to me.
Now you've done it . I'd appreciate it if you refrained from exposing my ignorance. I do a good enough job of that on my own.

#1. I never said anything about space sucking. Thats more of a semantics issue anyway. Technically nothing sucks. I suppose we should inform Webster's to make a change in their next edition . As for the man standing on your finger thats not exactly a good metaphor. I'm sure you know the old boiled egg in a bottle trick? If you take a pealed boiled egg and try to stuff it into a bottle you cant do it . But if you light a small piece of paper and drop it in the bottle first. Then immediately put the egg on the bottle opening the subsequent drop in pressure inside the bottle after the flame goes out is enough to BLOW the egg into the bottle. They never made it clear the size of the holes but if they were microscopic I doubt they would lose air the rate that they were. At the very least I would think that they would begin hemorrhaging and would probably have a tough time removing their fingers. There is a report of an actual incident where an astronaut tore his glove on his suit in space. His skin sealed the hole which was about 1/8 of an inch and he bled out into space. Luckily for him his blood coagulated and sealed the puncture.

#2. I dont remember the exact quote but they made specific mention of the fact that the Bourbon would warm them up.

Another thing that bothered me was Tuckers reluctance to jettison and destroy the engines because they would be "dead in the water". Correct me if I'm wrong but if your traveling through a vacuum even without engines shouldnt your velocity remain constant? Newton's Laws of motion is pretty basic stuff even for a "pseduo-scientist brainiac" such as myself.

Last edited by Thrush; 02-15-02 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-15-02, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wizdar vs Numanoid part deux

Thrush, you mind if I help? He and I have crossed sliderules before.

Numanoid, “Okay, you pseduo-scientist brainiacs:” Ahem. Considering all the pseudo science you made up during our last encounter, you got a lot of stones looking down on others.

But no matter. Let’s try to start anew, shall we?

#1 – Space does not suck. Whether something is “blown out” or “sucked out” is a silly semantics game as neither is correct. Just because Data make the distinction doesn’t make it so (to coin a phrase). Remember, the morons who wrote his lines make up virtually the entire (pseudo) science in Trek.

If you want to be more correct, objects moving from one place to another due to a pressure differential are forced. An open bottle of a gas has equal pressure inside and out. Seal the bottle and decrease the outside pressure and there is a difference. Open the seal and the potential force inside the bottle is realized and action takes place until the inside and outside forces are equalized. It matters not whether the contents of the bottle are sucked out or blown out. (There is a more precise explanation, but requires an understanding of molecular physics.)

”A finger could easily stop that leak without damage.” Nope nope nope. Not only is the statement wrong, but your supporting example (as many you’ve tried the last time we butted heads) is inappropriate and doesn’t address the actual danger. I’ll leave it at that waiting for your rebuttal. Just realize that I’m talking about real world physics here as that’s the subject matter.

As usual, nothing personal here. I am not even attacking your ideas, just disagreeing with them. As long you don’t start inventing science out of wholecloth again, I’ll be happy to play along.

Suggest you read up on fluid dynamics.

Homework for Numanoid only: an air compressor tank is 1 foot in diameter and stands 3 feet tall. The steel tank is UL<super>®</super> rated for 250 psi, but previous testing on this model indicated it is safe up to 10,000 psi. [These are all hypothetical figures.] There is an automatic purge valve at the bottom to release condensation and lube oil, but it stops working and nobody notices. Power to the compressor is automatically (by timer) switched on and off at the start and end of each day.

Lately the workers have been complaining because their air pressure is frequently low. ShaggyPoo (the owner) finds out that it does seem low, but the compressor is running constantly now (unusual) and he calls for a repair guy. In the meantime, in spite of the fact that OSHA has a limit of 90 psi, Shaggy turns the pressure limit gauge (which works properly) to 120 psi (“Should be OK.”) and waits for the repair man. Turns out the repair guy can’t make it till the next day. das Mechanic (das Monkey’s brother) shows up to do the repair work and is killed when the compressor tank explodes.

Shaggy is now in jail for criminal negligence and the das family now owns the factory.

Why?

Originally posted by BT 12/7/01
Here we go again...

-BT

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.