DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Enterprise 2/13/02 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/183663-enterprise-2-13-02-a.html)

Patman 02-13-02 08:08 PM

Enterprise 2/13/02

OMG, this was a funny episode, definitely along the lines of the Odd Couple (for Tripp and Malcolm) lost in space.

I was totally LOL when Malcolm was dreaming that T/Pol was coming onto him (Stinky!), and when he was drunk and blabbering on about T'Pol and her nice bum.

das Monkey 02-13-02 08:55 PM

I'll keep this post short, so as not to jinx anything, but by my count, that's 4 in a row.

das

mikehunt 02-13-02 09:02 PM

great episode
Spoiler:
so glad it didn't envolve some sort of parallel dimension or something, like I expected

Kudama 02-13-02 10:48 PM

I cannot believe that a Star Trek writer would fall for the old wives’ tale of your hair and nails growing after death (the skin shrinks) or that people in this hard technological age would still commonly believe it.

Otherwise…yup, 4 in a row.

I love the optimist/pessimist dynamic.

oblio 02-13-02 10:53 PM

Am I correct with my thinking that next week there isn't a new episode? There was no coming attraction! Grrrr Anyone know what the story is? Is season 1 over?

das Monkey 02-13-02 10:56 PM

Originally posted by oblio
Am I correct with my thinking that next week there isn't a new episode? There was no coming attraction! Grrrr Anyone know what the story is? Is season 1 over?
Yeah ... it's been cancelled by UPN ... too bad, because it was starting to get good.

das

Seriously, new episode next week and at least 5 more.

AJW 02-13-02 11:03 PM

Am I the only one who thought Malccolm turned into Davey Jones from the Monkees during the drinking scene?

Between Enterprise and 24, I'm a happy tv viewer.

Kudama 02-13-02 11:09 PM

I just finished watching it and wondered if anyone else had the beginning of the show mangled by the techs in the booth.
On our station we went from part way into the credits to The Simpsons then flash cut to already part way into the show then flash cut into the 20th Century Fox finale to the Simpsons credits, went into an anti Rioerdan commercial then flash cut to 5 seconds of the show before the theme song.

Did this happen to just the Bay Area? It was pretty frustrating.

Dave Scarpa 02-13-02 11:11 PM

Hey Don't Forget to add Smallville to that list.

Tonight's Enterprise was very good in an Anti-Voyager sort of way

Good Character development- No Techno Babble-No Reset Button- And a good ending.

MvRojo 02-13-02 11:49 PM

Originally posted by Kudama
I just finished watching it and wondered if anyone else had the beginning of the show mangled by the techs in the booth.
On our station we went from part way into the credits to The Simpsons then flash cut to already part way into the show then flash cut into the 20th Century Fox finale to the Simpsons credits, went into an anti Rioerdan commercial then flash cut to 5 seconds of the show before the theme song.

Did this happen to just the Bay Area? It was pretty frustrating.

Yeah, my mom and sister both called me to tell me that it was messed up at the beginning (they tape it there for me). But up here in Davis it was fine, so it was just a UPN44 thing.

And to comment on the post near the top, next week is a rerun, but the 27th is new. And don't worry, there are still 10 more episodes this season.

Matt

mikehunt 02-14-02 01:01 AM

no technical problems this week, but I've had them in the past
the episode with the frieghter had problems at the beginning when they're throwing the football. no sound until after the intro credits

dave955 02-14-02 03:27 AM

I had some kind of cable hiccup toward the beginning, so I wanted to ask:
Spoiler:
what made the shuttlecraft crew think the ship rubble on the asteroid was Enterprise? was the whole point they saw this wreckage and just assumed it was Enterprise because Enterprise was supposed to be in the area? did they see the missing bay door on the asteroid?
i was a little confused the entire way because it wasn't clear to me how or why the crew reached the conclusion they had.

Thrush 02-14-02 05:02 AM

Originally posted by Kudama
I cannot believe that a Star Trek writer would fall for the old wives’ tale of your hair and nails growing after death (the skin shrinks) or that people in this hard technological age would still commonly believe it.

Not only that but sealing a pressure leak with their fingers?! Thats right out of a loony tunes cartoon and just about as realistic. If you were dumb enough to try to cover an air leak in space with your finger you can kiss your finger goodbye at the very least. And alcohol cools your body temp not vise versa the feeling of warmth is is only imaginary. Otherwise a good episode. I should probably just relax and enjoy the show but when your watching sci-fi you at least expect them to get basic science correct.

grunter 02-14-02 09:20 AM

Originally posted by Thrush
Not only that but sealing a pressure leak with their fingers?! Thats right out of a loony tunes cartoon and just about as realistic. If you were dumb enough to try to cover an air leak in space with your finger you can kiss your finger goodbye at the very least.
And then to plug those leaks with stale mashed potatoes? "Enterprise" sure plays fast and loose with that depressurization stuff. Wasn't there a slow leak in some cargo bay just weeks ago? Not to mention the sky-diving Suliban.

Otherwise it was refreshingly non-Trek. I still think they're producing episodes "on the cheap." While there were no literal caves or flashlights this episode, generally all the "action" took place in the confined, frost-encrusted quarters of the shuttlepod - with an oil lamp briefly for lighting. The series' unofficial "theme" therefore continues . . .

Wizdar 02-14-02 09:46 AM

Thrush, Kudama, grunter where the hell do ya think ya are, guys? Accurate science and Star Trek? What were you thinking?

Patman, I was actually thinking of Grant and Hepburn or Tracy and Hepburn for some reason, but Odd Couple is perfect. Unfortunately, the dream sequence was too obvious for me.
Spoiler:
I thought you were done using spoilers? :)

mkehunt, I would have bet on a time thingie with the Suliban or somebody setting things straight. There is no truth in advertising when it comes to trailers/previews. [BTW, Yesterday’s Enterprise plays YET AGAIN Friday, in case you didn’t get my other message. ;)]

dave955 (and others?) The Grab was when they declared the wreckage to be Enterprise, as presented in the previews. Yes, we are expected to believe that, without sensors, they were able to positively identify the wreckage. Prolly the bay door managed to survive, land intact and with the huge lettering (that we’ve never seen before) facing up. What surprises me is that there wasn’t an “explanation for the audience”:

[N’Pol and Archer in shuttle pod]
N’Pol: I’ve located the bay door.
Archer (whines): How can you possibly know that’s ours? There’s tons of mangled wreckage down there!
N’Pol turns to make eye contact, holds a steely glare for a long moment
N’Pol: It has “Enterprise” in large letters on it.
N’Pol sneers
Archer: Shore glad I had Tripp paint that last week!

It seems that the writers [sic] are finally taking Writing 101, and they’re currently going into “characterization” in depth. I personally get into a show a lot more when the characters have some kind of depth, and there is some reason for us to care about them (or hate them, as the case may be). GOOD writers can do this by introducing aspects of the characters while they normally interact with others. It’s not necessary for them to devote an entire episode solely for this purpose and I consider it heavy-handed and lazy.

That being said, I did enjoy the episode. Now let’s find something else for them to do.

Or do we need an episode with N’Pol and Hoshi trapped in a cave for an entire show? -eek--eek-

Hehe! Tripp and Malcolm trapped in a [cave]shuttle! Hehe. And, yes, flashlights! Hehe.

das, not much to say? WTF? :lol:

das Monkey 02-14-02 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Wizdar
das, not much to say? WTF? :lol:
Shh ... don't tell anyone I'm watching. If they find out, the show will start to suck (or get cancelled) like everything else has this season. :)

das

Patman 02-14-02 10:03 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey

Shh ... don't tell anyone I'm watching. If they find out, the show will start to suck (or get cancelled) like everything else has this season. :)

das

Dammit, some moderator please delete this thread before it's too late!! :)

Wizdar 02-14-02 10:11 AM

Originally posted by Patman
Dammit, some moderator please delete this thread before it's too late!! :)
Aw, jeez! We're in trouble, now that the truth is out!

And he Tivoed Rangers three times...

AND he's got the Nielson books to prove it!

Somebody stop das!

das Monkey 02-14-02 10:20 AM

das

Who the hell are you? Mods, someone is posting under my name. I am not and will not be watching <I>Enterprise</I>. Please silence this imposter!

das

Wizdar 02-14-02 10:44 AM

Who the hell are you? Mods, someone is posting under my name. I am not and will not be watching <I>Enterprise</I>. Please silence this imposter!

das

Yah, right. And you're never watching Sci Fi Channel again. -rolleyes-

[Wizdar checks listings...]

Never mind... :(

das Monkey 02-14-02 11:11 AM

Yah, right. And you're never watching Sci Fi Channel again. -rolleyes-

[Wizdar checks listings...]

Never mind... :(

I have stayed strong so far. I had to bootleg <I>The Chronicle</I> and <I>Strange World</I> from the Internet, but I have yet to change the channel and will continue to stage my own stubborn personal boycott that will have no effect on anything.

das

Wizdar 02-14-02 11:26 AM

...that will have no effect on anything.

das

Word!

My Dad was of the opinion that "they" knew what were our faves and would cancel them just to piss us off...

Where do you get this stuff on the net? Is the quality any good? Just got a DVD+RW I haven't had a chance to try out yet.

das Monkey 02-14-02 11:47 AM

Where do you get this stuff on the net? Is the quality any good? Just got a DVD+RW I haven't had a chance to try out yet.
Um ... well ... I was just joking, see ... yeah that's the ticket.

But if I weren't, I've <I>heard</I> that you can get them from alt.binaries.multimedia or #abm-tv on Undernet.

Not that I know that for a fact or anything.

Re: Quality, depends on the encoder. Some are great. Some are crap. I'd recommend C00Ki3 and Muffle. There are some lame "groups" of encoders, and those are hit or miss. Typically genre shows get the most talented encoders, and often one can download equal or higher quality than their own signal.

das

G. Noel Gross 02-14-02 11:49 AM

Guess I'm in the minority. I'd rate it dead last of the season, but even a bad Enterprise episode is still pretty good. That was a emergency-break Next Generation ending if I ever saw one. How much "characterization" of Malcolm do we need this season?

Slumbering Fist 02-14-02 01:45 PM

I really enjoyed it, except for the drunk bit which was as cheesball as a Foster Brooks or Dudley Moore routine.

While I am tiring of the small scale lack of action the series is leaning towards... I then consider how amping up the fx and action didnt save Voyager, and how annoying the technobabble that comes with overplaying the scifi cna get- I guess I realize one should be grateful they are taking the subdued approach and trying to concentrate on character.

Besides, I like Malcom (bad drunk acting aside) and he's a good loner/outsider Trek figure.