TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC Overtaken By 7 Year Olds

Old 02-09-02, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

NBC Overtaken By 7 Year Olds

If you watched the mess that was their Olympic coverage this evening, you know that Jim McKay died 3 days ago and was briefly reanimated with some magic potion consisting of 90% alcohol just for the Opening Ceremonies. Katie and Costas were constantly talking at the same time, and McKay was just rambling in oblivion all night long. I heard production people at least 5 times, and more than once we heard Costas yelling, "What am I doing now?"

But I watched. And all while I watched I saw ads for two things: Costas and Katie on Leno LIVE ... and Mark Paul Gosselaar on Conan. So, I stay up and watch Leno, and who's not there? Costas and Katie. But never fear, because Conan is next. And as Leno's show finishes up, he turns to the camera and informs us that Conan will not be shown after his show. Huh? Well that sucks. And then what do I see? Conan.

Does anyone over there have a clue? It's bad enough that we have to suffer through two weeks of annoying NBC promos for all the mid-season replacements (knowing full well that one week after the olympics we'll see all those great "Last week ... 22 million viewers tuned in to [insert show promoted non-stop through two weeks of Olympics here]" promos).

das
Old 02-09-02, 02:04 AM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was pretty funny when Leno ended by saying there's no Conan tonight and then bingo....Conan's Show begins
Old 02-09-02, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Leno is a dumbass!
Old 02-09-02, 11:45 AM
Banned

What was the deal with all the terrorist talk that Bob Costas brought up during
certain countries on the parade? Especially IRAN, saying along the lines that
President Bush calls this country the access of terrorists. WTF? Yes Bob, everyone
in Iran works for the taliban.
Old 02-09-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Snake Plissken
What was the deal with all the terrorist talk that Bob Costas brought up during
certain countries on the parade? Especially IRAN, saying along the lines that
President Bush calls this country the access of terrorists. WTF? Yes Bob, everyone
in Iran works for the taliban.
Bush has indeed called Iran part of the Axis of Terror.......so the idiot in this case is not Costas, but Bush.
Old 02-09-02, 03:11 PM
Banned

Yeah, but im saying why the hell would you even bring up it during the parade?
Old 02-09-02, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Or during a State of the Union address??
Old 02-09-02, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by clemente

Bush has indeed called Iran part of the Axis of Terror.......so the idiot in this case is not Costas, but Bush.
http://www.ucomics.com/tedrall/viewt...=P&uc_comic=tr
Old 02-09-02, 05:27 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Exactly - I thought the Olympics were about peace and sportsmanship. Not an opportunity to tell all the people who don't watch the news who they should be hating.
Old 02-10-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: NBC Overtaken By 7 Year Olds

Originally posted by das Monkey
Does anyone over there have a clue?
NBC has never been able to handle doing the olympics. They're morons who don't have much of a history with sports programming trying to do sports programming. The best, IMHO was always ABC when they turned it over to their Wide World of Sports crew, who actually knew who the athletes were and what was going on in the world of sports as it applied to the athletes and events. That was a long time ago, though.

If you remember back to the late 80's (Was it '88? I get olympic years messed up now that they're every 2 years) when NBC decided it would be a great idea to have only very basic coverage on NBC, and have the real coverage on 3 special pay-per-view channels known as Red, White, and Blue? Not many people bothered getting those channels and many cable systems didn't even offer them. What happened was not much of the olympics were actually seen, and they ended up with a lot of angry viewers.
Old 02-10-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: NBC Overtaken By 7 Year Olds

Originally posted by renaldow

If you remember back to the late 80's (Was it '88? I get olympic years messed up now that they're every 2 years) when NBC decided it would be a great idea to have only very basic coverage on NBC, and have the real coverage on 3 special pay-per-view channels known as Red, White, and Blue? Not many people bothered getting those channels and many cable systems didn't even offer them. What happened was not much of the olympics were actually seen, and they ended up with a lot of angry viewers.
It was the '92 Barcelona Games and as badly as it failed back then I think it would be an awesome success today, with the wide spread popularity of sattelite services and digital cable.

And NBC has been stumbling badly these past few days.....as cool as it is that they've been using "Cherry Lips" by Garbage, why has it started playing in the middle of competitions?? Announcers heard on camera saying they don't whats going on....and where was the speed skating announcer booth, a wind tunnel?

And as much as they suck, I'm an Olympic's whore, I'm still watching.
Old 02-10-02, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Re: Re: Re: NBC Overtaken By 7 Year Olds

They've been playing Garbage?
sweet
too bad I've been watching the better coverage on CBC
today NBC had NBA stuff
MSNBC: news, can't really fault that
CNBC: infomercials, WTF

Originally posted by clemente

It was the '92 Barcelona Games and as badly as it failed back then I think it would be an awesome success today, with the wide spread popularity of sattelite services and digital cable.

And NBC has been stumbling badly these past few days.....as cool as it is that they've been using "Cherry Lips" by Garbage, why has it started playing in the middle of competitions?? Announcers heard on camera saying they don't whats going on....and where was the speed skating announcer booth, a wind tunnel?

And as much as they suck, I'm an Olympic's whore, I'm still watching.
Old 02-10-02, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: NBC Overtaken By 7 Year Olds

Originally posted by mikehunt
They've been playing Garbage?
sweet
too bad I've been watching the better coverage on CBC
today NBC had NBA stuff
MSNBC: news, can't really fault that
CNBC: infomercials, WTF

CNBC: I really think NBC should and could get away with all day coverage on the weekends (infomercials can't bring in that much cash) But there playing hockey now, six hours worth today.
Old 02-11-02, 01:13 AM
Banned

Why the heck aren't the Olympics being aired live?
Old 02-11-02, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why the heck aren't the Olympics being aired live?
To create drama for the primetime shows? I don't really know. I'm also an Olympic whore, so I'll watch no matter what, but it doesn't make sense.

At least they're showing some other events like cross-country skiing and ski-jumping. I'll admit most people probably don't fiond this interesting, but I do. I really enjoy the off-beat sports you never see on TV like bobsled, cross-county skiing, speed skating, and so forth. A lot of time it seems you never see anything the US isn't good at. Heck, I'd love to watch a curling match. Reminds me a lot of bocce which I think is fun.

Too bad the one sports they show all the time I hate to watch, and that's figure skating. At least they have tons of hockey on CNBC

P.S. If you're a hockey fan, doesn't it suck to see Slovakia get screwed by the system?
Old 02-11-02, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

NBC
Old 02-11-02, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was peeved that there was no Olympic coverage on Sunday afternoon.
Old 02-11-02, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Patman
I was peeved that there was no Olympic coverage on Sunday afternoon.
That was just sad. Over the past 5 years, NBC has descended into a sad and pathetic network. Raise your hand if you already hate Watching Ellie and Leap of Faith.

das
Old 02-11-02, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wasn't all too excited about the opening ceremonies, so I skipped them, watched some movies on Saturday, and had planned on seeing something, anything, on Sunday w/r/t the Olympics, and I was not enjoying watching some crapfest about the NBA player's wives and their fashion show with Ahmad Rashad and Summer Sanders (though she's easy on the yes).
Old 02-11-02, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Patman
I wasn't all too excited about the opening ceremonies, so I skipped them, watched some movies on Saturday, and had planned on seeing something, anything, on Sunday w/r/t the Olympics, and I was not enjoying watching some crapfest about the NBA player's wives and their fashion show with Ahmad Rashad and Summer Sanders (though she's easy on the yes).
Summer Sanders has had at least 50 silly little NBC jobs that would make for some of the worst minutes in television history if it were anyone else but her. She's well-spoken, attractive, and has a good on-screen presence. But why she's doing an expose on some small town farmer's favorite recipe for pecan pie during an episode of Inside NBA Stuff is beyond me.

Oh, and Ahmad Rashad is wasted space.

das
Old 02-11-02, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

NBC's coverage is no more boneheaded than CBS's four years ago. I'll never forget the 98 Opening Ceremonies where they arranged a global performance via satellite of Beethoven's 9th Symphony using four different choirs. The announcers hyped it up for 20 some minutes, and 5 minutes into the concert, they went to commercial. When they came back, they talked over the "Ode to Joy" segment so the whole segment was basically pointless.
Old 02-11-02, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey

Raise your hand if you already hate Watching Ellie and Leap of Faith.

das
Agreed!
Old 02-11-02, 03:14 PM
Mod Emeritus

Horrible, horrible coverage. Bob Costas in an embarrassment to humanity and Katie Curic needs a full frontal lobotomy, oh wait, she already got one...

During the opening ceremony:

Costas: Here's Iran, GWB called them part of the Axis of Terror, the rest of the Axis of Terror decided not to show up, but the crowd is clapping for them anyway.

Curic: Yeah they really are polite to them, that's nice to see.

Costas: Here is India, they are helping us as part of alliance against terror.

Costas: Here's the UK, they are our allies on the war against terror.

blah, blah, blah,

Now NBC isn't showing us live coverage just so they can boost their ratings. That's god dam bull sh1t! I hate you NBC!!
Old 02-11-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
and all the -stan countries that border Afghanistan that let us put troops/planes in their country. He mad mention of all of those too

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Horrible, horrible coverage. Bob Costas in an embarrassment to humanity and Katie Curic needs a full frontal lobotomy, oh wait, she already got one...

During the opening ceremony:

Costas: Here's Iran, GWB called them part of the Axis of Terror, the rest of the Axis of Terror decided not to show up, but the crowd is clapping for them anyway.

Curic: Yeah they really are polite to them, that's nice to see.

Costas: Here is India, they are helping us as part of alliance against terror.

Costas: Here's the UK, they are our allies on the war against terror.

blah, blah, blah,

Now NBC isn't showing us live coverage just so they can boost their ratings. That's god dam bull sh1t! I hate you NBC!!