TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ally McBeal 2/5/02

Old 02-05-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ally McBeal 2/5/02

Hmm...

I'm not so sure I like the thought of Ally having a daughter....I don't know....something about the way the daughter looks that I just don't like. Geez, the writers must be getting really desperate...

It was good to see Fish litigating for a change...and being good at it.

Nell needs to be written off the show already. It puzzles me why she is even on the show anymore since she never has any stories revolving around her and she seems to only be in scenes during the meetings in the conference room and in the bar downstairs.

Regarding the preview for next week:

Spoiler:
When John Cage offers to make Ally a partner, why did she say, Cage and McBeal? Isn't Fish a partner too? Is he getting booted? That would suck because I like his character.

Old 02-05-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fill me in, please, on how ally is a mom?
Old 02-05-02, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wait, I stopped watching the show a couple months ago.. how exactly does Ally end up with a daughter?
Old 02-05-02, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by suziq999
Fill me in, please, on how ally is a mom?
10 years ago, Ally donated eggs to a fertility experiment. The company was supposed to inform her if those eggs were actually used, but because of a clerical error, she never found out.

The episode begins with a 10 year old girl who has come to her in search of her "mother." The father who raised her has recently passed away, and her Aunt who has to raise her now (the hot Amy Pietz) is a struggling singer (gee, how odd), and she fears that she will be unable to care for her full-time now that her father has passed. The Aunt shows up later that day unaware that her daughter had taken off to see Ally. The story proceeds from there. In the end, Ally sees that the void in her life that she's been trying to fill for so many seasons isn't because of a man, but because of her maternal instincts. An arrangement is worked out where the girl will stay with Ally most of the time.

I don't know if I particularly like the direction the show has gone, but it still makes me smile, and it always makes me laugh. Plus, I'm a huge fan of the Rat Pack, and it seems like every episode gives us at least one Frank, Dean, or Sammy song. Along with Boston Public, it makes me laugh more than it doesn't, so I'm happy with it.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 02-05-02 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-05-02, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, the details might be a little off since I was washing dishes during the episode, but here's the general idea:

Supposedly, Ally had an egg frozen like 10 years ago (just in case or something). The hospital/clinic/whatever accidentally either gave her egg to somebody for fertilization or fertilized it on purpose (sorry, I can't remember which ). Whatever the case, the clinic failed to notify Ally (which they were supposed to have done), so the girl shows up at Ally's door at the beginning of the episode.

Ally thinks the girl is a Girl Scout selling cookies, but the girl says that she's her daughter. Apparently, her father died a few months ago and the girl (who lived in Cleveland...isn't that where Robert Downey Jr's character went? Geez, the writers must love Cleveland) tracked Ally down. Ally confirmed with the clinic that the girl was indeed Ally's offspring. I can't remember if the girl (sorry, I can't remember her name) either ran away from home to track down Ally or not, but her aunt showed up...apparently, the aunt had been taking care of her and loved her deeply...but the aunt is like a lounge singer or something and hadn't been home at night for like 2 months...so she hadn't been taking care of the girl like a mom should.

Anyway, the girl wanted to live with Ally in Boston and Ally and the aunt finally agreed that Ally might be able to care for the girl better than the aunt....so now Ally has a daughter to care for. The girl is about 10, I think...and since Ally said that she hadn't earned the right to be called "mom" yet, the girl said that she would just call her "Ally" for now.

Sorry that I couldn't provide better details...but that's the gist of it.

Old 02-05-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They need to ditch the kid. This will be remembered for when Ally totally jumped the shark.
Old 02-05-02, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay, end the show now. ;-)
Old 02-05-02, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I seriously doubt it'll be renewed for next season. I noticed all Jon Bon Jovi did was act as a pseudo thearipst/babysitter for Ally's daughter. Doesn't he have something else to do aside from playing Poker and Monopoly?

Spoiler:
When Ally becomes partner, I think one of the first things she does is fire Jenny and Glenn. They really wern't give much of a chance, and well, all Glenn does is act pretty and sing. Nice voice, and he has amazing teeth, but his character did nothing. At all. I hope they go out with a bang, at least.
Old 02-05-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Such a shame. The show was so damned good with Robert Downey last year. Well, if they go out this year, I hope they manage to reunite everyone who's ever been on the show. Bring Billy and Georgia back! And Judge Whipper, and Lisa Nicole Carson.
Old 02-06-02, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Ally McBeal started to suck the second Billy died. Completely lost it's direction.

Although I did enjoy the Anne Heche character for a while.
Old 02-06-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by freedexter

Spoiler:
When Ally becomes partner, I think one of the first things she does is fire Jenny and Glenn. They really wern't give much of a chance, and well, all Glenn does is act pretty and sing. Nice voice, and he has amazing teeth, but his character did nothing. At all. I hope they go out with a bang, at least.
Spoiler:
That would make sense since we know that they were getting written off the show.

Old 02-06-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tesiae
Such a shame. The show was so damned good with Robert Downey last year. Well, if they go out this year, I hope they manage to reunite everyone who's ever been on the show. Bring Billy and Georgia back! And Judge Whipper, and Lisa Nicole Carson.
Psst....Billy's dead.

Old 02-06-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

zeus: That hasn't stopped him from appearing to Ally.
Old 02-06-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

zeus: That hasn't stopped him from appearing to Ally.
I know....but I thought you meant to bring him back as a recurring character (alive or as a ghost)....I don't think that would be such a good idea.

Old 02-06-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How much make-up does Bon Jovi wear on the show? Has to be more than Ally.
Old 02-06-02, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

zeus: Oh when I said "bring everyone back," I meant for the Series Finale, should it happen this season.
Old 02-06-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fox does not cancel their shows until they have squeezed every ounce of creativity out of them and their ratings are have become non-existent. Only when every fan has abandoned the show will they cancel a previously successful series.

See The X-Files, Married With Children, and coming soon: The Simpsons
Old 02-06-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

zeus: Oh when I said "bring everyone back," I meant for the Series Finale, should it happen this season.
That would be cool. thumbsup: