Old 07-15-01, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts
the ONE and ONLY - REAL WORLD XI thread

news from the taping of Real World 11 - Chicago

Shooting a little too much 'Real World'
July 11, 2001
BY FRANK MAIN CRIME REPORTER

Matt Bennett was walking to a Wicker Park bar early Tuesday when he spotted a lot of police activity outside MTV's ''The Real World'' set.

Bennett thought the flashing lights and detectives were part of the show. But when he walked up to a cop to find out what was happening, he learned the real world had met ''The Real World.''

''I was told there was a dead body in a car parked there,'' said Bennett, 27. ''The cops said he was killed in a gang shooting.''

Two men were gunned down about 2:20 a.m. in a 1987 Oldsmobile in a Burger King parking lot at 1482 N. Milwaukee. A woman in the car then drove through the neighborhood looking for police.

Several blocks away, she found two uniformed, off-duty Chicago officers working security for MTV's reality series ''The Real World'' near North and Winchester, where the show reportedly is being shot in an apartment building.

The officers called for an ambulance and 40-year-old Oscar Guttierez was taken to Cook County Hospital, where he was in critical condition with a head wound. The other man, Marcus Rodriguez, 21, of the 5100 block of West Grace, died of a bullet wound to the head, said Area 5 police Sgt. Frank Cappitelli.

''They got a little more real world than they expected,'' Cappitelli said.

''The Real World,'' in its 10th season, follows a cast of young people as they go about life in an apartment while a camera crew films virtually every move. Other sets were in Los Angeles, Hawaii, Miami, San Francisco and New Orleans.

Chicago is the latest location, though a spokesman for the production company would not comment on whether filming has begun. Bob Hudgins of the Illinois Film Office said, ''They are just about ready to start.''

The ''The Real World'' spokesman stressed the show was not involved in the slaying. ''It's horrible,'' he said, refusing to comment further.

Sean Ramos, a 20-year resident of Wicker Park, said he thinks the neighborhood has grown safer in recent years with gentrification. But ''The Real World'' cast members will have to keep their eyes open: In the last two weeks there have been three robberies, an attempted robbery and five batteries in the area, including a strong-armed holdup on their block July 1, records show.

In keeping with the shroud of secrecy MTV tries to put over production, a spokesman threatened to cut off Chicago Sun-Times' access to cast members after the show is filmed if the location were revealed.

''They want a lot more privacy than normal feature films,'' said Hudgins, whose agency helped the production company scout locations.

Cappitelli said police were continuing to search for the shooter, who ran away. The victims were supposed to pick up at least $3,000 in cash in the parking lot when they were shot, said Pat Camden, a police spokesman.

''They went to collect some type of debt,'' Cappitelli said. ''What kind of debt we're still investigating.''

The location of the ''The Real World'' apartment is a poorly kept secret in the area, which straddles the Wicker Park and Bucktown neighborhoods. Reporters for Internet fan sites and an online magazine were staked out across the street waiting for sightings of cast members, who were expected Tuesday.

Bennett said he's excited about the show.

''I'm going to hook up with one of the women on the show,'' said the regional sales manager for a biotech company.

Story link:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-shot11.html
Other coverage:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/fmk-nws-shot10.html
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/metro14.html
Old 07-16-01, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

in the Letters To The Editor

Reality check for 'The Real World'
July 16, 2001

If the producers of MTV's ''The Real World'' (the most inaccurate title for any TV series ever) want a taste of the real Chicago to go with the recent urban gang violence they've encountered [''Shooting a little too much 'Real World,' '' news story, July 11], I have a few suggestions:

A city building inspector could come by and point out the numerous code violations in their dwelling . . . and they could leave some unattended cash in an envelope by the door for him.

The cast and crew could get stuck in an air-conditionless Red Line L car, delayed underground in 95-degree heat, with no company except a homeless guy who hasn't bathed in six weeks, and that robot voice endlessly repeating ''Your attention please. We are being delayed due to . . .''

The cast members could all get their cars booted.

The cast members could buy counterfeit bleacher tickets from a scalper outside Wrigley Field, and then drown their sorrows in cans of warm, overpriced Old Style at Murphy's Bleachers.

Or, they could go to a Sox game (no trouble getting tickets for that!) and then get the living hipness beaten out of them in Armour Square Park.

They could all break their fingers playing 16-inch softball for the first time in their lives. Or they could try to wear gloves and get the living hipness beaten out of them again.

They could try to get a pothole on North Avenue filled without paying anyone off.

The possibilities are almost endless . . .

Bill Savage, Rogers Park
http://www.suntimes.com/output/lette...dt-vox16a.html
Old 07-16-01, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Reality check for 'The Real World' ... hehehe

So they're in Chicago, huh? Maybe I should give them a visit ...

Old 07-22-01, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, my probation officer doesn't let me out of 'Other'

The Real World house is at North and Damen. Just east of Damen on North Ave. It's right next to the Currency Exchange and has a red painted door.
Old 07-22-01, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: the ONE and ONLY - REAL WORLD XI thread

Originally posted by GuessWho
[B]
Two men were gunned down about 2:20 a.m. in a 1987 Oldsmobile in a Burger King parking lot at 1482 N. Milwaukee. A woman in the car then drove through the neighborhood looking for police.
FYI -- This Burger King is right next to the record shop in High Fidelity. Don't be suprised if you see some similar scenes in Real World.
Old 07-22-01, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Just saw it on the Channel 5 News, the Real World house was the target of an vandalsim....hehehe...I gotta drive by there just to check it out.

It's actually right near my old neighborhood...you, except back then, there weren't as many rich white people there, just the poor Hispanics.
Old 07-23-01, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by clemente
Just saw it on the Channel 5 News, the Real World house was the target of an vandalsim....hehehe...I gotta drive by there just to check it out.

It's actually right near my old neighborhood...you, except back then, there weren't as many rich white people there, just the poor Hispanics.
I saw the news too... looks like the house gets a good crowd of protesters outside on Fri and Sat nights. They also "vandalized" the sidewalk with chalk, writing "What is real?"

I don't understand the protests. They're angry that the show is "not depicting a true depiction of the neighborhood." So, I guess carrying picket signs and colored chalk is what they're really about.

Listen up, this is not a documentary about the culture and history of North & Damen -- it's entertainment. it's about the people in the house getting along, not your damn_street.

On a side now, my el train has a stop RIGHT THERE.. if a Real Worls girl boards a train, I'm hookin' up.... I'll be famous yet!!!

Whatever.
Old 07-23-01, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two men were gunned down about 2:20 a.m. in a 1987 Oldsmobile in a Burger King parking lot
OMFG someone had guns in Chicago? But ... but ... guns are ILLEGAL to carry in Chicago! We should pass more laws, that criminals aren't allowed to have guns either. Yeah that's the answer.
Old 07-23-01, 09:47 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by GuessWho

On a side now, my el train has a stop RIGHT THERE.. if a Real Worls girl boards a train, I'm hookin' up.... I'll be famous yet!!!

You have now, once again, entered THE SHAGGY ZONE!
Old 10-11-01, 11:58 AM
Cool New Member

MTVs Real World 11 Spoiler

Yesterday I was surfing imdb and noticed that if you look up the present and past Real World casts, you'll see 7 names listed under the NY cast, with " (Chicago) " written next to them. So I'm assuming they've already casted and started taping the next season in Chi-Town.
Old 10-11-01, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, i think there was a thread a while back about how the new house was actually located near a kinda bad part of town and so there were shootings (gun) going on nearby.
Old 10-11-01, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes, they're filming here in Chicago. There have been lots of stories about them, where they're working, people protesting them, etc.

Check http://www.suntimes.com
Old 10-11-01, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The main reason for filming now vs. later was mainly due to the weather now vs. later in the year.
Old 01-16-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Real World 11 - Chicago

I'll bet I was the only here that watched the season opener for The Real World - Chicago, which was shot in the summer months so that they would get some decent warm weather shots of Chicago because it would be not such fun during the winter months.

The new cast:

Aneesa - a bisexual/lesbian female of African descent from Philadelphia who doesn't have a problem going around the house in the nude. Her roommate Theo finds her very sexy.

Theo - a horny male of African descent from Riverside, California (he's not too keen on male homosexuals). He rooms with Aneesa and really want to hook up with her, but she's having nothing of it, though she regrettably showered with him in the "communal" showers of the house.

Kyle - a recent Princeton grad who is from the Chicago area, and has the hots for Keri. He does look like he came out the 1940's with chiseled clean-cut looks.

Keri - a southern lass from New Orleans with very kissable lips and has the hots for Kyle.

Cara - a girl who is always in a relationship, broke up with her last boyfriend to come to Chicago. Seems grounded, but might be a little flaky/creative.

Chris - an artist from Brockton, Massachusetts who's also hesitant in "coming up" initially with the roommate about his homosexuality because he didn't want to be labelled "the gay guy", but he has seemed to bond with Aneesa who came out almost immediately while all of the roommate where in the hot tub introducing themselves. He's also a recovering alcoholic.

Tonya - a small town girl from Walla Walla, Washington who is head over hells in love with her boyfriend, is a nurse in training, and it's alluded that she leaves the house early because she can't handle the diversity of the roommates (has little experience being around African Americans), and probably becomes love-sick. She has a nice rack, though.

From the preview clips for the rest of the season, there's probably quite a few explosive moments in the house.

What's really funny is how MTV is really trying to spice up the sex angle with plenty of spots for nudity (fuzzed out), and get this, their jobs for the summer is to be life guards! The Real World Meets Baywatch - In Chicago.

One more thing: I got tired of the extensive use of the crane-camera outside the building for their house.

After an hour so far, I don't really think much of the cast for this season.
Old 01-16-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched it.

The cast seems to already have their pals and suspicions. I am sure some fights are going to break out.

MTV sure is playing up the sex. They even put in a shower for two people and yep there was a lot of nudity and people in swinsuits / underwear. Tonya needs to be in more of these scenes. They even had sex books there too.
Old 01-16-02, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is it just me, or does Tonya's rack looked to be paid for by her rich boyfriend? She was a foster care baby, so she's got abandonment issues, and mother issues.
Old 01-16-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tonya is on the phone too much. More bathroom scenes please However, they probably are paid for by him heh. Maybe she is hanging on to him (on the phone all the time) so she doesn't lose his $$$
Old 01-16-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched the show....Aneesa is a freekin' exhibitionist..and a teese.!!

Kari and Kyle will likely hook up to some extent...
Tonya...WOW!! Boo-ya, nice Uh, um...bathing suit..
Old 01-16-02, 04:42 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
It's sitting on my tivo waiting for me to watch it, which likely won't be until the weekend, I was amazed at how quick they had the new season on after the noo yawk one
Old 01-16-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

seems like it will be a good season, kari is the hottest girl on there
Old 01-16-02, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
You know.....funny how that one hour so well encapsulated my 22 years in Chicago...hehehe.

Whatever, the chicks are hot, unless the show sucks major ass, I'll watch. Doesn't someone always say they're leaving in the promos after the first week?
Old 01-16-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently the residents of the nabe they shot in knew TRW was there and EVERY NIGHT staged some sort of protest and made noise. MANY restaurants in the area refused to allow shooting, people refused to sign releases if captured on camera, everyone was really hostile.
The nabe has recently undergone gentrification and the residents didn't want to see it become the new Spring Break destination.
RW has not been good since Hawaii, IMHO.
I'll watch it, but I missed it on Tuesday.
Too many blondes this year.
BTW, Bunim wanted to shitcan the series after NY, but MTV backed the money truck up and they shot this one, quickie style. It may be the last...
mini
Old 01-16-02, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah hawaii was my favorite season, great casting on that one
Old 01-16-02, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree also, Hawaii was one of the best there was.
Old 01-17-02, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hawaii was the one with Ruthie and Tech???

I liked the show. Chris mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm but the commercials are entirely too long.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.