Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Will The Ellen Show get canned?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Will The Ellen Show get canned?

It is pretty close to the 100 mark on rankings and that is never a good sign. I love this show, but sadly I may be on of only 10 people accross the country watching it.
Old 01-19-02, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like the show. I thought I saw somewhere that it was actually doing fairly well in the ratings. Guess not. Hope it sticks around.
Old 01-20-02, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I also like this show. (and I really pretty much hate every network sit-com currently on). I hope it sticks around.
Old 01-20-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Its in the 100's, but cbs chopped that up to the time they were showing it. CBS enjoys the show enough to give it some time to improve itself. Besides, cbs never cancels things like other networks. so it shouldn't be given the axe anytime soon
Old 01-20-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The show isn't that bad, it has gotten better I think. I usually watch it if I remember and then switch over to Reba at 9.
Old 01-21-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought CBS picked up the option for more episodes of this show after Ellen scored major rating for them during their recent Emmys broadcast.

CBS can't honestly expect a show to get and keep ratings when they move it all over the place. I've been looking for it on Mondays to find that it had been put BACK on Friday but was NOT on last week because of the episode of First Monday they showed.

JEEZ! I wanna watch it, I like it, I can never find it. Besides isn't Friday night a really bad programming spot for a 30 minute sitcom?
Old 01-28-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And the FINAL answer is - yes.

This was in PEOPLE Daily News today:

"CANCELED: CBS has shut down production of "The Ellen Show," the struggling sitcom starring Ellen DeGeneres, 43. Variety reports that after originally ordering a full season of 22 episodes of the show, the network pulled the plug after filming only 18. Budgetary considerations are being blamed . . . "

Oh well... that sucks.
Old 01-28-02, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The show may not necessarily be cancelled. I read an article over at Yahoo! this morning that did say they stopped production after 18 episodes (22 were originally ordered), but it may not be as bad as it sounds. The following sentences are quotes from the article:

Five remaining original episodes are slated to air in March and April, and CBS insiders said ``Ellen'' remains a contender to make the net's fall 2002 sked, which will be announced in May.

In recent weeks, several shows previously greenlit for 22 episodes have seen their orders reduced as networks look to save money on underperformers.
So it looks like there's still a shot it'll be back next season.
Old 01-28-02, 03:29 PM

E!Online said today that CBS was considering bringing it back in the Fall.

It's a decent show. Be a shame to completely drop it. Any show with Martin Mull, Cloris Leachman and Kerri Kenney is worth keeping around.
Old 01-28-02, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i watched it twice and thought that the humor was decidedly forced and not very funny. maybe i just caught 2 bad nights. i suspect that the only reason they haven't cancelled it already is because the last time her show got canned, she was pretty vocal about her show being cancelled because of the subject matter, not because people didn't think it was funny. i think maybe her stand up acts may be a bit funnier, but the writing on this sitcom just didn't seem very funny to me.
Old 01-28-02, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's pretty bad that I didn't even know this show existed. Of course, I watch like 2 TV shows a week.
Old 01-28-02, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A couple of the shows were very good but more of them seemed forced as another person said earlier.
Old 01-29-02, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I've never liked her.... no talent.

-k
###