Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Chris Isaak Show

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-02, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Chris Isaak Show

Anybody catch the marathon VH1 was running or see it on Showtime unedited? I ran across it and stopped out of curiosity. I ended up watching about 4 full shows. I was really surprised at how well-done it was. Chris Isaak was believable and engaging and his supporting cast was excellent. Good story lines with some genuinely funny and touching moments. The only thing I thought didn't work was the naked woman rotating on the bed like some weird earthbound mermaid. I'm all for naked women on rotating beds, but these scenes seemed out of character from the rest of the show.

Anyway, anybody else catch these? What did you think?
Old 01-05-02, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to watch them before I dumped Showtime. It's a really cool show and very unique. I'm not the biggest fan of Isaak's music, but he does an excellent job in the show.

das
Old 01-06-02, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This show is great!
I refuse to watch it on VH1, though. (I amost refuse to watch it on Showtime after what they did to Going To California!)

Oh yeah, and I think the chick on the bed works well with the premise.
Old 01-06-02, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Burnt Alive
Oh yeah, and I think the chick on the bed works well with the premise.
Maybe it struck me as odd since I've only seen a few shows out of context. Is she supposed to be part of Chris's subconscious or something?
Old 01-06-02, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I caught it on a free Showtime preview. On Showtime, you get to see some nudity. I guess the naked woman is his subconscious. It's different than any show on now but I didn't find it very interesting.
Old 01-06-02, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a big Chris Isaak fan and checked out a few of the shows out of curiosity. I have to say that I was pretty impressed too. His band does a pretty decent job of acting. For some reason, I thought it was going to be like the Garry Shandling show but it wasn't.
Old 01-06-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was never a huge fan of Isaac's music, but I am a big fan of the show. Actually, some of the best writing on TV, IMHO. And the acting is surprisingly good. It's a clever and very funny show. And by the way, the new season begins tonight on Showtime at 10:45 EST.
Old 01-06-02, 12:46 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I got hooked right away. Anson is hilarious. Yola's SUCH a doll and stacked like nobody's business. Can't wait for the next full season!!! (Starts Monday).

Last edited by G. Noel Gross; 01-06-02 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-06-02, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Boot

Maybe it struck me as odd since I've only seen a few shows out of context. Is she supposed to be part of Chris's subconscious or something?
She just fits in with the whole tongue-in-cheek style and "retro-vibe" (for lack of a better term) of the show.
Old 01-07-02, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I caught some of the marathon this weekend and I'm hooked on the show. It's well done and entertaining. I'm not a big fan of Isaak's music but I do love his brand of humor/acting.
Old 01-07-02, 11:55 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by Burnt Alive
She just fits in with the whole tongue-in-cheek style and "retro-vibe" (for lack of a better term) of the show.
True, but she also embodies his inner dialogue. Stunningly.

Remember when Elvis phones Chris up in the middle of the night? Greatness.
Old 01-07-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe I checked out the show when I had a free Showtime preview and enjoyed it. Not enough for me to pay for Showtime though . It is on VH1 now? Maybe I will re-check it out, even though you said it is edited.
Old 01-07-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Eternia
I believe I checked out the show when I had a free Showtime preview and enjoyed it. Not enough for me to pay for Showtime though . It is on VH1 now? Maybe I will re-check it out, even though you said it is edited.
Look for it on VH1. I'm not sure if they were just running a marathon as a promotion for the Showtime season premiere or if VH1 plans to continue running the shows, but it's worth looking for at least.

As far as the editing goes, it doesn't really detract from the show much. They dub the curse words and pixelate the brief nudity, but I didn't notice any places where they seemed to delete entire scenes or anything like that.
Old 01-07-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Boot

As far as the editing goes, it doesn't really detract from the show much. They dub the curse words and pixelate the brief nudity, but I didn't notice any places where they seemed to delete entire scenes or anything like that.
Cool, I will definately look it up this weekend to add it to the Tivo to tape some episodes.