Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gilmore Girls -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-01, 05:07 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
I love this show! I've been watching the re-runs during this summer, and it's one of the few shows that I'll watch more than once (I tape them and time-shift my viewing).

The characters are great, and Lorelai is such a MILF!
Lauren Graham is pretty, but Alexis Bledel (Rory) gives me the hot more than Graham.

It's okay, she's only three years younger than me.
Old 09-21-01, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patman, as a huge fan of the show from its first episode on, I'd say you did a pretty darn good job of giving a synopsis of it! And for those who haven't seen it - no comparisons come to mind. It's quite a unique show, and is witty enough (and lacks sappiness) that a lot of guys like it, too, which is great to see.

I have to admit to knowing WAY too much about this show, in addition to the many others that I watch, as I love it so much. So please forgive the length of this:

Therefore, to elaborate on point if I may, when Rory suggested to Tristan (the guy at Chilton) that he go out with Paris, it was because she knew how much Paris liked him, and thought they'd be good together. Paris has social issues, and can't express her feelings in a "normal" manner, so when Tristan just wants to be friends and slips up by telling Paris that Rory had suggested the date, Paris goes ballistic. Now Paris hates Rory, when they had been forging an uneasy friendship. The real reason Tristan just feels like Paris' friend is because he's in love with someone else - Rory (who is pretty clueless about the whole thing, but her boyfriend Dean saw it all along).

As to the final episode of the season (with a bit of background thrown in), which is my absolute favorite so far...
Spoiler:
Max proposed to Lorelai, first in a non-romantic spur of the moment manner, then when she called him on it and said it should be done with extravagant gestures and beautiful words, like with a thousand yellow daisies...she arrived at work in the midst of a flower delivery that the inn didn't order...a thousand yellow daisies. Not one more, not one less. And Max proposed again over the phone, in a VERY romantic way this time.

Rory had been trying to see Dean to see if he still cared about her, since she was finally starting to be ready to deal with the relationship, but most of her efforts failed. He no longer works at the corner market, and trying to get information out of his little sister did no good (in fact she made his sister cry unintentionally because she was asking too many questions too quickly and demanding specific answers).

Then Rory gave this rambling speech in front of the whole town at the town meeting, which was supposed to be on point (regarding the town troubador) but really was about Dean. He heard it, but she wasn't sure, so he showed up at her school the next day because he thought she wanted to talk to him. Unfortunately when he saw Rory, Tristan was holding her books (he had taken them away from her and wouldn't give them back, Rory has no interest in him and just wants to be left alone, but Tristan does that adolescent boy thing of teasing/tormenting to show his affection - goes right over Rory's head, she thinks he hates her, thus the tormenting behavior). Dean starts to leave, but Rory goes after him, explains that Tristan is horrid and is just tormenting her, and he doesn't believe her, then turns to leave. What possible reason could she have that would make him believe her? he asks. Her answer? "because I love you, you idiot!" And he rushes over to her and kisses her - yay!!!!! My absolute favorite young love couple of all time is back together again.

Tristan leaves quietly after putting Rory's books down. Rory and Dean go back to Star's Hollow and Rory and Lorelai find each other and share their happy news. As to Lorelai's answer to Max's question, that remains to be seen.

My vote? Luke all the way.
Old 09-21-01, 05:26 PM
Admin Emeritus

Cool, WP! Thanks for the episode recap... hadn't seen that one. YAY! I'm happy, too. FYI to anyone out there, www.mightybigtv.com is an OUTSTANDING episode recap site... they do a TON of shows, including Gilmore Girls. The recap writers are usually quite funny as they alternate between poking fun at the shows and loving them. I get more laughs out of reading their Dawson's Creek reruns than watching the show itself.
Old 09-26-01, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I watched last night's episode, and was just blown away by the whirlwind of events, and how the writers gave Lorelai and Rory parallel storylines on their love lives.

Luke and Max's "swinging their thing" in front of Lorelai was really funny, and to have Lorelai call them on it was also funny. Lauren Graham's reaction as Lorelai when she see all 1,000 daisies was some fine acting.

Damn, this is a good show, the dialogue is so good, it's worth watching twice.
Old 10-09-01, 06:45 AM

Reminder: Gilmore Girls season premiere tonight

It's a fave of a number of us here so I just wanted to post a little reminder about tonight's 2-hour premiere on the WB. Should be 2 hours of laugh-out-loud comedy, a little drama, and great writing and acting.

I found this show is pretty easy to catch up on during summer reruns, so give it a shot even if you missed the first season!*

*I have no connection to the WB or the show except as a huge fan.
Old 10-09-01, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

YYYEEEEESSSSS!!!!
Old 10-09-01, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to watch, but it's going against Buffy, and I can only get one channel of WB or UPN at a time until DirecTV upgrades its package. Grr!

das
Old 10-09-01, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
I want to watch, but it's going against Buffy, and I can only get one channel of WB or UPN at a time until DirecTV upgrades its package. Grr!

das
I think a lot of people are in the same boat - having to choose between Buffy and GG (even without DirecTV forcing the choice). They're both pretty much targeted to the same audience. I bet Buffy will win over GG (even though it'll still be like 79th place for Buffy vs. 93rd for GG in the overall ratings )

Patman definitely has the solution: 2 (or is it now 3?) VCRs!

There's also the problem that I'm going to have tonight: choosing between Frasier and the second hour of GG. For me it's a no-brainer b/c I lost interest in Frasier at least a year ago (and this year's premiere was just tiresome, IMO). But the wife still likes it, and just last night she gave me absolutely no sh!t about buying a $3K Pioneer WS TV, I think I have no choice but to interrupt the GG tape and tape Frasier from 9-9:30. Here again, multiple VCRs would help!
Old 10-09-01, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

YYEESSSS!!! I have 3 VCRs and plain cable TV feeds, so I don't need any extermal converter boxes, etc (dish). Tuesdays are brutal!
Old 10-09-01, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Decisions, decisions.

I opted for the two hour Gilmore episode, no regrets. Have two VCR's, but the second one was grabbing Farscape.

Great episode, just as usual. I was so wishing and still am, that it avoids the sophmore jinx. No sign of it tonight.

Spoiler:
"I have to find a retarded kid and teach him to play softball!"
Old 10-10-01, 12:05 AM
Admin Emeritus

WAUGH! I missed it!

Can someone post what happened? Yeah, I'm gonna get the episode recap from www.mightybigtv.com, but someone here would probably get me the important info faster. Thanks!

Old 10-10-01, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm...this 2-hour season premiere was okay, but I'm pretty sure that Max Medina won't be around as THE husband for Lorelai when the dust settles. I say this because Max doesn't even show up in the main opening credits (they've added Paris and Rory's boyfriend Dean), and shows up in the guest credits after the commercial.

Highlights from the 2 hours:

Lorelai's stuff:

After much agonizing, and prodding (mainly from Luke's slew of questions - joint checking accounts, where to live, will she still work, etc etc), Lorelai finally says yes to Max on his marriage proposal, but this occurs on a phone call at the Friday family dinner, but she doesn't tell mom or dad, Emily and Richard, (though Rory knows and they jump up and down with glee when she clues Rory in on the deal), but blame it on something else. Also, mom and dad congratulate Rory for placing in the top 3% of her class at Chilton

At the next family dinner, Lorelai and Rory bring Dean to dinner. This visibly upsets Richard, and he's really grumpy. Then at dinner Richard starts grilling Dean on his college plans and life plans, but Dean can't say anything to placate Richard's demanding demeanor (he was very concerned with Rory hanging with a direction-less boy). Rory yelled back at Richard, defending Dean, which shocks Richard. Lorelai, Rory and Dean leave hastily. Rory was very pissed at Richard. It was their first fight.

Later at home, Lorelai defends Richard by saying Rory is the child that Richard and Emily didn't have (smart, going to Harvard, going to travel, etc) since Lorelai was a disappointment (getting knocked up at 16, never going to college, much less finish high school, etc). Rory is the "great white hope of the Gilmore clan" says Lorelai.

Emily inadvertently finds out about Lorelai's engagement when Suki calls and invites them to a surprise wedding shower. This upsets Emily in her own way. After Richard and Rory's fight, Emily tells Richard that he needs to apologize to Rory because their own daughter got engaged and felt that she couldn't tell them before the whole town knew, and Emily did not want a repeat of that to happen when Rory gets engaged.

At the next family dinner, Richard and Rory make up (and share a hug), but Lorelai finally breaks the news to Emily, but Emily is extremely cold in her response, and leaves Lorelai an emotional mess once again. Lorelai and Rory leave again, with Rory supporting her mom (they go to Luke's to cheer her up, but Luke is a bit on the grumpy side of this whole development because he really does have it bad for her, but can't really show it at this point in time).

Later, during a date between Max and Lorelai (she discusses how Emily dissed her, and she gets all wound up, and has Max drive her to Emily's place. Lorelai confronts Emily about her coldness to the engagement, and Emily tells her that Suki spilled the beans, and Lorelai realized that she doesn't have a leg to stand on to being mad at Emily and leaves.

At home, Lorelai has this wedding vail made of newspaper and she asked for advice from Rory, but Rory can only needle her by reading the headlines off the newspaper, it was a funny bit.

Lorelai shows up at Emily's later, sporting a couple of wedding vails, asking for advice, and after coming to some understanding about how Lorelai just doesn't know how to talk to Emily and Richard, Emily offers that Lorelai would look better in a tiara because of her head size (plus Emily also wore a tiara), and Lorelai takes the suggestion under advisement, and the healing of their rift begins.

At the end, Suki's wedding shower is a town-wide event, and Max and Lorelai were literally showed with presents (99% for Lorelai, 1% for Max if he was lucky). They were sitting in big puffy chairs amid tons of gifts. Max tells Lorelai that he'll be teaching for 2 months in Toronto during the summer (it seems that this point in time is the end of Rory's sophomore year at Chilton).

Rory's stuff:

On a Saturday, Rory volunteers to help build houses for charity, on her way there, Dean comes by, wanting to hang out with Rory, but Rory has this thing to do, but promises they'd do something that evening. At the work site, Paris convinces Rory that she's way behind in extracurriculars. Rory comes back, all grungy, and Dean meets her at the bus stop. Paris has really messed with Rory's head, and she's fixated on getting caught up the extracurriculars that very moment, and tells Dean that she can't hang out with him that night, and this pisses Dean off, they fight, and walk off in different directions.

Later, they make up at the wedding shower, Rory knows she got all spooked by Paris.

Lane stuff:

Rory bumped into Henry (the Korean kid that danced with Lane at that party from last season) at Chilton, and he was put off by Lane's mom when he tried calling her, so he gave Rory his number to give to Lane. At the end of the show, which had many little scenes leading up this: Lane got shipped out to Korea by her psycho mom with a one-way plane ticket and a bag that was literally big enough to fit both Lane and Rory and their luggage. (I don't know if this is the end of the line for Lane on the show, it would be too bad).

Suki stuff:

Besides putting on the wedding shower, she was egging on Jackson about how wonderful it was that Lorelai and Max were getting married, and Jackson took it that she wanted him to propose, but Jackson drew the line and offered to move in with her, but Suki just laughed and laughed until they were off screen.

Luke stuff:

Luke's heart took a tumble when Lorelai finally got around to give him the marriage proposal news at the start of the show (this is after the dance teacher finds out and leads the town to Luke's dinner to watch the fireworks). This is where he starts in on all the questions of how they'll manage to merge their lives. You could tell Luke was just in turmoil, but doesn't show it in front of Lorelai.

Later, at the wedding shower, Lorelia spots Luke in his diner, goes inside, and Luke is balancing ketchup bottles (pretty funny scene). They talk, and she invites him to come outside and share in her wedding shower. He relents, watches Lorelai dancing with Max, she see him, smiles, happy that he came outside. Luke finds a seat, and winds up sitting on a bench with 3 little dancers in white tutu's (another funny shot).

That's most of the highlights. I'm sure someone will come by and sprinkle in the funny stuff, or any other major plot point I missed.
Old 10-10-01, 12:40 PM
Admin Emeritus

Lane stuff:

Rory bumped into Henry (the Korean kid that danced with Lane at that party from last season) at Chilton, and he was put off by Lane's mom when he tried calling her, so he gave Rory his number to give to Lane. At the end of the show, which had many little scenes leading up this: Lane got shipped out to Korea by her psycho mom with a one-way plane ticket and a bag that was literally big enough to fit both Lane and Rory and their luggage. (I don't know if this is the end of the line for Lane on the show, it would be too bad).
LANE IS GONE?! Lane, Rory's Asian friend?! Holy COW! Why the heck did that happen? Lane's mom IS psycho. Ugh.

Old 10-10-01, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lane was in the opening credits (and as I mentioned that they added both Paris and Dean to the opening credits), so I think it's just a summer thing, and Lane will be brought back in the fall when school starts again (but who knows how many episodes that'll take for them to fast forward 2-3 months.

I still think Lorelai will break off the engagement in the 2 months to come while Max is in Toronto.
Old 10-10-01, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts
BTW, on the 10/23 episode "Road Trip To Harvard", the guy serving coffee to Rory and co. is my roommate. Yes, prestigious...
Old 10-11-01, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dean looks like he lost 15 pounds over the summer. He looked a lot healthier last season.
Old 10-11-01, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Dean looks like he lost 15 pounds over the summer. He looked a lot healthier last season.
Meanwhile the Lorelai's still looked delicious!!!
Old 10-11-01, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He seemed a little more tan too. I'm so annoyed when season premires start off where the season finale left off, because you know they had a little R&R during those 3 months, and they pretend like nothing has changed.
Old 10-12-01, 09:12 AM

I thought he looked taller, which made him look thinner. But it could have been he was actually thinner, which made him look taller.
Old 10-18-01, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh how I LOVE this show. GG and Buffy - best shows on tv imho and up against each other - now that's ridiculous. I watch both thanks to time shifting and 3 different wb feeds on Dish Network, though, so I don't have to make those impossible choices.

The first two episodes were fantastic - how I've missed that snappy banter. I would give a whole heck of a lot to have GG released on dvd and soon.

And I couldn't remember any important points that Patman didn't mention.
Old 10-31-01, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Gilmore Girls 10/30/01

Anyone still watching Gilmore Girls?

This was a good episode, and having them add Jess, the troublesome 17 year old nephew of Luke into the mix will have Rory become torn between Dean and Jess, who was shown to be a bit of a knave, and a bit aloof, and solitary. Only towards the end is it confirmed that he's quite literary, which makes him very attractive in Rory's eyes, especially you compare him to the sweet lunkhead, Dean.

I loved it when Luke shoves Jess into the water. That's so Luke.

Paris is living up to her "beeyotch" title, setting Rory up for failure on the school paper, but Rory handles herself with aplomb and succeeds, in spite of Paris's efforts to do otherwise.

Luke is pretty much in over his head in dealing with Jess. Having Jess get under Lorelai's skin in less then 3 minutes was priceless.

Rory's interview with Max was good in that it starts the rebuilding process of their relationship from a stepdad/stepdaughter dynamic back to teacher/student dynamic with bittersweet "what-could-have-been's".
Old 10-31-01, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i only watched parts of it here and there as there was just too much tv to watch on tuesday!!!

but i did catch the interview with mr medina which was very cute especially when they did the whole stepfather thing in the middle.
Old 10-31-01, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that was a crucial scene to show us, as it lets the viewers know that both have regrets over how things turned out, but are moving on with their current relationship as teacher/student. It was very well done.
Old 10-31-01, 12:11 PM
Admin Emeritus

Yay for Gilmore Girls! Heck yeah, I still watch it... and now with my TiVo, I'll never miss it. In fact, I was gonna start a thread, but I figured it was too late.

Luke pushing Jess in the water was pretty hilarious. I was getting pretty tired of the Jess character quickly... he was kind of a one-note character until the whole literary thing. I kinda expected him to blow his wad about the literary thing (I knew there had to be SOMETHING more to the character) in Rory's room, but it was a neat choice to wait 'til the end of the show for that. What happened to Dean, anyways? I know they broke up, and Lorelai blew up on him, but that's the last I heard.

Whew, Alexis Bledel (Rory) is cute. But Lauren Graham (Lorelai) is looking better and better every episode.

Boy Scout: "Hey, I was here first!"
Lorelai: "On the planet?"
Boy Scout: "... Huh?"
Lorelai: "Ha! You lose!"

Frankie like Rory!
Old 10-31-01, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I LOVE this show. Consistently some of the best tv out there. I too loved Lorelai's responses to the bratty Jess - she comes up with the things I'd love to say but can't think of until later. Oh to have the power of the snappy comeback. This show NEEDS to be on dvd.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.