Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy tonight - Living Conditions [spoilers]

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-01, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy tonight - Living Conditions [spoilers]

Okay, I thought they screwed up. They left out all the subtitles between the demons. I wasn't sure at the beginning. Then in the end I remembered the converstation between her and her father and how amusing it was because we got to see the subtitles and they were nowhere to be found. That screwed things up because you didn't understand what was happening.
Old 11-26-01, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happened on the FX rerun of The Zeppo, or so I was told... they left the subtitles out.

Something to do with some special Spanish Awarness thing or something where you could have spanish subtitles activated, if they had the original subs as well, they'd conflict... That's what I heard anyways... I don't know so much about that part.
Old 11-27-01, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lame and not my problem. If you're living in the US, learn to speak read and write english.
Old 11-27-01, 10:54 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by elektra
Lame and not my problem. If you're living in the US, learn to speak read and write english.

I thought the US was about individuality, not conformity.

At any rate, I think the blame for this should be on F/X. They could have easily fixed the subtitle problem if they wanted to.
Old 11-27-01, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As a new Buffy watcher, I wasn't sure if you were supposed to know what they were saying or not. I found it odd that they would have that much dialog without any translation. Now I really feel cheated.

So it sounds as if the MGM DVD department must now be in charge of programming at FX
Old 11-27-01, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MrN - it's not about being and individual, or conforming. It's about a choice to live in this country and whether or not you want to work and survive. Basically, if you went to livin in Hong Kong, Spain or Germany, how long would you last if you did not learn to read, speak or write the language? I'm not saying they can't celebrate their culture, speak their language ever again or they have to change their faith. I'm saying something that is common sense. I spent 4 hours in the emergency room on Friday. The doctor was having a hard time treating the woman in the area next to me because she spoke no english and he did not speak spanish. Why should he have to learn spanish in this country? She should learn the language of the country she's choosing to live in. Bottom line.

FX should be shot for doing what they did. It really takes away from the episode when you miss the exchange that occurs between father and daughter in the end.
Old 11-27-01, 12:52 PM
MrN

MrN - it's not about being and individual, or conforming. It's about a choice to live in this country and whether or not you want to work and survive.....

I understand your point. However, I think its unrealistic to expect everyone to be up to speed before they get here. It takes time to speak/understand a language and even longer to read and write it if you're past a certain age. The emergency room situation is an extreme example - we were talking about people looking for entertainment on TV.

Watching English TV shows with subtitles may actually be an educational tool. I wouldn't recommend Buffy for this, what with all the slang and fast paced dialogue, but you know what I mean...?

Like I was saying, I think the real problem here is F/X. It would have probably only taken slightly more effort to accomodate both subtitles than it took to remove the original english subtitles. Oh well, I guess the DVDs will come out in a year or two....
Old 11-27-01, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MrN - agreed for the most part. F/X should not have dropped the subtitles.

First season DVD's are do out in January 15 or 17?
Old 11-27-01, 01:30 PM
MrN

The 15th.

I feel like one of the nerds. "I watched all the Buffy episodes, but not Angel, 'cause its not out on DVD."
Old 11-27-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, that would be me!
Old 11-27-01, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I remember subtitles the first time I saw this episode - FX has been bad about this kinda thing.

In Fool for Love, the Chinese slayer's dialogue was subtitled - but in Spanish
Old 11-27-01, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yea, that was suck too! F/X will be hearing from me when I get home!
Old 11-27-01, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RolloTomasi

In Fool for Love, the Chinese slayer's dialogue was subtitled - but in Spanish
I noticed that too!

Spike said something like "I don't speak Chinese, love" and I was thinking it didn't matter since what she "said" translated didn't make any sense either!
Old 11-27-01, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
IIRC, I think the Chinese slayer said, "I'm going kick your peroxide *** back to England and then stake you!"
Old 11-27-01, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it would be cool if Buffy encountered a former slayer who was turned into a vampire.

That would be a great nemesis!
Old 11-27-01, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jadzia - that could be cool.
Old 11-27-01, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Would any vampire give up a slayer kill just to convert them to a vampire?
Old 11-27-01, 04:00 PM
MrN

Originally posted by Patman

Good point. And with Slayer power they would make bad underlings.
Old 11-27-01, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bad underlings, but one helluva partner.
Old 11-27-01, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jadzia - that could be cool.
Maybe I should write for Buffy

I was thinking of some other thing's I'd like to see.

The fight with Spike in broad daylight on a campus that had been very busy just moments before got me thinking of something (and also the frat party scene.)

Wouldn't it be great if some guys walked in on Buffy as a vamp was hitting her, and not knowing what was happening just rushed in to help her. Like "how dare you beat up a woman!"

I was also thinking when she was all banged up in the first episode of season 4, it would be funny if someone asked about her bruises and then erroneously thought she was a battered woman or something!

Maybe they have done this already on the show (I haven't seen it all yet) but I think they might be some great moments.
Old 11-27-01, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
I could see Faith propositioning a vamp to make her one. That would be cool!

And also activate a new Slayer!
Old 11-27-01, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm late on this one, but it's a big issue with me.

If you want to live in America, you need to learn to speak English ... sorry ... that just has to be the way it is. I'm not talking about being fluent or knowing everything immediately, but there is a large segment of the population that refuses to make the effort to learn and feels they should not have to. While it would be great if everyone spoke every language, it's unfair to expect people to adapt to every possible situtation. English is America's national language. Learn it if you plan to live here permenantly. If I take a trip to France, I may learn a little French to get by, but if I plan to move there, I best start taking some courses and really learn the language. Many French may know English already, but it's arrogant and irresponsible of me to expect them to adapt to me. The same applies for people coming here. Learn English, or at least try. Keep all the culture you want, but add English to it. To do otherwise is just selfish. I'm all for tolerance, understanding, and inclusion, but if America has something so wonderful that you feel compelled to leave your home country and join ours, the least you can do is attempt to speak the language.

das
Old 11-27-01, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 11-28-01, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
I'm late on this one, but it's a big issue with me.

If you want to live in America, you need to learn to speak English ... sorry ... that just has to be the way it is. I'm not talking about being fluent or knowing everything immediately, but there is a large segment of the population that refuses to make the effort to learn and feels they should not have to. While it would be great if everyone spoke every language, it's unfair to expect people to adapt to every possible situtation. English is America's national language. Learn it if you plan to live here permenantly.
das
Rock on, das Monkey............