Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise 11/21

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-01, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Enterprise 11/21

damn, no sound until the end of the credits
son of a biznatch
was it just my UPN station?
will have to retape on sunday

Spoiler:
low G football passing was cool
Porthos is back
naussicans? they stabbed picard

Last edited by mikehunt; 11-21-01 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-21-01, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Naussicans did stab Picard. Fairly uninteresting so far .
Old 11-21-01, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Spoiler:

decent episode
no cave, that's a plus
Porthos is still alive and well
next week looks to be the first of the timetravel episodes that every one has been expecting from B&B

Old 11-21-01, 08:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why the hell does some crew member on Enterprise always give a lame 'Full House' type lector at the end thus saving the day and not giving what the fans really want......... the Enteprise blowing up the a-holes who deserve it to bits and pieces. Archer should've loaded weapons and taken out BOTH the aliens and the cargo ship and go off to continue their mission.

btw, T'Pol's ass needs more screen time.
Old 11-21-01, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

WHERE WERE THE CAVES?!?!?!?

OK, now I'm just really confused ... no caves? So much for continuity. I guess we'll have to make do with all the time they spent in the cargohold.

Poor Ensign Harry "Gomer Pyle" Kim. I thought the Enterprise 1701-D was the first family vessel, but it sure looks like there's a lot of babysitting on this Enterprise.

I guess I liked it ... I dunno ... it seems so stale that I wonder if I just tolerate it because it's Star Trek.

Good to see they're doing time travel next week. Cuz we haven't beaten that horse to death yet.

das
Old 11-22-01, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And again we get the same old tired, well everyone deserves to be treated like humans cliche.

They've been attacking their shipping lines and maybe if they don't want to change their relations if you blow a few of them out of the sky, they'll leave you alone.

Overly predictable, which is fine if it's interesting. This wasn't.

Das - the only reason why I'm still tolerating it is because it's Trek. But that didn't last long with Voyager. If they can't do better than this, yawn, I'm outta here.

BTW- I can't believe the little nit thought he would get the right info from his prisoner to begin with.
Old 11-22-01, 10:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to agree, the "politics" of this eps were pretty weak. I have a feeling this might have been filmed before then but did anyone else pick up on how it reflected the current situation w/ Afghanistan/Sept.11? Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it since it is just a classic story of attack/revenge...

Last edited by nemein; 11-22-01 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-22-01, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

0 Caves
0 Captain's Table dinners
1 Dog

Not bad. I'm a bit confused about the Enterprise now, however. I was led to believe from the first episode that Enterprise was the first Earth ship to be going around and checking things out, exploring, etc.. And that the Vulcan't had been keeping Earth out of the whole outerspace scene all this time for whatever reason.

I knew there were freighters as that one guy has talked about growing up on one, but I figured they were slow and travelled around our solar system between mining colonies or something.

After last night's episode, apparently there are lots of freighters, all capable of warp travel. And, there are other Starfleet ships around that are also capable of warp travel. So what's the frickin' big deal of the Enterprise? It's not the first, and they aren't the first humans travelling around out there. Apparently they're the fastest? BFD!

To me it seems that they kind of shot down the whole premise of the show, as they aren't really doing anything spectacular or extraordinary now, and the intrigue with the Vulcans is pretty weak now too, as they obviously haven't been trying to keep Earthlings out of space.
Old 11-22-01, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by das Monkey
WHERE WERE THE CAVES?!?!?!?

OK, now I'm just really confused ... no caves? So much for continuity. I guess we'll have to make do with all the time they spent in the cargohold.
You might say the cargo holds were so big they could be described as being cavernous.
Old 11-22-01, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Porthos is back!!

Anybody notice that the monitor screen in the med bay on the freighter showed the same thing as McCoy’s readouts?

Cargo bay is a poor substitute for a cave, IMO.

Phlox sounds more like a Vulcan all the time. “Under the circumstances, I defer to your experience."

Note to FX team: pinhole leaks vent out.

Note to N’Pol: pinhole leaks are REAL easy to patch.
Originally posted by Snake Plissken
Archer should've loaded weapons and taken out BOTH the aliens and the cargo ship and go off to continue their mission.
In the promos there’s a shot of a torpedo being loaded that I didn’t see in the program. I REALLY dislike that. When they show a massive warhead being rammed into a torpedo tube they damn well better have it in the program!

So, they’re hunkered down waiting and the Nausicaans come down the hallway. A firefight erupts. Isn’t this where R2 and C3PO run across dodging the crossfire??

On a positive note, they did an excellent job setting up the frame of mind of the freighter crews to explain their actions. Another show might have taken an entire episode to do this, but…oh, wait…never mind.

I’m guessing that for those looking for a shoot-em-up Captain-gets-the-girl TOS thing, it ain’t gonna happen. “Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is.”* This is noted in the second ep where everyone’s bored, and again this time where it takes them almost two days to get to the freighter. The limits of their speed are made very plain and, until the writers get lazy and start doing time travel eps (), we can’t expect them to have encounters and space battles every episode.

In TOS and TNG there is no indication of the time spent between episodes. Thus continuity is not needed. Voyager used continuity to a limited extent, but they still seemed to be able to progress at will and find something or someone to cause them grief almost every week. Enterprise, on the other hand, seems to promote real-time continuity.

If this is the case, then it’s going to be a boring series. IMHO, of course.
Originally posted by das "Bad Mood" Monkey
I guess I liked it ... I dunno ... it seems so stale that I wonder if I just tolerate it because it's Star Trek.
”The only thing worse than bad Star Trek is no Star Trek at all.” -- Wizdar

*Douglas Adams – 1952-2001
Old 11-22-01, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I the only one who was disappointed that they didn't break into a Credence Clearwater Revival concert during the show? Sheesh. And not one single cave.

Also, has anyone else figured out that the writers of this series appear to be japanese anime fans? Where did they get the name Naussicaan from? Seems to me there is a Miyazaki film of the same (similar) name.

Oh well. At least the puppy is back.
Old 11-22-01, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally posted by Wizdar
So, they’re hunkered down waiting and the Nausicaans come down the hallway. A firefight erupts. Isn’t this where R2 and C3PO run across dodging the crossfire??
That hallway did look a lot like the section of the Rebel Blockade Runner where Leia encoded her message in R2D2, didn't it.

Oh well, if you're going to steal, might as well steal from the best

I think the idea behind the Enterprise and the whole Starfleet thing is this is the first time Humans have been able to go off exploring on their own in an organized manner. Sure, some malcontents, loners, and milita members have set out as long haul freighter crews, but they're not really contributing anything to humanity as a whole.
Old 11-22-01, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

naussicans were mentioned in TNG
they're the reason picard has a fake heart

Originally posted by mllefoo
Am I the only one who was disappointed that they didn't break into a Credence Clearwater Revival concert during the show? Sheesh. And not one single cave.

Also, has anyone else figured out that the writers of this series appear to be japanese anime fans? Where did they get the name Naussicaan from? Seems to me there is a Miyazaki film of the same (similar) name.

Oh well. At least the puppy is back.
Old 11-22-01, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

they had the drop on those naussicans in the hallway and they missed
idiots, learn to aim
Old 11-25-01, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What really ticked me off was Archer's explanation of why they shouldn't try to get revenge on the naussicans. He went into some sentimental moral babble of questionable relevance - these creatures repeatedly attack our freighters, and we should continue to do nothing because hey, it wouldn't be nice! Ugh!!!! I was praying for an explanation like it might cause a full-out war, which Earth isn't ready to fight. That would at least make some sense!
Old 11-27-01, 07:17 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by renaldow
Not bad. I'm a bit confused about the Enterprise now, however. I was led to believe from the first episode that Enterprise was the first Earth ship to be going around and checking things out, exploring, etc.. And that the Vulcan't had been keeping Earth out of the whole outerspace scene all this time for whatever reason.

I knew there were freighters as that one guy has talked about growing up on one, but I figured they were slow and travelled around our solar system between mining colonies or something.

After last night's episode, apparently there are lots of freighters, all capable of warp travel. And, there are other Starfleet ships around that are also capable of warp travel. So what's the frickin' big deal of the Enterprise? It's not the first, and they aren't the first humans travelling around out there. Apparently they're the fastest? BFD!...
I think the reason that the Enterprise was sent was explained right in the beginning of the episode. When receiving the orders from Starfleet, Archer was told that Enterprise was the closest Starfleet vessel and therefor was being sent to check things out.

Enterprise is also the fastest vessel in the fleet...

Pretty cheesy episode though...

-BT