Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 11/20/01

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-01, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pelenor, I think you're making more out of it than needs to be. "You came back wrong" should tell the story. Spike's chip, which seems to be working, gives him a zot when he is violent towards humans. This makes Buffy something other than human. More? Less? Doesn't seem to matter.

You may have a point if he didn't hit her since the chip, but I'm not sure that's right.

Morning, das. Better mood today?

Last edited by Wizdar; 11-21-01 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-21-01, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Wizdar
Morning, das. Better mood today?
Not particularly. I've felt cranky (I guess I should say more cranky than usual) all week. Getting sick does that to you I guess. I'll need to get rid of some excess rage during the day though or I won't be able to enjoy "Cave Men in Space" on UPN tonight.

das
Old 11-21-01, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
I'll need to get rid of some excess rage during the day though or I won't be able to enjoy "Cave Men in Space" on UPN tonight.
[OT]Anyone here old enough to remember the cavemen & astronauts sitcom called It's About Time" ?[/OT]
Old 11-21-01, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by adamblast
[OT]Anyone here old enough to remember the cavemen & astronauts sitcom called It's About Time" ?[/OT]
I'm old enough (I predate TV, but not classicman), but never caught it.

"Cave Men In Space"???
Old 11-21-01, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Cave Men In Space"???
[Hijack]Enterprise[/Hijack]

das
Old 11-21-01, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
[Hijack]Enterprise[/Hijack]

das

[Wizdar closes IMDb and waits patiently for the coffee to kick in... ]
Old 11-21-01, 11:58 AM

I don't think Buffy is anything more than somehow 'different' at this point. "death is her gift" is what the first slayer told her I believe, but slayers are ultimately there to rid the world of evil. Ultimately, they can bcome bad because of their powers (i.e. Faith), they even had a wicked Watcher as well in trying to steal the claw in one episode.

What I'm thinking of is this...Where did all of Dawn's 'the key' powers go? And Buffy is the one who jumped in the supernatural flux last finale. Maybe she has inherited some of these powers somehow and she doesn't yet realize. She's going to need a lot more this season other than Anya and Zander's 'researching' techniques to combat witchcraft abilities.

{Elektra}: I think maybe it was an interview in BTVS official magazine about Amy going for the part of Buffy but I don't have them all so it's hard to tell. Amy is REALLY good though, I think it would have been some stiff competition between her an SMG.
Old 11-21-01, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Amy does have bigger bigger boobies than SMG, those might have gotten in the way of slayer duty and general vamp-a$$-kicking.
Old 11-21-01, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by mots2

What I'm thinking of is this...Where did all of Dawn's 'the key' powers go?
Her power was just that her blood opened up the portal. At that time, I think literally she was just a key, no power beyond that, so now that the door was opened and closed she is just a normal girl. They only real potential for her to be more, is that her and Buffy's blood is somehow similar, since Buffy's blood worked as a key, so perhaps Dawn has some Slayer potential.
Originally posted by Patman

Amy does have bigger bigger boobies than SMG, those might have gotten in the way of slayer duty and general vamp-a$$-kicking.
Well, considering they made Sara stuff the first season,... don't guess that was a factor.
Originally posted by elektra
I know that SMG was originally trying out for Cordy. I know that Charisma tried out for Buffy, but each got the others role.
Yep. Actually, from my understanding, Sara was actually signed on as Cordy, she had won the part, but then when they couldtn find a Buffy, they consdered her for the role and then recast the Cordy role.

Anyway, I liked last nights episode. Moving things along as they say. I agree that Buffy's "Spike, it didnt mean anything" and the Nerds of Doom are two tired things so far (actually I've been tired of the Nerds sonce their second appearance). Cant say Amy really thrilled me all that much. I guess I have my fill of the awkward female with Anya-the-former-Demon, so Amy-the-former-Rat doesnt amuse me too much. Nice to see Tara still sticking around. But, the big revelation, BUFFY NOT THAT HUMAN, has so much juicy potential, I cant wait to see where they go with it.
Old 11-21-01, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Slumbering Fist

Her power was just that her blood opened up the portal. At that time, I think literally she was just a key, no power beyond that, so now that the door was opened and closed she is just a normal girl. They only real potential for her to be more, is that her and Buffy's blood is somehow similar, since Buffy's blood worked as a key, so perhaps Dawn has some Slayer potential.
I do remember something being said about The Key being made from Buffy herself, so in some way they are really sisters. If Dawn did start using some of these slaying attributes it would be somewhat odd, unless there was some 'meditation' episode where she finds her hidden talent. My guess is that they have to give her 'something' or else everyone will just end up saving her all the time.

Patman: Those are some might keen observations you got going there! I actually missed her previous episodes and don't know what she's all about (Hopefully, I'll be seeing these on FX) but I'm glad they brought her back. A very cool character, indeed. Is she a trained witch?
Old 11-21-01, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by pelenor
Just my two cents but I think I know why Spikes chip doesn't activate when he hits Buffy:

I could be wrong, but I don't think he ever actually hit her before, or I don't remember so the following diatribe may prove moot if he had.
Remember when Buffy was exploring her Slayerness and all indications were that the power she has is from a Dark/evil origin? Dracula had said it and Spike referred to it also. Not to mention when the first slayer visited her and the Scoobs in that dream episode at the end of Season Four.

That's my take. That the Slayers powers are innately evil in origin and that's why Spike can hit her.

What do you guys think?
I think that he has tried to hit her before, and knows that it wouldn't work. That was a right after he got the chip. She used to insult him often and treat him like crap, and he'd try to do something... PAIN.

So, it worked when she was 'alive' just not now that she's been brought back. She's odd now, and not human. Something else.
Old 11-21-01, 02:34 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a question about the 3 nerds.

I know Jonathan has been pretty much a regular and I think the first appearance of the Buffy-bot guy was last season. Where's the third nerd from - did he just show up this season?
Old 11-21-01, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked this episode a lot as well. Only a couple things really bothered me.

1. Spike probably should've seen the diamond. Oh well, no big deal.

2. Tara hanging out with Dawn and telling her, "I'll always be there for you..." Ok, so she's Dawn's sister's best friend's ex-girlfriend and now she's giving the parental speech? Whatever.

As for the geek boy trio: I like 'em! I think it's kind of funny how they've got the kids all riled up looking for frost monsters and so forth. Kind of funny. A nice break from everyone else's life stories, IMHO.

Last edited by renaldow; 11-21-01 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-21-01, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those three nerds remind me of The Lone Gunmen.
Old 11-21-01, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by MrN
I have a question about the 3 nerds.

I know Jonathan has been pretty much a regular and I think the first appearance of the Buffy-bot guy was last season. Where's the third nerd from - did he just show up this season?

I know all three have been seen in the previous seasons. My mind is a little sketchy because I'm watching them all on FX right now and all seasons are trickling together. I know Buffy actually helped the one (frozen arm guy in this episode) when he was going to torment Sunnydale High and he complained "you don't think of me as anything but a geek" to paraphrase and she replied "Actually, I don't think about you at all".
Old 11-21-01, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The third nerd in the Geek Trio - his brother made the hellhounds that attacked the Prom in that episode.

Didn't Buffy and Spike trade shots when she brought Riley in for Medical attention to the Dr. that was trying to remove Spike's chip?

I think it's possible she either came back different or maybe without a soul? I wouldn't tend to think she is souless, but I'm just thinking through the possibilities.
Old 11-21-01, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by renaldow & mots2
Spike probably should've seen the diamond.
What would he have done with it? The object was to coerce them, not rip them off.

Here's a thought: Spike bites Buffy to try to turn her, but she doesn't turn vamp because of whatever she is now?

Spike: How could I have bollixed that up?
Buffy: Bloody hell!

Old 11-21-01, 04:01 PM

What would he have done with it? The object was to coerce them, not rip them off.

Because then he would have been able to inform Buffy who's been behind these 'strange' happenings. He already knew a diamond was stolen from the museum. It baffled me as well because they have the thing displayed in clear view. Spike really loves being able to inform her of anything she needs to know if he gets a chance to as it brings them closer As it turns out, he didn't need to bring her ANY information this episode for bonding. lol.
Old 11-21-01, 11:51 PM
Cool New Member

Does anyone else think that the reason Buffy isn't as upset about Willow's excessive use of magic as Tara/Anya/Xander are is because she herself is being "seduced" by the dark side? I watched last night's episode again tonight and noticed her reaction when they were all sitting in the Magic Box talking about Willow. She had started to say "well, not everyone is 'seduced'...", or something to that effect when the phone rang. Almost defensive?

Probably way behind the wave on this one, but just thinking that she may be a bit more sympathetic because of her own feelings. Either that or her guilty conscience made her feel like they were talking about her instead of Willow.

Kal
Old 11-22-01, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kal - I think the reason why Buffy was so jumpy over the word secuded is because of herself and her "feelings" towards Spike and having kissed him twice. I think she was feeling seduced by the fact that he's a strong male character and she thinks she can't deal without Giles.
Old 11-22-01, 10:07 AM
Cool New Member

Kal - I think the reason why Buffy was so jumpy over the word secuded is because of herself and her "feelings" towards Spike and having kissed him twice. I think she was feeling seduced by the fact that he's a strong male character and she thinks she can't deal without Giles.
Yup yup - that's exactly (well, almost exactly) what I meant when I said that Buffy was also being "seduced by the dark side". Her dark side is just Spike and her feelings towards him whereas Willow's is her magic....I meant to say "Spike" in my first post, I just didn't for some (odd) reason.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Kal
Old 11-22-01, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

KaL - KO! Did Dracula say something about her power coming from darkness?
Old 11-22-01, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's a thought: Spike bites Buffy to try to turn her, but she doesn't turn vamp because of whatever she is now?

Spike: How could I have bollixed that up?
Buffy: Bloody hell!

If he could coerce them with threat against a Boba Fett doll, what kind of power to coerce would he have had if he'd noticed they'd had the stolen diamond? I don't think he'd rip them off, but I definitely think he'd be, "Well, well, well, what do we have here? Little boys shouldn't have such big diamonds." (or some such thing) and they'd be doing whatever he pleased.

Gotta remember too, Spike has no $$$ and can't get it from dead humans anymore. If he saw some way to score a lot of cash, I think he'd do it.

As for vamping Buffy, it takes more than Spike to bite her. She has to feed back off of him to replace her lost blood. They explained all that when Angel fed off Buffy to heal himself at the end of season 3. (He needed to drink the blood of a Slayer for some reason.)
Old 11-22-01, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by renaldow

As for vamping Buffy, it takes more than Spike to bite her. She has to feed back off of him to replace her lost blood. They explained all that when Angel fed off Buffy to heal himself at the end of season 3. (He needed to drink the blood of a Slayer for some reason.)
Faith poisoned Angel with some sort of poison that required drinking the blood of a slayer to provide the antidote for the poison. Buffy tried getting Faith's blood for Angel to drink, but Buffy wound up gutting Faith with Faith's knife, but Faith jumped off the roof and landed on the back of a very convenient truck that was moving through area. So Buffy was left giving Angel her own blood for him to live. Angel balked at the idea until Buffy started slapping Angel around to make him become vampire Angel, who then partook in Buffy lovely neck. Angel didn't suck all of Buffy's blood. Angel took Buffy to hospital and the doctor accused them of being on drugs. Anyhow, Buffy was nursed back to health in time for her to plan to final assault on the Mayor's Ascension.
Old 11-22-01, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

KaL - KO! Did Dracula say something about her power coming from darkness?
This sucks that I won't be seeing the Buffy/Dracula episode for some time to come because it's one of the few episodes that won't be shown by FX in the 1st run re-runs, and it won't be shown by UPN's rerun schedule.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.