Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Britney Spears HBO Special 11/18

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-01, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Britney Spears HBO Special 11/18

Anyone else going to watch tonight? I caught her concert when it was here in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago and loved it, even though it cost a fortune to see. I can't wait to get a tape of it.
Old 11-18-01, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts
Re: Britney Spears HBO Special 11/18

Originally posted by NitroJMS
I can't wait to use a tape of it.
What are you doing with that tape again? I picture lots of pausing with little or no sound
Old 11-18-01, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I will watch it without the sound on...or maybe a CD of some good music.
Old 11-18-01, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Britney Spears HBO Special 11/18

Originally posted by Dr. DVD

What are you doing with that tape again? I picture lots of pausing with little or no sound
Hey, Dr. DVD. You changed my words around!

Actually, my 9 year old cousin is borrowing the tape right after I make it since she has other plans and can't see the special.
Old 11-18-01, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched it, and of course the two things that I thought would happen happened. A) She was extremely hot. B) I got bored after 10 min. But of course, that didn't stop me from cutting back during commercials.
Old 11-19-01, 12:25 AM

I flipped between this and other stuff... but I must say, it was worth switching back for the encore!!!

BTW, when is The Sopranos going to start showing the Season 2 episodes? Next week?

Brian
Old 11-19-01, 09:49 AM

I flipped back to it when commercials were on the other shows I was watching. Unfortunately, I flipped back right when she went into her introduction for that "I'm not a girl, but not a woman" song. What a load of CRAP! I wish that a shotgun at the TV would be the same as a shotgun in real life at that moment. What a hypocritical bitch...does she really believe that it is the media/publics fault for criticizing her? Note to Ms. Spears...next time you get a breast agumentation to enhance your status as a middle-aged man's sexaul fantasy don't go crying to your fans about how your mis-understood. You of all people should know that marketing made you what you are and if you want to stay there you have to put up with those "unfair" (in your mind) media types.

I just wonder how long after she falls out of popularity it will take to see her spread in Playboy....
Old 11-19-01, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I watched the whole thing (it was on while waiting for Curb Your Enthusiasm to come on my West Coast HBO feed), and I must say, I was very surprised.

I expected it to be pretty bad with a few bright spots and maybe Britney looking really hot. After watching it for 90 mins, I see that I was wrong. There were no bright spots, and it was horrendous. First off, that whole dream within a dream thing was as stupid as it gets. Thankfully, we only had to bear some 40 minutes of actual music, since most of the time was spent with silly little short videos and crap while she changed outfits. I'm sure Rob and Fab of Milli Vanilli were cringing (Rob from beyond the grave) at the horrible lip-synching. Oh, and how about that "tribute" to the Armed Forces.

"Hi people ... I have something I have to get off my chest. Thank you to the Armed Forces. How that I have your attention, let me bitch and whine for 15 minutes about how I'm not a little girl anymore, and people should all be nice to me."

I will give her credit for some of the stunts and pyrotechnics, but I guess you need stuff like that to offset an otherwise stupid show. Why people pay $100+ for that is beyond me. I was at a concert last week for a megastar rock band. It was $25, I was in the third row, and I got two opening acts and over 4 hours of non-stop LIVE (not lip-synched) music. These poor suckers pay over $100 get less than an hour of pre-recorded music. I just don't get it.

Oh, and guess who sits atop my list of people who should not be allowed to cover 'I Love Rock-n-Roll'. You guessed it. It was bad enough that she wore that stupid sock on her arm when ruining 'Walk This Way' at the Super Bowl. I was perfectly prepared to give this thing a chance, but it was absolute garbage all the way through.

das
Old 11-19-01, 09:58 AM

Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally posted by palebluedot
I will watch it without the sound on...or maybe a CD of some good music.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 11-19-01, 10:51 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by jpalm
I just wonder how long after she falls out of popularity it will take to see her spread in Playboy....
ooooh, to see her spread. yummy.
Old 11-19-01, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
...I guess you need stuff like that to offset an otherwise stupid show. Why people pay $100+ for that is beyond me.
This message brought to you by the das "Everything on TV is good" Monkey foundation.

Boy, you really ARE in a lousy mood!

Nap time?
Old 11-19-01, 11:40 AM

PICS???
Old 11-19-01, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the special but fell asleep with about 20 minutes left...partially from all the wine I drank at dinner and partially because the show sucked. (And I actually consider myself a fan of hers).

Old 11-19-01, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think tickets for Britney at Philips Arena were only $62/seat for the lower level season ticket holdr seats.
Old 11-19-01, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Patman
I think tickets for Britney at Philips Arena were only $62/seat for the lower level season ticket holdr seats.
Wow, that's cheap ... a friend of mine saw Shania at Philips, and it was $80 for anywhere but nosebleeds.

das
Old 11-19-01, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also was at the Pittsburgh show.

Britney lipsync'd more on the HBO Special then she does when the cameras are not on. She did not lipsync nearly as much at the Pittsburgh show. I don't know why, she CAN sing, and does so fine live. I don't care if you disagree, no one's opinion counts but my own

I sat thru the whole HBO concert with the sound on thank you.

I like Britney Spears, so sue me! :P And her version of Rock and Roll is awesome. Even more so live than it is on the cd.

Her concert was much better than Madonna's that recently aired too IMHO.

"I'm a - slaaaaaave - for Britney Spears"

Last edited by Eternia; 11-19-01 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-19-01, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, that's cheap ... a friend of mine saw Shania at Philips, and it was $80 for anywhere but nosebleeds.

das
Yes, I was lower level at the Britney Pittsburgh show and I believe I only paid $65. Merchandise went up tho... the Oops tour program was $15, this year the program was $25. And --- yes --- I purchased it! Yay me
Old 11-19-01, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Eternia
I like Britney Spears, so sue me! :P And her version of Rock and Roll is awesome. Even more so live than it is on the cd.
Hey, nothing wrong with liking crappy music. One man's trash is another's treasure. Still, I take issue with a bubblegum pop ho' covering a genuine rock 'n' roll legend. The only instrument Britney plays is the skin flute, and sitting in a room with 40 studio execs saying "I'd like a song about my favorite green purse, ya'll" does not count as writing lyrics. And to be fair, she's not that good a singer. But she's hot and has a good marketing department, and her label gives her their most catchy songs, so she's raking in the dough and doing HBO concerts. Good for her ... and good for her fans. But don't trample on the real musicians ... those who learn to play instruments and write music and contribute to an actual artform ... people who actually speak of real issues instead of spending 15 minutes of their concert (sic) complaining that the public is actually buying into the crap she's been selling for 4 years, and now she doesn't like it ... aww ... poor Bwitney.

I dunno why, but I really hate it when these self-involved studio puppets mess with actual music. Stay on your side of the fence ... that's fine ... but stick your hand through the railing, and it might get bitten off.

das

Yeah, it's definitely been a bad day
Old 11-19-01, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First LBPound, now das.

What the hell is the world comin' to?

Old 11-19-01, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

her ... and good for her fans. But don't trample on the real musicians ... those who learn to play instruments and write music and contribute to an actual artform ...
Brit isn't musician. She is a singer. There is nothing wrong with someone just wanting to SING.
Old 11-19-01, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Meatpants
PICS???
http://www.worldofbritney.com/picsec...caps/hbo.shtml

Enjoy
Old 11-19-01, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dunno why, but I really hate it when these self-involved studio puppets mess with actual music.
See, to me, and others, "your" music is not actual music. It hurts my ears and concerts were people stand there for like 2 hours with a guitar in their hand half drunk and just singing bores me. For example, for some reason I ended up at a Bon Jovi concert. It had to be the most boring moment in my life. Plus, it is just stupid that every non-pop fan seems to have the notion that every pop artist is a little puppet. Really, some people need to get out of the sterotypes. Pop music is just as good as anything else. It is here, live with it.

Oh well, I do not even pay attention to the Britney rants really because everyone said the same thing about basically every other artist in history.

Everyone has their own musical tastes and no one is better than the other except in our own opinions. And, of course, I am sick of arguing so I am done.
Old 11-19-01, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Brit isn't musician. She is a singer. There is nothing wrong with someone just wanting to SING.
Seems like we agree. Wanna talk sometime? My e-mail is [email protected]
Old 11-19-01, 10:40 PM
Needs to provide a working email

You can't single out Britney for having an unremarkable voice and vapid songs, relying on her sex appeal and her dance routines to drive her lip-synced "concerts". You can't do that because it describes ALL of the current pop teenage "I may look, dress, move, and talk like a whore but I'm really as pure as driven snow" girls.
Old 11-20-01, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

See, to me, and others, "your" music is not actual music. It hurts my ears and concerts were people stand there for like 2 hours with a guitar in their hand half drunk and just singing bores me. For example, for some reason I ended up at a Bon Jovi concert. It had to be the most boring moment in my life. Plus, it is just stupid that every non-pop fan seems to have the notion that every pop artist is a little puppet. Really, some people need to get out of the sterotypes. Pop music is just as good as anything else. It is here, live with it.

Gross generalization. My complaint is with Britney alone ... sure, there are other bubblegum pop ho's that I don't like, but they're not relevant to this discussion, so I didn't bring them up. There are many pop stars that I do like, because they can really sing or have a talent worth paying attention to, but again, not relevant, so I didn't bring them up. Also, stick to the issue ... Britney's covering of a Joan Jett song. This has nothing to do with Bon Jovi.

As I said, I have no problem with Britney doing what she does. Obviously there's a market for it. Try not to confuse my complaint. Sure, I think she's crap, but that's just an opinion, and I recognize that. In the pop industry, I think she's a talentless ho'. There are plenty others who can really sing, or God forbid ... write songs. Personal opinions.

I just don't want her "covering" a geniune female rock legend. If Britney learned to play the guitar or something and made an effort to identify with the music, then we could talk. But simply vocalizing over someone else's hard work (lip-synching in concert (sic) of course) and then adding a choreographed dance to it? I dunno ... seeing crap like that makes me angry (obviously ).

Oh well, I do not even pay attention to the Britney rants really because everyone said the same thing about basically every other artist in history.

Yep ... whenever someone gets down on Britney, just retort with "yeah ... but at least she doesn't suck as much as the Beatles." That'll get'em off your back.

Everyone has their own musical tastes and no one is better than the other except in our own opinions. And, of course, I am sick of arguing so I am done.

Just to be clear ... my problem's not with her music, but her straying into other people's music. The analogy is flawed, but for argument's sake consider Bon Jovi putting 'Hit Me Baby One More Time' on their next album. I'd be just as unhappy with them as I am with Britney.

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.