Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Britney Spears HBO Special 11/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Britney Spears HBO Special 11/18

Old 11-20-01, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
Just to be clear ... my problem's not with her music, but her straying into other people's music. The analogy is flawed, but for argument's sake consider Bon Jovi putting 'Hit Me Baby One More Time' on their next album. I'd be just as unhappy with them as I am with Britney.

das
I think there is an unwritten rule here that all must agree with das, but that non-withstanding I completely back him up in his complaint about covering songs. Personally, I wish that songs couldn't be covered by other recording artists. Sure there are covers out there that are widely accepted as better than the originals, but I would rather lose those songs than have Britney (or any other performer) butcher Joan Jett or the Rolling Stones into something much less than the originals.

I know that such a "perfect" world will never exist in an industry driven by profit, but I would gladly lose any of the covers that I think are better than the originals to prevent travesties such as Britney's cover of Joan Jett. Find me a music historian that thinks Britney has positively impacted a single song she has covered and I will go out and buy all of her albums.
Old 11-20-01, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jpalm
I think there is an unwritten rule here that all must agree with das, but that non-withstanding I completely back him up in his complaint about covering songs.
As per usual, I have no idea if I've just been insulted or complemented (are you Wizdar in disguise? ), but nonetheless, it's great to know that someone understands where I'm coming from on this issue.

das
Old 11-20-01, 09:21 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hey Das, I thought your rants were limited to mondays.

I know all musicians dream of 'making it big', but pop music just seems to be about giving people what they want. "Our studies indicate virgins who dress like street-walkers are hot, hot, hot."

Then again, Madonna didn't write her early stuff either IIRC. She does now right? Lots of bands start off barely being able to play the instruments (or couldn't play at all like the Beastie Boys), but they get better with time.

Make no mistake, pop music is commercial and vacuous, but then what else are the kids gonna listen to?
Old 11-20-01, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by MrN
Hey Das, I thought your rants were limited to mondays.
Just tying up loose ends.

das
Old 11-20-01, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das "I'm still cranky" Monkey
(are you Wizdar in disguise? )
Old 11-20-01, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife turned this on for 30 seconds so we could laugh

she can't even lip synch well !!! You could hear the recording under her "live vocals" and she couldn't even get the timing of her own crappy songs right hahahahaha
Old 11-20-01, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Apocrypha
My wife turned this on for 30 seconds so we could laugh

she can't even lip synch well !!! You could hear the recording under her "live vocals" and she couldn't even get the timing of her own crappy songs right hahahahaha
Yeah, that one song was really bad where you could hear her voice (not singing, but more like yelling) over the recording. I guess someone forgot to turn off her microphone.

das
Old 11-20-01, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just don't want her "covering" a geniune female rock legend. If Britney learned to play the guitar or something and made an effort to identify with the music, then we could talk[/B]
Then you should be mad at whoever owns the rights to Joan's song that let Britney re-do it Get over it.
Old 11-20-01, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Eternia

Then you should be mad at whoever owns the rights to Joan's song that let Britney re-do it Get over it.
Correction: ....that let Britney's team of Tiger Beat writers re-do it.
Old 11-21-01, 07:20 PM

Not that I wanted to watch it,but I couldnt.I was at a real concert that was down the street from the MGM..............U2!!
Old 11-21-01, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by vman69
Not that I wanted to watch it,but I couldnt.I was at a real concert that was down the street from the MGM..............U2!!
U2 sucks. All they do is write their own lyrics and music and play a bunch of instruments. Anyone can do that. OK ... OK ... so some of their music has inspired the entire world ... but that's child's play.

das

Seriously, "Pop" did suck.
Old 11-21-01, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still does. But, Dood, you need to "get some" I think.

Old 11-21-01, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Wizdar
Still does. But, Dood, you need to "get some" I think.

True ... it's been almost 3 hours now.

das

P.S. In the frightening case where this isn't clear, my previous post about U2 was sarcasm ... except for 'Pop' which sucks.
Old 11-22-01, 08:50 AM

U2 sucks. All they do is write their own lyrics and music and play a bunch of instruments. Anyone can do that. OK ... OK ... so some of their music has inspired the entire world ... but that's child's play.

das

Your right, it does suck A$$
Old 11-22-01, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

P.S. In the frightening case where this isn't clear, my previous post about U2 was sarcasm ... except for 'Pop' which sucks.
Originally posted by Bono
As per usual, I have no idea if I've just been insulted or complemented (are you Wizdar in disguise? )
Old 11-22-01, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I just feel the need to point out that Joan Jett did not write "I Love Rock & Roll."
Old 11-23-01, 08:37 AM

That was pretty much the worst concert besides the Michael Jackson thing (on CBS) I have seen. Who designed the costuming anyway for all her backup dancers? FEH. I actually like a couple songs of hers...she can't even synch the entire version of them?? And I will finale with this...Jon Voight??? A huge WHATEVER on that one
Old 11-23-01, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mots2
And I will finale with this...Jon Voight??? A huge WHATEVER on that one
I had blocked that from my memory. Selective traumatic amnesia. The whole concept of the "concert" was horrid. The dream within a dream thing ... and then storytime with Jon Voight? I'm not too thrilled with the idea of her spending so much time trying to sell this "adult" image but still pandering to the little girls with the whole storytime thing. Agreed ... whatever.

das
Old 11-23-01, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

das Monkey,

Why didn't you just turn if off if you thought it was that bad? The Jon Voight segment was like 20 minutes into the show, so there must have been some reason you were still watching.
Old 11-24-01, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by NitroJMS
das Monkey,

Why didn't you just turn if off if you thought it was that bad? The Jon Voight segment was like 20 minutes into the show, so there must have been some reason you were still watching.
Hey, I'm just responding to other people's comments. Not trying to thread crap ... I watched the whole thing, and it was horrid, and I have cited specific examples.

As for why I watched, I've been in the habit of watching HBO Sunday night from 8pm-11pm for the past 3 years. So, I am set up to record all the other shows on during that timeslot. I was working on some stuff for Monday morning, and I figured I'd let it run in the background and watch my recorded stuff when I normally do. Not being a fan ... in fact, completely indifferent ... I was curious if she had any genuine talent or if she was a studio puppet. Many artists have unique talents but are forced to play the "game" to get some exposure ... like, say, Christina Aguilera.

And as I've noted many times, I think it's absurd for anyone to speak ill of something they haven't at least given a chance. How many times do we hear "I HATE THAT SHOW .... I'VE NEVER WATCHED A SINGLE EPISODE" on this forum. Stuff like that annoys the crap out of me, and I make a conscious effort to give everything it's fair shot, including Britney. Having now done so, I believe her to be of moderate talent and high annoyance, and the "concert" led me to believe that she's a Diva in Training with all her self-absorbed rambling. There are 10,000 other young women who could do what she does at the same level ... she just happens to have a pretty face, big hooters, and friends in the right places.

And you're right ... I was pretty fed up with this thing 20 minutes into it, but by then it made sense to just wash some dishes and wait for 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' to come on.

das

P.S. I'm not on any crusade here ... I just posted my opinions and moved on. But people kept quoting my posts, and it would be rude not to respond.
Old 11-24-01, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by NitroJMS
Why didn't you just turn if off if you thought it was that bad?
The Monkey TV doesn't have an off button.

Yah, like Wizdar should talk...
Old 11-24-01, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Monkey TV doesn't have an off button.

Yah, like Wizdar should talk...
... I could have saved myself a lot of typing had I just said that. But it's true ... the TV is always on. Some people have suggested that I turn it off when I'm not around, but what if it doesn't turn back on? WHAT IF IT DOESN'T TURN BACK ON?!?!?! I couldn't handle it ... it makes me shudder just thinking about it. I don't think I want to talk about this anymore.

das
Old 11-24-01, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think I want to talk about this anymore.
Yah, but you have to, since I just quoted you.

[Maverick] I crack myself up! [/Tom Cruise]

Old 11-24-01, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yah, but you have to, since I just quoted you.

[Maverick] I crack myself up! [/Tom Cruise]

If I were human, I believe my response would be ... "psst ... that's Goose's line" ... if I were human.

das

"Come on, Mav' ... do some of that pilot sh|t"

Last edited by das Monkey; 11-25-01 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-25-01, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't shoot this sonuvabitch. Let's see if we can have a little fun with him...
If I were human, I believe my response would be ... "psst ... that's Goose's line"
Well, then it's a good thing you aren't human. Heh, heh, heh.

"That's a negative, Ghost Rider. The pattern is full."

>>>>>Whoooooowizdaroooshhhhhhh>>>>>>>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.