TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy The Musical 11/06/01 - are you psyched?

Old 11-06-01, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Buffy The Musical 11/06/01 - are you psyched?

After reading some early Canadian reviews of tonight's Buffy the Musical episode, I'm really psyched about the show.
Old 11-06-01, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's annoying, because everything in my heart tells me to trust Joss and Co. It tells me to remember 'Hush' and to remember 'The Body'. But the previews look a little poor, and the songs I've heard from the soundtrack aren't very well done. To be fair, though, I only listened to a couple of songs (those that are already hinted at in previews) so as not to spoil anything for me. As is always the case with 'Buffy', I expect the marketing to have poorly represented the episode and for it to seriously kick ass when it actually airs. As elektra would say if she were with us today, I'm totally stoked!

das
Old 11-06-01, 11:26 AM

I'm not really psyched. It's as if the writers have run out of ideas, so their now stealing gimmicks from other shows. The whole thing has a "been there done that" feel to it.

If I have to tape Treehouse of Horror because my wife isn't home, then I'll probably watch Buffy. Otherwise, I'll pass.
Old 11-06-01, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, what happened to elektra and warrior princess?
Old 11-06-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Patman
BTW, what happened to elektra and warrior princess?
I think elektra took some time off. That's understandable ... sometimes the politics around here get too unbearable ... I had to leave for 6 months or so once just to clear my head.

No clue on the princess ... I miss them.

das
Old 11-06-01, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The hype surrounding it is just that. I could care less. Hey, they are on a new network that wants to promote it more. Even Hush was still not nearly played up as big a deal. I am just as excited as I am for any old Buffy. I trust the creative team because they have always constantly surprised me and can make the most simple, generic, or gimmacky plots have emotion and ingenuity I never thought possible. End of story.
Old 11-06-01, 02:33 PM

Screw all you guys, this is gonna be awesome. I love any out-of-place musical, though, ie, South Park: BLU. I get all giddy from watching the trailer. Only 4.5 hours! Sweet!
Old 11-06-01, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Neeperando
Screw all you guys, this is gonna be awesome. I love any out-of-place musical, though, ie, South Park: BLU. I get all giddy from watching the trailer. Only 4.5 hours! Sweet!
Since only one person in here disagreed with you, I wouldn't get your panties too ruffled on this. Thanks to FX, the waiting seems less painful, since I can catch two Buffys at 6 and 7.

das
Old 11-06-01, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm more excited because it's a turning-point "plot ep" and because it's "different" than the musical aspect specifically... I mean, I actually love musicals, but I don't expect the songwriting or singing to be up to Broadway standards... I'm a bit worried about the songs, in fact... Hope I'm wrong!
Old 11-06-01, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm also trying to decide if I should watch it with the closed captions on, to make sure I don't miss any lyrics... Maybe I'll save that for viewing #2....
Old 11-06-01, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by adamblast
I'm also trying to decide if I should watch it with the closed captions on, to make sure I don't miss any lyrics... Maybe I'll save that for viewing #2....
Watchout! You just set my Geekdar off!

I think it will be an interesting episode, and I am looking forward to it. I'm more interested in seeing how it's going to be pulled off than the musical numbers themselves.

The show has looked like it was going to jump the shark so many times in the past, but the actors and writers have an uncanny ability to make just about anything believable.

I don't think it will be the best thing since sliced bread, but I do think it will be good.
Old 11-06-01, 03:25 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Spike tune sounds like it ROCKS!

Looking forward to it.
Old 11-06-01, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by MrN
The Spike tune sounds like it ROCKS!

Looking forward to it.
After listening to it a few times, I like the song itself, but I'm not too big on Marsters' singing ability. All I had was audio though, so it'll be interesting to see if there's more to it with the dancing and stuff.

das
Old 11-06-01, 04:03 PM

Buffy the Musical - Review

I was pretty psyched before, but after reading this review...

Well, check it out for yourself:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...1/06/DD433.DTL
Old 11-06-01, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to make too much of it, but Herc's AICN review is an all-out drooling rave as well...
Old 11-06-01, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ten minutes in, and I'm dying here. This is freaking hilarious...
Old 11-06-01, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They got the mustard out.
Old 11-06-01, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is great. (Willow sounded pretty bad though)
Old 11-06-01, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the point of this episode is to show how idiotic musicals can look in certain settings. Oh well, time for Spike.
Old 11-06-01, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spike was the best performer so far. While this is a noble effort, you can tell none of these actors are professional singers.

As I sit here I wonder if Whedon ever plans to do an episode that's entirely animated? Hey, it could happen! Maybe get Don Bluth to direct it, he and Whedon did work together on Titan A.E.
Old 11-06-01, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Spike was the best performer so far. While this is a noble effort, you can tell none of these actors are professional singers.

As I sit here I wonder if Whedon ever plans to do an episode that's entirely animated? Hey, it could happen! Maybe get Don Bluth to direct it, he and Whedon did work together on Titan A.E.
I haven't seen it yet, but it's such a crime that Spike probably won't sings just a few measures of White Wedding or Rebel Yell.
Old 11-06-01, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The demon guy is an awesome singer, he must be a professional. Anya,Willow, and Buffy are not very good, and Dawn sounds dubbed. I predict a finale number soon.
Old 11-06-01, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't know it was possible for me to have any more respect for this show. The fact that their singing abilities aren't stellar just makes me love this episode more. I'm just in absolute awe of the boldness and bravery of this show. I know every week that I'll be treated to incredible quality, and yet they still manage to surprise me.

das
Old 11-06-01, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought Anya actually sang and danced incredibly well. And the rest of them are much better than I expected (I agree about Dawn though... sounds very dubbed).
Old 11-06-01, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay... my TiVo switched channels to record a different show so fill me in please

Spoiler:
I saw up to the point where Buffy started smoking, and Spike ran in to help her. Then my channel changed. By the time I got the right channel again, Spike was walking out, and then Buffy/Spike kissed. What did I miss. How did they kill the baddie, and why were they still singing afterwards?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.