Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffy The Musical 11/06/01 - are you psyched?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy The Musical 11/06/01 - are you psyched?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-01, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are some decent 192/44 MP3's on the soundtracks newsgroup if anyone's interested. It looks like all the songs from the episode.
Old 11-07-01, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dfinney
Thrown away? How so? Their singing (and Dawn's offhand comments to Tara) didn't tell *us* anything new but told other characters a lot. Most of these story lines have been building to a head for weeks (or longer) and will take many more to resolve.
I agree completely. Nothing was 'thrown away' but instead presented easily in a way that would not cause an overly dramatic episode when all TSHTF. In the next episodes we can see all the characters dealing with their new found knowledge instead of endlessly reacting to it. Definitely a plot trick, but a good one, IMHO.
Old 11-07-01, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by renaldow

I agree completely. Nothing was 'thrown away' but instead presented easily in a way that would not cause an overly dramatic episode when all TSHTF. In the next episodes we can see all the characters dealing with their new found knowledge instead of endlessly reacting to it. Definitely a plot trick, but a good one, IMHO.
In agreement with both of you. Instead of resolving these issues, they've upped the ante with them. Everyone knows what's up now. No more prancing around the issue. Time to start facing their "demons".

I've been listening to the soundtrack all morning while working, and I'm still blown away at how incredible this episode was. It's apples and oranges, so I won't compare it with 'The Body' or 'Hush'. I payed close attention to the lyrics during the airing, but listening again, I'm finding a few more tidbits of information that I missed (always the case with any musical-type thing). I'm twitching in anticipation of what they'll pull next year.

Oh, and the "hea-ven" dropping to a minor key, I just figured it was a device for effect ... it never even occurred to me that they were expecting to hear "hell". I don't know if that was intended, but that's a very interesting thought.

das
Old 11-07-01, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by das Monkey
Oh, and the "hea-ven" dropping to a minor key, I just figured it was a device for effect ... it never even occurred to me that they were expecting to hear "hell". I don't know if that was intended, but that's a very interesting thought.
I took it to be they were expecting to hear hell. I don't remember the lyrics, maybe you can confirm or deny it, but didn't hell fit the rhyme of the song, making heaven stand out even more?
Old 11-07-01, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I took it to be they were expecting to hear hell. I don't remember the lyrics, maybe you can confirm or deny it, but didn't hell fit the rhyme of the song, making heaven stand out even more?
There was no pain
No fear no doubt
Till they pulled me out
Of hea-ven

So that's my refrain
I live in hell
Cuz I've been expelled
From hea-ven

I think I was in hea-ven

So give me something to sing about
Please give me something

Life's not a song
Life isn't bliss
Life is just this
It's liv-ing

You'll get along
The pain that you feel
You only can heel
By liv-ing

You have to go on liv-ing
So one of us is liv-ing

I interpret it as almost a bitter thing. Heaven was taken from Buffy in the same way that life was twice taken from Spike. I love how Spike knows exactly what Buffy has to do but also knows it's something he'll never have. I don't know about the "hell" thing, as I think the key drop fits on its own, but it works both ways.

das
Old 11-07-01, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm willing to wager that in 'reality' Giles and Anya do not kiss. It's going to be something that either doesn't mean anything, or is some part of a fantasy/dream.
My thoughts too. Joss cares about his secrets too much, and this would be such a whopper if true, not only would it be strange to lay it on the audience before Giles departure, but it wouldnt be something you (especially Joss) would just give away in a preview. I think it is just a tease.

I thought the ep was good, liked how they pushed so many issues to the front in such a unique way. Thought the actors voices were a little too high in the mix, but it didnt put me to sleep (I have what I call Musical Narcolepsy, narrative told though song makes me drowsy), had good development, and was funny to boot.

My BIG GRIPE- What was the deal with the selective song hearing/participation? In others words why at times did people observe someone doing a bit, or even taking part in it, everybody revealing secerets...YET when Giles sings his "I have to leave her" song in the workout room, Buffy doesnt hear a lick? At the same time, Tara did as well in the Magic Box loft. The demon dude said what he was doing was driving people too far, making them reveal to each other, yet they had some of those bits go unoticed? I cry foul..... Obviously the hand of a writer who wants to save some of those points for later, but still wants some singing about them. .
Old 11-07-01, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Obviously the hand of a writer who wants to save some of those points for later, but still wants some singing about them.
Somewhat yes, but I think part of it was that this was like a musical, and very often in a musical there is a scene or two where a character sings a song around the others, and they don't "hear" it. I forget the exact term for it... but it happens.
Old 11-07-01, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I thought it was outstandingly well done. The songs, the visuals, the lyrics, the way it furthered the plot (a lot!), it all clicked. I'm not a big buffy fan but i keep up on it and I was really impressed with this one like I was with "Hush". Just great work.
Old 11-07-01, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
If Buffy was pulled out of Heaven to come back and live the life she must, then it must suck to be her. IMO, Buffy has more than enough reason to hold a grudge against the Scooby gang. She said in her lyircs she was "expelled from heaven," so that might mean she can no longer return and will either go to hell or wonder the earth in limbo for eternity.

Who knows, maybe her sould is still in heaven and she will turn into a flesh eating zombie or something. I guess this might be the season that Whedon decides to have some major characters fall hard from grace. This could be the last year the Scooby gang is together!
Old 11-07-01, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by BizRodian

Somewhat yes, but I think part of it was that this was like a musical, and very often in a musical there is a scene or two where a character sings a song around the others, and they don't "hear" it. I forget the exact term for it... but it happens.
Except Xander and Anya weren't singing to each other and they heard each other. They were mad at the demon for forcing them to divulge each other's secrets.

Also, there's a line in "I'll Never Tell" when Anya says, "His penis got diseases from the Shumash Tribe." Does anyone know what this is referring to? Maybe I'm just hearing it wrong.

I've been listening to this stuff all day, and I'm loving it more each time. Congrats to Joss and Co.
Old 11-07-01, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Neeperando

Also, there's a line in "I'll Never Tell" when Anya says, "His penis got diseases from the Shumash Tribe." Does anyone know what this is referring to? Maybe I'm just hearing it wrong.
It's from an old episode (Pangs), I think:
Spoiler:
Angel is in Sunnydale watching over Buffy (secretly) because Doyle had a vision that Buffy was in trouble.
At the ground-breaking ceremony for a new cultural center on campus, Xander (working as one of the diggers?) unearths the lost Sunnydale "Mission". Subsequently he gets very sick; Anya is there to take care of him.
Willow thinks Thanksgiving represents the slaughter of the Native American people by the white man, but Buffy wants to have dinner anyway because it makes her think of her childhood and family; so they plan a dinner at Giles's place.
A green mist released from the Mission takes the form of a Native American, who kills the head of the cultural center.
The Native American took a Shumash dagger from the old Cultural Center; research turns up the evils done to the Shumash tribe. When Buffy encounters H---, the Native American, she is unable to kill him because she feels guilty. He turns into a flock of crows which is really cool.
Everyone gathers at Giles's house. Xander is suffering from all sorts of diseases which Europeans brought to America and thus inflicted on the Native Americans. He and Giles want to kill the demon, Willow wants to do nothing, and Buffy wants to find a non-Slay way to stop his vengeance killing. Spike (who's starving since he can't kill to eat) shows up at the door, and they let him in because he can't bite and he has info on the Initiative. He has kind of an interesting outlook on the whole situation (more below).
The Native American calls a bunch of other warrior spirit demons, and they attack Giles's house trying to get Buffy, whom they perceive to be a fighting-type leader of the people. Everyone fights back, including Willow; Angel is there too, but he stays outside. The warrior can only be harmed with his own weapons, so after he turns into a bear, Buffy stabs him. All the warriors disappear.
Xander lets slip that Angel was in town.

Edited to add: swiped from "http://www.unc.edu/~mlejane/BSeason4/BPangs/BPangs.html"

Last edited by CaptainMarvel, Esq.; 11-07-01 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-07-01, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This episode was brilliant. Very well done, it was fun but dark at the same time and fit right into the series. I download the soundtrack just for fun...it's great!
Old 11-07-01, 05:15 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by CrashMan
There are some decent 192/44 MP3's on the soundtracks newsgroup if anyone's interested. It looks like all the songs from the episode.

Any good place to get these for someone without newsgroup access?
Old 11-07-01, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by MrN

I'm sure they will make it to the P2Ps very soon.
Old 11-07-01, 07:32 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by CrashMan
I'm new to this...what and where is the "soundtracks newsgroup"? Thanks.
Old 11-07-01, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by KrazyKal99

I'm new to this...what and where is the "soundtracks newsgroup"? Thanks.
Newsgroups(also called usenet) are a forum for posting and downloading just about anything you could possibly think of, tons of other stuff that you could never think of, and a whole bunch of things that you would never want to think of. There are thousands upon thousands of newsgroups.

The "soundtracks" newsgroup is, more specifically, alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.soundtracks. You can gain access to the newsgroups for free but the file retention on the free servers is terrible. I use a pay service called Newsfeeds, where the file retention is very good.

The newsgroups service itself is not illegal(yet) but of course the downloading of software, movies, music, etc and using this material...certainly is. To be honest I have no idea how the newsgroups are still able to function but I think the news servers are probably kept in countries where there is no law against distribution of copyrighted material, that's my guess anyway.

Last edited by palebluedot; 11-07-01 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-08-01, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Except Xander and Anya weren't singing to each other and they heard each other. They were mad at the demon for forcing them to divulge each other's secrets.
Because they were supposed to. It was that type of song.
Old 11-08-01, 05:34 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks palebluedot. That takes care of a LOT of my questions. I appreciate it.

Kal
Old 11-08-01, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by MrN

I downloaded all of the songs from Kazaa.com last night. Going to be listening to them at work today!!
Old 11-08-01, 06:08 AM

Anyone know where to get the lyrics to the songs for this ep?
Old 11-08-01, 08:35 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Smutman769
Anyone know where to get the lyrics to the songs for this ep?
Looks like their maybe a cd release in the future.

I found this website with the lyrics

http://buffy.randomwhim.com/omwflyrics.html
Old 11-08-01, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Kazaa

Any advice on downloading the music from Kazaa?

Was the soundtrack on one file? Or did you download individual songs? If individual...would you mind saying the names of some of the songs?

Thanks
Old 11-08-01, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do a search for "Buffy Musical". This should help.
Old 11-08-01, 06:09 PM

I really enjoyed this episode it was very different and I liked how it tied into the story lines it is a great show and great cast its gonna be sad when Giles goes for good.
Old 11-09-01, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, the sydicated rerun starts tomorrow. I'll tape it even though it is edited so I can have one copy with a decent picture. Anyone know what musical number(s) they will edit?

My guess... Most likey- Tara's song to Willow, or Anya and Xanders song and dance...combined with a little editing to Dawn's dance number, because those three are the most superfulous to the actual story.

Also, on a very disheartening note, Buffy The Musical severely underpreformed in the ratings. With all the push and hype and advertising up the wazoo, they didnt pull in may new converts, just kept basically the same veiwers (and couldnt beat Gilmore Girls for Petes sake!). UPN is most likely going to rethink making a big deal over such niche episodes in the future, because it just didnt pull many new people in, lost advertising $money$. In other words, why I hate hype. Just let Buffy be Buffy and pull in newbies through the reruns and the DVD market.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 11-09-01 at 02:23 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.