Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

'Invisible Man' Letter-Writing Campaign ... Please Support

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-01, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Invisible Man' Letter-Writing Campaign ... Please Support

I'm sure few people in here watch 'The Invisible Man' on the Sci-Fi channel. It airs Friday nights at 8pm, which is certainly not the best timeslot. Sci-Fi would have been smart to use 'Farscape' as a lead-in instead of the other way around, but what's done is done.

For those who don't watch, it's a fabulous show. In fact, it's one of my favorites, and considering the amount of television I watch and how critical I am of the shows I enjoy, I think that's a compliment.

Anyway, in their finite wisom, the Sci-Fi Channel has cancelled this show (yet, it's renewed 'The Chonicle'???). Now, the Sci-Fi Channel isn't like ABC or other networks, where a letter-writing campaign has little chance of working. Their market is already so small that a large group of fans can make a difference. And they are trying to do just that.

Anyone who wants to see a return for this show ... anyone who just wants to help me out ... anyone who hates 90% of the stupid crap the Sci-Fi Channel shows on a regular basis ... and anyone who is just bored ... please visit this site:

http://home.att.net/~skates/SaveIMAN.htm

It's not the most impressive web site, but the letter writing campaign is intelligently organized and shows promise of success, especially since the guys at USA are looking at snagging the show. Along with some mailing to the advertisers, I sent the following message to the Sci-Fi Channel's programming department:

Just wanted to drop a note of thanks for cancelling 'The Invisible Man'. It and 'Farscape' are two of the most enjoyable shows on television, and it takes up too much of my time watching them and paying attention to the advertisers that pay for revenue during those timeslots. Thankfully, now I can spend my time in other ways and avoid spending my money on the products advertised on your network. It also frees up space for more great programming like 'Aligator 2: The Mutation' and the visionary exploration of the human condition known as 'Black Scorpion'. Now, if you could just cancel 'Farscape' and not order a series from 'Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers', I'll have absolutely no reason to ever watch your channel again, which as I pointed out before, saves me money. Thank you! You're the greatest!
das
Old 11-03-01, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife and I have been watching this show from the beginning. It is surprisingly good - good cast, good writing. One thing I like is that just about every show seems to be about something very important for at least one of the characters - and well done; kind of a series of "very special episodes" without the NBC hype.

I did not know the show had been cancelled. I will visit the site soon.
Old 11-03-01, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Added my name. Seems scifi wants to elimate all the of their original series that they use to promote so much. Man first 'first wave' now 'invisible man' and my guess is farscape is almost done.
Old 11-04-01, 01:02 AM
Cool New Member

When did this happen!!?!?
God damnit.. It was a good show too, .. reminds me of G vs E, and thats gone too
well im definately in on this
Old 11-04-01, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
das, I'm beginning to either think you are multiple people or you have no life! Are there any shows on tv you don't watch?
Old 11-04-01, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Deftones17
das, I'm beginning to either think you are multiple people or you have no life! Are there any shows on tv you don't watch?
I certainly hope not ... if you can think of any, please let me know. I'll start watching them immediately.

That would be funny, though ... the 'das Monkey' network of TV watchers and posters.

Seriously, I don't watch many sit-coms or other inane television anymore. I still watch Spin City and SportsNight reruns, but I think that's it. And no game shows or reality TV (except Survivor and Tough Enough). It'd be easier if I didn't love sports so much, but luckily it's pretty easy to watch a football game and a TV show at the same time, especially with TiVo.

On topic, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who watches 'The Invisible Man'. Please take the time to write a letter or two to the sponsors and Sci-Fi Channel. It's one thing to be angry about the cancellation of a show ... but it won't do much good if we don't write some letters. Thanks!

das
Old 11-04-01, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, count me as another fan...I've actually only gotten into it the past year, since its been in syndicated reruns. (I'm not a big fan of any ScFi shows, so I had strayed from watching Invisible Man until I caught the reruns). It is a consistent, witty, albeit low budget show, but its well developed. I'm sad to see it go, and while I think its far too low profile to be saved, I'll sign the letter.

I think its my plague in life to like shows like this, and the all time greatest television show ever, Mystery Science Theater 3000, stuff that gets cast aside for the banal junk. Oh well. Poop.
Old 11-04-01, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by truent
When did this happen!!?!?
God damnit.. It was a good show too, .. reminds me of G vs E, and thats gone too
well im definately in on this
Ah yes G vs E, that show ruled. Ya gotta love any show that has Deacon Jones in it. I'm surprised that the invisible man is being cancelled at one time it was their highest rated show.
Old 11-04-01, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by strife
Added my name. Seems scifi wants to elimate all the of their original series that they use to promote so much. Man first 'first wave' now 'invisible man' and my guess is farscape is almost done.
Farscape was just renewed for seasons 4, 5, and 6 just recently (within the past few weeks) so thats pretty much safe, considering its the highest rated show on a low rated cable network.

Also GvsE was originally a USA show, if I'm correct, Sci-Fi just picked up the rights to the already aired shows (or had them transfered from sister network USA.)
Old 11-04-01, 10:53 PM
Banned

Is this show on cable on late night syndication? If it is, I'll sign it just to show support.
Old 11-05-01, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Aaron Amos
Is this show on cable on late night syndication? If it is, I'll sign it just to show support.
It airs on Fridays on Sci-Fi and then in late night syndication in many markets.

das
Old 11-05-01, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I was resistant to the show when it first aired, but it has been one of my favorites for the past season or more... Great ensemble cast and snappy dialog. This past season had the show heading in great new directions... Grrr...

Count me in!