Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Boston Public 10/29 - Anyone watch it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boston Public 10/29 - Anyone watch it?

I missed the first 50 minutes of this episode - if anyone who watched it would be kind enough to post a synopsis (preferably detailed), I would appreciate it very much. Thanks
Old 10-29-01, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
Jeri Ryan started it out with a shower with Billy Zane (her "X"). She was going in as a favor to Harry to talk to the class. She was asked to show her breasts. Two kids broke out in a fight toward the end of class, Harry broke it up, and they ended up "boxing" in the middle of the classroom. Guber was all uppity, of course. Ends up they were in a gang, and he kept them from killing each other. The father of one of them came in and thanked him for saving his son's life. Psycho Jeremy brought a hand in from home to dissect, saying it was "borrowed" from a friend in med school. A couple teachers went to his home to see "mother". She was hiding her arm under a plate full of cookies. The plate was knocked down, showing her missing a hand. She says she lost it in a "chainsaw gardening accident". Jeri Ryan decides to quit her lawyer job and become a teacher. I think that was it.
Old 10-29-01, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also
Spoiler:
Lipshultz, or whoever that teacher is, called a student a d*ck for questioning why they need to know specific dates from so long ago in America history (something we ALL questioned in high school )

And there were a few more sideplots, including Michael Rappaport's new charcter
Spoiler:
a funny little scene at the beginning involving his students wanting a class discussion about masturbation, during which he briefly noted that he has fantasized about some of the students - I have a feeling this may be brought up again
- I always love seeing him on TV...

And, I thought that was Billy Zane... but for some reason, he looked just different enough than how I remembered him that I figured it wasn't him in the end.

I enjoyed the show, as I always do, but once again, it just seemed like there was WAY too much happening for the first couple days of school. I know they have to exaggerate an all to keep it interesting, but they always go over the edge with this show. Still, I love it - by the way, was it nominated for any emmy's last year??
Old 10-29-01, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
and a bunch of girls wanted to start a "fat girl club" and asked marla to sponser it but she got pissed cuz she thought htey were calling her fat. hanson got all into how he didnt like fat people or something and pissed her off more, he apoligizes at the end.

it wasn't the first day of school...its the middle of the term, the short doctor congradulated jeremy on a 100 on the midterm.

i do think its a bit much to have all your teachers freak out at the beginning of the episode...the fight, masturbation, dick.

but great show!

i'm glad they're addressing the fact that they just hire any shmoe off the street next week. also, did they imply the girl would have to leave school cuz she's pregnant, i guess we'll find out next week, but that seems odd, i had a bunch of girls in mys chool that were pregnant
Old 10-29-01, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jeri Ryan

that's the only thing I saw for the entire hour.
Yeah baby
Old 10-30-01, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ok, i really liked the show last year but for some reason i see this show spiraling into the realm of ludicrous this year (moreso then normal that is). i really hope not but i guess time will tell. i wish that we had someone like jeri ryan at the school where i teach. it sure would make things easier.
Old 10-30-01, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Woo hoo!!! For those of you that think the show is starting to get a bit ridiculous, you are absolutely correct. Thankfully, this time Kelley made it ridiculous very early on and has kept the theme going strong. Consequently, I don't feel disappointed like I did with 'The Practice' and 'Ally McBeal'. I expect this show to be farfetched, and I love it! I had forgotten how much fun this show is until it started up again last night. I'm completely hooked again. This show's not going to change the world or anything, but it's sure is incredibly entertaining. Both Rappaport and Ryan were great additions to the cast. I also hope Billy Zane hangs around a bit longer ... his character was priceless.

"I wanna be a teacher."
"I'm going to say something now that you might not like ... where are you in your cycle?"

das
Old 10-30-01, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by das Monkey
Woo hoo!!! For those of you that think the show is starting to get a bit ridiculous, you are absolutely correct. Thankfully, this time Kelley made it ridiculous very early on and has kept the theme going strong. Consequently, I don't feel disappointed like I did with 'The Practice' and 'Ally McBeal'. I expect this show to be farfetched, and I love it! I had forgotten how much fun this show is until it started up again last night. I'm completely hooked again. This show's not going to change the world or anything, but it's sure is incredibly entertaining. Both Rappaport and Ryan were great additions to the cast. I also hope Billy Zane hangs around a bit longer ... his character was priceless.

"I wanna be a teacher."
"I'm going to say something now that you might not like ... where are you in your cycle?"

das
Yeah, but there's a problem when they get ridiculous. The writers attempt to tackle real life issues in the show - but they've made the stage on which they present them so ridiculous that you're unable to take it seriously. It's one thing to present it as ridiculous for satire's sake, but that is clearly not the avenue chosen.
Old 10-30-01, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Duran

Yeah, but there's a problem when they get ridiculous. The writers attempt to tackle real life issues in the show - but they've made the stage on which they present them so ridiculous that you're unable to take it seriously. It's one thing to present it as ridiculous for satire's sake, but that is clearly not the avenue chosen.
I agree to an extent, and that is why I don't take this show seriously. Like I said, it won't change the world, and I don't think it accurately portrays high school in general, high school teachers, or high school students with any level of accuracy. But it's very entertaining, and it's maintained a constant level of "ridiculocity" (my new Gee Dubya word for the day). If you interpret the events in the context of this ridiculous world they've created, it can still be a powerful show. Look at 'Picket Fences'. That was one whack'd show, but a very powerful one nonetheless. Everything's in context. If the show took itself too seriously and then gave us random flashes of absurdity, I'd get annoyed, but it seems to be constantly over-the-top, and I have no problem with that.

das
Old 10-30-01, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The only thing I can't stand are those ridiculous wigs that Billy Zane wears. If you're a baldie, play a baldie!

BP is still pretty entertaining. Did anyone buy Nicky Katt's "I'm so tired of all this educating" speech that he gave Jeri Ryan? It seems badly written to me. Will they "hook up"?

Does anyone buy Jeremy's mother's explanation of how her hand was cut off? I don't.
Old 10-30-01, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I am glad this show is back on tv. It was easily one of my top 5 shows last season. The addition of Jeri Ryan makes for more eye candy! Michael Rappaport's character was funny as all hell when he went off on Marla. to the episode.
Old 10-30-01, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
I've thought about watching the show last season but never did, with the addition of Jerri Ryan I decided to tune in, pretty easy to follow for an established show and fairly well done over all.

One thing I'll note is the mother who lost her hand got old, I remeber her from Picket Fences and she looked good back then but now

I'll tune in again, any back story I should know that wasn't covered clearly last night?
Old 10-30-01, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I was looking forward to its return, and I wasn't disappointed - it will continue to be one of the few series that I watch regularly!
Old 10-30-01, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was disappointed too. Does everyone have to have a crisis *every* show?? And Ryan, big tits and all, can't act for sh*t. I like her much better as a borg. Just me though.
Old 10-30-01, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I missed the tail end of the show. Last scene I saw was Jeri Ryan telling Billy, "Big broad, strokes" and that black kid's dad thanking Harry. Anybody care to fill me in?
Old 10-30-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by jpcamb

I'll tune in again, any back story I should know that wasn't covered clearly last night?
most of the back stories involved students that graduated or teachers that were fired. I dont know if they'll really bring any old students back but they might bring teachers.

there was a lot of character development you missed last season though. the teacher that made the kids fight had a gangmember student who got killed because he didnt tell anyone about the kid, that probably influenced his choices in this episode alot
Old 10-30-01, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, last season Harry Senate and Lauren (the blond teacher) dated for awhile, so I wonder if that might come up this season. They basically broke up because they were pretty badly-suited for each other (she is more serious and he wasn't).

With Jeri Ryan in the cast now, I wonder if Lauren's character won't be that prominent.

I can't say I'm crazy about Jessalyn Gilsig's new haircut. Thos bangs just don't look right.
Old 10-30-01, 10:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jadzia
I can't say I'm crazy about Jessalyn Gilsig's new haircut. Thos bangs just don't look right.
That's the first thing that I noticed in the opening segment ...
Old 10-30-01, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really liked this as an opener. Hopefully it'll be a good season.
Old 10-31-01, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Soup Nazi
Originally posted by Jadzia
That's the first thing that I noticed in the opening segment ...
Ditto.

Plus she was barely on the show ...
Old 10-31-01, 03:00 AM

"...Who cooks oatmeal cookies in the middle of the night with a nub?"

Old 10-31-01, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree to an extent, and that is why I don't take this show seriously. Like I said, it won't change the world, and I don't think it accurately portrays high school in general, high school teachers, or high school students with any level of accuracy. But it's very entertaining, and it's maintained a constant level of "ridiculocity" (my new Gee Dubya word for the day). If you interpret the events in the context of this ridiculous world they've created, it can still be a powerful show. Look at 'Picket Fences'. That was one whack'd show, but a very powerful one nonetheless. Everything's in context. If the show took itself too seriously and then gave us random flashes of absurdity, I'd get annoyed, but it seems to be constantly over-the-top, and I have no problem with that.

das
Never seen Picket Fences, so I can't comment on that. I agree that the show can be powerful at times, but it never makes me think about issues in a real-life context. It's just too absurd for me to bother with applying it. And I think that causes it to lose something if they plan on trying to incorporate real issues.
Old 10-31-01, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Duran

Never seen Picket Fences, so I can't comment on that. I agree that the show can be powerful at times, but it never makes me think about issues in a real-life context. It's just too absurd for me to bother with applying it. And I think that causes it to lose something if they plan on trying to incorporate real issues.
I agree with that. That's why I said "it won't change the world." I won't sit back and reevaluate my life based on something I see in this show. And it's unlikely I'll cry over the fate any of the characters. I guess what I was getting at is that it's absurdity doesn't take away from my total enjoyment of the show.

As for 'Picket Fences' ... great great great great great show. It's definitely "out there" but it's very well done. I'm sure it will show up in syndication again sometime. You should give it a look-see when it does.

das
Old 10-31-01, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As for 'Picket Fences' ... great great great great great show. It's definitely "out there" but it's very well done. I'm sure it will show up in syndication again sometime. You should give it a look-see when it does.

das
i loved that show....wasn't it on TNN syndication for a while a year ago or so