TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor 10/25/01

Old 10-25-01, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Survivor 10/25/01

Holy smokes! What an upset!

Spoiler:
Moron tribe won a great boulder race and their prize was 100 gallons of fresh water and some shampoo.

For the Immunity challenge, each tribe had to make a visible SOS sign so that a rescue plane could see it from the sky. Moron also won that challenge, so Samburu was forced to voted one out.

There's the old and the young group of 4, and Lindsay and Carl got 4 votes on the 1st vote, and on the revote after each stated their case as to why they should stay, each one got 3 votes (neither Lindsay or Carl voted). Then another tie-breaker was based on answering questions from the bush handbook, after 4 questions, Lindsay came up with the upset victory by getting that 4th questions correct while Carl didn't. So Carl was sent packing. This give the young'uns a majority to pick off all the old folks as the game goes on. This was definitely an upset.
Old 10-25-01, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That definitely sucked. Older folk in that tribe should definitely cut back a ton on all the work they've been doing. Let the Gen-X slackers do some. Also if I knew I was next in line, I'd be sure to cause the loss of next immunity challenge.

Last edited by homeslice; 10-25-01 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-25-01, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to assume that challenge was purpously vague so the producers could do whatever they wanted...

The more I watch this, the more I hate some of the tribe members...does anyone want to help another person??
Old 10-25-01, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler....

This really sucks.

Carl was one of my favorites. I was rooting for the older group to wipe out the younger group.

Now they will just gang up on the remaining 3.

Is it me or are the characters really boring ?
Old 10-25-01, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, the one I can't really stand is Linda and her "you got to respect the spirits in Africa" mumbo jumbo. She's just too smug to stick around.

This might mean the end of the Sambo's if they can't pull it together. I now am more optimistic that the Moron tribe will get more of their members in the merge. I still think Silas screwed up because he's aligned himself with 3 weak players.
Old 10-25-01, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I guess the question is which group would you rather support, the lazy workers with the decent attitude or the hard workers with the elitist snobbish attitude. If I was there, I'd support the hard workers (which was Silas's mistake), but since I'm sitting back watching from a distance, I'll support the decent attitudes.

I agree with the comment about Linda. She's the worst.

On an unrelated note, the immunity challenge was so set up to be fixed if need be. Granted Boron won easily and should have won, but if it had been close, theres no way Sanburu would have won. Being down 3 people would have been a horrible situation for CBS and for Boron.
Old 10-26-01, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

is it just me, or has the show gone down the tubes. it has definitely taken on a very "fixed" kind of feel to it. not only that, it's starting feel like the exact same thing over and over. they used to have people you loved to hate. now those same types of people are just plain annoying. i think i'll tune back in later in the season when everyone gets a lot crankier and bad tempered.
Old 10-26-01, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The fixed part might involve making sure that the tribe with paint had a challenge for creating the most visually noticeable thing. And guess what, that tribe needed help.

The show would lose viewers if Sambo won again and then just picked off the Moron tribe.

I also agree that this group is less likable. I really detest Linda, I agree with Patman. I also think the show suffers from being actually more realistic. This does not look like fun with the lack of water and all. I guess I am realizing I would rather watch a Survivor on a tropical island beach, where personal dynamics and games play a more important role than truly surviving.

Besides, the females look better near a water supply. Do you think it was coincidence the producers awarded water and shampoo?
Old 10-26-01, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let Dr. Carl go home and wax all of his luxury cars....How was he ever picked? Also, I really didn't need to see grandma wearing a thong....
Old 10-26-01, 07:42 AM

The Gen-X showed how pathetic they were by promising to fix breakfast ("you get water, I'll fix breakfast"), then informing them "your breakfast is burning.. err.. KIM BURNT IT!" after hoarding it themselves. Not only are they not team players, but they've built up such a major grudge that they'll pick off Old Folks one by one, even after the tribes merge.

Because of that, Old Folks are totally screwed no matter what they do, so I'd be reversing roles (YOU get water, and I'll cook breakfast today, *grins*).

I'm also convinced had they won that water, Gen-X would have purposely drank it all, or stored it in containers in a hidden place if possible.

Btw: You notice Brandon's Bio? Hobbies include "smoking". What kinda loser puts smoking as a hobby? Although he's gay, he was married. And although he dropped out of college, he describes himself as "smart". Mmmmmk.
Old 10-26-01, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patman
Actually, the one I can't really stand is Linda and her "you got to respect the spirits in Africa" mumbo jumbo. She's just too smug to stick around.
I agree completely...what is her friggin' problem? She needs to go and she needs to go NOW!!

This might mean the end of the Sambo's if they can't pull it together. I now am more optimistic that the Moron tribe will get more of their members in the merge. I still think Silas screwed up because he's aligned himself with 3 weak players.
It's amazing how little sense of teamwork there is in Sambo..the youngins are the laziest frickin people on the show. If I were the older folk, I would be doing as little as possible to 'help' the tribe, they're history anyway...that has been made very clear.

Also, I really didn't need to see grandma wearing a thong
That was way nasty...and what was with the feather in Tom's arse?!?!? The heat has gotten to everyone...they've all lost it..
Old 10-26-01, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,148 Likes on 702 Posts
What kind of person brings paint as a luxury item?

Glad Carl is gone. Was I the only one that got sick of him constantly saying that those 4 kids represent the laziness of Generation X? I thought they were Y & I was X? Guess he was never lazy in his entire life.

The gay dude & hippie woman are both obnoxious & need to go.

Grandma in a thong was bizarre but not so bizarre as Old fat white man running around with a feather in his butthole.

Silas was smart b/c he can pick off the young-uns easier. If he had gone with the older group, he would have been the first to be picked off. Nice to see the old group knocked down from their pedestal.

I agree with others that this has been the least enjoyable Survivor season so far. Hopefully it will get better.
Old 10-26-01, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One lasting indelible mark etched in my mind of Survivor 3 will be those shots of Thomas with the feather stuck in his fuzzed out butt.

Remember, Survivor is not all about who's the strongest, it's motto is "Outwit, outplay, outlast". So for this immunity challenge, Moron tribe simply outwitted the Sambo tribe. I have no problem with these types of challenges sprinkled into the mix. How about last week's immunity challenge: drinking cow's blood? How truly physical and grueling is that? It's not. It's about getting your mind to accept that task at hand.
Old 10-26-01, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If I were one of the "old folks" left I'd be very tempted to THROW all challanges, and give the disadvantage to their tribe knowing they'd be the ones gone and go into the merge down.

Or I guess, if you try like hell to keep winning immunity and make it to the merge, to join the other side, will work as well, and I'm sure that's what they'll "try".
Old 10-26-01, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by briank
If I were one of the "old folks" left I'd be very tempted to THROW all challanges, and give the disadvantage to their tribe knowing they'd be the ones gone and go into the merge down.

Or I guess, if you try like hell to keep winning immunity and make it to the merge, to join the other side, will work as well, and I'm sure that's what they'll "try".
What if the oldies told the lazies that they were planning on throwing the rest of the challenges...how do you think they will react??

It would be funny no matter what...this show is all but over for the next few weeks...I'll tune in after the merge.
Old 10-26-01, 09:35 AM

If I were one of the "old folks" left I'd be very tempted to THROW all challanges
Sounds good to me. You'll be voted off anyhow, might as well go out with a bang.
Old 10-26-01, 09:37 AM

I agree. Linda has got to go. She just annoys the living hell out of me with all the "idol godess" and "fill your spirit" BS.

And does anyone else just think Thomas is the biggest idiot this show has ever seen?
Old 10-26-01, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 628 Likes on 504 Posts

I couldn't agree more. The first time the word "spirits" came out of her mouth convinced me that she had to go. I can't belive that they voted off Carl instead.

As for the fixed aspect, the SOS sign with color clearly seemed more visible. Perhaps the fixing related to ensuring they had color. Nonetheless, it seemed to me that they were smarter for making the SOS sign in a clearing. The other SOS sign had trees in the middle of it, making it more difficult to see. (Of course, maybe they used a closer camera angle to make one appear more visible than the other).
Old 10-26-01, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Linda is whacked. She should go and play with the lions for a while.
Old 10-26-01, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I too was glad to see Carl go. His bitching about Generation X was really pissing me off. Yeah, let's judge an entire generation of peple by a few folks on a game show. I'm sure he didn't put himself through college and become rich all by his little self. I was so glad to see the "stupid" Generation X-er beat the smug older guy at a knowledge game.

Is anyone else tired of seeing Ethan the soccer player fall down in every physical challenge? I hope he doesn't trip all over the place on the soccer field.

I am also tired of Linda's mumbo jumbo and Frank's bossiness.

I was glad to see the Morons finally win something. Should make the show more interesting to watch. I thought last night's episode was the most exciting so far.
Old 10-26-01, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Silas did the right thing sticking with the young ones. No way he would have survived by allying with the elder.
Even booting Carl was quite smart. Everyone was expecting Frank to be targeted. As someone mentioned maybe they even thought about the tie-breaking challenge and they figured Doc would not pay too much attention to the guide (Not that Lindsey did. I mean, come on, [b]everybody/b] knows that a python can eat even a boar. Well, everybody but Doc and Lindz)

Next? Linda and Frank are the still genuinely annoyed by the mallrats, but Teresa has tried several times to get closer and he was being genuine I think. She will probably stick around more than the others.

And the "drop the challenges attitude" is stupid at this point in the game. The elders only chance is to win challenges and get in the merge with an advantage. Then try to forge some alliance with the other tribe. Slim chance to win it all, as they will most likely be ditched by the others at some point too, but at least they may get the chance to boot the mallrats first.
Old 10-26-01, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Gandalf
Silas did the right thing sticking with the young ones. No way he would have survived by allying with the elder.
I disagree. It worked out in the end, but if I had the choice of being guaranteed to be going into the merger with 4 strong people by picking off some weak freeloaders (nice tho they may be) OR betting my future in the game on whether Lindsay could win a tiebreak against Carl ... well, I know which way I'd go. Silas plus the 4 oldies would be a strong group that should be able to survive till the merger. Then, after the merger, Silas could work his charm while the oldies were being their annoying selves. Sure, it worked out in the end, but if Lindsay had lost the tiebreaker, he'd be looking mighty stupid right now.

A virtual guarnatee of the merger vs. a 50/50 chance at the merger?

das
Old 10-26-01, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 628 Likes on 504 Posts
Originally posted by Gandalf

I think the motivating factor for Silas was:

The sooner I don't have to listen to Linda babble, the better, even if it means I don't win the million.

It sure would have been the motivating factor for me.
Old 10-26-01, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the young Sambo's just got incredibly lucky in the tie-break, which could have gone either way. Fate just happened to screw the oldies.

Carl has no one to blame but himself for opening his big yap, and letting people know about his expensive cars and dentistry practice, and lifestyle. He should have played it like Rodger from Survivor 2 where he just played the country shop teacher (but he had been a bank president, and quite well off financially).

I would think it'd be funny if the oldies just sat back and let the young Sambo's go get the water, do the cooking, etc. Plus Brandon and Kim P. will have to be in the next challenge while one of the other Sambo's sits it out (more work for Brandon and Kim P.)

Last edited by Patman; 10-26-01 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-26-01, 02:23 PM

I think the young Sambo's just got incredibly lucky in the tie-break, which could have gone either way. Fate just happened to screw the oldies.

Carl has no one to blame but himself for opening his big yap, and letting people know about his expensive cars and dentistry practice, and lifestyle. He should have played it like Rodger from Survivor 2 where he just played the country shop teacher (but he had been a bank president, and quite well off financially).

I would think it'd be funny if the oldies just sat back and let the young Sambo's go get the water, do the cooking, etc. Plus Brandon and Kim P. will have to be in the next challenge while one of the other Sambo's sits it out (more work for Brandon and Kim P.)

Just to clarify. I believe that when Brandon and Kim P. did not participate in the reward challenge that they were told they they would have to participate in the the immunity challenge which followed and they did. At the time, they didn't know and Jeff couldn't tell them what type of challenge it would be and, as it turned out, it was one in which everyone from both tribes participated in.

So, still down one member, if there is a reward of immunity challenge that would require someone to sit out, I believe that Bradon or Kim would be allowed to do so again.

I agree this Survivor is the weakest. The first show really "looked" fun and like something we might want to do. While the cast desrcibed it as extremely difficult (and I'm sure it was), there also seemed to be more fun on the first one. Then the Outback seemed more difficult and this one seems outright scary. I just don't think it plays as well on tv to see these people dying and passing out and throwing up every day. It's more like boot camp. Lazy on the first Survivor was Gervase playing cards and not fishing or getting water (which was provided for them at least), while on this show lazy is if you don't work, work, work 24/7 like the military guy wants to do. Maybe he's right to want that, but it's not much in the way of entertaining, which Number one was a lot, number 2 was pretty good at, and this one seems to be lagging far behind the others to this point.

Also, while it's seems the show casts people to fit the same kind of profile as the people from other shows, there is no Colleen or Elisabeth (not even a hot but quiet Amber) on this one. Not even close. Lindsay, maybe they were thinking or Jessie (gone anyway)? I don't think so...not even close.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.