Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What no Buffy thread for tonights episode?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-23-01, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think those three fan-boys are funny but I want to get on with what is happening to Willow and why hasn't Giles mentioned her threat to Buffy yet? Is Giles back for the whole season, or is he leaving again?
Old 10-23-01, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tonight' UPN Buffy was a bit quirky with its "Let's find Buffy a job" tack. Those 3 geeks are just a little too much on this side of pathetic.

Spoiler:
So how much did Giles give Buffy and Dawn?

What was with the "8" on Buffy's jacket?
Old 10-23-01, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Favorite line of the night: "I'm a breast girl...but you all knew that..."
Old 10-23-01, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked this episode...It was really funny...
Old 10-24-01, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I'm guessing Giles is leaving because after she said to Giles that she's glad he's always there he had a look after she left that kind of foreshadowed the fact that he won't be there much longer. Sorry for the run-on sentence.
Old 10-24-01, 01:22 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think the most telling thing might be that Head is a 'guest star' in the credits.

Anyways, some much needed comedy from the 'super-villains'. The Star Wars/ James Bond references were hilarious. As long as they don't drag out the story too many episodes.

So, I wonder what Buffy will be doing next episode - try to get another job or go back to school? A page out of my book actually....
Old 10-24-01, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I missed it

Don't suppose there's anyone that taped it to watch later and would be willing to send me a copy if I sent you a blank tape and $$ for shipping?
Old 10-24-01, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I liked this ep a lot. Funnier than I have seen one in a long time. I love the Troika, but I hope they're not around for the whole season. A few more eps and Buffy should catch them/take care of them IMHO.

Mongo, check your UPN listings. Most stations replay the ep on the weekend sometime.

X
Old 10-24-01, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MrN
I think the most telling thing might be that Head is a 'guest star' in the credits.
Not necessarily. Remember that Buffy’s mom was also listed as a guest star for a long time.

The Brat Pack is OK once in a while, but I hope they aren’t going to be “regulars.”

“Keep your hands off my bone.” But

So, what’s with the love affair between Giles and Buffy? “What” you say? Remember last episode (?) when Buffy was making up the couch and Giles reached for her (and missed)? This time he’s got his hand on her shoulder in a comforting (albeit tender) way. I thought the camera work showed a subtle connection being made, that Buffy may not be aware of due to other problems being on her mind. And her reference to a father figure, with Giles trying to turn it around to an uncle or something. To paraphrase Will Smith (MiB), “I think he’s up to some sh!t, Zed.”

Hmmmmm…
Old 10-24-01, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How much longer will Giles be on the show with the Scoobs? I know I saw him in the Buffy: The Musical previews.

So no one know how much money Giles gave Buffy and Dawn? It seemed awfully convenient to write in "that much" money into Buffy's bank account. Was the money from the sale of the Magic Box store to Anya?

Is Buffy really that "skill-less" in terms of getting and keeping a job? It just seemed strange that Buffy now has Giles as a Sugar Daddy.
Old 10-24-01, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Wizdar

So, what’s with the love affair between Giles and Buffy? “What” you say? Remember last episode (?) when Buffy was making up the couch and Giles reached for her (and missed)
He didnt miss. She got up and walked away. It was showing her disconnection. You know, how both Giles and Willow (especially Willow in the last ep) have stated to Buffy how her emotional responses were diluted? He was trying to be comforting and I guess after being in Perfect Peace and Bliss, she has problems recognizing such simple gestures... He's not remotely interested in her romantically.

Anthony Stewart Head(Giles) is no longer a cast member. He has moved back to England to be close to his wife and children. He will only be in the next few episodes, (I want to say only the next three, but I'm not 100% sure) Joss Whedon has thought up a limited series called "The Watcher" for him, that Whedon wants to do in conjunction with the BBC so Head can stay in England and so that it will have a style that sets it apart from Buffy.

I really dont like the Geeky Crime Trifecta. I will be very glad to see them go. It was humorous for a bit, but a third into last nights episode, they were beating a dead horse with all the geek jokes, and I am sick of them. Buffy needs a more serious advesary to pop up.
Old 10-24-01, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Geek Trio remind me of unpolished Kevin Smith dialogue run amok.
Old 10-24-01, 02:58 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not necessarily. Remember that Buffy’s mom was also listed as a guest star for a long time.

I'm just saying, since he was once a regular, his 'guest star' status is effectively a demotion. Just seems like he's not going to last the season.
Old 10-24-01, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Giles won't make it past episode 10 this season.
Old 10-24-01, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

With Giles giving Buffy the money, Buffy is now on the Watcher's council payroll. Money changes everything.

I would think that Giles will be called back to England, and replaced by someone who's probably the antithesis of Giles, someone who's fun (which is needed since Buffy is in such a funk) and is in tuned with what is needed to battle the vampires (remember why we still watch the show?) in this day and age? There will be a period of adjustment between this new watcher and Buffy (and the Scoobs). But in the end, hopefully the new watcher will grow on the viewers.

BTW, why are the supporting cast called "the Scoobs" - just because they resemble the Scooby Doo gang?
Old 10-24-01, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember that they called themselves that in one of the early episodes, and it sorta stuck.
Old 10-24-01, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Slumbering Fist
He didnt miss. She got up and walked away. It was showing her disconnection.
Wrong POV. Of course she didn't notice. I'm looking from Giles POV, and, yes, he missed because she moved. I can't help thinking there must have been a point to that shot, which has not been addressed.

I forgot about ASH's gig in England. Supports my theory, though. [Conjecture] Giles has a thing building for Buffy, but will eventually realize he's robbing the cradle/teacher student/father daughter, whatever, and banishes himself to England. Either there will be a passionate scene leading to the realization ("Oh, Buffy!" "Giles, eeeuuu!"), or he'll confide with someone (Spike?!?) and leave before Buffy gets wind of it. [/conjecture]

Side bets, anyone?
Old 10-24-01, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Giles does not have "a thing" for Buffy. He loves her like a daughter and wanted to comfort her. That's all.

As for ASH leaving the show, we've discussed this ad nauseum in other threads, but the story's the same. No demotion. No animosity. ASH has always wanted to spend more time with his family, but he loves Buffy (the show, Wizdar! ) so much that he kept working. He's leaving now, because he went to Joss and suggested that the Giles character really had nowhere to go and had little growth in his future. He said that if Joss could write an angle that made sense for him to stay, he'd gladly keep working, but if he was just going to be a figurehead (not a Stuart Head yuk yuk *ducks*), he would like to return home to his family.

Joss agreed that the Giles character had limited potential in the 'Buffy' future but could be many more things outside of Sunnydale. They came up with 'The Watcher', which would give both Joss and ASH a chance to explore the Giles character further while also allowing ASH to spend more time with his family.

While all this means ASH is moving to England, it does not spell the end for Giles on 'Buffy'. The key here is that he's living in England and not the US. That means he can't star on the series, but they could fly him in for a week and film scenes for 5 different episodes without too much trouble. Whether they'll do that or not is still up for grabs and depends on how much work ASH does with his brother in England and whether 'The Watcher' goes into full production. There are many possibilities, and for now, they're keeping their options open.

Spoiler:
It sure would be cool to see Willow kill Giles ...

das
Old 10-24-01, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Patman
The Geek Trio remind me of unpolished Kevin Smith dialogue run amok.
Glad I'm not alone in my sour taste for them.
Originally posted by Patman
I would think that Giles will be called back to England, and replaced by someone who's probably the antithesis of Giles, someone who's fun.
I do believe Buffy removed herself from being affiliated with the Council, so she probably wont be getting a new Watcher.
I'm looking from Giles POV, and, yes, he missed because she moved. I can't help thinking there must have been a point to that shot, which has not been addressed.
Like I said, the point was to show her emotional disconnection. And from Giles point of view, he was just making a consoling (not sexual) gesture, that she didnt recognize. I dont think they would muck up the Giles-Buffy relationship with any secret sexual revelation right before he leaves. Besides, Buffy is all about insinuating whats to come, months, years ahead of time, and there has been no such hint that Giles thinks of her in a sexual way.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 10-24-01 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-24-01, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
but he loves Buffy (the show, Wizdar! )
It should be obvious that I haven't a clue about what's happening with the ASH situation, and thus am not confused by it. [Seinfeld] Not that I'm saying you are. [/Seinfeld] I'm merely proposing a possible storyline.

That does it! This is my last post in TV Talk until after lunch!!

[Wizdar stomps out to Burger King.]

Last edited by Wizdar; 10-24-01 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-24-01, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who's ASH's brother? Murray?

[Edited to add: Yep. I looked it up. I'm so smart.

No relation to Edith, however.]

Last edited by adamblast; 10-24-01 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-24-01, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey

Spoiler:
It sure would be cool to see Willow kill Giles ...

das
Spoiler:
How could you say that!! I do not agree...maybe Willow should kill Tara
Old 10-24-01, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally posted by adamblast
Who's ASH's brother? Murray?

[Edited to add: Yep. I looked it up. I'm so smart.

No relation to Edith, however.]
Good grief, when I read this I immediately remembered seeing a Murray Head in a great 1966 movie called The Family Way.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0060395

BTW, this film should be released on DVD.
Old 10-25-01, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm still kinda new to the Buffy-verse, and I'm learning pretty quick, but can someone give me a rundown on Spike's "chip"?

Or better yet, point me to a good, dedicated Buffy/Angel site? You guys are cool, but I need more!

tks
Old 10-25-01, 02:21 AM

Originally posted by milo bloom
I'm still kinda new to the Buffy-verse, and I'm learning pretty quick, but can someone give me a rundown on Spike's "chip"?
Basically, in Season 4, there was this government-funded group of soldiers who went around kidnapping demons and experimenting/tagging/killing them. They nabbed Spike, and stuck a computer chip in his head. He found that he could no longer feed off humans, or even physically threaten them--any act or movement towards violence against a human gave him shooting pains in his brain (he can't even aim a gun at a person). He attempted to get the thing removed, but the brain surgeon cheated him. His almost total helplessness led to him mooching off the Scoobies (he lived with Giles for a while), and occasionally doing jobs for them for cash.

Or better yet, point me to a good, dedicated Buffy/Angel site? You guys are cool, but I need more!

tks
If you've got the time, I'd recommend SunS (and their affiliated Angel site), as they have episode recaps and reviews for pretty much every episode up through Bargaining pt 2. They can be found at: http://www.enteract.com/~perridox/SunS/index.html

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.