Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So... at the end of Smallville

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-16-01, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know the artist/song that was playing?
Old 10-16-01, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounded kind of like Lighthouse.
Old 10-16-01, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, what'd you think of the show? I thought it was decent. I'll definitely give it a few more weeks to see if I get hooked or not. Luthor seems pretty cool...and it's a nice treat to have Superman III's Lana Lane as Clark's mom. Having Bo Duke in the show doesn't hurt either.
Old 10-16-01, 10:45 PM

I liked it a lot, and the song is everything by lifehouse. They did a good job of setting it up to where there can be enemies to give Clark somewhat of a challenge via the "freaky stuff" in Smallvile as a result of the meteor shower.
Old 10-17-01, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's an interesting thing: My wife is Japanese so we often watch TV with the closed-captioning on (it helps her understand words she doesn't recognize). Everytime there was a song played during Smallville (there were about 4 of them), the closed-captioned lyrics bore absolutely no resemblence to the lyrics being sung, except for the final song. Guess they must have switched soundtracks at the last minute, after the captioning had been done. It'll be interesting to see if it happens on further episodes (if you taped it, try it yourself).
Old 10-17-01, 08:01 PM

(Edited because I didnt see the other thread. Will Check there for spoilers.)

Last edited by Pharoh; 10-17-01 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-08-11, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: So... at the end of Smallville

So from what I can tell this was the Pilot thread. Not the same as threads started by DJ with all the info these days.

Anyway, instead of starting a new thread I figure I'd bump this since the CW is re-airing the pilot this evening in honor of the show wrapping up. After this it will be new episodes through to the series finale.

Title: Pilot
Episode 1 of 22
Original Air Date: 16 October 2001
Synopsis: Tells the story of the meteor shower that hit Smallville and changed life in the Kansas town forever. Clark Kent meets Lex Luthor for the first time and encounters the first in a long line of humans mutated by the strange green meteor rocks that accompanied him on his journey to Earth.

Original WB trailer:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4-4lrZZn6uw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Current CW trailer:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Rjjazq6VrGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It should be a fun walk down memory lane. I'm honestly not sure if I've seen the pilot since it first premiered!
Old 04-08-11, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Arkonne View Post
Does anyone know the artist/song that was playing?
It's been barely a month since terrorists hijacked four passenger jets and flew them into the WTC towers and Pentagon, and you're worried about what song was playing during a stupid TV show???? Unbelievable.
Old 04-08-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

/\ To be fair, that was before they amended Never Forget to include the Smallville playlist.
Old 04-08-11, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Arkonne View Post
They did a good job of setting it up to where there can be enemies to give Clark somewhat of a challenge via the "freaky stuff" in Smallvile as a result of the meteor shower.
Little did you know...
Old 04-09-11, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
It's been barely a month since terrorists hijacked four passenger jets and flew them into the WTC towers and Pentagon, and you're worried about what song was playing during a stupid TV show???? Unbelievable.
It could have been worse--Enterprise also premiered in fall 2001.
Old 04-09-11, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

anyone else notice that the paper Lionel was reading in the opening helicopter scene said that Queen Industries CEO was presumed dead
interesting that they thought to throw in a mention of Queen Industries from day 1
Old 04-09-11, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
It could have been worse--Enterprise also premiered in fall 2001.
Or "What explosives did the terrorist chick use to blow up the jetliner on 24?"... which premiered almost 2 months after 9/11.
Old 04-09-11, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Whoever did the casting for Smallville is the only reason the show stayed on the air for a decade. Tom Welling could not act in the beginning, but he sure looked the part.
Old 04-09-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt View Post
anyone else notice that the paper Lionel was reading in the opening helicopter scene said that Queen Industries CEO was presumed dead
interesting that they thought to throw in a mention of Queen Industries from day 1
Very cool. It actually had me wondering if they went back and changed it later. That is some serious setup, 6-7 years prior to the character's intdroduction.
Old 04-09-11, 12:13 PM
ATX

i havent seen that episode since it aired and i immediately noticed the paper this time...

most times i think the props are irrelevant or just random red herrings, but i'd guess it's a device that allows the writers to go back and pretend they planned something from the jump

maybe they went through a whole bunch of different pilot script versions and a queen character was in one of em?
Old 04-09-11, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Very cool. It actually had me wondering if they went back and changed it later. That is some serious setup, 6-7 years prior to the character's intdroduction.
I'm not 100% on the timeline. Was the paper referring to Oliver and his island adventure, or the murder of his parents by Lionel?
Old 04-10-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Since it was Lionel reading the paper, I assumed the article was about his Oliver's parents.
Old 04-11-11, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Since it was Lionel reading the paper, I assumed the article was about his Oliver's parents.
that plus it was 1989
wasn't Oliver's island adventure a bit later than that?